Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Movie 2015 ....... So Far

• 11-10-2015 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The clue is in the question .......... what's your favourite movie(s) of 2015 so far?

If you pick other then post the movie please .......... also what movie are you most looking forward to seeing released before 2016??

Best Movie 2015 360 votes

Avengers: Age Of Ultron
    0%
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    2%
    WossackRoyalMarineflaziounplayabletesttech05AwesomenessWhatsisnameNewCorkLad 8 votes
    Jurassic World
    30%
    .akSimineGevDempseyWossackEvac101HyzepherBacchusweemcdSkerriesKiithionapaulRoarPlayboy[Deleted User][Deleted User]MickerooRoddy23bad2daboneCunning Alias 109 votes
    Inside Out
    3%
    WossackMickeroo[Deleted User]The DavestatorgerrybbaddHigginsJdoc hollidayStaticAge11hadepsxargentumJasper79tvc15canhefixitBarJustas 14 votes
    Terminator Genysis
    7%
    gandalfmewsoneGevWossackHyzepherapplehunterMickerooelekidMezcitaevil_seedFuzzy_DunloppinksoirstesaurusbogmanfanshamcfcDozen Wicked WordsMark HamillpixelburpJennyAntobriendj 28 votes
    Kingsman: The Secret Service
    1%
    WossackgeeceeAMKCYoungblood.III 4 votes
    Everest
    5%
    VenomgandalfSkySterWossackGHOST MGGthe_barfly1franmanRoyalMarineRaelpedigreedreamers75CitizenpainerrlloydFloatingVoterjamo2oo9YamanotowotausernameMadDog76Movie Maestro 19 votes
    Ex Machina
    1%
    Wossackbarry75nok2008crustyblaMantis Toboggan 5 votes
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
    12%
    gandalfneGevWossackmachiavellianmeHyzepherb318ispsafetyboyKeyzerMickeroojv2000Raelevil_seedFuzzy_DunloppinksoirMizu_Gerxtal191Captain Chaos2smiggyReg'stoyTiGeR KiNgS 45 votes
    Spy
    2%
    WossackMickeroo[Deleted User]TiGeR KiNgSnotGillphobia2011FalthyronAMKC 8 votes
    Minions
    1%
    WossackMickerooDvBMike LitorisJP Liz V1MadDog76 6 votes
    Selma
    0%
    WossackYoungblood.III 2 votes
    The Martian
    1%
    WossackbaldbearFloatingVoterAMKC 4 votes
    Southpaw
    12%
    neGevDempseyWossackHyzepherHal1celtic_ozMickerooroyoftheroversGoldsteinjcrowbarDuggy747[Deleted User]Fuzzy_Dunlopmikhailpinksoirstesaurusdavidsatelle100gebbelzac8Roaster 44 votes
    Tomorrowland
    4%
    WossackRoyalMarineDvB[Deleted User]Insane Ramblingtesttech05toodleytooTommyboy87phobia2011stringofmiserywotausernamesquare ballpaul0103MadDog76ejabrod 15 votes
    Home
    0%
    WossackTipsy McSwagger 2 votes
    A Most Violent Year
    0%
    WossackJumpShivers 2 votes
    Magic Mike XXL
    1%
    Wossackadrian522Mizu_Gerxtal191the incredible puddingOEPMadDog76 7 votes
    Amy
    0%
    Wossack 1 vote
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
    1%
    Wossackfunnights74BailMeOutMadDog76spud82 5 votes
    Straight Outta Compton
    1%
    WossackHyzepherRaoul DukeFuzzy_DunlopstesaurusMan With The HarmonicaEvil Corp 7 votes
    The Gunman
    5%
    WossackDave147evil_seedpinksoirktulu123ollie1[Deleted User]thereitisgoneFrankie5Angelshadepsx.E_C_K_S.phobia2011tvc15plastik90IanOBoMadDog76ejabrodBret Hart 18 votes
    Child 44
    0%
    WossackwotausernameMadDog76 3 votes
    The Boy Next Door
    0%
    Wossackjohny33MadDog76 3 votes
    Other
    0%
    Wossack 1 vote

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Berkieahern

Blackmass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The Boy Next Door
    Blackmass

Really looking forward to that one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Jurassic World
    My top 50: http://letterboxd.com/she_esh/list/2015-releases-ranked/

Should be wary about turning this into a list thread so I'll post some thoughts. Mad Max Fury Road is the most thrilling and subversive big budget action movie since the original Die Hard. The kind of grand visual storytelling that we rarely get outside of animation and the silent era. Insanely fun, surprisingly thoughtful and amazingly demented. Will never forget sitting in Cineworld's IMAX screen grinning ear to ear at the fact that this kind of 100 million dollar movie exists.

