Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual DVB v's Single DVB S2 Tuners (plus more newbie questions!)

Options
  • 12-10-2015 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey ..

Real newbie questions here .. sorry

I was looking at the VU+ boxes .. and there are options for tuner for their boxes .. I saw Single and Dual DVB S-S2 Tuners

The pics were

http://www.satshop.tv/bilder/produkte/gross/VU-Single-DVB-S2-Tuner-fuer-UNO---ULTIMO---SOLO-SE---DUO2.jpg

and

http://www.satshop.tv/bilder/produkte/gross/VU-Dual-Tuner-2xDVB-S-S2-fuer-VU-UNO---ULTIMO---SOLO-SE-V2---DUO2.jpg

Both have 2 connections? The second one is a Dual S-S2 Tuner
    What makes one a single and the other a dual if they've both the same number of connectors? Is the single a 1-in 1-out .. where the dual is 2-in ?

or are the pics just misguiding?

Another quickie ;) .. if I wanted to record/pause and watch another channel while recording the second aswell .. I'd need a dual or 2xsingles? This requires 2 LNBs .. is it one LNB per tuner (where a dual could give 2channels on the same lnb somehow? .. see I wasn't joking about the newbie bit..) ?

I've a raft of newbie questions .. just dropped sky .. so looking to get setup for freesat + saoirsat (might need 2 different lnb's for that too?) ..

Would I need to replace the LNBs on the sky satellite with ones that can receive saoirsat/freesat channels? saoirsat works with a different range?)

Last question ;) is it possible to use one box to receive the signals from satellite .. then pipe it to multiple rooms? I had all satellite cables coming from the attic (4) all terminating in a 'control' sort of room .. there they get paired up with cables that lead them to the room (ie. 2xsat cables from satellite lnb's to attic to control room .. then the get connected to 2xsat cables that lead to the TV room .. that get connected to my sky box ..

I'm wondering if I can put my new box .. whatever it is .. in the control room .. then use the satellite cables that lead to the tv room to get the decoded signal to the tv (and control the box over ip) .. are there any options here? (there's also cat5 leading to the tv from same room)

Thanks!

Bal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

A lot of questions.

1. first tuner is a single ie lnb in and lnb out, used if you want to connect 2 sat boxes.

2. second is twin tuner so connect 2 sat cables from dish and depending on box record one watch another.

3. it should be a quad lnb on sat dish and you can use that, it has 4 outputs.

4. why saorsat, use soarview with aerial and get all channels, saorsat only have rte and tg4, no 3 or 3 e. And yes its a ka band lnb plus a bracket and a new dish etc. waste of time.

5. piping to multiple rooms is now trciky as new sat boxes tend not to have an rf out, so need a separate gadget to convert to rf by using scart socket.

cant help you with the cabling set up ie i am lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

Balmark wrote: »
    Hey .
    I'm wondering if I can put my new box .. whatever it is .. in the control room .. then use the satellite cables that lead to the tv room to get the decoded signal to the tv (and control the box over ip) .. are there any options here? (there's also cat5 leading to the tv from same room)

Bal

Yes it is possible to control the box remotly over IP via cat 5 or wifi using webif
    assign your box a fixed ip on your network and use IE or firefox to browse to it and you can change channels and volume and see the epg

If I were you I would put the box at the tv as all newer boxes are HD and depending on distance from your control room to tv there could problems running a long HDMI lead

There are HDMI to cat 5 adapters for around €30
    and HDMI over coax for around €100
    Bear in mind that the VU Duo2 only has 2 internal slots for tuners so If you want to record you should go for 1 twin satellite tuner and 1 terrestial tuner
    Although you can use usb tuners on the VU if you really needed more

Advertisement