Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Morocco this Sunday for 2 weeks, anyone else?

• 12-10-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Am off to Morocco for 2 weeks this Sunday with Overlanders.

Anyone else here going by any chance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

rat_race wrote: »

That should be exciting anyway... :eek:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd love to do that trip, only a short hop on the ferry. Enjoy and post a few pics when you get back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

That should be exciting anyway... :eek:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco

Morocco is grand, even out in the sticks you'll be fine. Once you're not in the touristy spots the people are ridiculously nice. I cycled through a few years back (none of your pussy motorbikes :P). Don't know what direction you're going but the Atlas and mini Atlas mountains are amazing.

OP I assume your company is handling all the paperwork but if you're heading through the sahara you'll want fiches for the checkpoints. They're not necessary but they speed things up. LINKY

That word doc may be out of date so check with your travel company. Other than that. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Copies of a fiche are very useful but in the north it's unlikely you'll need them. If you still have time before departure make a few copies - just in case.

If you're heading south i.e Western Sahara they are essential! Take a couple of dozen! To avoid delays at the many checkpoints. (security-related)
    In the north checkpoints are much less frequent and usually for traffic-enforcement. A tourist rider/driver is usually waved-on.

A few other pointers:
    - I think you can complete the temp. import paperwork online before you arrive in port.
    - Don't be bullied\conned into using a fixer at the port - unless you really can't be bothered dealing with the formalities yourself. Don't assume that the guy in the hi-viz flagging you down at the port entrance is an official.
    - There are frequent speed-checks in Morocco. Also checking for overtaking on continuous white lines. Yes, really!
    - riding at night best avoided due to poor street lighting and lots of pedestrian\animal\vehicle activity.

Great 'biking location. Have a fab trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Do you need an adventure style bike for that trip or would you get on ok on a sports tourer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

One of the magazines did it on a naked MT09 recently.

Maroc is a great "tarmac-only" destination. The passes in the Atlas mtns are worth the trip alone. Roads are generally in good condition but conditions can be variable esp on back roads and are very weather dependent.
    But often the only cause for concern is erosion on the verges - and oncoming trucks on narrow roads. Anyone used to Irish back roads might be pleasantly surprised.

Riding the pistes (unsealed roads) is entirely optional. Some pistes are well graded tracks and can be easily ridden by road bikes - depending on tyres, rider confidence and weather conditions of course.
    More info here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I did Morocco & the Atlas passes on an MT-01 no bothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

rat_race wrote: »

Jasus I'd love to do a trip like this, what kind of bike you on? Maybe some pics
    Don't consider myself a particularly experienced motorcyclist, would like to doma tripmlike this but would need advance notice and preparation, was thinking about a big trip abroad,
    But make more sense to do smaller ones, even something down the country :pac: first.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

cerastes wrote: »
    Jasus I'd love to do a trip like this, what kind of bike you on? Maybe some pics
    Don't consider myself a particularly experienced motorcyclist, would like to doma tripmlike this but would need advance notice and preparation, was thinking about a big trip abroad,
    But make more sense to do smaller ones, even something down the country :pac: first.
    hondavfr wrote: »
    Do you need an adventure style bike for that trip or would you get on ok on a sports tourer?

Was a great trip. Great fun, great country. Learned a lot about my biking too.

Did it on a Tiger 800 but any reasonably powered bike could do! Lots of off-road opportunities (which I took on), but it's never essential...

• Advertisement

That's great. But how about a few photos, or some route details? And how does the new carpet look on the floor at home?

Advertisement