Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a teacher or lecturer as a qualified accountant

• 12-10-2015 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

my wife is an ACCA accountant with an economics and finance degree from UCD.

She has worked in Nav (Fund administration) for over a decade and has progressed to a pretty senior level in that time.

She has become somewhat disillusioned with the role, and the fact that with the arrival of our first child over 18 months ago 65 hour working weeks are no longer feasible and even less desirable than they were.

She has always been interested in teaching or lecturing, so before we go and look into it properly i thought i would pick some boardsie brains.

What is the pathway for someone like her to get into either profession?

Im guessing it wont stack, as the chance of permanent role is probably nil, and while a permanenet role would represent a large, but somewhat digestible pay cut, a part time one is going to be a bridge too far :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

As a first step you should check the teaching council website and see if her degree is recognised to reach any subject currently taught in second level schools.

After that she would have to complete her masters in either Trinity or any of the NUIs which takes two years. Or choose the online method with Hibernia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

so both her degree and her prof qualification cover her for business, accountancy and economics and her degree for maths aswell.

i was looking at hibernia, am i correct in thinking it will cost 12.5k to do the 2 year masters? less tax reclaimed at 20%?

Assume its better to do at trinity or ucd rather than hibernia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hibernia might be more flexible. But yeah, maybe do it in Trinity/UCD if not working full time.

Advertisement