Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Movie 2015 ....... So Far

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The Boy Next Door
    b318isp wrote: »
    Interstellar, The Theory of Everything, Whiplash and Brooklyn - none of which are in the poll! From the poll, I did enjoy ExMachina most - but it was too drawn out. Any others listed, which I've seen, are ho-hum.

The reason "Brooklyn" isn't in the poll is it wasn't released at the time I started the thread/poll ......... hence the "So Far" part of the thread title ........ I'll let you guess why the other movies you mentioned were also not included.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That’s enough, guys. Anymore off-topic bickering and this thread will be locked and bans handed out.

MadDog, going by films released in Irish cinemas in 2015 is perfectly reasonable in an Irish discussion forum. If you choose define a film as a 2014 release because you watched a screener before it was released in Ireland, that’s your choice, but you don’t get to impose it on everyone else contributing to the thread.

Now back on topic everyone please. If anyone has any issues with what I’ve just said, PM me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

In that case then so... another vote here for Whiplash :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The Boy Next Door
    Looks like Mad Max is gonna be the Best Movie of 2015! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It’s still a work in progress, but my top 25 as it currently stands would look something like this: (These are films I’ve seen rather than just those released in Ireland in 2015 and includes some that are still in UK/Irish distribution limbo.)

Carol, Mad Max Fury Road, Birdman, The Duke of Burgandy, Whiplash, You’re Sleeping Nicole, Girlhood, The Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, Me Earl and the Dying Girl, Les Combattants, The Tribe, Inherent Vice, Inside Out, Phoenix, Breathe, A Girl at My Door, Before I Disappear, The Falling, Testament of Youth, Ex Machina, Force Majeure, The Man from Reno, Enemy, Faults, Paper Towns.

Carol and Fury Road are a tie for my best film of the year. I can’t really decide which I loved more, they are so different. It’s a been a great year I think. And I missed a few things as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Brooklyn or Sicario are the ones I enjoyed the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Jurassic World
    Won't be seeing any more new movies so this is my top 25:

25. National Gallery
    24. Inside Out
    23. Sicario
    22. Song of the Sea
    21. From What Is Before
    20. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
    19. Double Play: James Benning and Richard Linklater
    18. The Look of Silence
    17. Black Coal, Thin Ice
    16. Heaven Knows What
    15. The Duke of Burgundy
    14. Blind
    13. Birdman
    12. Inherent Vice
    11. Goodbye to Language 3D
    10. Steve Jobs
    9. Force Majeure
    8. Taxi Tehran
    7. Whiplash
    6. The Force Awakens (Will be interesting to see how this holds up)
    5. Blachhat
    4. Horse Money
    3. Mad Max Fury Road
    2. A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence
    1. Carol

It's been another excellent year, I've a top 50 and the lowest rated movie on it still got 7/10 from me.

I saw Brooklyn the other night and ugh didn’t care for it all. I love the subject matter of Irish immigration in the '50s having studied it a bit in college, but the film was a far too rose-tinted and sanitised a depiction of it for my liking. Whose idea was it get Hornby to write this? What was the pitch: Nicholas Spark for the grey pound audience?

You liked Blackhat, e_e? Like really? I dunno, I just can’t get over how Mann has become Howard Hawks: remaking the same movie over and over. I’m just sitting there thinking why am I watching this when I could be watching Heat for the 100th time instead? Part of the problem is that I’m huge Mann fan and I notice when he reuses the same dialogue and music from previous films. Also I just can’t take Hemsworth seriously as the hacker with a great bod who can fire a gun and engage in hand-to-hand combat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Jurassic World
    I loved Blackhat. Took me two viewings to properly connect (ahem) with it but I think it's Mann's most aesthetically rich and exciting film to date. No other film looks and moves like it imo, not even Miami Vice and Collateral. I love too how it's a sci-fi movie about now that looks at cityscapes, networks and land in ways we really haven't seen before on screen. I'm a little confused at the near constant complaints about Hemsworth's casting too, as if a scrawny 5 foot guy with thick rimmed glasses would have made the film better.

tumblr_nr3ogu7DCj1qfn8qfo3_640.png

Plus that cinematography.

So much to say about it for me but I'll just throw in a few more positive reviews to counter the critical dogpiling it got: http://letterboxd.com/film/blackhat/reviews/by/activity/

It wasn’t Hemsworth’s casting I had a problem with, more all the Mann-isms he demonstrated which I considered unrealistic for a computer hacker. My criticism is really of Mann’s writing. But you’ve convinced me I should revisit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I saw Brooklyn the other night and ugh didn’t care for it all. I love the subject matter of Irish immigration in the '50s having studied it a bit in college, but the film was a far too rose-tinted and sanitised a depiction of it for my liking. Whose idea was it get Hornby to write this? What was the pitch: Nicholas Spark for the grey pound audience?

I haven't had a chance to see Brooklyn yet, but I was worried that it was going to be a really romanticized depiction of Irish immigration and a bit 'Oirish', if you get me. That period seems to be rarely seen through anything other rose-tinted glasses and I'm not sure I'm all that interested in watching a film that just turns the experience into something 'quaint' and 'charming'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

"Best Film" is sooo subjective. I watched the Film 2015 review of Brooklyn and as good a review they gave it I know it would bore me to tears. Sweet naive Irish girl goes to the big smoke and misses the doting mother and the farm. When I moved away I couldn't wait to get away and when I did I had a ball !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

colossus-x wrote: »
    "Best Film" is sooo subjective. I watched the Film 2015 review of Brooklyn and as good a review they gave it I know it would bore me to tears. Sweet naive Irish girl goes to the big smoke and misses the doting mother and the farm. When I moved away I couldn't wait to get away and when I did I had a ball !

Okay, but to be fair, the film is set in the 1950s. Irish society wasn't as saturated with American culture then as it is now. I'd imagine it's much easier for people emigrating now to know what they're letting themselves in for and to be somewhat prepared than it was for people back in the day. That's not to say that there weren't people in the 50s who were happy to leave Ireland and live elsewhere, but I'm sure there were plenty who emigrated who didn't want to and really missed home when they did.

What I'd be more wary about with films like Brooklyn is the aesthetic, where everything is so "charming" and nostalgic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Racing Extinction Official Festival Trailer (2015) HD
    Racing Extinction will premiere at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival.

Utilizing state-of-the-art equipment, Oscar®-winner Louie Psihoyos (The Cove) assembles a team of artists and activists intent on showing the world never-before-seen images that expose issues of endangered species and mass extinction.

Whether infiltrating notorious black markets with guerilla-style tactics or exploring the scientific causes affecting changes to the environment, "Racing Extinction" will change the way we see the world and our role within it.

Advertisement