Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/marty-moore-johnny-sexton-injury-update/322488

I hope this isnt playing with Jonny's well being.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"Leo Cullen has stated that Sexton passed his Head Injury Assessment (HIA) but the province’s medical staff weren’t happy for him to return to the field."

Er, what?

Would this not suggest that the HIA system is flawed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    There is literally nothing else McCloskey could have done to make a compelling case! He has torn teams apart all season, even the much vaunted Wolf Pack defence struggled with him.

McCloskey has made a compelling case to be included in the squad so that the coaches can see if he can fit into a match day squad. He has been included in the squad. What happens from there isn't visible to the rest of us so we can't really comment. If he does enough in training I trust Joe to select him. If Joe doesn't select him I trust Joe has good reason for it. And I won't be jumping down his throat or venting furious outrage over the decision either way. People might think that is because I've some sort of blinkers on when it comes to Joe. But at the end of the day I trust the guy for good reason. He's given me precious few reasons to doubt him or his ability and he has consistently delivered to a level no other coach on this island ever has. Until he does something totally off the wall and/or starts making a number of blunders I think that's only fair.

We've been successful and have developed more depth than ever before. And Joe himself will say we are a long way from being done. We are a work in progress. And so far I'm happy with how we've done there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

There is literally nothing else McCloskey could have done to make a compelling case! He has torn teams apart all season, even the much vaunted Wolf Pack defence struggled with him.

Yeah, he's been very good, but it's a zero sum game - it's not enough to play well, he has to play well enough to displace Henshaw, and Henshaw has been a standout at international level while McCloskey has been a standout at club level.

Yes, I know the response is going to be "how can he stand out at international level if he doesn't get a chance?", well that's just the way of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

molloyjh wrote: »
    I would say it was. They only had 1 other team that could potentially cause them problems (but never have done in the past) and 3 minnows. Although looking at it again SA probably did have an easier pool.

I've looked into it though and Australia were not second seeds. South Africa were. Australia were third. So the two teams who had it easiest were 1st and 2nd seed. So ultimately that proves the point. England seeded 5th which put them in tier 2. Had they seeded 4th ahead of France they wouldn't have ended up in the pool they were in. Seeding does matter but it is not the be all and end all.

You just need to be in the Top 8. It gets very messy though if teams like Wales don't make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    "Leo Cullen has stated that Sexton passed his Head Injury Assessment (HIA) but the province’s medical staff weren’t happy for him to return to the field."

Er, what?

I think it's probably more that the game was meaningless and he has the internationals coming round the corner which are very high intensity.

Er, what?

Not necessarily. Although I think its already known that it is to an extent.

The way I read this is that Joe gave specific instructions that if Jonny takes a knock he comes off. He wasn't to be risked in a nothing game. So he went off for the HIA, passed it and actually wasn't concussed. However under instruction from Ireland he stayed off. We don't know whether Leinster ever said he failed the HIA or whether that was just assumed do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I dunno. I think the Henshaw-Payne partnership is a bit predictable. Prior to the Scotland game we had scored what-four tries the entire tournament one of which was a penalty try. The partnership isn't very creative. I think McCloskey with Henshaw at 13 (and Payne at 15) adds to that creativity. Going with the same players as last years 6N means the opposition will know what to expect.

The way I read this is that Joe gave specific instructions that if Jonny takes a knock he comes off. He wasn't to be risked in a nothing game. So he went off for the HIA, passed it and actually wasn't concussed. However under instruction from Ireland he stayed off. We don't know whether Leinster ever said he failed the HIA or whether that was just assumed do we?

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/690952730525982721

Admittedly the twitter guy could just have got bad info, but the situation seems a bit weird.

Cullen is also saying he is following RTP protocols, which is surely odd if he wasn't concussed?

We don't know whether Leinster ever said he failed the HIA or whether that was just assumed do we?

Cullen and Leinster both previously said he failed the HIA actually, according to that article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Does it not just say that above?

Edit: All very confusing.

I acknowledge that it's possible that there could be an attempt to cover up where things are at with Jonny's health, but I think it's the less likely option.

I acknowledge that it's possible that there could be an attempt to cover up where things are at with Jonny's health, but I think it's the less likely option.

I would really doubt it's the case. I don't believe Leinster would do that, not only because of the potential repercussions on them as a club but also the potential affects on Sexton himself.

I just find the messaging a little odd. Perhaps they are just trying to avoid a big media spotlight on Sexton.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I dunno. I think the Henshaw-Payne partnership is a bit predictable. Prior to the Scotland game we had scored what-four tries the entire tournament one of which was a penalty try. The partnership isn't very creative. I think McCloskey with Henshaw at 13 (and Payne at 15) adds to that creativity. Going with the same players as last years 6N means the opposition will know what to expect.

I get that perspective. Although I would temper it somewhat by saying that they weren't at all familiar with one another or those around them for the 6Ns last year. They'd only ever played alongside each other once before the start of the tournament. Add to that the game plan we were going with and I'm not sure they could ever have been creative.

Does that mean that it is beyond them? Maybe it does, but I'm not sure we know yet. They've only played 7 games together in the centre. The five 6 Nations games have been the only run of games they've ever had together. Do we want to be writing them off that quickly?

Admittedly the twitter guy could just have got bad info, but the situation seems a bit weird.

Cullen is also saying he is following RTP protocols, which is surely odd if he wasn't concussed?

Yeah that is a bit odd so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭imacman

thebaz wrote: »
    whats the story on Sexton ?

My guess , he's out Sunday , but back week after (hopefully

He needs to retire soon for his own health and future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Bang to the head and they would automatically monitor a player through RTP?

The TV coverage seemed to suggest the switch was permanent because if the HIA too.

I get that perspective. Although I would temper it somewhat by saying that they weren't at all familiar with one another or those around them for the 6Ns last year. They'd only ever played alongside each other once before the start of the tournament. Add to that the game plan we were going with and I'm not sure they could ever have been creative.

Does that mean that it is beyond them? Maybe it does, but I'm not sure we know yet. They've only played 7 games together in the centre. The five 6 Nations games have been the only run of games they've ever had together. Do we want to be writing them off that quickly?
    This is what I don't understand. I get that McCloskey is young, exciting and tearing things up at Ulster, but the Sexton/Henshaw/Payne partnership has very few miles on the clock so far.

If it's not working, that's fine but you never get these partnerships firing first thing or even first season. Look how long it took Murray and Sexton to gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I get that perspective. Although I would temper it somewhat by saying that they weren't at all familiar with one another or those around them for the 6Ns last year. They'd only ever played alongside each other once before the start of the tournament.

But isn't that what "being in and around the camp" is for? And yes the tactics were partly the reason but I wonder were the tactics deployed that way because Schmidt didnt think they could be a creative force? The Scotland game of course is the anomaly but we had no other choice but to go for it in that game. Now for once we have a big bastard 12 who can run through people at pace and he can off-load. It means we should be able to vary our tactics that bit more and keep opposition guessing..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MJohnston wrote: »

Whatever happened, the management of the whole incident is farcical. He gets a knock to the head, on field treatment, after the game the official twitter account and Cullen himself said he failed the HIA. And now apparently he never had a head injury at all (tinfoil hat on) in the lead up to the 6 nations?
    “Originally he was due to come back on and they just erred on the side of precaution. We lost Kevin McLaughlin earlier this year to concussion basically but Johnny’s is not concussion, it’s a head knock so it’s slightly different.

So he got a head knock but a different type of head knock, but they were being cautious anyway as they're concerned about concussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Er, what?

The HIA is totally flawed, and World Rugby are gambling with player's long-term health by even permitting players back on the field. The GAA decided recently not to introduce a HIA/concussion bin, as there was zero medical evidence that it was safe to permit players to rejoin play after any level of head injury.

I'd take the views of Dr. Gary O'Driscoll into account also:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2013/0710/461694-odriscoll-calls-for-concussion-re-think/
    In an e-mail seen by RTÉ Sport, O’Driscoll contacted IRB CEO Brett Gosper - who became CEO after O’Driscoll had left the organisation - to repeat his call for the IRB to change their approach.

In that e-mail he wrote: "My views on suspected concussion in rugby are well known and documented within the IRB. They were the reason for my resignation. The five-minute assessment of a player who has demonstrated distinct signs of concussion for 60 to 90 seconds and usually longer, is totally discredited.

"There is no scientific, medical or rugby basis for the safety of this process. This experiment, which is employed by no other sport in the world, is returning the player to what is an extremely brutal arena
    O’Driscoll believes that the advice of the World Conference on Concussion in Sport, which has unanimously recommended that there should be no return to play on the same day of a suspected concussion, should be the template on which rugby bases its approach.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    But isn't that what "being in and around the camp" is for? And yes the tactics were partly the reason but I wonder were the tactics deployed that way because Schmidt didnt think they could be a creative force? The Scotland game of course is the anomaly but we had no other choice but to go for it in that game. Now for once we have a big bastard 12 who can run through people at pace and he can off-load. It means we should be able to vary our tactics that bit more and keep opposition guessing..

Well yes, but they had limited time even in camp together. Maybe they can't be a creative force. Again this is one of those things we simply can't see. Maybe Joe picked that game plan because of the centres, as you said. Or maybe he did it because Sexton was out for the first game and the 10-12-13 midfield was pretty green together. None of what I'm saying is an attempt to justify any one selection or another. I'm just simply saying we haven't seen enough of Henshaw-Payne to write them off. But while that is true that doesn't mean we should stick with them or that they are our best option either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭bilston

imacman wrote: »
    He needs to retire soon for his own health and future

It may feel that way, but ultimately none of us know what the story is. As long as he is getting the right medical advice (which he will be) then I don't think we can say whether he should or shouldn't retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Zzippy wrote: »
    The HIA is totally flawed, and World Rugby are gambling with player's long-term health by even permitting players back on the field. The GAA decided recently not to introduce a HIA/concussion bin, as there was zero medical evidence that it was safe to permit players to rejoin play after any level of head injury.

I'd take the views of Dr. Gary O'Driscoll into account also:
    O’Driscoll believes that the advice of the World Conference on Concussion in Sport, which has unanimously recommended that there should be no return to play on the same day of a suspected concussion, should be the template on which rugby bases its approach.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2013/0710/461694-odriscoll-calls-for-concussion-re-think/

I didn't know that's what GOD recommended, it makes sense though.

• Advertisement

point of correction, Barry O'Driscoll is the Doctor's name...

Some good (or terrifying) reading here on concussion protocols:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/concussion-tests-wont-fix-the-concussion-problem/

It does include some evidence for the idea that rest does absolutely nothing to help the problem:
    The results showed that athletes who resumed competition before they were entirely free of symptoms had lower rates of repeat concussion than those who sat out until they were symptom-free.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/concussion-tests-wont-fix-the-concussion-problem/

It does include some evidence for the idea that rest does absolutely nothing to help the problem:
    The results showed that athletes who resumed competition before they were entirely free of symptoms had lower rates of repeat concussion than those who sat out until they were symptom-free.

Zzippy wrote: »

I'd take the views of Dr. Barry O'Driscoll into account also:

That's quite an old article and as far as I know the protocols were improved drastically since then. AFAIR at that time it was a side of the pitch assessment rather than the full off-pitch assessment that happens now. Barry O'Driscoll resigned from the IRB 4 years ago.
    MJohnston wrote: »

That quote says that rest is effective. :confused:

The importance of being symptom free is maybe missed. Sexton might have had some symptoms but passed his HIA. On that basis, the medical people would have been right to advise that he not return to the game. Symptoms could be anything from a mild headache to nausea, dizziness or vision impairment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That's quite an old article and as far as I know the protocols were improved drastically since then. AFAIR at that time it was a side of the pitch assessment rather than the full off-pitch assessment that happens now. Barry O'Driscoll resigned from the IRB 4 years ago.

