Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul 2016 **No ticket sales / requests**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Apparently all cars need to be towed out of the car park now (according to Facebook posts) - gonna be some mess trying to get away tomorrow..

Glad I didn't follow through on looking for a last-minute Sunday ticket - was very tempted to go down to see Sun Kil Moon

Had to push the car out when leaving today alright, gonna be messy tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

A bemusing amount of people wearing sunglasses in the rain and twilight.

Likely on some sort of drugs I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

Great festival all round!

So who was the secret 'special guest' act in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Blue sky and sunshine in Delvin now. Proper gutted for Body and soulers for yesterday. Heading to Glastonbury and weather is looking awful. Looked out the window with the fear yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Great weekend - but had planned to leave Sunday around 16:00 after a few bands but given the weather left at 12.00 Almost made it out under my own stream with the camper but had to get towed the last 10 yrds.

Thanks to the lad who got up to move his van to let me out the easy way - sorry I couldn't stop to say thanks but if I had I would have been stuck.

Highlights were Aine Cahill, Elephant, Mercury Rev, Brian Deady, Gloaming, St Germain, Slam Poetry (except for the pain in the ass American with a chip on both shoulders at the end), After the IBIS, Stop Making Sense, and Yorkston/Thorne/Kahn doing a cover of Ivor Cutlers Little Black Buzzer.

I think I am beginning to enjoy this more than EP.

Funniest part was this woman came up to us who looked like your typical Irish mother. She was telling us about Aine Cahill being from Cavan and then apologized saying she was "off her tits on E". She then proceeded to tells us she and her mate who was similar age/dress were out celebrating the end of their exams. What were you studying we asked - to which she replied "Market Risk and Compliance!" She was great craic and a lesson in how to live.

Peter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Great weekend and they did a great job of sorting out the camping issue from last year - general camping was mayhem). I camped in the same place as last year (where the US and you site was) and had loads of space.

Bands were great, I did a lot more wandering about to the smaller stages and discovered some great little bands. Was disappointed by mercury Rev on the main stage though and had been looking forward to them. Alas, this was my last year going for awhile (if ever...) so tried to make the most of it!

Oh and yeah, I was annoyed they showed the Ireland match, we avoided that area for the duration once we saw the hoards of Irish Jersey fans walking up singing. The organizers were right the first time, it didn't fit in with the atmosphere of the festival. But at least the festival was big enough to avoid it so not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

was very tempted to go down to see Sun Kil Moon

He wasn't great unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Effects wrote: »
    He wasn't great unfortunately.

That's a pity .
    I kinda thought he wouldn't be suited to the main stage - thanks for making me feel better about missing it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

That's a pity .
    I kinda thought he wouldn't be suited to the main stage - thanks for making me feel better about missing it though :)

To be fair the weather didn't help. This was taken during the set:

3R5n1Of_likIylYdL7oiRb_PLHk7Kw8sW8btTCyVtDCiUFPgbPTfwxDGO3gdQW7W7iKE-QbjYUmPmEjBFfrkIJfR5UtDSbw8pIzELxJU6MBWuB1RMVPjCAJFtWZiLdWo92oBS3fJWwGPfUYUXJYul9uOxjcOVylyeHLx0ND4Ng6zb7ytuIYizWDvfq5tmPWuvyep0FuYVfjBnG3nL3KSuoTkgRbMieXFb_oMXqEneFPlQ-Eildx-5gp7kKkoM4DP2lCoWkVzki4zYn3bIIvD1WDaCjsikP5DuKnH7cSuD32kFuY6Lmtputinq7lfgM2Clw9TVX609nXSAT031SZ4Je19IWn_YX1GOXoLRfPOFyZRniMZ9ZSF1BT94P5qw3phYzp5qkNeWrqNxh5L4uPevzhFJyLmaFll9e1Q6iB0ad0bdZovg_cNL0ZjbsNmGzxTsvSyaQHXt1wj_UpYWZfn8FN8mhLmNWgIVqj4AqP7U-0wxV37KwYuurgxPFR7_O073jW1LR24LKooXogwXZNrRX-a5X1lKMpNB2Q7YWvTtNmOBFvf8bkMbnuDkYaTUkGcpjmRS5Y80AU1SEwvQ8qRkMcPHVQ4TYgr=w1306-h980-no

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dadoffay

2014 had Caribou, 2015 Kiasmos and last night, David August flawless mid tempo set blew the Midnight tent off. The weather dictated decision to make Sunday a Midnight tent day paid rich dividends, Gold Panda, the memorable howling Tanya Tagaq and Slow Magic were worth the fair ticket price alone. When we arrived at 5 on Fri, we queued 5min, recharging was faster and better staffed, camping more spacious, security vigilant checking fences everywhere. I am massive football fan but not at a festival so the time was spent at Happy Pears buzzing dance floor. Food additions like Merguez sausage from Fallon & Byrne were welcomed and the spaced out Reckless in Love stage took all the pressure from the woods, there was no queuing anywhere in 3 days. Staff very friendly, and the crowd made it special as usual. Cannot fault a thing. Spirit remained HIGH despite the rain taking over on Sunday. From what I heard, Rusangano Family managed to pull a crowd at 3:30 on Sunday while it was lashing down. The timing of the bands was spot on, I didn't have to miss any band due to the diverse nature of bands playing the same time slots and still had plenty of time to discover new bands.
    2016 I liked better than 14 which was better than last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Dudda wrote: »
    To be fair the weather didn't help. This was taken during the set:

3R5n1Of_likIylYdL7oiRb_PLHk7Kw8sW8btTCyVtDCiUFPgbPTfwxDGO3gdQW7W7iKE-QbjYUmPmEjBFfrkIJfR5UtDSbw8pIzELxJU6MBWuB1RMVPjCAJFtWZiLdWo92oBS3fJWwGPfUYUXJYul9uOxjcOVylyeHLx0ND4Ng6zb7ytuIYizWDvfq5tmPWuvyep0FuYVfjBnG3nL3KSuoTkgRbMieXFb_oMXqEneFPlQ-Eildx-5gp7kKkoM4DP2lCoWkVzki4zYn3bIIvD1WDaCjsikP5DuKnH7cSuD32kFuY6Lmtputinq7lfgM2Clw9TVX609nXSAT031SZ4Je19IWn_YX1GOXoLRfPOFyZRniMZ9ZSF1BT94P5qw3phYzp5qkNeWrqNxh5L4uPevzhFJyLmaFll9e1Q6iB0ad0bdZovg_cNL0ZjbsNmGzxTsvSyaQHXt1wj_UpYWZfn8FN8mhLmNWgIVqj4AqP7U-0wxV37KwYuurgxPFR7_O073jW1LR24LKooXogwXZNrRX-a5X1lKMpNB2Q7YWvTtNmOBFvf8bkMbnuDkYaTUkGcpjmRS5Y80AU1SEwvQ8qRkMcPHVQ4TYgr=w1306-h980-no

Cheers - can't see your link unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Cheers - can't see your link unfortunately.

Could have been really bad fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

As always at body & soul I had a fantastic time.

Highlights for me were Optimo, Cassy and David August (although the set seemed to short).

Anyone know the name of the song David August finished with? It was epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

That's a pity .

He was fantastic. Way more chipper than usual. And, I think he managed to get through his set without offending anyone.

His set was mostly made up of songs from Universal Themes. This stream of consciousness phase he's going through isn't for everyone (such as those with limited attention-spans, possibly like the person who said he wasn't great), but I find it utterly captivating, as, seemingly, did everyone around me.

He also threw in a lame (but entertaining) cover, of Something Stupid, and, as is par for the course these days, tried out a song that he wrote in the past few days (and only finished on sunday morning). I love it when he does this - such a refreshing departure from the usual set-list approach that most bands adopt.

And it was a thrill to see Steve Shelley again. Its been a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

dadoffay wrote: »
    From what I heard, Rusangano Family managed to pull a crowd at 3:30 on Sunday while it was lashing down.

A small enough crowd, but a ridiculously entertaining set. One of the highlights for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Fantastic weekend as usual for B&S.

- Driving in on Friday was a breeze.
    - Light handed and friendly security.
    - Site looked great.
    - Music all weekend was top class, great lineup and great sound.
    - Crowd were, as always, sound out. No selfie generation here, proper festival people.
    - When the mud came on Sunday, there was plenty of straw down in the worst affected areas, although the Midnight Circus area was pretty bad and tricky to get around.

I genuinely cannot find any fault in this festival or its organisation. 10/10, will come again.

I did hear some moans from some of the family campers, but I don't remember the issues they were having.

Set of the weekend: David August. When i saw the set up with guitar and drums, I knew we were in for a treat. Was not disappointed. Stunning.

Surprise of the weekend: Ho99o9. Am so glad I went to this, top notch stuff.

Also top notch: St. Germain, Batida, Slow Magic, BBNG, Ninos du Brasil, Mbongwana Star, Gold Panda.

Best festival in Ireland by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Peesh89

Had an absolutely unreal time!
    Highlights were Girl Band, David August, Saint Sister, Rusangano Fam and Forrests.

Yes the mud was a bit of an annoyance but nothing any one could do about that, just laughed our way through it. Was comical watching people try keep their balance.

Any food I tried was fab! Got some unbelievable giant arancini from a Sicilian street food stall, I'd kill for one now!

Mother put on a great show on Sat, Walled Gardens and Woodlands were a treat to walk around and discover.
    Us & You campsite was brill, full of friendly people and staff. The compost type toilets were a bit tough to handle!

Only thing I'd say is signs/directions once you get nearer the festival site, there were a few but we were told to go a few different ways by lads in security, certain roads closed, no signs etc ended up accidentally finding the carpark ourselves. But wasn't too big a deal!

