Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 dead including Garda following shooting Omeath Co Louth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Could have sworn the gard giving a statement said shotgun. If I'm wrong apologies.

Good job you didn't swear to it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Good job you didn't swear to it then.

Oh Jesus relax ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Strider wrote: »
    No they didn't, they said it was a handgun used, specifically a Glock pistol.

It is being reported everywhere as a handgun, the only place I heard it was a shotgun was your posts.

Definitely a 9mm glock hand gun used according to rte 6-1 news. The reporter went to link them to being a favourite weapon of criminal gangs .

davycc wrote: »
    Definitely a 9mm glock hand gun used according to rte 6-1 news. The reporter went to link them to being a favourite weapon of criminal gangs .

A very accurate description of dissident republicans. 94% of republics voters and 71% in the north in favor of GFA according to wiki.

A very accurate description of dissident republicans. 94% of republics voters and 71% in the north in favor of GFA according to wiki.

Thankfully a very small minority.

• Advertisement

Thankfully a very small minority.

An intolerable group.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

An intolerable group.

Maria Cahill was National Treasurer of the group that the guy is alleged to have ties with and Labour have just proposed her for the Seanad bye-election

Maria Cahill was National Treasurer of the group that the guy is alleged to have ties with and Labour have just proposed her for the Seanad bye-election

What's the group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Republican Network for Unity (RNU)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

What's the group?

Rnu republican new unity , violent thugs, god bless mairias little cotton socks

Haven't seen any links connecting him to the group. Put the one you seen up. That's interesting alright.

Reading that it says their a political group?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Berkieahern

That's pretty sinister!

Some allegations flying around here lads.

Haven't seen any links connecting him to the group. Put the one you seen up. That's interesting alright.

Reading that it says their a political group?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/adrian-crevan-mackin-not-high-up-in-dissident-movement-1.2388905
    He was charged with membership of an unlawful organisation styling itself the Irish Republican Army, otherwise 'Óglaigh na hÉireann'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't see any evidence here that the RNU have any connection to Óglaigh.

Though I'm not going to pretend that their website portrays an image of peaceful politics-only activists.

seamus wrote: »
    Don't see any evidence here that the RNU have any connection to Óglaigh.

Though I'm not going to pretend that their website portrays an image of peaceful politics-only activists.

I just see someone linking him with a terror group who Maria Cahill has had links with supposedly.

Big allegations. Would be interested to see the sources if true.

I just see someone linking him with a terror group who Maria Cahill has had links with supposedly.

Big allegations. Would be interested to see the sources if true.

Sources for which part, Cahill's history as a dissident and time spent as National Secretary for RNU or the links between the two groups?

The first is already widely known and accepted and has been reported on in the media. The second is something that a number of expert observers and security forces believe to be the case.

I'll dig up some links after I eat

Sources for which part, Cahill's history as a dissident and time spent as National Secretary for RNU or the links between the two groups?

The first is already widely known and accepted and has been reported on in the media. The second is something that a number of expert observers and security forces believe to be the case.

I'll dig up some links after I eat

That Maria Cahill is part of a dissident group?

And that group is R N U?

All it says is he was charged with Ira membership.

I'm genuinely interested if your allegations are true.

Shane on Labour if this is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is very off-topic, though I think a discussion worth having. Maybe set up a thread in Politics Cafe?

That Maria Cahill is part of a dissident group?

And that group is R N U?

All it says is he was charged with Ira membership.

I'm genuinely interested if your allegations are true.

Shane on Labour if this is true.

I won't post on this thread about the issue anymore after this because I don't want to derail it but here you go
    The paper revealed that Cahill, 33, was a member of the Republican Network for Unity (RNU), which was formed in 2007 in opposition to Sinn Fein’s support of the new policing body the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI).

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Mairia-Cahills-link-to-dissident-IRA-group-is-revealed-by-newspaper.html
    Sources said the Republican Network For Unity, the political wing of dissident group Oglaigh na hEireann, were preparing for the event of a funeral which would be attended by leading dissidents from both sides of the Border

http://talkofthetown.ie/2013/07/15/omagh-bomb-suspect-mckenna-dies-after-fall/

If you Google 'RNU / Oglaigh na hEireann' you'll find plenty of material linking the two groups.

I won't post on this thread about the issue anymore after this because I don't want to derail it but here you go

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Mairia-Cahills-link-to-dissident-IRA-group-is-revealed-by-newspaper.html

http://talkofthetown.ie/2013/07/15/omagh-bomb-suspect-mckenna-dies-after-fall/

If you Google 'RNU / Oglaigh na hEireann' you'll find plenty of material linking the two groups.

I read in your link earlier there just a political group and there is no link to terrorism.

Anyway the main point I was interested in was you linking the lad last night to a group Maria Cahill is linked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

what judge let that guy out on bail?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Berkieahern

Hitchens wrote: »

Same detached from reality judges that released the scumbags that attacked the Corcoran family in there home!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ayls

BoatMad wrote: »
    Ayls wrote: »

IN many countries police are increasingly dressed in a kind of paramilitary outfit, loaded with a belt carrying everything from a gun to spray etc. The effect is formidable and distancing

A guard, ( and I hate the hi vis stuff) , in a well presented shirt and tie, embodies the presence of a law abiding state, he or she is a figure of respect yet approachable and non threatening . This is a great icon of policing

too often we turn our police forces into a a counter insurgency paramilitary force. what we want is to engender respect and to punish any attempt to hurt guards with incredibly stiff penalties ( upto and including death sentences in my view for capital crimes ), I would give people 20 years for serious assault of a guard ,10 for a minor one.

I agree it would be preferable in an ideal world to have an unarmed police force and there is the element of it's a sad day when.......but it's now the modern day which requires a modern day police force. The Judge who granted this man bail was afforded armed protection, he (safely) delivered a very dangerous man into an unarmed community. It's a shame this Guard and this victim of his abuse wasn't afforded the same protection.

Edit = That looks like I quoted my own post, don't know what happened, was quoting another poster.

Hitchens wrote: »

The way the law is everyone is innocent until proven guilty.
    Everyone is entitled to their freedom and it takes a lot to keep someone in custody.

This is devastating for all gardai.
    The general public should know that gardai are always at risk. There are many assaults on gardai going to routine calls every day. And in particular domestic incidents.
    There are lots of questions but in rural areas, guards are required to go to calls alone. There are not enough gardai in the country. People living in rural areas are extremely aware there are not enough gardai in their areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Went to Dundalk Garda station today to sign the Book of Condolence. Very sad people there. Two of their members gone in less than 3 years by the gun.
    Loads of people signing.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/suicide-gunman-who-killed-policeman-6623177

Saying he wasn't a member of any group and was disowned at 15.

Some serious mental issues here. Should have been sent to a hospital instead of getting out on bail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

efb wrote: »
    Adams expresses his sympathy, Ferris probably planning the getaway

No tragedy too horrific to get a snide comment in, is there?

Advertisement