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch is a wonderful top off to one of the most unique trilogies in all of cinema. Definitely watch Songs from the Second Floor and You The Living first though!

Inside Out is Pixar's best achievement to date: Smart, funny, layered, nuanced, very moving and also bold in how it counters the glib "don't worry be happy" stuff that mainstream kids movies have become. So lovely that it climaxes not in
    violence or evil being defeated but in its own character shedding tears and the catharsis and empathy that comes from that.
    It's such a beautiful movie.

...and the "Only God Forgives" award for most underrated and misunderstood movie goes to Blackhat. ;)

The Boy Next Door
    e_e wrote: »
    My top 50: http://letterboxd.com/she_esh/list/2015-releases-ranked/

Should be wary about turning this into a list thread so I'll post some thoughts. Mad Max Fury Road is the most thrilling and subversive big budget action movie since the original Die Hard. The kind of grand visual storytelling that we rarely get outside of animation and the silent era. Insanely fun, surprisingly thoughtful and amazingly demented.

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch is a wonderful top off to one of the most unique trilogies in all of cinema. Definitely watch Songs from the Second Floor and You The Living first though!

Inside Out is Pixar's best achievement to date: Smart, funny, layered, nuanced, very moving and also bold in how it counters the glib "don't worry be happy" stuff that mainstream kids movies have become. So lovely that it climaxes not in
    violence or evil being defeated but in its own character shedding tears and the catharsis and empathy that comes from that.
    It's such a beautiful movie.

...and the "Only God Forgives" award for most underrated and misunderstood movie goes to Blackhat. ;)

Plus one on Blackhat, my kids loved Inside Out but it wasn't for me ............ must check out the A Pigeon Sat on a Branch trilogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Jurassic World
    It's been a very good year so far for films. I had to vote for Fury Road just excellent from start to finish although Whiplash, Love and Mercy, Inside Out and Sicario were pushing it close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Sphynxinatron

Jurassic World
    Mad Max so far, nearly flawless movie, don't care if it was a little bit thin on the plot. Waiting for Spectre

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Not a great year for movies, I think Turbo Kid might actually be my favourite thus far - Mad Max/Love & Mercy/Dope would be runners up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Man With The Harmonica

Straight Outta Compton
    Me & Earl & The Dying Girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Saw 'The Gift' last week and really enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Jurassic World
    Seeing as it came out in 2015 just about everywhere, I'm going with Timbuktu. Expecting it to be the main contender to fury road and inside out on the end of year lists too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Gift is a good shout as is Mad Max,I'l say Duke Of Burgundy though, really enjoyed that and is now on netflix as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Am I the only person who found mad max very very "meh"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Southpaw
    I want to point out that Birdman was released here on January 1st. I presume it was left off because it was released earlier in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Seeing as it came out in 2015 just about everywhere, I'm going with Timbuktu. Expecting it to be the main contender to fury road and inside out on the end of year lists too.

Timbuktu is also my favourite of the year, although Jauja comes a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Terminator Genysis

Nope! I salute you sir/madam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Black Mass for me aswell.
    Overall I think so far it's been a very bad year film wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jurassic World
    Terminator Genysis?..... A few questionable choices, to be fair.

I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed any movie more than Fury Road, but I did think The Duke of Burgundy was excellent too, a very close one and two so far this year.Enemy was another one that will be up there come the years end, even if it was a 2014 film, technically.

Also, why are some people voting for more than one movie?

Ex Machina gets my vote for most over-rated. Perfectly fine and all, but it's unworthy of all the praise that's been heaped upon it.

