Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Sanity check please

Options
  • 12-10-2015 10:07am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What is your budget? under 2000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, virtualisation for exam study

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? none

5. Do you need a monitor? yes

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard and Speakers: No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not particularily

8. How can you pay? credit card / cash

9. When are you purchasing? This side of Christmas

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help needed

Shopping list :
    Dell U2515H monitor - €454

16GB Corsair Vengeance LP € 80,76*
    Intel Core i7 6700K 4x 4.00GHz So.1151 TRAY € 388,95*

550 Watt Seasonic G Series Modular 80+ Gold - €70

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene Intel Z170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 mATX Retail € 195,38*

4096MB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail) € 354,02*

500GB Crucial BX100 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s MLC (CT500BX100SSD1) € 155,40

I'm stuck for a PSU - I think I need a 550w ?

Ok , bit more detail - I tend to only upgrade every 4 - 5 years. When I do , I don't mind spending a few bob.
    I'm doing technical exams at the moment which will need me to create some VMs , my other option is to use my old PC (i5 , 8 Gb RAM ) as my virtualisation box. I'd like to not have to worry about the new machine for 5 years ideally , so running all the latest and greatest is pretty important to me. I'd also be very interested in Occulous and its rivals , and I'd like to be able to put in a second graphics card when that comes along.

I'm open to any suggestions or alternatives....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

added PSU to shopping list , does the rest make sense ?
    I do have a spare casae

As long as the RAM is DDR4 then that's good.

I'd get AMD's 390 rather than the 970 for Oculus use, it's more powerful, cheaper and the extra VRAM will come in handy.

Yeah its DDR4 ram alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

spending that kinda money on a pc why put a cheap psu in ?

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 Power Supply would suit the build better, little be over kill on the wattage but worth it

or
    550 Watt be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 Modular 80+ Platinum

• Advertisement

The G series are Tier 2 which are hardly bargain basement, just good value. He's not bothered with overclocking so it's a waste of money going higher.

Although, why are you getting a K-series CPU and Z motherboard if not overclocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

horgan_p wrote: »
    Yeah its DDR4 ram alright.

16GB of DDR4 for €80? That's a good bit cheaper than when I looked a few weeks ago. You'd barely get budget DDR3 for that money I'd have thought.

Any linky?

grindle wrote: »
    The G series are Tier 2 which are hardly bargain basement, just good value. He's not bothered with overclocking so it's a waste of money going higher.

Although, why are you getting a K-series CPU and Z motherboard if not overclocking?

The board is because I have a Republic of Gamers board at the moment and I seriously love the little touches over the other boards I looked at. BAsically brand loyalty.

Again , the chip because I only buy once every 5 years , and I do spend a bit but it stands to me My current machine still plays everything I thrown at it.

So do you mind sharing where you're getting the DDR4? You could save someone in here some money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The board is because I have a Republic of Gamers board at the moment and I seriously love the little touches over the other boards I looked at. BAsically brand loyalty.

Again , the chip because I only buy once every 5 years , and I do spend a bit but it stands to me My current machine still plays everything I thrown at it.

What he meant was that a 'K' chip offers nothing over it's non-K counterpart unless you are specifically overclocking. Zero difference in longevity otherwise.

Also, you are paying about €100 for the appearance of the board if you're not overclocking, as that's what it's designed for. Of course it is up to you but again, you're gaining zero benefit over far cheaper parts if not overclocking.

The extra cash saved could go into something that would make a big difference performance wise, like money towards a dual GTX970 setup for example.

I think the power supply you had originally picked out is perfectly fine, it's a solid supply, if you're sticking to a single card setup.

• Advertisement

Point taken on the processor.should I use the extra money to boost the PSU , to allow for possible extra graphics cards ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Dell U2515H monitor - €454 that right sounds mad expensive?I got a BenQ GW2765HT for €400 off hardwareverdsand few months back now.

Point taken on the processor.should I use the extra money to boost the PSU , to allow for possible extra graphics cards ?

Always a good idea to get the best PSU you can afford. A good one is efficient, some are very quiet (or silent, I have a fanless Seasonic one myself that cost a fair bit), can handle the power it is specified for and won't overheat or blow your expensive components. And it should last you 10 years.

Advertisement