Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Issue

Options
  • 12-10-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am not sure if this is the place to ask but I will try.

I booked flights from Slovakia to Ireland using my Slovak Visa Electron card and when I typed in the number the website changed by currency from EUR to USD.
    There was then a message guaranteeing a fixed rate and my EUR amount would be the same.
    When I clicked ok the amount take from my account was 50 euros more.

I lodged a complaint with Ryanair and they said they would get back to me in 7 days which was 12 days ago.

I have checked my issue log and it says waiting for info from client so basically

1. They changed the ccy from USD to EUR for no reason.
    2. They didnt give me the rate they guaranteed.
    3. They have incorrect status on the issue log.

Has anyone else come across this and did you get it sorted.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭ronjo

anyone come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

did ya book through ryanair.com or a price comparison site

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    did ya book through ryanair.com or a price comparison site

Ryanair.com

Been using it for years as I fly home a few times a year and never seen this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Yeah i use them a lot too and never saw that, strange one alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ronjo wrote: »
    anyone come across this?

Sounds like the RyanAir incorrectly identified your card's Billing currency as USD and offered to charge you according. You misread the prompt and accepted the offer.

What does your card issuer say about this. It might have happened to other customers before.

Be aware the "correct" remedy according to Visa rules is to refund the entire transaction with the original currency and amount and then reprocess the transaction in the correct currency and amount. If the rates have shifted since this might actually cost you more.

Sounds like the RyanAir incorrectly identified your card's Billing currency as USD and offered to charge you according. You misread the prompt and accepted the offer.

What does your card issuer say about this. It might have happened to other customers before.

Be aware the "correct" remedy according to Visa rules is to refund the entire transaction with the original currency and amount and then reprocess the transaction in the correct currency and amount. If the rates have shifted since this might actually cost you more.

It is possible that I misread but I am pretty sure not.

THats for your reply though. I will investigate more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maxopaxo

Happened to me before. More or less the same: went to book flights from Bulgaria to UK, price shown in €. Half way trough the booking it changes to £ for no reason and when I entered my Irish CC details it changed back to € at a different rate. The end result - overcharged by €70 (for 4 tickets). Complained to Ryanair, 2 weeks later got a templeted respond which didn't answer my question/complaint even remotly. After asking for more adequate responce was told that my case has been looked at and is now closed.
    I guess you will get the same template as an answer and same end result.
    My advice, don't waste your time and energy arguing with them. I really hope you get your money back but Ryanair being Ryanair - that's very unlikely.

maxopaxo wrote: »
    Happened to me before. More or less the same: went to book flights from Bulgaria to UK, price shown in €. Half way trough the booking it changes to £ for no reason and when I entered my Irish CC details it changed back to € at a different rate. The end result - overcharged by €70 (for 4 tickets). Complained to Ryanair, 2 weeks later got a templeted respond which didn't answer my question/complaint even remotly. After asking for more adequate responce was told that my case has been looked at and is now closed.
    I guess you will get the same template as an answer and same end result.
    My advice, don't waste your time and energy arguing with them. I really hope you get your money back but Ryanair being Ryanair - that's very unlikely.

I checked the log and it says I have been asked to provide more information which I havent and also there is nowhere that I can see on the log that you can update this.

I tried to call them this morning but the line just went dead after a few mins of waiting.

There is some webchat which you can contact them on supposedly. I will try that later.
    As I said, I use them a few times a year so I dont want to go thro this evertime.

I contacted them via the webchat and all they were able to tell me was that they are awaiting my response to a request but the guy wasnt able to see or find out what the request was.
    So I am supposed to send them some reply but they cant tell me what they have asked for.

I have contacted my bank to see if I can get my money back that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement