Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 dead including Garda following shooting Omeath Co Louth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

From what I hear the reason Mackin was out on bail was because he rocked up to Portlaoise after being lifted and tried to tell one of the groups in there that he was one of their members. They checked this out with their people outside and found it to be false. He was removed from their part of the jail and labelled a "Walter Mitty". This is all being discussed elsewhere on a republican board where absolutely no one has a good word to say about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

He was out on bail for membership of a terrorist organization. I doubt there would be hundreds of cases of domestic abuse each year from people like that. Surely there most be only a handful of people before the courts each year for that charge.

What?

I mean its a different story than someone out to murder someone and get away with it. He turned the gun on himself straight after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I mean its a different story than someone out to murder someone and get away with it. He turned the gun on himself straight after.

Oh yeah I get ya now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That's because he was a coward

• Registered Users Posts: 25,481 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So the guy was unstable.. his other half in fear of her life.. he was a republican dissident and had access to a firearm. Even more reason why poor Garda Golden may have been better off having some backup armed or otherwise in that situation. I know its all hindsight which is very well but i hope it wasnt a case of him not having the resources to back him up on the day and him having to go it alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Strumms wrote: »
    So the guy was unstable.. his other half in fear of her life.. he was a republican dissident and had access to a firearm. Even more reason why poor Garda Golden may have been better off having some backup armed or otherwise in that situation. I know its all hindsight which is very well but i hope it wasnt a case of him not having the resources to back him up on the day and him having to go it alone.

Totally agree. Was just pointing out it wasn't a straight forward out to murder just a gard. Another highlight of mental issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Strumms wrote: »
    I think in this context we are dealing with a little more then your average scumbag who just looses it with his woman after a few too many Dutch gold in fairness.
    He was out on bail for membership of a terrorist organization. I doubt there would be hundreds of cases of domestic abuse each year from people like that. Surely there most be only a handful of people before the courts each year for that charge.

Gardaí go to domestics involving dangerous people all the time, including people with firearms. This one just happened to go wrong. I'm not sure what you think an armed member might have done differently. By all accounts so far, it appears he opened fire with no warning. And he presumably hit the Garda in a vulnerable spot on the vest if it provided no protection.

If anything, this incident highlights a serious issue with domestic violence legislation. This woman had issues on Friday yet, because the courts are closed, a domestic violence order could not be obtained til they opened again on the Thursday. And that's assuming she wanted to get one. Gardaí are virtually powerless to intervene in domestic violence without the victim taking the first step. And in some cases this just is not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Far too early to be speculating about what happened and why. I'm sure if the Garda felt there was a legitimate armed threat he would have taken appropriate precautions.

Also very premature to be claiming that Gardai need to be armed. The Gardai don't want guns, they don't need guns. I would prefer armed criminals managed to threaten people and escape rather than have pitched gun battles with the security services which puts both civilians and Gardai at high risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

From what I hear the reason Mackin was out on bail was because he rocked up to Portlaoise after being lifted and tried to tell one of the groups in there that he was one of their members. They checked this out with their people outside and found it to be false. He was removed from their part of the jail and labelled a "Walter Mitty". This is all being discussed elsewhere on a republican board where absolutely no one has a good word to say about him.

Mackin the same as Gerry Adams so then, sure he wasn't a member either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How come only one Garda was available to respond to such an incident?

I wonder if Fitzgerald will green-light a pay rise for new Gardai in light of this whole thing, or undo some of the cutbacks applied to the force in general?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/capital-is-one-of-the-areas-worst-hit-by-garda-cuts-as-crime-soars-31170275.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-sleeping-cars-2071835-Apr2015/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0428/697225-gra-conference/

Since people are intent on pinning political blame on what happened, perhaps the best place to lay it would be at the feet of the current and former ministers for justice.

• Advertisement

How come only one Garda was available to respond to such an incident?

I wonder if Fitzgerald will green-light a pay rise for new Gardai in light of this whole thing, or undo some of the cutbacks applied to the force in general?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2015/1210/opinion/cuts-leave-communities-at-mercy-of-criminals-358748.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-sleeping-cars-2071835-Apr2015/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0428/697225-gra-conference/

Since people are intent on pinning political blame on what happened, perhaps the best place to lay it would be at the feet of the current and former ministers for justice.

Minister Fitzgerald has increased Garda numbers, but scumbag terrorists won't care a jot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

efb wrote: »
    Do you defend Det Garda McCabe's killing?
    Gerryput himself front and centre of this tragedy
    BoatMad wrote: »
    OK , was that a legally held firearm then , or just where did he get it. ?? ( hint dissident republican movement )
    Another example of the kind of scumbags the 'Republican' movement attracts.

Another shooting/murder sucide, not the first time it has happened in Ireland and unfortunally probaly not the last, But here we have posters who couldent give a **** about the victims or how and why it happened and could be prevented ,they rather take a dig and make snidey comments against the shinners and gerry adams, nice going folks

RIP to the garda and condolences to all the familys concerened.

It's not just a murder/suicide an agent of the state was gunned down by a man with links to terrorist organisations

It's not just a murder/suicide an agent of the state was gunned down by a man with links to terrorist organisations
    The skin on that drum must be getting pretty scuffed by now.

The skin on that drum must be getting pretty scuffed by now.

I was right all along so I don't know what you mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Give it a rest will you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You honestly haven't a clue what you're talking about.

The second half of that is very accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, the courts grant bail because prisoners don't want him. Get real.

Give it a rest will you

OK Col...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,021 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

This is all being discussed elsewhere on a republican board where absolutely no one has a good word to say about him.

A hotbed of intellectual discussion no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

If a white man kills a black man is it automatically a race crime?

Being black or white isn't illegal - so invalid comparison

Being black or white isn't illegal - so invalid comparison

If a drug dealing white man kills a black man is it automatically a drug related race crime?

More shinnerbot whataboutery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

So the brave freedom fighters are trying to distance themselves from an individual associated with them who performed an act that would be seen as detestable by the general public.

Trying to make people think that they are something other than the lowest criminal scum.

If a drug dealing white man kills a black man is it automatically a drug related race crime?

When a subversive kills an agent of the state, it's more than just murder:suicide.
    The justice system even recognises it

Some posters here are as bad as the dregs that you see commenting on Journal.ie articles.

*sigh*

my friend wrote: »
    More shinnerbot whataboutery

I couldn't give a flying fúck about Sinn Féin. This is being reported as a domestic incident and people here from the area are saying it's a domestic incident.

Shinnerbot? How lame do you have to be to use a term like that?
    And whataboutery, are you a politics forum incarnate?

• Advertisement

So, this Mackin boy, word going about he's related to Des Mackin (Sinn Fein finance manager)

Advertisement