Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tv repair

Options
  • 12-10-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭

So I had an issue with my TV. Its a known issue with Samsung tvs of a certain age and until a few years ago samsung (after being sued) were doing repairs for all for free.

Anyway they dont do it anymore, so I called a tv repair service in Dublin, he took the tv away said yes its this and that and will cost 120, do you want me to go ahead, I said yes. He brought it back 3 days later and told me "will be grand for years now probably"

Got the tv back and 2 days later after about 4hrs use problem reoccured, called him he took it back, said the replacement part failed, and apologised and re repaired for about 3/4 days

5 days later problem happened again. Again not a whole lot of use, called him, he collected again. So i called him a day later and he says can find nothing wrong, doesnt understand, will run it for a few days. I called a few days later he says cant see it happening, so seems ok to him.

I am going to collect it tomorrow (8 days later), so I am wondering how I should approach?

Do I say its not fixed and ask for money back? (Assuming it reoccurs again) or what can I do. To be clear its the exact same problem each time. Tv turns on and off of its own volition, with a white flash to bottom left hand corner.

The guy seems good, but 120€ is 120€ especially if problem is still there....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You hired him to diagnose and repair a fault. He's had a number of attempts but up to now it seems he has not been unable to fix it permanently. If the problem is not resolved you are entitled to look for your €120 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

That's my thought. Will call him tomorrow. Problem is he says it's not happening and he has it 8 days now. All I know is that it was happening when I sent it back... Will see

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Samsung doesnt seem to be great. The sound in gone on Channel 3 on my TV. I have the tv a while but seldom use it as its in the kitchen. Anyone know how to mend this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

hillbloom wrote: »
    Samsung doesnt seem to be great. The sound in gone on Channel 3 on my TV. I have the tv a while but seldom use it as its in the kitchen. Anyone know how to mend this problem?
    Mod: Hi hillbloom, I'm not sure if you're looking for a technical discussion, but if you are you should try the Video Displays & Projectors forum.

Wow...so tv was returned from its third time with him yesterday. Problem occured once last night and is constant again this morning...he has blamed my attached devices (which are connected to various tvs at any time and have caused no issues with any) and has insisted he had it running in his workshop for 2 weeks constantly without issue...funny that I get it back and it lasts 3 hrs before reoccuring!

• Advertisement

so this has been ongoing and he has had it 4 more times...he blames samsung for their 7 year old "new circuit boards" and that he is 400 out of pocket....hes not getting tv back again...but do you think I can look for money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is his workshop perhaps cold? And your living room warm?

Either way if the repair failed you're due the money paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

And then we wonder why there's almost nobody doing TV repairs these days.

Erm he's had 8 chances.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Erm he's had 8 chances.....

Meaning that you chose to go back to him 7 times. He may be incompetent or maybe he isn't able to source the right parts. I suspect the right parts are no longer available and the replacement parts he's using are not 100% compatible with your set.

Manufacturers throw in the towel after a few years when it comes to s/w on so-called 'Smart' TVs, they just stop issuing s/w updates. I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to parts because after the warranty expires, the demand for parts would be minimal with so few people doing repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

he blames samsung for their 7 year old "new circuit boards" and that he is 400 out of pocket....
    Sounds like he got them off ebay; not your issue.
    hes not getting tv back again...but do you think I can look for money back?
    Sure. He didn't fix the issue.

Well latest is he says Samsung want to see tv themselves to see how we could be so unlucky...and they may offer an alternative solution....we Shall see...

Advertisement