Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aloe vera plant

Options
  • 12-10-2015 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

have one of these plants how do you look after it watering etc ,,,,this is about my fifth one all others died please any advice would be lovely:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

It doesn't need much watering because it is a succulent plant that stores water in the leaves.
    Compost should be gritty and free draining.
    Make sure you are moving the plant on to a bigger pot size as it grows.
    It likes a sunny, bright spot but direct midday sun can brown the leaves.
    A bright bathroom would probably be a good spot.

What happened to your other ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Were you over-watering? Aloe veras are very difficult to kill!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

livinsane wrote: »
    It doesn't need much watering because it is a succulent plant that stores water in the leaves.
    Compost should be gritty and free draining.
    Make sure you are moving the plant on to a bigger pot size as it grows.
    It likes a sunny, bright spot but direct midday sun can brown the leaves.
    A bright bathroom would probably be a good spot.

What happened to your other ones?
    sort of went brown and died i probally overwatered them it a small plant at the moment. how much water and how often ?
    i put stones in bottom of compost will that do ?
    and thank you for advice :D

looksee wrote: »
    Were you over-watering? Aloe veras are very difficult to kill!
    probally useless with plants ,,have a gift for growing weeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Don't overpot them either, I have an aloe for about seven years in the same cactus bowl and it thrives in it, it has also given birth to numerous babies which are scattered among family and friends. I tend to treat aloes in the same way as Christmas cactus and the only time I lost one was when I left it in an unheated greenhouse in the severe winter of 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Just give it a small bit of water never saturate the pot. Keep it on the dry side so it thinks its in a desert!!!! It likes a sunny window too or just a light spot and it will thrive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have one in the kitchen, on the windowsill near the sink, but it doesn't get watered more than once in maybe 3 or 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Mine thrive on neglect and plenty of light!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I look after my succulents with a steady regimen of neglect followed by a half-hour of wet feet in the sink when they start looking droopy. All but one thrives on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

like above, neglect and very little water :D. i also give mine no water in winter.

I have a small tray under the pot and that is all it gets every 3 weeks or so.

• Advertisement

it still alive :D

Advertisement