That quote says that rest is effective. :confused:

The importance of being symptom free is maybe missed. Sexton might have had some symptoms but passed his HIA. On that basis, the medical people would have been right to advise that he not return to the game. Symptoms could be anything from a mild headache to nausea, dizziness or vision impairment.

The HIA is a waste of time, there is no medical basis to it. They talked about it on that RTE documentary a few months ago. If you've taken a huge knock to the head and maybe been unconscious you'll probably fail it but concussion symptoms can present themselves differently in people and over different periods of time. You could pass the HIA and collapse 2 hours later. There was a GAA guy on Second Captains a while back talking about it and he said he took a knock but was fine and about 8 or 9 hours later at home he started crying and couldn't stop. He was told it was a concussion then when he went to the doctor.

There's also Second Impact Syndrome to worry about. That may be why with the likes of Sexton they take no chances.

The return to play protocols seem like a good thing, assuming they're followed and players are honest. If you're getting dizzy after 20 minutes exercise it should be obvious to whoever is monitoring you but if you're feeling a bit nauseous or have a bit of a headache you could probably hide it. The doctors on the documentary kind of implied that depending on the damage done it can't always be undone. So the more concussions you get the more damage is done.

The studies they're doing at Trinity (or maybe UCD?) into developing accurate tests for concussion are pretty interesting, if you're into that kind of thing. They're looking at developing a simple diabetes style finger prick test for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Just to set the cat out again I've just been wondering, maybe Joe will start Henshaw at 15 for a game instead of Payne? *disclaimer: lets not shoot it down cos RK will obvs start or whatever im just spitballing*

Reasons being:

- McCloskey and Payne have played together (to an extent) and will have some sort of existing relationship at Ulster
    - This also lets Payne play at 13 and as such can still be the defensive lynchpin
    - Henshaw is still a very good fullback
    - Gives a young good alternative to RK who could make the 15 shirt his own for the next decade
    - Given the young messiahs of Ringrose and Olding coming into the fray in the next year this setup allows for Payne to mentor Stu, then as Olding/Ringrose could come in as 13 with Stu carrying the defensive duties til they're up to speed.

Would be a more balanced use of resources maybe.

P.S: Would still love Payne to play 15 but I'm happy enough with him at 13 for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Just to set the cat out again I've just been wondering, maybe Joe will start Henshaw at 15 for a game instead of Payne? *disclaimer: lets not shoot it down cos RK will obvs start or whatever im just spitballing*

Reasons being:

- McCloskey and Payne have played together (to an extent) and will have some sort of existing relationship at Ulster
    - This also lets Payne play at 13 and as such can still be the defensive lynchpin
    - Gives a young good alternative to RK who could make the 15 shirt his own for the next decade
    - Given the young messiahs of Ringrose and Olding coming into the fray in the next year this setup allows for Payne to mentor Stu, then as Olding/Ringrose could come in as 13 with Stu carrying the defensive duties til they're up to speed.

P.S: Would still love Payne to play 15 but I'm happy enough with him at 13 for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I think a few of us have been looking looking at Sexton these last months and not liked what we've seen concussion-wise, and I've said before I think he's 1 bad hit away from retirement..... It seems apparent to most in here, just wondering why the powers that be didn't move heaven and earth to get Madigan to stay at home

Scythica wrote: »

Reasons being:

Is that you awec? :pac:

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    I think a few of us have been looking looking at Sexton these last months and not liked what we've seen concussion-wise, and I've said before I think he's 1 bad hit away from retirement..... It seems apparent to most in here, just wondering why the powers that be didn't move heaven and earth to get Madigan to stay at home

I agree with the first part.

For the second part, I think we probably should want to do better as a starting option for Leinster, I just don't rate Madigan high enough so I think we'll be better off long time developing or signing an alternative.

For the second part, I think we probably should want to do better as a starting option for Leinster, I just don't rate Madigan high enough so I think we'll be better off long time developing or signing an alternative.

