Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL qualifcaiton/course question

Options
  • 13-10-2015 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks.

Was hoping yea could help me with something. My friend is doing a TEFL course in the hope of teaching classes here in Dublin. I'm just a bit concerned that the course she has signed up to won't give her the qualification required to work here.

She is doing this one (140 hours - Professional TEFL course): http://www.i-to-i.com/tefl-course

Will this allow her to teach English here? How do the TEFL qualifications work?

Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Tusky wrote: »
    Hello folk.

Was hoping yea could help me with something. My friend is doing a TEFL course in the hope of teaching classes here in Dublin. I'm just a bit concerned that the course she has signed up to won't give her the qualification required to work here.

She is doing this one (140 hours - Professional TEFL course): http://www.i-to-i.com/tefl-course

Will this allow her to teach English here? How do the TEFL qualifications work?

Many thanks for your help.

No, those i to i courses are a scam, in that they're generally not recognized, and definitely not for teaching in Ireland. She'll need to get a CELTA or a CELT + have an undergraduate degree to be able to teach in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

cactusgal wrote: »
    No, those i to i courses are a scam, in that they're generally not recognized, and definitely not for teaching in Ireland. She'll need to get a CELTA or a CELT + have an undergraduate degree to be able to teach in Ireland.

Devastated to hear this as she has already paid and can't really afford to book into another course.

Is this one totally useless for her in Ireland? i.e is there any point in her continuing with it if she has paid/already started? I wonder would she be able to seek a refund through her credit card as they told her over the phone that it would work for Ireland?

Final question - can you recommend a specific course that will get her work in Ireland? She has a B.A and M.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Hey, it's my understanding that yes, those courses are not useful for being employed by reputable language schools in Ireland (I'm an employee at such a school). Her best bet would be to ring around a few different schools and ask what TEFL qualification they accept.
    For employment in Ireland, the majority of schools require the CELTA or the CELT (both a good bit more expensive and time consuming than the i to i courses).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JExplorer

Hi all,

I am considering a move to go teach English, I have seen TEFL, Celt, Celta? What is the difference and which one is best if I want to teach in say Mexico or south America? Would be great to get some feedback thanks

Advertisement