Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dual Sport - Advice Required.

• 12-10-2015 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Thinking about getting a DS to add to the stable down the line for a bit of fun. (Already have a K6 1000 for the Sunday blasts and the VFR800 for commuting/mundane mileage - when I get it running that is...) so am thinking getting something different and a dual sport would tick the box I suppose.

I would use it for tearing around the fields but also on the road a bit. So probably about 50% use on the road and 50% use off-road.

Ideally I'd be looking for something with a minimum of 400cc and has to be a 4 stroke engine. Budget is max. €2000 but cheaper the better obviously.

Have been keeping an eye on DoneDeal but nothing is really grabbing my attention. It just seems to be full of 250cc supermoto Hondas or pitbikes in Muck and Fun - do they have anything else there? Like DR-400/ XT660s?
    I spotted a Yamaha WR450 on DoneDeal a while ago that I liked but it was a bit on the expensive side to be honest.

May go for gander to Muck and Fun and see whats there for myself unless anyone says otherwise regarding dealings with them.

Suggestions on what might suit my above criteria also appreciated.

Although it looks like I may have to look overseas...I'm not going to be buying anytime soon, its more a about research really.

And just out of curiosity really, is there anything I should be aware of or be prepared for coming from a 1000cc sportsbike to a dual sport?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Traction is limited offroad, you will be fine with a 400cc bike but high maintenence like WR450 will soon get wearing with small oil capacity.
    They are not a 50/50 bike more like a 90/10.
    Given your criteria something like an XR400 would be best.
    Light weight is a big thing for offroad, big thumpers like XT660's are not pleasant in heavy offroad conditions where you could be picking it up multiple times in a day.
    It depends on your definition of offroad, gravel tracks and flat fields are easy enough to handle on more or less anything, greasy hills and rocky climbs are quite a different animal.
    If you are really thinking of going offroad a 250-450cc trailbike not a MX machine would be the easiest and cheapest solution.
    Japanese bikes are the easiest to maintain but Euro machines have more performance and handling at the cost of high maintenance.
    At this price level be careful about what you buy some stuff many need a lot of work to bring it up to scratch which can be pricey.
    I have heard a lot of stories about the Wicklow crowd, wouldn't buy there myself personally.
    Oh I forgot, budget for gear as well. Boots pants and armour/gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Traction is limited offroad, you will be fine with a 400cc bike but high maintenence like WR450 will soon get wearing with small oil capacity.
    They are not a 50/50 bike more like a 90/10.
    Given your criteria something like an XR400 would be best.
    Light weight is a big thing for offroad, big thumpers like XT660's are not pleasant in heavy offroad conditions where you could be picking it up multiple times in a day.
    It depends on your definition of offroad, gravel tracks and flat fields are easy enough to handle on more or less anything, greasy hills and rocky climbs are quite a different animal.
    If you are really thinking of going offroad a 250-450cc trailbike not a MX machine would be the easiest and cheapest solution.
    Japanese bikes are the easiest to maintain but Euro machines have more performance and handling at the cost of high maintenance.
    At this price level be careful about what you buy some stuff many need a lot of work to bring it up to scratch which can be pricey.
    I have heard a lot of stories about the Wicklow crowd, wouldn't buy there myself personally.
    Oh I forgot, budget for gear as well. Boots pants and armour/gloves.

Thanks for the detailed reply CJhaughey,

Yeah I was aware of the high maintenance costs associated with the likes of the KTMs and am not really considering them due to that so I am willing to lose out on performance to keep maintenance costs down. I'll have the GSXR for when I need top performance, albeit just on the road.

As the bike would be used for knocking about fields/back-roading I wouldn't be looking for something with outright performance but something that still has enough go all the same. I think as you suggested an XR400 could be ideal, however trying to find one for sale might be a challenge as I can't find even one on DoneDeal at the moment and just the one on Adverts.

Luckily I'm in no rush, but will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

You may consider the Beta Alp 400cc. It's relatively cheap, drinks little gasoline, many mods and virtually indestructible...
    I know it's a bit ugly, but it's a functional bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

DR350 or DR400. DR650 in there too.

I find a lot of modern DS are too extreme - we need modern XT500 - everything now is X-fighters height and loony riding position.

Would explain the advent of the Ducati Scrambler and Triumph Scramber - not true DS I know, but they hark back to a usable scale one from the past.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Montesa have a new machine coming out soon, 4ride, these are really motoalpinismo bikes which are lightweight like a trials machine but with a higher seat and more fuel capacity for longer rides.
    I agree modern enduro stuff is like a motocross machine with an 18" rear and a wider range gearbox.
    Things like XL250's were brilliant machines for just tooling around on without fear of being spat off when they come on cam in a bad section of trail.

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »

I find a lot of modern DS are too extreme - we need modern XT500 - everything now is X-fighters height and loony riding position.

Would explain the advent of the Ducati Scrambler and Triumph Scramber - not true DS I know, but they hark back to a usable scale one from the past.
    Honda Vigor is a pretty close version of the XT with a 19" front.
    Better engine as well.

galwaytt wrote: »

Yeah something along the lines of a DR sounds like it would fit the bill. But finding one for sale is the problem...seems to be very scarce on the ground.

A DR350 went up on DD for €950 the other night and was gone within a matter of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What about an Mz baghira?
    Yamaha Xt660 engine so more or less bomb proof!
    Rare enough too.

I have an Mz mastiff which is basically the same bike.
    Every time I bring it out it gets loads of attention.
    It's restored and is an absolutely beautiful bike.
    IMG_2505_zps0ba589b0.png

photo2_zps6255fc00.jpg

There's 2 for sale on Donedeal.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/10476080
    Mz Baghira 660cc

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/10154200
    MZ Baghira 660

blade1 wrote: »
    What about an Mz baghira?
    Yamaha Xt660 engine so more or less bomb proof!
    Rare enough too.

I have an Mz mastiff which is basically the same bike.
    Every time I bring it out it gets loads of attention.
    It's restored and is an absolutely beautiful bike.
    IMG_2505_zps0ba589b0.png

photo2_zps6255fc00.jpg

There's 2 for sale on Donedeal.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/10476080
    Mz Baghira 660cc

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/10154200
    MZ Baghira 660

Never heard of these before but I do like the look of the one for sale there in Kerry. Will do a bit more research but yeah they seem rare enough too.

Nice bike you have there yourself by the way blade:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nice bike you have there yourself by the way blade:cool:

She's not too shabby for 17 years old.

Not much good for main road or Motorway but a blast on the back roads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement