Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest.. Am I suitable?

Options
  • 11-10-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭

I have a geothermal heat pump which feeds underfloor heating in my house. My house is currently broken up into 2 zones. Upstairs and downstairs. Downstairs there are 3 thermostats, one of which is a *master thermostat. Upstairs there are 4 thermostats. I also have a third "zone" which hears water. 
    I currently have Climote, but the app subscription has lapsed and I no longer have remote control. 

Could I get Nest installed and would I need two units, or a unit for each zone, or a unit for each thermostat?
    Also how does it work with heating systems that work on the night rate only? 

*a master thermostat controls the others. When the master thermostat reaches the desired temp it cuts power to all the thermostats in all zones. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Quazzie,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    Quazzie wrote:
    Could I get Nest installed and would I need two units, or a unit for each zone, or a unit for each thermostat?

For multi-zoned heating system, you would need a separate Nest Thermostat for each zone. Although Nest units can communicate with each other for some features, e.g. Auto-Away, it is currently not possible to implement a master-slave relationship between thermostats.
    Quazzie wrote:
    Also how does it work with heating systems that work on the night rate only?

Do you have an electric heating system? The reason I ask is because these systems use high current, and are therefore not compatible with the Nest Thermostat. See here for more information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    David

Advertisement