Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edenmore, Raheny Area

Options
  • 12-10-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone,
    I am buying a house in Edenmore park, off the Springdale road, but don't know much about the area. I heard that it was a dodgy area in the past but now it is fine. Any good or bad experience around there? Surveyors are very expensive and I heard that it isn't mandatory to have one but it's recommended. Would you pay for one if you have a very tight budget? Thank you very much in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Dublin County North

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Edenmore is fine.
    I would always get a survey done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

+1 Fine. Working class area, you'll have the odd issue, same as anywhere really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Benarros

Thank your advice :-) I saw that surveyors cost around 400e and it is possible buy the house without them. Fo you think is it really essential ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Benarros wrote: »
    Thank your advice :-) I saw that surveyors cost around 400e and it is possible buy the house without them. Fo you think is it really essential ?

On older, or new enough for pyrite to be an issue houses I would consider it insane not to get it. You're buying something 200x+ the price of the survey.

• Advertisement

I am glad to hear that the area is fine. A friend at work rented in Edenmore and advised me not to go there. I cycled three times on different days: in the morning and during the night. Edenmore Park seems to be a very quiet road. Many old people seem to be living there, which is nice if you want peace of mind. :-)

Benarros wrote: »

Seriously are you mad? Would you buy a car without getting it checked over? If you have how many ties have you been stung. Used car salespeople are like Mother Teresa compared to an Estate Agent and a vendor wanting to get shot of a house.

If the budget is this tight you need to perhaps revise down the budget and reallocate some of the deposit.

Edenmore/Kilbarrack have a bad rep. The area is, however, grand you get a lot for your money (Dublinwise) around there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Edenmore was 'rough' forty years ago when I was a kid. Similarly Kilbarrack, when it was first built, again, decades ago. Areas change. Dublin snobbery persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I have a lot of history with the area, my son goes to school there. The Edenmore shops is the only bad point IMO, it is a magnet for teen gangs to hang around at night and you know what happens when they become bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I grew up in Edenmore during the 80's. It was fairly rough then but has calmed down a lot since. Its in a great location too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I'm living around the corner. No real problems in the area. Neighbors I have are excellent and help out a lot with things. Get a survey done so you know what you're getting into and what future problems you might encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Edenmore was built starting in 1962, they are fine houses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Seriously, if €400 is too much for a survey then you should really re-think the whole buying a house thing.

Hi Everyone,
    Thank you so much for your opinions. I fell much better knowing that Edenmore is not a bad area anymore. The worst thing is to invest in a property and have to fix many things and then have the leave because of the neighbourhood.

I cycled there again last night. The street is a little bit dark, I guess the street lights are weak, but it was quiet. I didn't see any anti-social behaviour or young people shouting on the streets. There are some takeaways at the end of the street but they were incredibly quiet also. A friend recommended that I should visit the area again on a Saturday night though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Getting the keys to gaf I bought there next week. Just off Springdale road. Seems like a good choice, the only affordable house I could get on my own, and a 20 min walk from my parents house where I grew up. I timed it as an 11 min walk to Raheny dart station too, so I can tell potential girlfriends I live in Raheny I guess so as not to scare them away.
    Edenmore was kind of rough when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s. But it seems totally dead now, just like Harmonstown. Which was a real dive.
    I worked out that I'm less than 150m from the Edenmore house. Awesome! Looks like a sh*thole though but I've no airs or graces about me :)
    Anyone else living around there?

I'm in Kilbarrack, a few of the lads like pretending their gangsters but are actually very nice if you take a bit of time to get to know them.

Advertisement