Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Teferi wrote: »
    Have you ever been particularly excited by a captains interview? Players in the modern era are media trained to the Nth degree, it's only at times of great emotional upheaval (ROG all but retiring at the WC for example) that you get a glimpse of them, for the most part they just give stock answers and try not to put their foot in it.

There are probably a few examples of captains who are a little more loose with their tongue but in general they tow the party line.

Not a captain but The Honey Badger sets a pretty high standard for interviews.

Teferi wrote: »
    Have you ever been particularly excited by a captains interview? Players in the modern era are media trained to the Nth degree, it's only at times of great emotional upheaval (ROG all but retiring at the WC for example) that you get a glimpse of them, for the most part they just give stock answers and try not to put their foot in it.

There are probably a few examples of captains who are a little more loose with their tongue but in general they tow the party line.

Mike Brown for Ireland captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Not a captain but The Honey Badger sets a pretty high standard for interviews.

Haha! The Badge does give good interview, very entertaining but he probably doesn't face the kind of questioning a captain does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Mike Brown for Ireland captain

Ah yes, up there with this one...

We joke now about Olding's height, but down the line he is going to be in a 50:50 selection for a position with another player, and someone with an axe to grind will come out with "he is too short for international rugby" as opposed to just being too slow.

In anycase, there have been plenty of terrific gaelic footballers who weren't the tallest but didn't lose out under the high ball in a game where it's significantly more important so I wouldn't worry about Olding if he has the physical attributes to get into the right position and get enough height in the air.

Either way, it's exciting to hear Kiss talk about him this way, will be interesting to see how the rest of his season goes.

Surely being relatively short is an advantage as a center

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Surely being relatively short is an advantage as a center

Brian O'Driscoll was certainly not tall. He's down as a generous 5'10" on wikipeadia.

I don't really think height matters dramatically for backs. I mean a bigger frame has it's obvious advantages, but there is a balance between size and speed / agility so there are plenty of obvious varieties and variables.

Dave Kearney wouldn't be the biggest for example, yet he had 4 Wasps players trying to push him into touch, and he was able to withstand that pressure long enough to put an amazing offload out for Reddan to touch down a try.

techdiver wrote: »
    Brian O'Driscoll was certainly not tall. He's down as a generous 5'10" on wikipeadia.

I was just going to say. I happened to be coming through the airport once at the same time Leinster were coming home from somewhere and was walking past O'Driscoll and he didn't seem to have much height on me. I'm about 5ft8. He was with the wife too, who I knew was quite short so it was surprising to see with her heels on there wasn't much difference in them.

• Advertisement

I was just going to say. I happened to be coming through the airport once at the same time Leinster were coming home from somewhere and was walking past O'Driscoll and he didn't seem to have much height on me. I'm about 5ft8. He was with the wife too, who I knew was quite short so it was surprising to see with her heels on there wasn't much difference in them.

I have a photo with him in 2009. I'm 6' 1" and I looked like I towered over him.

techdiver wrote: »
    I have a photo with him in 2009. I'm 6' 1" and I looked like I towered over him.

It's weird though, he's never looked that small during games.

I know.

It's very hard to judge sometimes.

As some of my older GAA club men would have said over the years - "He toggs out a big man!" :D

In his early career he did, I thought around 2004 he looked a bit out of place at times as he physically hadn't quite developed into the athlete he became.

By 2007 he had gained a good bit of mass and it showed in terms of how he played the game, much more solid. By 2009 I thought he was at his very best, and I'd say he was at his best balance of pace, speed and power.

Certainly by his last six nations he was playing his smartest rugby, but was being physically outmatched at times and his lack of height probably saved him being able to tackle so low on much larger units.

But tall he isn't. Another player I was quite surprised by their lack of stature was Dom Ryan. Have met him a couple of times and compared to some of our other back rows he looks quite small. Same with Jordi Murphy but not quite as obvious as he is taller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

But tall he isn't. