Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas in Shannon designated flood risk?

• 12-10-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

My parents recently tried to get some new quotes for their house insurance and all the insurers they rang refused to quote them because their address (in an estate in Shannon) is designated to be in a flood risk area.

They have lived in their house for 45+ years and there has never been an issue with flooding. Any residents of Shannon will know the town has never flooded - the entire country would be under water if the estuary got that high!

Just wondered if anyone else in Shannon has encountered this issue or would know why this has happened all of a sudden?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Not a direct answer to your question but;

I had the same issue a few years ago after Ennis flooded badly and suddenly it became an issue. I pointed out to the insurance company that if my house hadn't flooded after that surely that was a good sign it wouldn't in the future? They contacted the underwriters who agreed and dah-dah, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Check out the Shannon Catchment Flood Risk Assessment and Management Study (CFRAMS)

Here is a link to a PDF (5MB) regarding flood risks in Shannon Town.

Here is another link for Maps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I worked in IT for a company in Shannon years ago and for disaster recovery we needed to go through all the possibilities for reasons to invoke DR, 1 of the top reasons was flooding as Shannon was in a flood plain, it was a lot higher than stuff like plane crash, terrorism, space shuttle landing (yes honest)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 PSol

Check out the Shannon Catchment Flood Risk Assessment and Management Study (CFRAMS)

Here is a link to a PDF (5MB) regarding flood risks in Shannon Town.

Here is another link for Maps.

Thanks for this - it seems to be the culprit. From a bit of investigation I've done it doesn't seem to all of Shannon that's affected, but only certain estates, so wouldn't be down to the 2011 study and this designation has only changed since last year. Instead I think it's the individual town maps that are the issue - they're clearly marked as draft and not for decision making but it seems that insurance companies may well be using them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

Had this issue myself last year with several insurers.
    Try the AA home insurance i know they dont class it as a flood risk area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Try getting quotes from insurance brokers in Ennis as they will have experience of working around this. I have the same problem getting quotes for my house in Ennis a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would think this quote has a bearing on insurance companies' decisions
    Summary Comments (if
    required)
    Shannon has a major flood risk from tidal flooding in the event of a breach
    of the Shannon Estuary embankments.
    It is recommended to be identified as an APSR on the basis of its location
    behind the Shannon embankments, rather than because of any previous
    flood events.

Advertisement