Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with neighbour, he's an owner not a tenant. What can we do?

• 13-10-2015 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a similar issue with a neighbour right now. He looks a lot like Nidge from Love/Hate, and his behaviour isn't too far off that. Early one morning (approx 2am) about a year ago, he started screaming and shouting outside my door, accusing me of "bein a f****n rah, callin da gaaards" on him. He then proceeded to kick the door, while screaming death threats at me, for no less than 10 minutes. I was a bit freaked out, all I could think of was to stand behind the door with a hammer at the ready - if he had come through the door, his skull would have received a handy B&Q augmentation...

By the way, if you're reading this, Nidgey - yes, THAT's how close you came to being killed that night. Try it again, and you'll be the one snitching, "bud".

Anyway, I didn't call the guards on him that night - I was a bit wary as I hadn't seen much of him before that, and needed to know if he's likely to have the capability of following through on a death threat. A year later, all my covert investigations suggest not.

He has caused similar issues for other people in the building, and has recently started acting up again - only trouble is, he owns his apartment! How can I get someone evicted from their own apartment? Is this possible? I don't care if he's on drugs, has mental issues, forgot to take his meds, whatever - that's his problem not mine. Lawful suggestions only - I don't want to resort to legal grey areas at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note
    Split into thread of its own as ways to deal with a troublesome tenant are not the same as a troublesome owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NTW20 wrote: »
    He has caused similar issues for other people in the building, and has recently started acting up again - only trouble is, he owns his apartment!
    If you're renting, move.

If you also own, have the other people complain against him, and perhaps management can get him to cop on.

Most of the time, apartment owners are on a 900 year rental license, so although he owns it, technically he doesn't, so maybe read the terms and conditions of living in your complex are, and use them to your advantage?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fit some very discreet cctv. Gather the evidence, then act against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is no way you can have him evicted.

You should have called the guards that night. If he had gotten thru the door and you'd assaulted him with the hammer and, say, killed him, then you would have been the one in court.

And you should call the guards every other time you see or hear a serious crime being committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You should have called the guards that night. If he had gotten thru the door and you'd assaulted him with the hammer and, say, killed him, then you would have been the one in court.

And you should call the guards every other time you see or hear a serious crime being committed.

Open to correction, but if someone breaks into your house and you are in fear for yours and your families life, you wont see the inside of a courtroom for defending yourself.
    But you are right in that he should have called the Gardai.

You are entitled to defend yourself in your own home, if someone bursts through your door making for you you are allowed to use force to protect yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

You are entitled to defend yourself in your own home, if someone bursts through your door making for you you are allowed to use force to protect yourself.

Using reasonable force. In fairness, Mrs O'Bumble does say "and if you killed him".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op you need to report all problems to management and gardai.

Also if you can record evidence even better.

Anyone can protect their property or their lives with as much force as is deemed reasonable.

No jury is going to convict unless you really go to town on them.

Stick CCTV on your door, and overlooking your car parking space* if you have one. Ring the Gardai every time you see him doing something dodgy, whether or not it involves you.

*That's assuming your space is visible from your apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NTW20

Apparently he is "known to gardai" (which is just media euphemism for "scumbag", isn't it!). Other tenants/owners won't complain anymore - he has severely intimidated several of them into never calling the guards or management company on him ever again. If he finds out who ratted on him, he'll do the same thing to them at 3am. And if he isn't able to find out, he just assumes, like he did with me. In a heroin-fuelled burst of paranoia, probably (I'm making assumptions here myself, but you should see the way this guy swaggers around when sober - he's delighted that RTE have made a series about his life).

Should have called the guards that night? I don't think anyone in their right mind would have done that after hearing the death threat he made. Anyway, all they seem to do is release him, armed with the number of the apartment whose occupant made the complaint.

Move? In the current property market, I couldn't afford to. Also, whoever moves into the apartment after me will have the same problem. Nope, Nidgealike is the cause of the problem - he's got to either stop harassing people, or go. I have heard him screaming at people in the corridor a few times, so it wouldn't take much to provoke him - the discreet CCTV suggestions may be my best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NTW20

Using reasonable force. In fairness, Mrs O'Bumble does say "and if you killed him".

Boards seems to have deleted my last comment, so here's a watered-down version to appease the Oligarchical Collective:

The Pádraig Nally case suggests that "reasonable force" includes killing an intruder. Pathetic self-defence laws make it impossible to merely incapacitate an attacker (mace, tasers, etc are illegal here and in the UK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

You say he owns his apt,in all likelihood he's not paying his mortgage if he's as messed up on drugs as you indicate-just wait for the sheriff to turn up and evict him in the next few years!!!