Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger American Rifle

Options
  • 11-10-2015 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Looking at adding a .223 to the cabinet, and seen the Ruger American for under €600. Anyone have one or shoot this rifle. What's it like , seems like a lot of rifle small money.
    Interested in people's thoughts good or bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

I also see it's available in .243 for the same price.
    Rifle will mainly be used for foxes is there any benefit over the .223

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

Ive shot these rifles, they're not great imo id steer clear!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've shot one, not owned, and held a couple in the shops. It's nice little rifle, but the stock is appalling. It's hollow, cheap feel, and has no texture or feel of "grip" to it.

I know you can only expect so much for €600 or less, but if it were me i'd hold out for something a little nicer. As for performance. No real idea. I only took a shot or two from one. No where near enough to give an opinion on it's functionality.

As for .243 over .223. If you go for .243 you may be required to produce deer license or range membership as you're into a deer caliber. So if it's foxes only then the .223 would be the "easier" caliber to go for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Any other recommendations in the €600-800 price range

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Any other recommendations in the €600-800 price range

CZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

+1, CZ have some really nice rifles with small actions that suit .223

What's the opinion on the savage axis also €600

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Very much the same as the Ruger. Nic erifle, good quality, but absolutely crap stock. Cheap feel, hardened plastic and no texture.

The simple fact is with any composite stock on a €600 or less rifle you're going to suffer such things. It's the reason it's cheap. If it's something you can live with them go for either (Personally i prefer Savage). However if you want something a little nicer then either go for a timber stock or up your budget slightly and look at rifles with better stocks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Here is a review of the Savage Axis II - http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/savage_axis_ii_rifle_edgars

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭culchie mick

Ruger american great rifle after bedding it, filled stock, adjusted trigger cost €25 to bed very happy with it shoots great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

My friend has a Ruger American in 308. As has been said already the stock is poor and let's it down. Which is a pity. But it does the job especially if you don't want to be worried about getting a few marks on it in the field stalking.
    But the accuracy of the rifle is very very impressive from a budget gun, better than a lot of much more expensive rifles I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

These are budget guns aimed at either the entry market or multiple gun / calibre owners as seen in the USA. I am biased owning a similar model, Marlin Xs7 .243, but after nearly 4 years of use for Fox's and Deer the little 'supermarket gun' hasn't failed me yet.
    If I do my job it will shoot minute of angle, but to be honest it's not a range gun for firing long strings of shots, but will do perfectly well for dropping a pair of animals who are silly enough to hang around. The most important thing to me is that it will consistently shoot minute of Fox and Deer and I will never (like most average hunters) out shoot the gun.
    I have a bucket list of guns I'd love to own but at the time and for the foreseeable future this will continue to be my stalking rifle and fill my freezer. It's not as pretty as my mates Tika, Styer or Sako but it does the job.
    Anyhow enough justification on my own choices, get your hands on the gun and if you don't hate it go from there. Most modern guns will do the job mounted with relatively good pieces of glass and a confident shot behind the butt. If your looking to make clover leaf patterns in paper all day long dig a bit deeper, but for Mr Fox these will do.

Cookimonster
    (happy owner of a budget gun)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I e never owned the ruger myself but have shot one a fair few times mostly .243 and one in 270.

Not a bad rifle for the money the trigger isn't great it only adjusts from 3-5 pound if I remember correctly. I'd much prefer it over the axis and the Marlin myself.
    I would do the trigger doe that's me myself personally.

I shoot a tikka myself which you would pick up second hand for about your 800.
    That's the tikka light now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Cogswell and harrison with a stainless barrel and thumbhole stock looks lovely and they're €860 i think, would be a lot better option

Advertisement