Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed or Variable?

• 12-10-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I know there is a few of these threads but I don't want to hijack someone else's post. Ive to decide which I want to do and revert to the bank, what would you do? Im new business and borrowing more than 50% less than 80%.
    I'm kinda clueless as to all this stuff so any advice is welcome.

Ive attached it because it wont copy and paste well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭daheff

So looks like you would get a 'Tiered Variable' of 3.55% vs a 1 year fixed of 3.5% or 3.6% for 2 year. Personally for that small difference I'd be inclined to go variable as any drop in rates you'll benefit. A fixed rate wouldn't benefit. Flipside is any increase in rates means a variable pays more (fixed rate doesn't).

From what I see of the markets, there's a lot of pressure from the government to have lenders bring down variable rates. As a result of that my view is that the government lenders will (reluctantly) reduce rates, and this will force others to do so.

Can I ask why you are looking at haven? I see variable rates lower at other banks.

take a look at bonkers.ie and put in your details. They should give you an indication of the best offers on the market in your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭mel123

My broker didn't really give me any other options or mention any other banks. Ive got on to him this morning waiting for him to come back to me and see what other options I have, I didn't realise there was such a difference only when you said go on to bonkers. Thanks.

Advertisement