Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First alarm install - wired system

Options
  • 12-10-2015 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have bought a house that's pre-wired for an alarm. Before reading some stuff on the forum, I was planning on installing the following:

1 x Honeywell G2-12 control panel
    1 x Honeywell GP037 keypad (already bought but can sell on)
    1 x Texecom 3e bell box
    16 x GS613 sensors
    1 x 12v 7AH battery
    1 x internal siren
    1 x PSTN to GSM unit or GSM module

Any opinions on the above? Should I be considering an IP system?

In addition to the above, I'm planning to install some IP CCTV to cover the driveway and rear garden.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

An interesting choice of panel. Is there any feature you are particularly looking for that makes you go for that?
    Any new systems now I would definitely recommend IP. Its so much more flexible and you will effectively have free alerts & remote access to your alarm for the life of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I guess price & reputation was a consideration - can be had for about €70 including the keypad which is great for such a high quality unit.

I'm open to suggestions on an IP panel - I need a separate control panel and keypad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

My first choice on IP systems would be Siemens. Easy to set up and programme and can be all done via web browser or configuration software.
    If your comparing IP panels here is a good place to start.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gheorge

commited wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have bought a house that's pre-wired for an alarm. Before reading some stuff on the forum, I was planning on installing the following:

1 x Texecom 3e bell box
    16 x GS613 sensors
    1 x 12v 7AH battery
    1 x internal siren

In addition to the above, I'm planning to install some IP CCTV to cover the driveway and rear garden.

Hi, I didn't know to much about how to install an alarm system, but I was able to install myself in my house and friends house. I purchased all kit from ebay uk for aprox 300 euro, they also give you some advises when buying all kit.
    Now people want to have access to their alarm system remotely. So if you want to invest little bit more and have access from anywhere in the world, go and purchase a Zwave system. I have one and I am so happy, that I can monitor my house online: arm and disarm alarm system, turn the light on and off. me sure the temperature in the house.... . Also, you can install the IP cameras with zwave system. Let me know if you need more info. Good luck and sorry for typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gheorge

commited wrote: »
    Hi folks,

1 x Texecom 3e bell box
    16 x GS613 sensors
    1 x 12v 7AH battery
    1 x internal siren

Hi, I didn't know to much about how to install an alarm system, but I was able to install myself in my house and friends house. I purchased all kit from ebay uk for aprox 300 euro, they also give you some advises when buying all kit.
    Now people want to have access to their alarm system remotely. So if you want to invest little bit more and have access from anywhere in the world, go and purchase a Zwave system. I have one and I am so happy, that I can monitor my house online: arm and disarm alarm system, turn the light on and off. me sure the temperature in the house.... . Also, you can install the IP cameras with zwave system. Let me know if you need more info. Good luck and sorry for typo.

Also,
    let me know I can send you the link from ebay.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    My first choice on IP systems would be Siemens. Easy to set up and programme and can be all done via web browser or configuration software.
    If your comparing IP panels here is a good place to start.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782

Thanks for that. Looks like the Siemens SPC4320 kit is well received on here.

Any recommendations on a bell box?

What's the main advantage to the IP systems over traditional PSTN? Seems like quite a premium to pay for an app but I may be missing something.

Hi the advantages of IP is you are connected in real time and have full control of the system. You can do anything that you can do if you were at the keypad. There is an initial install charge but there are no charges for the apps or for usage. You may be getting confused with the HKC prices. They are the only ones I know that charge for apps and their use.
    For external bell I would recommend the Pyronix Delta Bell.

Thanks for the bell box recommendation, looks good :)

As far as premium goes, I meant for the initial set up - I haven't called around for prices but expecting them to be considerably more expensive than the Honeywell system I was looking at that would rely on PSTN. I lived happily for years without an IP system, that said I'm a sucker for gadgets...

Well you can use a generic PSTN Voice dialler on any system at very little outlay.

From my quick ring around and calls, the Siemens IP system looks like a €190 premium over my initial plan to use the Honeywell system. It also comes with the benefit of proximity tags. I guess I just need to work out if it's worth it (and also be at the mercy of my internet connection).

Any opinions on GS711 vs GS613? The GS711 works out a bit cheaper.

• Advertisement

The Siemens 4320 comes with proxy tags and reader also.
    The gs613 are the more reliable unit IMO

Picking up an SP4320 system and GS613 sensors to kit out the whole house - thanks for your advice Koolkid :)

Good luck with the installation. If you need any help give me a shout.

Good luck with the installation. If you need any help give me a shout.

I'm taking you up on that offer now!

So all up and running - pretty big job in the end considering the amount of perimeter protection!

2 questions:
    1. Any idea where I can get the latest firmware? I'm running 3.4.5 at the moment..
    2. How do I get the panel to send me notifications and get the app working?

I have PMed you the Firmwares after 3-4-5
    Upgrade all the way to 3-6-6.
    When you have that done you will notice a new section in communications FlexC.
    This will give you the Panel ID to register your panel to SPC Connect.com
    On SPC Connect.com register a new account and activate it.
    Click add panel to account. There are 3 fields panel ID which will be shown in FlexC
    User Name . This is the user & code you set up on the panel .
    Password . This this the alarm code assigned to the user above.
    When this is done goto list panels and click on the edit icon for you panel.
    There are setting here to enable notifications ,add emails to be notified etc.
    When that's done install the app SPC Connect and login in with your SPC Connect credentials.

Thanks a million for your help, will upgrade and hopefully everything will work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Just wondering if the OP is a registered installer....and if not, will the house insurance company accept a self-installed system if he's declaring it on the policy proposal?

I'm not a registered installer. When I renew my insurance, I'm going to explain that I installed the alarm. Worst case scenario they don't count it and I get no discount. I believe some people have had a self-installed alarm accepted.

exaisle wrote: »
    Just wondering if the OP is a registered installer....and if not, will the house insurance company accept a self-installed system if he's declaring it on the policy proposal?

They will accept it as an alarm installed but not conforming to en50131.
    As a precaution, if it were me I'd look for it to be listed as a self install on the policy.

Hit a bit of a stumbling block - How do I grant manufacturer access while in SPC Pro?

Edit - got that, upgraded firmware but now can't get in with SPC Pro!

• Advertisement

Can you connect via the browser. Change Grade to unrestricted and change manufacturer access in System> System Options
    Uncheck the following.
    Allow Engineer If checked a user must grant engineer access.
    Allow Manufacturer If checked then a user must grant manufacturer access.

Did I give you the latest copy of SPC Pro?

OK I've managed to get browser to work and I'm currently trying to set up on SPC Connect, have registered and have Panel ID. Unsure what to put in for Panel Username & Panel Password though?

I don't have latest version of SPCPro, if you could PM it, it would be a great help!

Username is the name assigned to user 1
    Password is the code assigned to that user.
    (You can also use any other user that's set up for web access)
    I will PM you SPC Pro.

Thanks, I sent you a quick PM there.

Can't seem to get the servers to talk to each other. I'm with UPC and port forwarding of 443 just doesn't seem to work :(

Is the network connection at the panel definitely live. If you goto status >FlexC what is it saying.?
    Try restarting the panel.
    PortPort forwarding is not required.

Is the network connection at the panel definitely live. If you goto status >FlexC what is it saying.?
    Try restarting the panel.
    PortPort forwarding is not required.

It says ATS fault but I'm able to access the panel through my router and this is how I have been doing all my programming, from the comfort of my couch!

Is the IP settings manual or dynamic.?
    If manual check the gateway and DNS settings are correct.

That was exactly the problem! All sorted, thanks for all of your help - was fantastic :)

• Advertisement

Well done.
    Now to get decent polling, in engineer goto:
    Communications
    FlexC
    Click edit icon on configured ATS
    Click edit on Primary ATP
    Now on ATP Category select Cat 4 for 30 second polling with notifications after 3 minutes.
    If you want higher see below.

ATP Category Polling Interval Polling Timeout
    Cat 6 [Ethernet] 8s
    20s
    Cat 5 [Ethernet] 10s
    90s
    Cat 4 [Ethernet] 30s
    3min

You can select whatever category you want. There are no charges no matter what polling you want.
    Also remember to select Network when you edit your panel & enable notification on your panel on SPCConnect.com

Advertisement