I know some people disagree with me on this but the fact that Madigan wasn't first choice 10 when Sexton was in France says a lot. The first season he had near enough the same amount of games as Gopperth. The second season Gopperth was clearly first choice. Nothing in Madigan's game has changed drastically enough these past few months to make me think he'd be first choice if Sexton were to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just to touch on the point of bringing players in and some of them making the transition and some not.

Who haven't recently?

Henderson, Henshaw, McGrath, Moore have all stepped up fairly well.

I can't think off hand of anyone who has been brought in and were way off the mark.

Scythica wrote: »

Reasons being:

You see to be honest I'm not even sure McCloskey and Payne have played together in the midfield. Maybe Awec, McFeiling, Jaco, Utah Saint etc can help me out on that one. There was the Leicester game at Welford Rd last season where McCloskey started at 12, but I'm pretty sure Payne was at 15 that night.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just to touch on the point of bringing players in and some of them making the transition and some not.

Who haven't recently?

I can't think off hand of anyone who has been brought in and were way off the mark.

But maybe that's because Joe has a good handle on qho can and can't make the step up.

Also each one of those guys served their time. None of them went atraight into the team after getting forst called up to the squad. Whether I like it or not this just backs up why Molloy and FL etc are right. McCloskey won't be starting against Wales. Come the summer and SA things may be different.

But maybe that's because Joe has a good handle on qho can and can't make the step up.

Also each one of those guys served their time. None of them went atraight into the team after getting forst called up to the squad. Whether I like it or not this just backs up why Molloy and FL etc are right. McCloskey won't be starting against Wales. Come the summer and SA things may be different.

Did Payne go straight in?

• Advertisement

What's the story with Ross Byrne this season. He looked so natural at U20s level.

Did Payne go straight in?

Fair point, but then Payne is a little different in that he wasn't an inexperienced kid, had years of Super rugby experience on his CV as well as HEC rugby. There was also a glaring BOD sized hole that needed filling in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Was there any obligation on Leinster to give Sexton an HIA ?

Could he be undergoing the RTP protocols, despite not having failed a HIA, because he wasnt given one in the first place. Giving him, Leinster, and Ireland, more freedom from the protocol to decide when he next plays ?

mfceiling wrote: »

Who haven't recently?

There haven't really been any examples that I can think of. But again where does the credit lie there? With the players or the coaches? Obviously both have their role there. The players have to be good enough to get selected for the wider squads and then have to perform both in training and in matches. But the coaches have to identify the talent, how to use it and how to get the best out of them. It's what I was alluding to earlier. And another reason I trust the coaches to make the right calls over the next couple of months. Because they have used a good few young guys and the selections worked when they were made.

Was there any obligation on Leinster to give Sexton an HIA ?

Could he be undergoing the RTP protocols, despite not having failed a HIA, because he wasnt given one in the first place. Giving him, Leinster, and Ireland, more freedom from the protocol to decide when he next plays ?

He would have to do the HIA yes as he came off as a temporary replacement originally. Cullen said today specifically that he passed the HIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

What's the story with Ross Byrne this season. He looked so natural at U20s level.

Leinster have lost 2 games in the league this season. RB has played 20 minutes or more in 2 league games this season. Unfortunately, there is a correlation.

He started one game during the WC, it was away to Scarlets and it was (to be fair) a disaster. He was on for just over an hour, in which time we shipping four points and didn't look like scoring. He wasn't the only one out of sorts, but what concerned me was he seemed completely unable to get distance on his kicks. He just wasn't striking it well.

Marsh came on for 15 minutes and we scored 2 tries and could have had more.

Just watching a video the IRFU put up talking briefly to the new faces in the squad as they get their kit. Who the eff is Finlay Bealham?

Just watching a video the IRFU put up talking briefly to the new faces in the squad as they get their kit. Who the eff is Finlay Bealham?
    Prop from Connacht. Replacement for Moore. Could be... reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

He either broke or did ligaments in his ankle recently from what I've heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

He's a prop from Connacht. He was called in today in place of Marty Moore. He can cover both sides of the scrum. He was born in Australia but qualify for Ireland through his mother who is from up north, Belfast I think. He has represented Ireland at underage and on the emerging Ireland tour last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement