Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

PTH2009 wrote: »

Coach in dampen expectations shocker. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

I agree awec altho I do think there's potential for him at 12 as a 2nd playmaker not as a bosh merchant as he seemed to be mainly used as.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Scythica wrote: »
    I agree awec altho I do think there's potential for him at 12 as a 2nd playmaker not as a bosh merchant as he seemed to be mainly used as.

Yea I have no problem with him at 12, but he is a 13 mainly.

We need all these lads for some depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

PTH2009 wrote: »

At least spell what you are correctly!

Pessimist and proud!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote:
    Yea I have no problem with him at 12, but he is a 13 mainly.

Marshall has played the vast majority of his rugby at 12. Before this season he had only played 13 a couple of times and was a 12 who played 10 for the Ravens and AIL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I know a lad who was in school with Olding and apparently his favourite position is 10. Open to correction on that though.

So if he is indeed Madigan with a higher ceiling, I would love to see him get a proper run at 10.

Makes sense too with Ulster's riches in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I know a lad who was in school with Olding and apparently his favourite position is 10. Open to correction on that though.

So if he is indeed Madigan with a higher ceiling, I would love to see him get a proper run at 10.

Makes sense too with Ulster's riches in the centre.

I also know a lad who was in school with Olding who claims the same thing. Either the same person or it might actually be true!

His favourite position is indeed 10, but he is wasted at 10 for Ulster. We need a backup 10 who is happy to sit on the bench each week behind Jackson. Having either Olding or Jackson on the bench is a real waste of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

awec wrote: »
    His favourite position is indeed 10, but he is wasted at 10 for Ulster. We need a backup 10 who is happy to sit on the bench each week behind Jackson. Having either Olding or Jackson on the bench is a real waste of talent.

What if he was better than Jackson?

And in what position is he not going to be sitting on the bench?

What if he was better than Jackson?

And in what position is he not going to be sitting on the bench?

I think it's way more likely that he'd nail down 13 or 15 than 10.

I don't see him getting much game time at 10, certainly not a sustained run of games which we'd need to see what the craic really is with him there.

• Advertisement

True. But having a potential world class 10 develop in another position (where he faces even stiffer competition) is also a waste.

If Olding really wants to play 10 he could do worse than move to Munster. Would start there and still be playing at a fairly high level.

If Olding really wants to play 10 he could do worse than move to Munster. Would start there and still be playing at a fairly high level.

Ha.

Absolutely zero chance of this happening. Why on earth would Ulster let him go?

It would be a great stepping stone on his way to Northampton

Obviously he's going nowhere, he's going to be a top quality 13 if we're lucky

It would be a great stepping stone on his way to Northampton

Obviously he's going nowhere, he's going to be a top quality 13 if we're lucky

Hopefully he will develop at 10 or 15 (from the perspective of the national team, anyway).

Midfield is fairly well stocked, and neither Kearney nor Payne are long term options at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I dont think you need to beat around the bush here, Leinster will take him and develop him into the 10 Madigan couldnt be. We will give Ulster Tom Denton in return

I think it's way more likely that he'd nail down 13 or 15 than 10.

I don't see him getting much game time at 10, certainly not a sustained run of games which we'd need to see what the craic really is with him there.

I won't reopen the 13 debate but as of next season he won't be playing 15. Why not give him a lash at 10?

Hopefully he will develop at 10 or 15 (from the perspective of the national team, anyway).

Midfield is fairly well stocked, and neither Kearney nor Payne are long term options at 15.

Olding would be a really small international 15, I think he could be an outstanding centre that can play 12 or 13. If he got 2 or 3 seasons injury free I honestly think we'd see the Irish midfield/back division in general built around him

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Tox56 wrote: »
    Olding would be a really small international 15, I think he could be an outstanding centre that can play 12 or 13. If he got 2 or 3 seasons injury free I honestly think we'd see the Irish midfield/back division in general built around him

He's only 5ft9? Has he ever played SH, I wonder? :D

He's the same height as Halfpenny and Brown. Though I agree that his talents probably best suit midfield somewhere. However, I just feel 10 is the area that both Ulster and Ireland are most shallow right now, and you have a guy with such talent who loves playing there...

• Advertisement

He's the same height as Halfpenny and Brown. Though I agree that his talents probably best suit midfield somewhere. However, I just feel 10 is the area that both Ulster and Ireland are most shallow right now, and you have a guy with such talent who loves playing there...

According to Google Mike Brown is 6ft, same as Kearney. Halfpenny and Olding are about the same though.

Why on earth would Ulster let him go?

Because they don't physically own him. He can play wherever he wants. He may not *want* to play for Munster, but from a career point of view if he thinks it will take him several seasons to get to first choice in his preferred position then why wouldn't he consider a move if it achieves what he is looking for much sooner?

All I'm saying is, if he sees himself as a 10 and it's what he likes doing - there is plenty of demand for that.

According to Google Mike Brown is 6ft, same as Kearney. Halfpenny and Olding are about the same though.

Wikigoogling: Brown - 1.83 (6"), Olding - 1.80 (5"11), Halfpenny - 1.78 (5"10)

As near as makes no difference. All similar manifestations of shortarseness. :D

Halfpenny is a good point but he is the exception and Id be surprised if Olding actually was as big as Brown, and of the small international 15s I can think of (Halfpenny, Dulin) they seem to have more lightning fast top speed while Olding's strengths are more footwork and acceleration. I also dont think Olding is as tall as his stats say, although it is possible that my perception is skewed by that photo of Henshaw and Olding where they dont even look like the same species

758005.jpg

It is a relevant point though, with Ringrose and McCloskey coming through it is somewhat likely that one of Henshaw/Olding will have to move to fullback for Ireland, and at this point I would rather that be Henshaw

6ft's not that short.

For what it's worth Stuart Hogg is 5ft 11.

...my perception is skewed by that photo of Henshaw and Olding where they dont even look like the same species

758005.jpg

LOL :D:D:D

6ft's not that short.

For what it's worth Stuart Hogg is 5ft 11.

I dont think Olding is 5'11 at all though, Jackson for example is down as 5'10 and he looks at least an inch taller than Olding

ulster.jpg

My God, he's tiny!

2015-05-23_spo_9778123_I1.JPG

I dont think Olding is 5'11 at all though, Jackson for example is down as 5'10 and he looks at least an inch taller than Olding

The Ulster website lists Olding as 1.78m which Google says is 5.839895 feet.
    Jackson is listed as the same?

Someone's lying to us!

• Advertisement

OK, he's not Izzy Jaysusin Folau, I get it!

The Ulster website lists Olding as 1.78m which Google says is 5.839895 feet.
    Jackson is listed as the same?

Someone's lying to us!

5.8 feet isnt the same as 5 foot 8 inches, 1.78m is 5'10, but I dont think Olding is even that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

5.8 feet isnt the same as 5 foot 8 inches, 1.78m is 5'10, but I dont think Olding is even that

5.8 feet isn't a measurement i have seen anywhere ever....that would be mixing metric and decimalisation

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    5.8 feet isn't a measurement i have seen anywhere ever....that would be mixing metric and decimalisation

It's a metric someone might get if they were to use a calculator and forget to convert pack into proper units...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ha.

Absolutely zero chance of this happening. Why on earth would Ulster let him go?

You know it's not Ulster decision to make right?

Pink Fairy wrote: »

Pedantry alert: feet is not a metric unit.

As you were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Pedantry alert: feet is not a metric unit.

As you were.

Correct, imperial measurement I should have said....but, you've proved my point, tnx.

Not wanting to get back into the Heaslip v Stander thing but out of interest I see Stander is listed as a flanker on the Fantasy Rugger site. Is he actually a flanker who plays at #8, or is he a #8 who might be in the Irish squad with the intention of playing him as a flanker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Not wanting to get back into the Heaslip v Stander thing but out of interest I see Stander is listed as a flanker on the Fantasy Rugger site. Is he actually a flanker who plays at #8, or is he a #8 who might be in the Irish squad with the intention of playing him as a flanker?

Hes a no. 8 but he's well equipped to play blindside also, started off there with the bulls in super rugby and has played very well there for Munster too when he was needed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

During the rwc they had Henderson listed as a flanker when he was played pretty much exclusively used as local so I wouldn't put too much weight behind it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I've never seen anyone 6' being called a shortarse before!

I'm always dubious of rugby players stats online, both height and weight. I've met and chatted to several players at least 2 of whom I know for a fact are listed about 1 or 2" taller than they really are.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »

I'm always dubious of rugby players stats online, both height and weight. I've met and chatted to several players at least 2 of whom I know for a fact are listed about 1 or 2" taller than they really are.

Ah yeah they normalise all the stats for short or light players, no reason not to.

Well it's not huge like. Not by the standard set by the players <Thornley voice> built for the modern game </Thornley voice>.

Sidebar: Always used to chuckle at people talking about how great Michael Jordan was, despite only being 6"6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Sounds of this storm!!!! Not looking forward to the training session in aviva tomorrow!!!

Well it's not huge like. Not by the standard set by the players <Thornley voice> built for the modern game </Thornley voice>.

Sidebar: Always used to chuckle at people talking about how great Michael Jordan was, despite only being 6"6.

I remember someone talking about Paul O'Connell being a huge monster of a man and then saying BUT by modern standards he's actually quite small compared to other players in the same position :D

Rory Best is most definitely the right choice but my god are his interviews boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

stephen_n wrote: »
    Does McCloskey cover any other positions? Can't see him benching if Payne & Henshaw start.
    No.8..:D
    Buer wrote: »
    Marshall has played the vast majority of his rugby at 12. Before this season he had only played 13 a couple of times and was a 12 who played 10 for the Ravens and AIL.
    He was really shoehorned into 12 by Mclaughlin in order to have both him and Cave playing. He's a 13 just as much as a 12...if you get what I mean though he did play a lot at 10 in the AIl.

ulster.jpg

Yes but Jackson is actually standing on Paul Marshall's shoulders..

molloyjh wrote: »
    You know it's not Ulster decision to make right?

I know.

But there is still zero chance of it happening. Olding will get loads of game time for Ulster.

People of 6' are definitely shortarses. :D

I know.

But there is still zero chance of it happening. Olding will get loads of game time for Ulster.

He will - but consistently, in the same position, or in the big games? That's a different question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Rory Best is most definitely the right choice but my god are his interviews boring.

Have you ever been particularly excited by a captains interview? Players in the modern era are media trained to the Nth degree, it's only at times of great emotional upheaval (ROG all but retiring at the WC for example) that you get a glimpse of them, for the most part they just give stock answers and try not to put their foot in it.

There are probably a few examples of captains who are a little more loose with their tongue but in general they tow the party line.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement