Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 dead including Garda following shooting Omeath Co Louth

Options
167891012»

Comments

No tragedy too horrific to get a snide comment in, is there?

Mod

efb's comments have already been actioned, and he is no longer allowed to post in the thread. Please refrain from responding to same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Unfortunately these days unless you hurt someone or yourself you aren't put into hospital these days. Even the threat of it isn't seen as enough as it is just hearsay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

JustTheOne wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/suicide-gunman-who-killed-policeman-6623177

Saying he wasn't a member of any group and was disowned at 15.

Some serious mental issues here. Should have been sent to a hospital instead of getting out on bail.

He was charged with membership of the IRA in January and seems to have had ease of access to a hand gun . sounds like a member to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

There is no doubt that he had psychopathic tendencies, the unhinged type that would likely have him excluded from membership of any criminal group. That does not mean that he wasnt used by and for criminality as an expendable individual. Hence his access to a weapon. No matter what, this individual was a danger to society and seems he'd have been more suited to a high risk psychiatric unit. Not a general prison for him to eventually be bailed. Another criminal that has murdered while on bail, not confined to this country as another Louth victim in Melbourne in recent years would indicate!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Took time off work today to attend the Garda's funeral.
    Nothing as sad as seeing 3 little kids walking behind their father's hearse after he died in that brutal way.
    Lovely service and a great turn out by the Garda force from all over Ireland as well as the local Blackrock community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Took time off work today to attend the Garda's funeral.
    Nothing as sad as seeing 3 little kids walking behind their father's hearse after he died in that brutal way.
    Lovely service and a great turn out by the Garda force from all over Ireland as well as the local Blackrock community.

Agreed. I was there myself. A dark sad day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,396 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Simply reading the news accounts and seeing the photos from today is very sobering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

That poor girl is to have brain surgery today to remove a bullet, I hope it is successful and she makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A link below to a small piece of drone footage of the funeral procession in our village.

https://www.facebook.com/niallcarrollphotography/videos/622641627878053/?permPage=1

RIP.

A link below to a small piece of drone footage of the funeral procession in our village.

https://www.facebook.com/niallcarrollphotography/videos/622641627878053/?permPage=1

RIP.

Incredible footage there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

His mother and father aren't even coming home for his funeral.

Wonder will anyone even turn up.

He is supposed to have put a gun to his mother's head a few years ago in Newry. Maybe that's why they left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

He is supposed to have put a gun to his mother's head a few years ago in Newry. Maybe that's why they left.

Should have been locked up for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

mynamejeff wrote: »
    He was charged with membership of the IRA in January and seems to have had ease of access to a hand gun . sounds like a member to me .

None of the dolly mixture dissident groups would allow him on their landing when he was in prison. It's bad when you're too much of a liability for the dissidents to want you.

South Armagh MLA Megan Fearon cut through the bullshit and made this comment on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/meganfearonsf/posts/719701864840945?pnref=story

Important we remember the cause of Omeath tragedy is Domestic Violence, which affects thousands in Ireland every year. The brave Garda Golden died protecting a woman in need. A 21 year old is now fighting for her life. How many more? We need to act.
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam. My thoughts will continue to be with all those - families, friends and the community - affected by this tragedy.

The real story, one of domestic abuse, is getting lost in sensationalist headlines by papers with one eye on the axe their grinding and one eye on the elections

The real story, one of domestic abuse, is getting lost in sensationalist headlines by papers with one eye on the axe their grinding and one eye on the elections[/QUOTE]

Domestic violence is an issue everywhere.
    Mental health is also a big issue in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I presume he'll have friends who'll turn up. His parents actions really speak volumes as to what they thought of their son. Usually you have mothers standing by their thug kids no matter what they do in life.

More guns and ammo found by Gardai at his home and car as well as full cans of petrol which were allegedly to be used to petrol bomb Siobhan's parents home according to the local radio. If true this lad had the potential and the desire to kill loads more people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Horrible that anyone could do this

http://www.todayfm.com/Garda-Goldens-book-of-condolences-desecrated-

The Taoiseach has condemned the desecration of a book of condolence for the late Garda Tony Golden.

The book was defaced by a member of the public at Drogheda Garda Station on Tuesday.

The book had to be removed and it's reported that the person responsible could face criminal charges.

Speaking at a Fine Gael event in Dublin this evening, Enda Kenny said he was "dismayed" at the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

And yet it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Horrible part of the country, full of awful people. Far too close to that sectarian hellhole up the road.

lawlolawl wrote: »

Horrible part of the country, full of awful people. Far too close to that sectarian hellhole up the road.

Classy comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

And it says a lot about you that you're painting such a wide range of people with the same brush. There's Good and bad people in all areas.

368100 wrote: »
    And it says a lot about you that you're painting such a wide range of people with the same brush. There's Good and bad people in all areas.

Would you like to be a Garda working in the area then?

That's a ridiculous retort. Many Garda are very happy working and living in the area.

Where you are is Nervana I suppose.

I wouldn't like to be a garda in any area. Doesnt mean I don't have respect for the job they do though. Your comment insinuated that everyone from Drogheda and Dundalk areas are horrible people and sectarian, which is a ludicrous statement to make.

That's a ridiculous retort. Many Garda are very happy working and living in the area.

Where you are is Nervana I suppose.

Not sure what "Nervana" is but i live in an area where people don't kill police or desecrate books of condolence for police that have been killed in the line of duty by scummy terrorists.

Not much diesel laundering or murdering of taxi drivers going on down my way either.

Not sure what "Nervana" is but i live in an area where people don't kill police or desecrate books of condolence for police that have been killed in the line of duty by scummy terrorists.

Not much diesel laundering or murdering of taxi drivers going on down my way either.

Have you no shame?. Using a thread on the death of Tony Golden to make wide-sweeping digs at the entire population of a county? Low, very low.

Where is this magic crime free place? I'm sure house prices are sky high due to the utopian lifestyle? Do you all skip down the street to work in the mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Where is this magic crime free place? I'm sure house prices are sky high due to the utopian lifestyle? Do you all skip down the street to work in the mornings?

Well wherever it is it might be free of crime but apparently its full of bigots

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

D4, yes ,yes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/gsoc-takes-case-against-special-criminal-court-over-transcripts-1.3382610

This is an absolute disgrace if its true
    Apparently you can do what you like to your partner if youre an informant. Equally hard for Tony Golden's family to have to live with this news. It would break your heart

Advertisement