Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1440p PC gaming monitor

• 12-10-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy a good 1440p monitor around 27" in size. Currently I use a 40" Samsung series 8 LED TV for my display. Problem is the TV gives me 300ms input lag which is way too much for FPS games. All my games look amazing on it at 60fps but the input lag has become unbearable.

My knowledge on 1440p monitors is minimal so does anyone have suggestions? My budget is in and around the 500 euro mark. Also is it worth buying a 1440p display

Intel i7 4790
    16GB Ram
    AMD Radeon R9 200

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Something to look at are the korean monitors that are great panels but on cheap stands with no extras, look for pixel perfect

QNIX QX2710

Yamakasi Q270 Jupiter

Crossover 27QW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Whats your gfx card? R9 200 is the series, i.e. is it a 290? Reason is it takes a bit of gpu grunt to game at the native resolution of 1440p.

As for "is it worth buying a 1440p display" i would definately say yes( im gaming on an ultra wide 21:9 34" screen - its the same size vertically as a 29" but with extra bits on the side - very expensive though unfortunately ).

When i was thinking of getting a 27" i was going to get a Qnix QX2710( its actually a Samsung panel, its IPS, Samsung call it PLS ) and overclock it - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=383822
    They can overclock to 100hz-144hz and are relatively cheap. Best to avoid the SE or True10 versions.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

I dont know of those manufacturers Skerries are they any use? Thought Asus and Acer were good ones to go with.

Video Card AMD Radeon (TM) R9 200 Series
    Dedicated Memory 4096 MB
    Total Memory 4.0 GB
    Pixel Shader Version 5.0
    Vertex Shader Version 5.0
    Hardware T & L Yes
    Driver Version 15.200.1062.1004

Would my graphics card be ok for 1440 gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I bought one of these a few months back, very happy with it (might not be ideal if you're looking for very fast refresh rates) but fine for most gaming: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/25Zoll--63-50cm--Dell-UltraSharp-U2515H-schwarz-2560x1440-1xDP-1x-MiniDP-_988581.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I could be wrong but I'm sure there are quite a few new g-sync monitors due to be released before Xmas, have a look on google, personally I'm waiting on the acer x34
    http://www.acer.com/predator/en_US/predator_x34.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Gsync 144hz before resolution any day of the week.
    I have a 1440 60hz,1920x1200 dell IPS 60hz and new 1080 Gsync 144hz monitor, the older two screens are gathering dust since i got the gsync monitor,gsync 144hz has to be seen to be believed.
    Obviously a 1440 IPS gsync would be the sweet spot for some but then you will need a lot more horsepower to hit 144fps constantly,having said that gsync is amazing at 90fps/hz too.
    I decided to stick with 1080 gsync 144hz,only losing out on a mere 3" and 17ppi,its perfect for my GTX970.
    I know your running an AMD card so maybe freesync would be an option.

maybe sell him your old monitor? :D

Have a buyer for it, might sell the dell ips too.

how much and what model?

Dell u2412m IPS 1200p,id have to get €200 min for it, really great monitor,its been my gaming monitor of choice up to getting the gsync screen.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I took a punt on a qnix a few years back and I have to say I am delighted with mine.

Dcully wrote: »
    Dell u2412m IPS 1200p,id have to get €200 min for it, really great monitor,its been my gaming monitor of choice up to getting the gsync screen.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

ah didn't realise it was a 24", I'd be looking for a 27" myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

DarraghR wrote: »
    I dont know of those manufacturers Skerries are they any use? Thought Asus and Acer were good ones to go with.

Video Card AMD Radeon (TM) R9 200 Series
    Dedicated Memory 4096 MB
    Total Memory 4.0 GB
    Pixel Shader Version 5.0
    Vertex Shader Version 5.0
    Hardware T & L Yes
    Driver Version 15.200.1062.1004

Would my graphics card be ok for 1440 gaming.

That still doesn't say what card you have, just that it is R9 200 series. Did you not buy the card yourself at some stage? Or where did you get it from - surely it was advertised what card you have.

If you have an R9 290 you'll be fine, if it's a 4GB R9 270X, you won't be able to drive games at 1440 overly well.

type dxdiag into search and it will tell you which GPU you have under display

So I learned that VSync is only compatible with Nvidia cards and Gsync is for AMD. I ran dxdiag and this is the result I got

AMD.jpg

The graphics card came with the computer when I bought it.