Jurassic World
    blade1 wrote: »
    As somebody who has been regularly catching up on new releases for 7 years now I've not once gotten this. Hell there's been over 60 films I've liked so far this year and at least a dozen I've outright loved. I'll count a year as bad when there's no longer several interesting films out every single week, have missed a good lot due to short runs and very limited releases too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

blade1 wrote: »
    Black Mass for me aswell.

Black Mass hasn't even been released here yet!

Every year is a good year for films, there’s just so many released.

Sicario and Blackhat are two of my favourites this year, two compelling and exciting thrillers. It Follows was one of the creepiest and most original horror films in years. Force Majeure was excellent, very blackly comic and great to look at. I can’t decide which Noah Baumbach film I preferred this year, While We’re Young or Mistress America, both fantastic.

Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation was a great summer blockbuster, the opera sequence scene of the year. Mad Max Fury Road was insane. Was Whiplash really this year? I loved it. Inherent Vice was confusing as hell but also so impressive.

Jurassic World
    The trailer just makes Black Mass look like "Generic Crime Movie #437". Can't see it beating my favorites for the year, but oh well, open mind I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

There was a horror film bought out called Hidden,

Watched that the other night, thought it was a very good film, Peter Skaarsgard is in it. Very different take on Horror/Thriller film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Jurassic World
    mark13 wrote: »
    Not a great year for movies, I think Turbo Kid might actually be my favourite thus far - Mad Max/Love & Mercy/Dope would be runners up.

Turbo Kid was so much fun. Definitely worth checking out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Look of Silence is perhaps not as rattling a film as its predecessor at first glace. But as it progresses it becomes clear this is a more nuanced, controlled documentary. Oppenheimer's aesthetic is extremely mature and complex here, and the film's eventual startling revelations and almost incredible admissions are more understated yet no less than powerful than the ones in The Act of Killing.

World of Tomorrow cements Don Hertzfeldt as contemporary animation's MVP. In barely 15 minutes, he packs more ideas in than most directors manage in a career - but that those ideas are so visually striking, thematically rich and even emotionally resonant is what makes this so extraordinary. And I only discovered Ming-liang Tsai's ravishing Walker series this year, but his latest entry - the immaculate No, No Sleep - pushes his meditative series of shorts in ever more potent directions.

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence feels like the most complete realisation of Andersson's singular vision so far. With several scenes that could count among the year's best, it altogether comes together as a devastating yet hilarious deconstruction of the mundanity of modern existence.

I was lucky enough to have seen it last year, and ranked it highly accordingly. But a second viewing of Goodbye to Language during its belated general release (months after the Blu-Ray!!) was just as revelatory. It'd be my favourite film of this year if it wasn't also my favourite of last :)

The Boy Next Door
    MadDog76 wrote: »
    The clue is in the question .......... what's your favourite movie(s) of 2015 so far?

If you pick other then post the movie please .......... also what movie are you most looking forward to seeing released before 2016??
    Arghus wrote: »
    Terminator Genysis?..... A few questionable choices, to be fair.

I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed any movie more than Fury Road, but I did think The Duke of Burgundy was excellent too, a very close one and two so far this year.Enemy was another one that will be up there come the years end, even if it was a 2014 film, technically.

Also, why are some people voting for more than one movie?

Ex Machina gets my vote for most over-rated. Perfectly fine and all, but it's unworthy of all the praise that's been heaped upon it.

I wanted to include a broad range of movies hence the few "questionable" choices ......... the list would have been much longer had I not been limited to 25 choices, that's why "other" is included as an option.

Also, I gave posters the option to choose more than one "favourite" movie of the year as sometimes people have a few favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Belial

Best: Hard to Be a God, The Duke of Burgundy, Ex Machina, A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, Stray Dogs

Worst: Terminator Genisys, Jurassic World, Avengers 2

Underrated: Chappie, Lost River, Unfriended

Overrated: Goodbye to Language, Whiplash, Inside Out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Jurassic World

I think this comment is very 'meh' :pac:. No in truth it has his detractors, I think along with the Raid movies the best action film of god knows how long. I will stand by that film, like I did Interstellar last year, and fight its corner. It's great to see it's winning the poll so it seems only a portion of people find it meh.

I think the biggest 'meh' film I've seen this year was only last week and it was the Martian, Matt Damon is excellent but it was way over long and rather boring in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BarJustas

Inside Out
    Mad Max: Fury Road !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Jurassic World
    Mad Max - Fury Road

Comfortably the most enjoyable film of the year so far. In fact, only rewatched it this evening for the first time since the cinema release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Jurassic World
    McDermotX wrote: »
    Mad Max - Fury Road

Comfortably the most enjoyable film of the year so far. In fact, only rewatched it this evening for the first time since the cinema release.

was it all shiny and chrome?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So apparently Blackhat wasn't crap, I just misunderstood it. Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i dunno what i missed in mad max, the praise its getting in unbelievable in my eyes, i went to see it was 3 of my buddies, we all have different taste in films, 2 of the lads loved the other mad max films, me and another not so much, and we all stood up as the credits rolled and all said it was ****e,

i suppose its great that others liked it and im sure it is what some people want, or a lot of people it seems, to my surprise, i can understand there are all types of movie lovers, but i dont really get the massive love in for this film, i know i didnt like it, but i just cant see how its so universally loved,

but fair enough, it just really wasnt my cup of tea, over the top visuals with little to no story never really done it for me, this goes into my only god forgives category,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Jurassic World
    don ramo wrote: »
    i dunno what i missed in mad max,
    Just not your cup of tea?

Jurassic World
    don ramo wrote: »
    little to no story
    There are many many movies that do even more with less. It's just the case of the narrative being there to be found in the margins and small touches rather than characters saying their goals and motivations out loud throughout the movie. It is detail (not dialog) driven storytelling first and foremost with plenty of rich symbolism and subtext. It's in the silent cinema tradition of storytelling instead of narrative and action being entirely seperate entities.

Jurassic World
    syklops wrote: »
    So apparently Blackhat wasn't crap, I just misunderstood it. Ok.
    I'm talking about the general reaction to the movie, the way critics in particular were against the movie because it was dumped to January and the really silly criticisms of "but but but Chris Hemsworth can't be a hacker!" and "why is the dialog so low?". There were so many nonsensical, shallow and flippant professional reviews around the movie. The odd spot on review aside, I still think the reaction would have been way more positive if it had been released later in the year.

I mean if you didn't like it then fair enough, don't take it personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Birdman for me.

I also liked The Gift and Gemma Bovery.

Terminator Genisys I really enjoyed. Don't get the hate for it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

I'm talking about the general reaction to the movie, the way critics in particular were against the movie because it was dumped to January and the really silly criticisms of "but but but Chris Hemsworth can't be a hacker!" and "why is the dialog so low?". There were so many nonsensical, shallow and flippant professional reviews around the movie. The odd spot on review aside, I still think the reaction would have been way more positive if it had been released later in the year.

I mean if you didn't like it then fair enough, don't take it personally.

Indeed. Remember the same criticisms hurled at The Matrix for daring to have Keanu Reeves in the role of computer nerd? Nope, neither do I...

The Boy Next Door
    Birdman for me.

The Birdman was released in 2014 which is why it didn't make the list ......... Gemma Bovery is also a 2014 movie ......... I agree with you about Terminator Genisys, I liked it.

Jurassic World
    Birdman for me.

The Birdman was released in 2014 which is why it didn't make the list ......... Gemma Bovery is also a 2014 movie ......... I agree with you about Terminator Genisys, I liked it.
    Came out the beginning of January here.

The Boy Next Door
    Came out the beginning of January here.

January 2nd, I know ......... but it's my list and I'm putting it in the 2014 category, end of! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I really hate reading Irish "Best Films of 2015" lists, filled with 2014 films. It's the same thing every year, but it's annoying. Who cares if it only came out in this little island in January or February? It's been available in the US for months before that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really hate reading Irish "Best Films of 2015" lists, filled with 2014 films. It's the same thing every year, but it's annoying.

If you hate them that much, then why would you read them :confused:

Seems like a legitimately bizarre thing to get frustrated about, given that dividing film releases by year is a fairly arbitrary classification in the first place. Given that many films suffer significant delays between their limited, pre-Christmas releases elsewhere and release here - amplified when it comes to world cinema, where there's often delays of a year or two before we get the chance to see them - you can hardly expect people to just ignore major new films when assessing their year of viewing.

Jurassic World
    I really hate reading Irish "Best Films of 2015" lists, filled with 2014 films. It's the same thing every year, but it's annoying. Who cares if it only came out in this little island in January or February? It's been available in the US for months before that.
    What do you want me to do? Jump in a time travel machine to see what films I enjoy in 2016?

I don't see the point in arbitrarily removing my own subjective experiences. It seems like a needlessly rigid line to draw as we're hardly talking science here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HarryLime84

Jauja with Viggo Mortensen. I feel it's one of those films that will hold up to repeat viewing. Utterly beguiling.

Jauja with Viggo Mortensen. I feel it's one of those films that will heavily reward repeat viewing. Utterly beguiling.

So good I said it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

If you hate them that much, then why would you read them :confused:
    You know what I mean. I like reading best of year lists, to compare how people rated films to how I rated them. But when my lists are by when and where the film was originally released, (usually American release dates), so my lists are just say 2015 films, and then Irish/UK lists are filled with what I consider 2015 and 2014 films, it's not an easy comparison. That's all.
    Seems like a legitimately bizarre thing to get frustrated about, given that dividing film releases by year is a fairly arbitrary classification in the first place. Given that many films suffer significant delays between their limited, pre-Christmas releases elsewhere and release here - amplified when it comes to world cinema, where there's often delays of a year or two before we get the chance to see them - you can hardly expect people to just ignore major new films when assessing their year of viewing.
    I get your point of view, which is the view of most European film rankers, which is the way you've been ranking films for years I imagine. I'm just of the opinion that if a film is released anywhere in say 1995, it's 1995 film. For whatever reason, if it's not released in your home country until 1997 or whatever, it's doesn't make it a 1997 film, in my eyes.

Your list is really "Best Films that were originally released in Ireland, in 2015". Not very catchy, I know.
    e_e wrote:
    What do you want me to do? Jump in a time travel machine to see what films I enjoy in 2016?
    What? No, put films from 2016 on a 2016 list? If you see a film for the first time in 2016, whether it's from 2015 or 1915, it doesn't make it a 2016 film.

Sorry for bringing up this discussion, I'm well aware I'll continue to see European "Best of year" lists, filled with films that weren't originally released that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

In the case of Birdman, I can somewhat see people having a problem with it but Gemma Bovery wasn't released in Ireland until August this year. I seen it on Aug 30th in Cineworld and so of course it's apt to mention it on a list of best movies of 2015 in a country where it wasn't released until August.

Anyway, another film worth mentioning which I seen last week in the IFI is 99 Homes. Was shown at the JDIFF festival during the year. It's excellent. I just double checked the year to make sure that wasn't a 2014 film also... and unbelievably, it is :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Just not your cup of tea?

yeah clearly not,
    There are many many movies that do even more with less. It's just the case of the narrative being there to be found in the margins and small touches rather than characters saying their goals and motivations out loud throughout the movie. It is detail (not dialog) driven storytelling first and foremost with plenty of rich symbolism and subtext. It's in the silent cinema tradition of storytelling instead of narrative and action being entirely seperate entities.

well as i know from talking with you before e_e your well into your visual storytelling, i do love great visuals, but i tend to need more than a coy eye glance to tell me a story, there is a clear story in mad max, just not a very good one in my opinion, the film was padded out with spectacle in my opinion, no different than any other CGI hollywood blockbuster,

like i said earlier i can get that it would have its fan and detractors, im just really surprised that the fans outweigh the detractors so much, but hey, fair enough, i just wanted to give my five cents,

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OldieWilson

Jurassic World
    Mad Max for me. An incredible spectacle

It should only be watched on IMAX though, anything else would be a disservice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Southpaw
    I've seen a lot of good films this year, The Martian being the most recent, but Mad Max was the spectacle for me that genuinely got me pumped during it's sequences. Plot was thin and not much weight in the dialogue but was just a really fun cinematic experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement