Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diswellstown Manor

Options
  • 11-10-2015 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the new development at Diswellstown Manor?

Went to see the show house yesterday. The 5 bed semi-Ds are 550-570 for about 2000square foot.

On the pro side:
    - they are reasonable value for the space/size compared to other new builds in Dublin currently
    - nice location with almost a rural feel to it as you are on the back road to strawberry beds (albeit the estate itself will have 120 houses) but closer to town than where we are currently and with very good amenities around
    -spec of the houses inside is pretty nice, the master in particular on top floor is really spacious etc
    -development itself has some nice green areas etc

Cons:
    - still reasonably steep pricing
    -no separate second sitting room albeit the extended kitchen has a second sitting room and a room upstairs could be used as a study or playroom
    - gardens are pretty small - same size if even as our current terraced 3 bed
    - noise of M50 in some of the roads

thought the layout of upstairs was a little squashed, some rooms very big, some very small but I guess that's estates theses days...! We are looking at them for a trade up but quickly realising lots of compromises involved in any house unless we win the lotto!

Would appreciate any thoughts on the houses for the price etc... We are not precious on location but don't want to increase our commute to work, ideally trying to shorten it...

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Personally I think at that money and especially at 5 bedrooms buying a house attached to another house is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

Personally I think at that money and especially at 5 bedrooms buying a house attached to another house is madness.

Understand where you are coming from completely. And I had a good few cons listed to that effect..

However I don't see any new developments in Dublin of around this size for less? And with all the talk of space shortage it appears like problem will only get worse... If you look at Rokeby Park in Lucan which is further out, they are detached and have plenty of space but are priced 720-780k which seems even crazier!

Pricing seems to have gone mad again. Even new developments halfway down Kildare like Naas etc selling for this type of range for example Pipers Hill. We work very long and sporadic hours and tied to the city so outside of Dub is not within our search unfort

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Understand where you are coming from completely. And I had a good few cons listed to that effect..

However I don't see any new developments in Dublin of around this size for less? And with all the talk of space shortage it appears like problem will only get worse... If you look at Rokeby Park in Lucan which is further out, they are detached and have plenty of space but are priced 720-780k which seems even crazier!

Pricing seems to have gone mad again. Even new developments halfway down Kildare like Naas etc selling for this type of range for example Pipers Hill. We work very long and sporadic hours and tied to the city so outside of Dub is not within our search unfort

yeah the new developments have gone mad, rokeby still has me confused about how they value them at that. Just looking through daft actually and seeing a serious shortage.

have you looked at moyglare in maynooth though : http://www.daft.ie/kildare/houses-for-sale/maynooth/moyglare-hall-maynooth-kildare-650930/?utm_expid=48158508-7.sqRa4eujSguIxT-Hruxasg.0 , its only an additional 10 minutes further than lucan .

or 2200 sq ft in donabate
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/donabate/14-willowbrook-donabate-dublin-1046246/?utm_expid=48158508-7.sqRa4eujSguIxT-Hruxasg.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ballyboughal have a new development with 3000+ sq ft for €550,000.

It is the middle of nowhere though.

January wrote: »
    Ballyboughal have a new development with 3000+ sq ft for €550,000.

It is the middle of nowhere though.

Thanks both, saw those but we already have 70plus hour weeks so don't want to move further out than the circumference of where we are currently, Lucan...

Crazy crazy market again....

It would kill me re to pay that money for a semi d versus what I could get elsewhere in country but we intend to stay living and working in Dublin so just have to face the reality here. Worried if we leave it we will be stuck totally as planning kids on next few years and wouldn't get the mortgage with dependents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Difference between lucan and maynooth is 10 mins or so in the morning, really isn't that much in it especially if you end up finding something you're a lot happier with. Out of curiosity would you consider the area between saggart and kill. As close as lucan, but a lot nicer houses. Few mins to the luas as well
    But no new builds if that's what your after.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Difference between lucan and maynooth is 10 mins or so in the morning, really isn't that much in it especially if you end up finding something you're a lot happier with.
    One added bonus about Maynooth, is it's the start of the Maynooth to Dublin railway line. So if you're going to anywhere near a train station, this can be a plus. Lucan doesn't have a train station.

=-=

You'll hear the M50 from Diswellstown Manor, but you won't notice it after a bit. Being only 15-20 minutes away from the train station is a plus, but you'll either be standing, or not get on as it'll be packed during "rush hour".

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Hi there,

Just wondering have many been sold? Are they been snapped up by eager buyers?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

BettyBoo - would you consider Dunboyne or even Ratoath? Bit further out from D15 but if you are doing long days you may not be travelling in rush hour traffic. Both very commutable into Dublin City centre & €550,000 will buy you a lot of house there with good community facilities.

Thanks all. We have a family member living with us who is in and out of Vincent's a few times a week long term so between that and our work schedule/locations we are looking to decrease our commutes rather than increase. So have a very set circumference area for our next phase of life, longer term we would def move further out.

Back to Diswellstown, when we were up there Sat (2 days into launch) over half of first phase had deposits 'paid' of 5k each. The houses are nice as is the development but no even second sitting room downstairs albeit upstairs floors have plenty flexibility to use a room as a study or office etc. has anyone else been into the development or what are your thoughts?

I heard that over half of first phase of Rokeby are also sold - is this true do you think and will they continue for these prices? It seems madness for a 4 bed in Lucan when there are 5 bed houses in Malahide etc for similar price and less...interestingly of those sold, the most popular house sold was the Swan which is something like 760k or more just for the 4 bed without attic conversion!! We are nowhere near this budget but I'm just flabbergasted at this development!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Any further on in your thinking Bettyboo?

April 73 wrote: »
    Any further on in your thinking Bettyboo?

Hey there

We're not going to proceed with this development, no second sitting room downstairs and parking right outside your sitting room window for 570k just doesn't make sense when we wrote it all down...

I'm sure lots of people will be very happy there though and will be interesting to see how the sales go

What are thoughts as to whether estates like Rokeby or Diswellstown will increase in price with later phases? I would have thought they were already at max end and more but demand will determine I guess or else developers will just sit still

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clonliffe1979

Just wondering if anyone had got a confirmation from Hooke & McDonanld that certain whites goods will now not be included in purchase price, althoiugh had been previously stated they would be on brochures & websites

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Half thought about DM ourselves but there are going to be some serious traffic bottlenecks around this area soon I'd imagine. How many properties make up the Diswellstown Manor, Bracken Park and Hamilton Park developments? I'd guess 500+.
    Knockmaroon Hill through Chapelizod, the M50, Castleknock and the Navan Road are all fit to bursting as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭digiman

Just wondering if anyone had got a confirmation from Hooke & McDonanld that certain whites goods will now not be included in purchase price, althoiugh had been previously stated they would be on brochures & websites

Thanks

It was stated in the pricelist that the washing machine and tumble drier were not included, hopefully there is nothing else.
    mattb74 wrote: »
    Half thought about DM ourselves but there are going to be some serious traffic bottlenecks around this area soon I'd imagine. How many properties make up the Diswellstown Manor, Bracken Park and Hamilton Park developments? I'd guess 500+.
    Knockmaroon Hill through Chapelizod, the M50, Castleknock and the Navan Road are all fit to bursting as it is.

I will probably go with DM, what other options are there in the area though? They are the best that I have seen anywhere around Dublin in that price range but would be open to other options as I would also be very worried about the traffic to.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

mattb74 wrote: »

Hamilton I believe will be 600+ houses upon completion of all phases.
    Currently there's no plan for an entrance to Hamilton from Porterstown road so that's a bit better from a DM traffic point of view. If that changes and an entrance to Hamilton is put in from Porterstown, traffic will be hugely effected and I would expect to devalue DM houses.
    Bracken is 100 or so individual houses and there's also apartments I guess would hold another 24 apartments across all blocks.

digiman wrote: »
    It was stated in the price-list that the washing machine and tumble drier were not included, hopefully there is nothing else.

I will probably go with DM, what other options are there in the area though? They are the best that I have seen anywhere around Dublin in that price range but would be open to other options as I would also be very worried about the traffic to.

On the white-goods - The houses come per the show house with the exception of the Washing Machine & Dryer. (This was mentioned in an addendum to the brochure in the price list flyers available at viewings)
    I've also heard that the appliances are only included for the "first 10 houses sold" but i'm not 100% on that as it was heard from a 3rd party.
    I guess it comes down to each purchasers negotiation at time of contract.

On the traffic - Yep traffic is a major pitfall and it's not likely to be improved with new roads around the sandpits or strawberry beds for many years to come. It's a gamble from the traffic point of view. Great houses tho on the other hand, I think they're also the best around.

I should say "for the price" I think they're best. Bracken park would be the best in the locality i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Myself and my wife had a choice between DM and Hamilton. We ended up going for one of the bigger Hamilton houses. We'll both be working in spencer dock soon (i'm currently city center) and it made more sense for us to be as close to the train station as possible plus the layout of the Hamilton house suited us better than the equivalent price in DM, we really wanted a separate living area as a playroom.

Traffic will only get worse around the area but to be honest it's an absolute nightmare now anyway. I've lived in the area for years and rush hour in the mornings and evenings is brutal. Didn't really factor in for us as we'll be on the train at those times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Be interesting how many more they can fit on the trains considering most of them are standing room only now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sligoman2015

I think that Hamilton Park is a much higher density development than Dis Manor, and Dis Manor looks better. However, no denying that bedroom space is better in Hamilton Park than in Dis Manor. Not sure about the third room downstairs in the 4 beds in Hamilton Park-i think those doors would need to be left open or the kitchen would be very dark indeed.

The traffic situation should be better in Dis Manor as you have 119 units going out one road rather than at least 400 units plus apartments sharing a single exit with a primary school.

Unsure if 5 bed in Dis Manor is worth the approx 80K premium over the 4 bed- any views on this?

• Advertisement

Unsure if 5 bed in Dis Manor is worth the approx 80K premium over the 4 bed- any views on this?

Don't think it's worth it either myself. You're sacrificing any attic for the nursery (which may be being treated as a room itself??)
    The middle floor suffers from the same issue as the 4-beds : not great room layouts.
    Having said that...would still love the 5-bed :P not worth the premium though

...The traffic situation should be better in Dis Manor as you have 119 units going out one road rather than at least 400 units plus apartments sharing a single exit with a primary school....

That one road is now a rat run from Lucan and the back roads from Leixlip/Meath. All roads in the general D.15 feed into the same few main bottlenecks. I wouldn't say it will make much of a difference.

General advice to avoid leaving at school time, or get the train. If you can get on it. Handy cycle to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

beauf wrote: »
    Be interesting how many more they can fit on the trains considering most of them are standing room only now.

My wife gets the docklands train from D15 every morning and never has any complaints about it being busy.

The other routes from maynooth seem to be wedged alright.

You can't get the docklands train every morning, it only runs mon-fri. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

kev22185 wrote: »
    My wife gets the docklands train from D15 every morning

What is this docklands train? What stations does it pass through?

http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables/timetable-pdfs

Basically it's the same to boombridge then goes direct to docklands. Skips Drumcondra and Connolly.

Limited service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

beauf wrote: »
    http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables/timetable-pdfs

Basically it's the same to boombridge then goes direct to docklands. Skips Drumcondra and Connolly.

Limited service.

Thanks, but that listing seems to be for Dart, Connolly, Heuston and Northern Ireland services. Tried selecting 'Broombridge' (there was no offer for Boombridge) and 'Docklands' and got a lot of red lettering saying basically "nothing here, mate".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Thanks, but that listing seems to be for Dart, Connolly, Heuston and Northern Ireland services. Tried selecting 'Broombridge' (there was no offer for Boombridge) and 'Docklands' and got a lot of red lettering saying basically "nothing here, mate".

The timetable is on that page. Look under Connolly & Dart / Dublin- Maynooth/Longford. Broombridge - Docklands included.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/14_m3_parkway_maynooth_longford.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Click into Parkway M3 in the timetable section. It will list the dockland trains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Zilch

I haven't been here in a long time. My friend told me she was reading this and it was something I should read as my house is up for sale. Before I either write in the wrong place, am I allowed offer another house as a suggestion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement