Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend friendly groups to join?

• 13-10-2015 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys, living in limerick all my life but due to having a toddler and not working I feel like everyone is busy or just drifted apart can anyone recommend any friendly clubs/groups to join?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭fredo1664

Give meetup.com a try. In Limerick, there is a general "new and not so new" group, together with more specific groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What sort of interests do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I work full time and dont have a child. I find it impossible to make friends as an adult female. It sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Yes it's so very hard as a girl! I'm in my early twenties Interested in calligraphy, reading, art and game of thrones.

Would like to try yoga too just to give myself the kinda boost of confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

fredo1664 wrote: »
    Give meetup.com a try. In Limerick, there is a general "new and not so new" group, together with more specific groups.

I've had desperate bad luck with meetup. Just don't meet any like minded people at all. I'm a guy in my mid 20's and nothing I try ever works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

How about Salsa dancing lessons? Do they still do that in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭fredo1664

How about Salsa dancing lessons? Do they still do that in Limerick?
    As far as I know they still do on Sarsfield Bridge.
    Source: http://www.isalsalive.com/iSalsaLive/Welcome.html

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Join Girl Crew! There's groups all around the country (and world, now) and the Limerick one is fairly active. We've done lots of nights out, coffee mornings, cinema trips and there's a big glamping weekend coming up in November with girls coming from across the country and even from the UK.

It's a private Facebook group that you'll have to request to join. The website is probably the easiest way to do it: http://girlcrew.rocks

Anyone know of any indoor/outdoor soccer clubs/groups? Nothing serious, just a casual friendly group that meets up to have a laugh every so often and to meet new people. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Parchment wrote: »
    I work full time and dont have a child. I find it impossible to make friends as an adult female. It sucks.

Agreed. I'm doing an evening course at the moment. Only 9 of us in the class, but the class just doesn't seem to have gelled at all, and it's one that requires discussion in class, so you'd think everyone would mix more, but no :(

I go to the gym as well and while there are a few there that are quite chatty, most people just tend to do their own thing.

It just seems to get so much harder when you get older, and I'm only in my thirties so not quite over the hill yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Agreed. I'm doing an evening course at the moment. Only 9 of us in the class, but the class just doesn't seem to have gelled at all, and it's one that requires discussion in class, so you'd think everyone would mix more, but no :(

I go to the gym as well and while there are a few there that are quite chatty, most people just tend to do their own thing.

It just seems to get so much harder when you get older, and I'm only in my thirties so not quite over the hill yet!

Im in my 30's too. Regarding the gym - i also go to a gym regularly and chat to the same people but i think it seems a bit weird to then try to forge a friendship from casual meetings like that. There seems to be no un-weird way to do it!

I suppose if you were going to become friends with someone it should happen naturally but i think when you are a little older its not as easy - it seems like one person has to go out on a limb and ask someone to go for coffee or something.

There is a woman i meet regularly at a class we go to and i would love to chat to her more and i *think* she would too but im far to afraid to ask, imagine she said no...or even worse she felt obliged to say yes.

Its really tough.

Parchment wrote: »
    Im in my 30's too. Regarding the gym - i also go to a gym regularly and chat to the same people but i think it seems a bit weird to then try to forge a friendship from casual meetings like that. There seems to be no un-weird way to do it!

I suppose if you were going to become friends with someone it should happen naturally but i think when you are a little older its not as easy - it seems like one person has to go out on a limb and ask someone to go for coffee or something.

There is a woman i meet regularly at a class we go to and i would love to chat to her more and i *think* she would too but im far to afraid to ask, imagine she said no...or even worse she felt obliged to say yes.

Its really tough.

I'm in my mind 20's and I find it really hard. Very shy person to start off with, never been good getting to find new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'd be quite chatty. Maybe I'm just TOO chatty and freak people out? I dunno :(

I'd be quite chatty. Maybe I'm just TOO chatty and freak people out? I dunno :(

Na I wouldn't think so. I'd be the total opposite, very quiet but I enjoy listening to others more so than talk about myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

jaxxx wrote: »
    Na I wouldn't think so. I'd be the total opposite, very quiet but I enjoy listening to others more so than talk about myself.
    You sound perfect for each other!

You sound perfect for each other!

Think it's a gal friend she's looking for :p lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Celligraphy, as you have a toddler you need to get out to some activities like those baby gyms or music classes, I know that they run quite a few in delta and elsewhere no doubt. My wife has been going for years with our kids and she's met loads of other mothers, they often stay afterwards for a coffee and some have become good friends, you'll find that mothers of your own age will be there as well as the 'older' mothers.
    Good luck, use that kid as bait;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Celligraphy, if you are at home with a toddler how about trying the ParkandPlay toddler group that meets in Pery Square every Thursday morning. The set up at that group mean it's a very good group for getting to talk to the other parents.

Advertisement