Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Ratoath

Options
  • 12-10-2015 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭

Hello Trim :D

Moved in last Friday. Went for my first couple of pints in Marcy's last night.

No complaints with Ratoath where we rented for the last 6 years. Just got more bang for our buck in Trim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I've heard bad things about the water in Trim and was disappointed to find the house had no water treatment system. I have to say though I've been pleasantly surprised that it is actually okay.

Our previous house had no system either so we may be just used to it by now.

We will no doubt get a system eventually though I'd say.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Welcome neighbour!

I don't think the water is any worse than anywhere else in Meath tbh. It's not very nice to taste without filtering, and it's very hard, but that's the same as the rest of Meath as far as I know. We got a softener from early on when we moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

PauloMN wrote: »
    Welcome neighbour!

I don't think the water is any worse than anywhere else in Meath tbh. It's not very nice to taste without filtering, and it's very hard, but that's the same as the rest of Meath as far as I know. We got a softener from early on when we moved.

I am from Trim (I met Marcy Regan herself once) and still have family there. Having lived in 3 other places around the county I have never had problems with the water like there is in Trim.

SuperValu. Great size of a store but the car park is disproportionately small considering. Lidl is as you'd expect. It's certainly one of the busiest Lidls I've ever visited in this country.

I recall reading threads here over the last number of years that the town needs a new store. I believe Aldi was mentioned and they get planning rejected.

Any updates on this since?

I did my own digging here and planning permission was requested in June

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/06/16/4038345-aldi-submits-application-for-trim-store/

Decision was due on 6th August.

Here's the status i.e. "Suspended"

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/TA150598/0

On August 5th further information was requested.

• Advertisement

Further info received. Decision now on December 13th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

December 13th is a Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I still think this is a terrible location for an Aldi store! It's going to be chaotic trying to get in/out of the car park and access to Watergate St. The traffic on this road is already very busy.

It would make more sense to build this Aldi on the outskirts of the town (e.g. in the Motor Factors on the Navan Rd or off the Summerhill road roundabout)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I think it's a good location - it's good that it will be in town rather than outside, and tbh, that corner has looked bad for a long time. The store will tidy up the area and paths and its location means you can walk to it from the centre of town.

A third supermarket is badly needed in a town the size of Trim, and at least this will have more parking than Supervalu. I don't think the traffic on Watergate St. is especially bad, I've never been held up around there. Supervalu creates a bad traffic due to its tiny car park and the busy junction there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I think it's a good location - it's good that it will be in town rather than outside, and tbh, that corner has looked bad for a long time. The store will tidy up the area and paths and its location means you can walk to it from the centre of town.

A third supermarket is badly needed in a town the size of Trim, and at least this will have more parking than Supervalu. I don't think the traffic on Watergate St. is especially bad, I've never been held up around there. Supervalu creates a bad traffic due to its tiny car park and the busy junction there.

I agree that the town needs another supermarket. Lidl is so busy these days and Supervalu has too much of a monopoly in the town centre over the years.

I just think that with the playground, access to the OPW, public car park, bottle bank, and now an Aldi car park, the traffic could get out of hand in this area.

• Advertisement

Next order of business. Football. I'm thinking of transferring to the Trim GAA team and playing a bit of Junior football into my twilight years but I also like to play a bit of 5 aside.

Anyone know of any groups looking for extra player indoor or outdoor doesn't bother me.

Is there an Applegreen service station in the process of being built? The fuel prices in Trim seem to be a little out of whack from where I used to fill up so fingers crossed it has a positive impact on prices but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is there an Applegreen service station in the process of being built? The fuel prices in Trim seem to be a little out of whack from where I used to fill up so fingers crossed it has a positive impact on prices but I won't hold my breath.

yes on the Summerhill/Longwood Road roundabout - not sure when it will ready though.

Fuel prices in Trim, and in Meath in general are quite high. Got a bit of a shock when I was in Dublin recently and passed that garage on the south quays (Esso I think). 1.06 for diesel! Now I know they are always a bit lower than others, but this is when the cheapest in Trim was around 1.18 a litre of diesel. Both Topaz in Trim are owned by the same family yet the Navan Road station was 5c more per litre of diesel than the Dublin Road station (which is still not cheap). I usually fill in the Esso in Kiltale on the way home, around 1.16 at the moment as far as I remember.

Shop local campaigns are a bit of a joke to be honest when you see the prices of things in a lot of the local shops. I do shop local where possible but at the same time I won't pay over the odds for stuff when I'm usually around Dublin at least 3 times a week.

Saw the sign at the Summerhill roundabout but didn't read it properly as I was driving by, hence the question.

Ratoath and Ashbourne are both around 5-6c cheaper too. Dunshaughlin (where I fill my car) is about 4c at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Fuel prices in Trim, and in Meath in general are quite high. Got a bit of a shock when I was in Dublin recently and passed that garage on the south quays (Esso I think). 1.06 for diesel! Now I know they are always a bit lower than others, but this is when the cheapest in Trim was around 1.18 a litre of diesel. Both Topaz in Trim are owned by the same family yet the Navan Road station was 5c more per litre of diesel than the Dublin Road station (which is still not cheap). I usually fill in the Esso in Kiltale on the way home, around 1.16 at the moment as far as I remember.

Shop local campaigns are a bit of a joke to be honest when you see the prices of things in a lot of the local shops. I do shop local where possible but at the same time I won't pay over the odds for stuff when I'm usually around Dublin at least 3 times a week.

That Esso station on the quays used to have the highest prices in the country but was then closed down as they were caught having faulty readings on the pumps.

Since they re-opened they had to drop the prices to get the customers back in and it now has the lowest prices by far so not really fair to compare it to others (yet if they can make money at that price.....).

€1.16/€1.18 seems about the normalised price around Meath. Tesco in Maynooth is €1.18 at present

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pudsey64

The Emo oil depot behind the new filling station being built at the roundabout on the Longwood / Summerhill road is selling diesel for €1.08 per lt.

Advertisement