The main goal of this new monitor is to reduce input lag, screen tearing and possibly have 1440p at a minimum 60 fps but any higher would be fantastic. I am starting to think that I should just go for a good 1080p monitor with good refresh rate as a 1440p 144hz would require lowering the graphical settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Darragh you're wrong im afraid Vsync is standard old technology available to all gfx cards. Freesync is AMD only and Gsync is Nvidia only. also you need to think about what games you play mainly. If it FPS games then these sync technologies arent that vitally important and refresh rate is. Ideally you should get a monitor with high refresh and have freesync given that you have an AMD card.

Sorry got a bit mixed up with all of the Syncs yeah I meant Gsync for Nvidia :p
    Well I play a lot of games but yes mainly FPS. So I should be going for something around 100hz refresh rate? Will my spec be able to handle 1440p resolution at high or ultra settings? I hope to buy a Nvidia card a few years down the line so I am kind of screwed

Download GPU-Z, that will tell you what card you have. That still only says that you have an R9 series card, it's not model specific.

Untitled.jpg

Just to add the reason I have decided to go for a gaming monitor is dues to my 300ms input lag. Are there ways of bringing this down to even 50 or below?

• Advertisement

That's a R9 270 or 270X neither would be nearly good enough for 1440P high-ultra on the latest games at high fps. You would really need a GTX970 or R9 390, and have a budget of about 320-360 euro depending on which card.

The card you have is good for mostly high settings at 1080p at 50-60fps in most modern games.

Obviously if you were just playing something like CS: GO you would be totally fine with the 270 card at 1440p.

Ok so maybe I should just go for a monitor at 1080p with IPS and a high refresh rate? Or can anyone tell me is it possible to bring my input lag of 300ms down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ok so maybe I should just go for a monitor at 1080p with IPS and a high refresh rate? Or can anyone tell me is it possible to bring my input lag of 300ms down

How do you know its 300ms?

Most televisions have a gaming mode,turn that on. It reduces the amoumt of post processing the television does and reduces input lag at the cost of a slightly reduced image quality. A good trade off imo

I did a few online tests. Yeah tried switching on game mode but no major results. I heard VGA would help over HDMI but my TV does not have a VGA and to be honest I would loose too much quality

What online test? Are you sure its accurate?

I have a 7 year old samsung series 5 i use for the PC the odd night,so i can just sit on couch and have a game. Its not as responsive as my monitor but i would say the difference is barely noticable.

Input lag doesnt go away with resolution,it usually depends on the panel type what latency you will get. For instance a 1080p TN panel will usually have very low latency,1ms claimed usually and IPS will have about 5ms claimed. But the IPS will have better image quality. So there is a trade off,personally id go with IPS and its better image quality.

Heres a 1080p TN panel,note the 1ms GtG response time:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CFFFGUM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1445554345&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=1080p+1ms&dpPl=1&dpID=51XBG0CT0lL&ref=plSrch

And here is a 1080p IPS,note the 5ms GtG response time:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GGQFP9S/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1445554731&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=1080p+ips&dpPl=1&dpID=41FQj3HX6TL&ref=plSrch&dpPl=1&dpID=41FQj3HX6TL&ref=plSrch

So basically if you want monitor with the best response times you will sacrifice a degree of image quality currently or pay a massive premium. Personally though i think 99% of people are not going to notice the difference between 1ms and 5ms.

Can you borrow a monitor from somewhere and see if the problem still exists with the PC hooked up to that?

Your card just isn't good enough for a 100hz or 144hz monitor at 1080p either. You will need a new card if you want that kind of performance. You would still need an R9 390 or GTX970 to drive that kind of display. Your current card would be OK for 1080p medium-some high at 60fps on new games.

Also how old is the Samsung? Whats the model number?

300ms just doesnt sound right,having a quick look online the average response times for TV's atm ranges from about 22ms-150ms. Unless its quite an old TV maybe there is something else a miss

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My qnix running fine for years @120hz, class monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Are the G-Sync Monitors for Nvidia cards or Freesync For Radeon worth paying the over the odds for?

Or are they just a hype?

• Advertisement

Well i recently bought a gsync 144hz monitor and i will never go back to 60 hz non gsync again.
    Far from hype in my opinion, its a game changer and without doubt the biggest impact on my gaming from any upgrade ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Well i recently bought a gsync 144hz monitor and i will never go back to 60 hz non gsync again.
    Far from hype in my opinion, its a game changer and without doubt the biggest impact on my gaming from any upgrade ever.

B-but cinematic experience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

You had a Catleap prior to that didn't you?

I am still using my Catleap and love it. But I'm playing CSGO now and I'm thinking of upgrading to 144hz or similar.

Ideally I'd want a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor. What are you on now?

Did you miss the vibrant colours of the IPS panel?

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    You had a Catleap prior to that didn't you?

I am still using my Catleap and love it. But I'm playing CSGO now and I'm thinking of upgrading to 144hz or similar.

Ideally I'd want a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor. What are you on now?

Did you miss the vibrant colours of the IPS panel?

Yeah i had a catleap previously aswell as a host of other monitors :)

I went with the AOC G2460PG 1080 gsync 144hz and its really impressive.
    Granted im losing out on 3 inches and 17ppi from 1440 but tbh i barely notice it such is the insane performance of the AOC.
    I admit to missing out on the glorious IPS colours of my Dell U2412M [which im selling over on adverts] and the LG 29UM65 IPS but colours are fine on the AOC, not as good as an IPS but apparently a lot better than most gsync 144hz non ips screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Yeah i had a catleap previously aswell as a host of other monitors :)

I went with the AOC G2460PG 1080 gsync 144hz and its really impressive.
    Granted im losing out on 3 inches and 17ppi from 1440 but tbh i barely notice it such is the insane performance of the AOC.
    I admit to missing out on the glorious IPS colours of my Dell U2412M [which im selling over on adverts] and the LG 29UM65 IPS but colours are fine on the AOC, not as good as an IPS but apparently a lot better than most gsync 144hz non ips screens.

Thanks for that. I have an ATI gfx card. Maybe time to upgrade both card and monitor. Christmas is around the corner :)

Sorry if I'm stealing thread, seems quite on topic though. Hope it's okay.

There are IPS gsync 1440 screens but they are around the €800 mark, asus rog and acer predator but over on overclockers there seems to be quite a few having issues with dead pixels,onscreen menu and switches, general bad workmanship it seems.

• Advertisement

There are IPS gsync 1440 screens but they are around the €800 mark, asus rog and acer predator but over on overclockers there seems to be quite a few having issues with dead pixels,onscreen menu and switches, general bad workmanship it seems.

yea the acers have an awful reputation for being badly constructed. between extreme light bleed along with the ones you already mentioned.

I'm just waiting to get the money together for the asus rog 165hz (in Gsync only) 1440p IPS monitor. its around the 1k mark though. and i wont take the plunge until i see some user reviews.... Professional reviews of monitors i find misleading as they get hand picked samples with none of the issues your average consumer will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

SSD for me, is 144 that big a step ?

dreamers75 wrote: »

From 60hz yea it is a very big dif. Particularly in fps games

dreamers75 wrote: »

Yes its massive, i was a doubter for a long time but 144hz along with gsync was too much of a carrot on a stick for me so i took the plunge and it really is a game changer.
    60-144 is huge once you can keep a solid 144fps, gsync just makes it all come together better and makes it buttery smooth even if you are not hitting 144fps constant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yes its massive, i was a doubter for a long time but 144hz along with gsync was too much of a carrot on a stick for me so i took the plunge and it really is a game changer.
    60-144 is huge once you can keep a solid 144fps, gsync just makes it all come together better and makes it buttery smooth even if you are not hitting 144fps constant.

Depends very much on the game though no? I can't imagine my EU IV experience being improved much by one.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Depends very much on the game though no? I can't imagine my EU IV experience being improved much by one.

EU IV?

Fps games in particular are totally transformed @ 144hz with gsync the cherry on top.
    Pretty much any game will benefit from gsync though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Europa Universlis i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

EU IV?

Fps games in particular are totally transformed @ 144hz with gsync the cherry on top.
    Pretty much any game will benefit from gsync though.

Sorry, Europa Universalis. I'm curious because there's a rather large gaming community on PC that don't play FPS/MMO/3rd person action games etc and I'm wondering if they gain from this. I can see the benefits for me clearly in some games but others seem quite agnostic about frame rate once it's over a minimum.

Advertisement