Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest XP compatible m/board.

Options
  • 12-10-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Got the cheapest gigabit m/board of scan last week but its not XP compatible. Anyone know a m/board that will take XP and is cheap (and can be delivered to Ireland)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Whats the issue with using XP on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Not compatible. Just get BSOD. Apparently newer motherboards don't support XP and the software I use only works on XP.

gutteruu wrote: »
    Not compatible. Just get BSOD. Apparently newer motherboards don't support XP and the software I use only works on XP.

Might be the UEFI bios. Try and boot to the bios setup and see if there is an option to enable a legacy bios mode.

As regards alternative options for the software, Windows 7 has an XP mode, or you could try running it in a virtual machine assuming you have exhausted the compatibility options under properties when you right click.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Might be the UEFI bios. Try and boot to the bios setup and see if there is an option to enable a legacy bios mode.

As regards alternative options for the software, Windows 7 has an XP mode, or you could try running it in a virtual machine assuming you have exhausted the compatibility options under properties when you right click.

+1

Read the Motherboard manual which will explain how to get to the setting.

Thanks. Will give it a try this afternoon.

• Advertisement

So in my bios (This motherboard), under "windows 8 features > boot mode" I have option of UEFI and legacy, Legacy only and UEFI. First one is selected. Storage boot option control is set to legacy only. Then final place is in "other PCI device ROM priority and is set to UEFI OpROM not Legacy.

Am I out of luck if its not working already and anything I can change? I'm not too up on this whole legacy thing.

So in my bios (This motherboard), under "windows 8 features > boot mode" I have option of UEFI and legacy, Legacy only and UEFI. First one is selected. Storage boot option control is set to legacy only. Then final place is in "other PCI device ROM priority and is set to UEFI OpROM not Legacy.

Am I out of luck if its not working already and anything I can change? I'm not too up on this whole legacy thing.
    The specs page for that motherboard doesn't list XP as supported. Have you tried selecting legacy only for boot mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Try setting the OS to Other OS as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Select all the 'legacy' options you can in BIOS.

I don't use XP, but is it possible that what is causing the problem is a lack of drivers for hardware? ...... maybe USB3 & SATA3 for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you intstalling from fresh or trying to migrate a current installation from a previous board?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What CPU are you using?

THIS CPU. Not migrating, a fresh install. Just keeps giving me BSOD when trying to install XP so ended up putting windows 7 on them but the software doesn't agree with it. I had 2 identical PC's and chopped and changed all the bits so ruled out any hardware problems.

Having a lot of trouble tracking down new XP compatible bits. How quick things move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 osprey_dara

Hi,

If I understand correctly, it is failing during the install and that you are using the SATA controller? You will need to provide Windows XP the SATA driver during the install or create a slipstream installation cd with the driver.

As others have said, investigate using Virtualbox in Windows 7 to create a Virtual Windows XP machine. Or Windows 7 also has it available, it's called Windows 7 XP Mode

Thanks. Will give the virtual OS a try. I don't get as far as installation. I get to click install and it locks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Having a lot of trouble tracking down new XP compatible bits. How quick things move on.

Lol, not really. If you were using the phone you were using when XP was released it would look like this:
    no6310.gif

XP is ancient. It predates real wifi support, originally had the firewall disabled by default! Only fair nobody is remotely supporting it any more.

If all you need is to run an application a VM is by far the best choice here. The only snag is when that app uses hardware of some sort(say a scanner/DRM stick/other) then it can be a bit tricky.

ED E wrote: »
    Lol, not really. If you were using the phone you were using when XP was released it would look like this:
    no6310.gif

Best phone ever! Ah life was simpler with nokias and XP. Firewalls were for the weak.:D

Advertisement