Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable thickness question

Options
  • 12-10-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I was in the wholesalers and bought two up and down lighters so there 140w in total. I was looking for a narrow wire so it would be easy to route.

He gave and told me 3 core .50mm cable would do.

My question is, is that a thick enough cable for that load???

Also I'll be wiring them in series of that makes a difference...
    Any help welcome thanks before I stick them up

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mark.. wrote: »
    I was in the wholesalers and bought two up and down lighters so there 140w in total. I was looking for a narrow wire so it would be easy to route.

He gave and told me 3 core .50mm cable would do.

My question is, is that a thick enough cable for that load???

Also I'll be wiring them in series of that makes a difference...
    Any help welcome thanks before I stick them up

Lighting such as that should be wired in 1.5mm sq. at a minimum.
    Lights wired in series is not the way to go.
    Asking this demonstrates that this work is clearly beyond your ability.
    Mains voltage can be lethal and dodgy wiring has been known to burn the occasional house down.

For your own good please employ a qualified electrician.

By the way it is actually illegal for you to carry out work such as this on the basis that you are not a registered electrical contractor as this work falls under the definition of "Restricted Electrical Works".
    Since the 1st of October 2013 it has been illegal for a non-Registered Electrical Contractor to carry out most electrical work in domestic premises. Refer to the Restricted Works Decision Paper published by the Commission of Energy Regulation (CER). As detailed in the above document “Minor electrical works” are exempt from this legislation. Further clarification on minor electrical works was obtained by email from CER can be seen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mark..

Just so I'm clear, if I have a certified electrician install plugs in my house, are they supposed to issue me with a certificate of works? Or just that you know it was that person that carried it out and if anything happened forward it to him

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mark.. wrote: »
    Just so I'm clear, if I have a certified electrician install plugs in my house, are they supposed to issue me with a certificate of works? Or just that you know it was that person that carried it out and if anything happened forward it to him

Read the link on Restricted Works in my post above, it is all explained there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement