Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Potential Tenant

Options
  • 13-10-2015 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've been looking at moving out of the house for quite a while and found a nice place in around Dublin City Centre seems an ideal location for 2 of us rent at 1000 a month including bills (seems a little cheap I thought) but talking to the guy he says he lives in Spain so won't be using the apartment so we could rent for long time if needed. Talking to him he has broken but decent English suggesting he is a Spanish national.

Just wondering does this seem a bit strange, he could be decent but he says he flew back a while ago to show the apartment off but the other guy never showed and it cost him a lot of money so now trip advisor has the keys so the deal would be safe. I have asked him how we can view the apartment as no way would we be handing money over having not seen the place to which he hasn't replied yet.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this, is this relatively normal and I'm just being over protective or am I right in thinking its a little strange. Do trip advisor normally deal in stuff like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Scam scam scam. Trip advisor do not hold keys. The general rule is if it seems to be too good to be true then it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Don't hand over a cent until you've stepped into the apartment and have seen the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Thanks sorry it's probably a stupid question but not knowing much I thought I'd ask anyway. This is what he sent back when we started chatting just in case he is mass sending it.
    We've moved to Spain because we just opened a small business and we decided to rent out our apartment because nobody will live there. We will not use the place any more, so you can rent it even for a long term.

Last time when we wanted to rent no one showed up so we lost time and money.

I was there last week because I had to meet with a family who wanted to rent the apartment,
    but when i arrived there, the man never answered to my calls.
    As you can imagine, I lost a lot of money (plane ticket, taxi...etc...) i don't want to risk again to come in vain.

So I decided to make the transaction through TripAdvisor.
    They have the keys and the contract , they will act as a third party so the deal will be safe.

If you are ready to rent it please email me with:

1. Full Name:

2. Full Address:

3. Preferred fixed term length:

4. Preferred commencement date of tenancy:

5. Reason for moving:

6. Total number of occupants:

7. If you have children :

8. Contact number:

9. If you have pets:

10. Age:

11. Copy of your ID :

12. Profession:

After i will receive your details i will forward them to TripAdvisor and they will contact you with further details
    regarding the terms of the deal. I require € 950 monthly rent + € 950 deposit = € 1900

I will wait an answer from you with your decision as i have many people interested to rent my apartment.

Best regards,
    Ps yes I did laugh at no one wanted to rent then at the end, I have lots of people looking to rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Trip Advisor is not a letting agency ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Thanks sorry it's probably a stupid question but not knowing much I thought I'd ask anyway. This is what he sent back when we started chatting just in case he is mass sending it.

Ps yes I did laugh at no one wanted to rent then at the end, I have lots of people looking to rent

Daft have a handy guide for spotting scams. This, unfortunately, is almost 100% a scam

http://touch.daft.ie/content/safetyonline.daft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭StanleyOllie

Heard about scams like this on the radio recently. Do not part with any money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

The abroad landlord is a scam nearly every single time. They only contact by email and will let you get the keys once you've paid, or so they claim.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Where did you find the Ad for the apartment and have you reported it yet before someone does fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Right definitely a scam, sorry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 amdddc

This would indicate a scam to me. Most landlords aboard would have an agent or family member in Ireland to do their re letting. I would suggest don't ever hand over money unless you see the property and meet a person face to face in the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't hand over a cent until you've stepped into the apartment and have seen the keys.

They could be doing a scam with the keys, rent an apartment for a few days, show it, get deposits and leg it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Give all the détails to the guards . Report the ad also where ever it was advertised. Walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bills are never included in the rent, that in itself should be a dead giveaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Scam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Definitely a scam. It's nearly a textbook definition of that particular type of scam (although being based in Spain is a new one on me). I think some people who might be a bit suspicious would be reassured by the official looking email that will inevitably come from 'Tripadvisor', but this will of course be a fake too.

It happens, but it's very, very rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Definitely a scam. It's nearly a textbook definition of that particular type of scam (although being based in Spain is a new one on me). I think some people who might be a bit suspicious would be reassured by the official looking email that will inevitably come from 'Tripadvisor', but this will of course be a fake too.

It happens, but it's very, very rare.

Thankfully no money has been exchanged!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Also, a nice place in an ideal location Dublin city centre for €1000 per month including bills for two people wouldn't last long enough on the rental market to even send an e-mail.

Aside from the other scam-tastic points raised above, it's far too good to be true, which usually means it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

OP, the fact that you didn't see this immediately as a scam is worrying. Be very careful when in situations where anyone asks for your personal information or cash transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    OP, the fact that you didn't see this immediately as a scam is worrying. Be very careful when in situations where anyone asks for your personal information or cash transfers.

I did, a friend still had slight doubts, so I posted here to show him he is far too trusting and also just warn people even though it appears to be a very old scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

The scam ones usually allow pets & children. This combo with an abroad LL is a sure scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Even when you have keys in your hand you're not safe. Who is to say that he isn't a former tenant with a spare key who knows its still empty. Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Scamy mc scam op. Run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I did, a friend still had slight doubts, so I posted here to show him he is far too trusting and also just warn people even though it appears to be a very old scam.

Have you reported the scam?

It's the only way to fix this.

While the op's situation is definitely a scam I do know of a few people where their bills are included in the rent but it's houseshares not renting a full place.

Advertisement