Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Fenix vs 910 (Running mainly, swim and outdoors)

Options
  • 13-10-2015 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I ve always been a sports enthusiast.. my true love is running (currently 50km a week) but i m a good swimmer... love also outdoor and in the past 3 years I ve done bit climbing (Italian Alps)

the cost of a GPS , it has always been the limit for me...

this Xmas, could be the year!

I ve read that earlier version of Fenix 2 were not that accurate.. and I ve been looking at the 910 for quite some times
    But I really like the look of the Fenix and the fact that is more a Multi sport watch...

heeelppp!!! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

turniton wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I ve always been a sports enthusiast.. my true love is running (currently 50km a week) but i m a good swimmer... love also outdoor and in the past 3 years I ve done bit climbing (Italian Alps)

the cost of a GPS , it has always been the limit for me...

this Xmas, could be the year!

I ve read that earlier version of Fenix 2 were not that accurate.. and I ve been looking at the 910 for quite some times
    But I really like the look of the Fenix and the fact that is more a Multi sport watch...

heeelppp!!! thanks

I've had both. No problems with the metrics on the Fenix 2.

The biggest difference is that you can wear the F2 as your everyday watch too and it looks good. The 910 was a great piece of training and racing kit but ugly so just as well it wasn't a daily timepiece

They both do roughly the same stuff Swim, Bike, Run. The off road dept had a joint xmas party with the multisport dept and spawned the Fenix.

If you want pure running stuff the Fenix 3 has all of Garmins run dynamics included and the interface is a zillion time better than either 910 or F2. That said, teh F2 will come in useful for mountain climbing as its an ABC watch too

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

thanks shotgunmcos,
    very helpfull

The F3 is , unfortunately, well over my budget....
    at the moment I can see the F2 between €269 > €300 which is really the most I can spend.. unless in November, some major website (amazon & co) will do some amazing Xmas offer

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

turniton wrote:
    The F3 is , unfortunately, well over my budget.... at the moment I can see the F2 between €269 > €300 which is really the most I can spend.. unless in November, some major website (amazon & co) will do some amazing Xmas offer

FYI. There is 41% off the 910xt on the amazon UK and US sites. Works out at just over €210

thanks
    Price amazon.co.uk: £202.00 with the HRM (€270)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I'm long time 910xt user and while I started to have problems with it lately (on/off button isn't cooperating anymore, no way to fix it so I'm turning my Garmin on/off with power cable) I would suggest it for any kind of Tri-activity. I simply like the way it shows data, it's really comfortable and great for racing. If I understood you correctly you don't really race so you don't need to take closer look to those advantages + 910xt (at least I think) isn't the best option for climbing, but you'll be more than satisfied using it for running/cycling/swimming.

Also, if you need a watch mostly for running did you consider buying pure running watch? Something like Garmin FR220, I bought that one for my wife and must admit I really like it and occasionally use it for my runs (and since it's purple that says a lot). The only thing I prefer on 910xt vs this FR220 one is having 4 data on one screen comparing to 3 on FR220...

• Advertisement

thanks iAcesHigh,

even though I m doing lots running and bit more swimming, I m planning to do only half marathon races in 2016 and maybe a Duathlon (swim+run, Long Course Aquathon)

During the week end i looked at the 910 again, the 620 and 920.. great toys but I really hope in some amazing offer closer to Xmas.

which are the better sites to keep on eye?
    Argos, Currys, ???? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

I know it is above your budget. I got my fenix 3 here. 369euro.http://www.rosebikes.com/article/garmin-fenix-3-gps-multisport-watch/aid:800269

Carlosthejakal,

really nice watch... but no hope, unless i win some money!
    at the moment the budget is €220/250..

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Doubt Curry will make such a good offer IMO (might be wrong) so I would probably just check e-bay+amazon and do a google search for "Garmin 910xt sale Ireland" or something like that like 1-2 a week ;)

yep, I m very much checking every day prices on Amazon & co

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Don't forget some of the Irish shops, they can have good deals too.

Also the german sites, rose bikes, bike24 and 4debike.

hi guys again..

reading, after reading and more reading.. I got nowhere....
    I kinda narrow it down to

Garmin 920 (€380) and SUUNTO AMBIT3 RUN BLACK HR (around €260)

( i do understand Garmin prices are bit high at the moment... but hoping pre Xmas offer or even January sales)

please discuss. . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

hi guys again..

reading, after reading and more reading.. I got nowhere....
    I kinda narrow it down to

Garmin 920 (€380) and SUUNTO AMBIT3 RUN BLACK HR (around €260)

( i do understand Garmin prices are bit high at the moment... but hoping pre Xmas offer or even January sales)

please discuss. . . . . . .

920 for e380 seems a very good price.
    Sorry can link from me phone but sportsshoesunlimited have 910 xt tri bundle on offer at the moment for £200.00
    Includes the cadence sensor, HR strap and quick release

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

920 for that price is a steal!

Garmin won't offer sales, you may get a retailer with occasional offers to shift units, but generally prices are set to rise rather than fall for the next while :(

I'd buy that 920 that you have spotted.

Advertisement