Got out fine on Sunday luckily didn't get stuck.
    Fantastic weekend had by all in the group I went with!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I actually didn't catch that much over the weekend but I did catch Saint Sister who were superb on the Wood Stage, I also enjoyed the Gloaming on Friday night although I felt the band was too laid back for a main stage act, it was odd to start with a Sean Nos ballad really, I'm a big fan of Iarla O'Lionards singing but felt that the Afro Celt Soundsystem would've been a better choice of closer as they have a few lively tunes too. Caught various other acts over the weekend Cassy and Bitch Falcon in the Midnight Circus who were pretty good. The star of the show though was the Port Royal area, the driest and most comfortable area of the festival and I spent the majority of the event in there it kinda felt the festival was constantly coming to here as the dance floor would empty slightly, then you could hear rain in the background and a resurgence of a few hundred into Port Royal in their rain macs throughout the weekend, I had a fantastic time. Apparently the festival is moving location next year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭liamtimdusty

I actually didn't catch that much over the weekend but I did catch Saint Sister who were superb on the Wood Stage, I also enjoyed the Gloaming on Friday night although I felt the band was too laid back for a main stage act, it was odd to start with a Sean Nos ballad really, I'm a big fan of Iarla O'Lionards singing but felt that the Afro Celt Soundsystem would've been a better choice of closer as they have a few lively tunes too. Caught various other acts over the weekend Cassy and Bitch Falcon in the Midnight Circus who were pretty good. The star of the show though was the Port Royal area, the driest and most comfortable area of the festival and I spent the majority of the event in there it kinda felt the festival was constantly coming to here as the dance floor would empty slightly, then you could hear rain in the background and a resurgence of a few hundred into Port Royal in their rain macs throughout the weekend, I had a fantastic time. Apparently the festival is moving location next year.

It will be a shame if they move location. Enjoyed the setup they have currently!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Where is the location supposed to be moving to ?

• Advertisement

Barr wrote: »
    Where is the location supposed to be moving to ?

Two locations that are being discussed on one of the B&S facebook pages is Trabolgan or Butlin's Mosney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Two locations that are being discussed on one of the B&S facebook pages is Trabolgan or Butlin's Mosney.

In fairness, this seems very unlikely. Neither of those venues would suit the atmosphere of the festival to date.

Do you have a link to the source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

In fairness, this seems very unlikely. Neither of those venues would suit the atmosphere of the festival to date.

Nonsense going down the waterslide on acid will be made craic, everyone will flock to the mushroom waterfall.

If someone genuine overheard something about those sites it could very well be a winter festival like the ones all tomorrows parties do in the UK. Perhaps POD is planning that instead of metropolis.

As for a new site for Body and Soul , is there a wooded estate or castle an 1hour Dublin that doesn't have a music festival at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Isn't Mosney still a direct provision centre?
    lbj666 wrote: »
    Nonsense going down the waterslide on acid will be made craic, everyone will flock to the mushroom waterfall.

The pool isn't there anymore. I was down there a few years ago and it was covered over.

No there is no link at the moment it was just been discussed on the Overheard at Body & Soul facebook group. I presume if it does happen there will be an official confirmation either on the B&S website or their official facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Peesh89 wrote: »
    Highlights were Girl Band, David August, Saint Sister, Rusangano Fam and Forrests.

raggging i missed this. they were just running too late and it was either miss my taxi to a comfy airbnb bed or watch the set. waht was it like? was it a DJ set or they playing their own stuff? i was surprised it was two decks being setup, i was expecting a band

Well I only managed to take four video clips at Body & Soul this year, so here is three of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

yeahimhere wrote: »
    Great weekend and they did a great job of sorting out the camping issue from last year - general camping was mayhem). I camped in the same place as last year (where the US and you site was) and had loads of space.

Bands were great, I did a lot more wandering about to the smaller stages and discovered some great little bands. Was disappointed by mercury Rev on the main stage though and had been looking forward to them. Alas, this was my last year going for awhile (if ever...) so tried to make the most of it!

Oh and yeah, I was annoyed they showed the Ireland match, we avoided that area for the duration once we saw the hoards of Irish Jersey fans walking up singing. The organizers were right the first time, it didn't fit in with the atmosphere of the festival. But at least the festival was big enough to avoid it so not a big deal.

Despite the result I'm glad people like you aren't in charge.. awful lot of people wanted to see the match as witnessed by the fact you couldn't even get in the tent. If it's not for you on your bike then.

mrDerek wrote: »
    Despite the result I'm glad people like you aren't in charge.. awful lot of people wanted to see the match as witnessed by the fact you couldn't even get in the tent. If it's not for you on your bike then.

Yeah exactly... if its not your cup of tea, don't go to the festival

• Advertisement

Another one of my highlights was during the hour wait at the atm queue, an act called Batida on the main stage about 6.15 - 7.15 pm on Sunday, similar to the sounds of both Alo Wala and Buraka Som Sistema, this was lovely African/Portuguese electronica and world music.

Advertisement