Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk me out of buying a Samsung S6

• 11-10-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I've had an iPhone since the 3GS, had the 4, 4S and currently have a 5S aged I have to say I love iPhones and don't want to consider anything else however the price of the 6S compared to the S6 is huge! I can get an S6 on contract for €89 for the 32GB version whereas the 6S is going to cost me €369 for the 16Gb!

Need guidance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

They're equally good to be fair, and I say that as an iPhone owner.

You may as well make the switch for novelty's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Get a 6 they've come down on contract if price is an issue, nothing wrong with the 6.
    If I was going android it'd be the Sony Z5 or wait a few days and see what the new HTC One will be like. Samsung is nice but Sony whips it on every front. HTC nead a WOW phone and with their current adventures in VR anything is possible with the new One. There's rumours it'll be unveiled by the end of Octoeber and HTC vive pre orders might be announced at the same event.
    Unless your current phone is broken, sit tight until 1st of November or December as phone prices always drop on the run up to xmas and then go back up again in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If you're going to get an android phone get an Nexus 6P. It will actually get software updates day one that they're released, unlike the Samsung phone where they'll have to side load touch wiz on to it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The only reason I'm considering the S6 is the price and bigger memory but I think I'll hold out for a while yet. My 5S works perfectly and has no issues, I still get almost a day from the battery so I'll hang tight. I can't help but think that if I went for an S6 I'd regret it after the novelty of it wore off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I was an iPhone user and now android and i don't think ill even go back to an iPhone, so much more freedom on a android and more and better apps as its not so restricted, but if your only going to use a phone for few games and apps then iPhone is grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I've had an iPhone since the 3GS, had the 4, 4S and currently have a 5S aged I have to say I love iPhones and don't want to consider anything else however the price of the 6S compared to the S6 is huge! I can get an S6 on contract for €89 for the 32GB version whereas the 6S is going to cost me €369 for the 16Gb!

Need guidance!

I think Meteor have a package that starts at 199 for phone, 20 a month for 6 months then 40 for 18. Not bad numbers if you can manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Here's my 2 cents!

1. Software updates: These come very fast (usually same day as software release, as you know) on iPhone. When Android updates, you're looking at 3-6 months before Samsung and the likes push their version to the handset. A Nexus might seem like the solution, but in my experience even with a Nexus you could be waiting a few weeks before you get the software update. Maybe not a deal-breaker, but something to keep in mind. You can always root the Android and get updates quicker, and that is fun for a while if you like tinkering, but it got boring pretty quickly for me when I was on Android (history lesson: I had a 3GS, a 4, then went to Galway S3, HTC One (M7), then back to iPhone for the 6).

2. Warranty work. If something goes wrong with a Samsung, chances are it will have to go to the UK to get fixed, after being "evaluated" in a repair centre in Ireland (takes a couple of days), then on the way back to you it will have to go through "QA" in the Irish repair centre before you get it back. Add in a couple of days on either end for the retail shop to handle it, and you could be looking at 2-3 weeks without the phone if you're lucky. My S3 was gone for 6 weeks with the well-known motherboard issue. My HTC was gone for 4 weeks due to a bad mic and a purple haze on the camera. The only issue I had with an iPhone (4) was a broken mic, and that was fixed over the course of a bank holiday weekend where a courier picked up my phone on a Thursday and dropped a replacement (new) handset back to me at my place of work on the Tuesday. You can't fault that for service.

TLDR: if fast roll out of software is important to you, nothing beats Apple. If fast warranty work is important to you, nothing beats Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I switched to a Samsung S5 mini a year ago and instantly regretted it. Loads of bugs, OS was slow, camera wasn't as good. It has a few benefits over the iPhone but not enough to stop me going back to an iPhone. Which is what I'm doing now the 6s is out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PressPlay

Effects wrote: »
    I switched to a Samsung S5 mini a year ago and instantly regretted it. Loads of bugs, OS was slow, camera wasn't as good. It has a few benefits over the iPhone but not enough to stop me going back to an iPhone. Which is what I'm doing now the 6s is out.

There's your problem. You didn't switch like for like.

That's like going from a Mercedes to an Avensis and back to a Ferrari!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Just throw in my 2 cent,

ive had a 4,4s and had a 5, on upgrade a new iPhone 6s was north of €400 so I ditched apple and went for the s6 edge in gold, I got a free Samsung switch kit (usb cable to transfer everything to android) and I also got 6 months free google play music, so far after a week I think I made the right choice. There isn't much difference between the phones both have pros and cons it's just down to your personal judgement.

PressPlay wrote: »

Reviews of the S5 mini were pretty good and the time and I expected it to be better than an iPhone 4s. I didn't want a phone as big as the S5. I hate that you can't put it in the front pocket of a pair of jeans.

Your comparison doesn't really hold. If I downgraded to an Avensis I'd still expect basic functions like the engine to start each time and the stereo to stay off when I turned it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

PressPlay wrote: »

This. You have to switch from flagship to flagship for a reasonable comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Have an iPhone 6+ 64gb.
    Love it, as I upgraded from an iPhone 5.

My dad has an iPhone 5 at the moment. He wanted a 6+, but Vodafone wouldn't give them...

He got a S6. And I set it up over the weekend.

I'm more than impressed! They're lovely to hold, very quick and responsive, and visually appealing.

Personally I'm happy with my 6+, but it's a serious contender.

This. You have to switch from flagship to flagship for a reasonable comparison.

That's not true. You shouldn't have to buy a flagship phone just so you don't have bugs and a slow user experience.
    What's the point in even giving it the S5 name if you expect it to perform so sub standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I own a 6S plus and an S6 Edge+. The Samsung has a much more vibrant screen with deeper blacks and amazing brightness in sunlight, and a slightly better camera. But the memory management sucks, even with 4gigs the apps are now shutting down and reloading if I have more then 4 open. The freedom to change skins, launchers is great. as is having a proper file manager. And the phone does not lag as touchwiz is cleaned up a lot. Plus I love the edge and use the contacts and edge apps all the time, plus its cool the way people bubbles appear on the edge when someone leaves a message. But I still prefer the iPhone, simply because I feel iOS is still a smoother experience. Also it can record 4k video for half an hour with no issue. The Samsung (the S6) is limited to 5 minutes at a time.

If I was determined to go Android I would consider the Nexus 6P for reasons already outlined in this thread, but I would wait for review to see if google / huweia have got a handle on the hot snapdragon 810 chip. By all accounts Sony have solved the issue with heat pipes in the Z5. So the Z5 is another option. My friend has one and the camera no doubt, especially the video camera is superior to the Samsung. Very obvious. However I feel the screen is lacking. Something I don't like about the Sony panel in bright light. You can see tiny white dots inside the panel. My Z3 had this 'feature' also. You could also hold out until November for the Premium version with it's 4k panel but it will only render 4k for media. Otherwise 1080p which I think it fine.

The final option I would give serious consideration to is the LG G4. It seems like a very smart buy with no disadvantage unless you are averse to shiny plastic which I am :) And their IPS panel is amazing.

I hadn't expected it to be a budget phone. Just a smaller version and not as powerful as a result of having to fit the smaller dimensions. I find it painfully inadequate as a phone. Frustratingly slow and full of glitches. I got an upgraded S6 when they launched and didn't even take it out of the box, just sold it on, and waited for the iPhone 6s to come along instead.

Advertisement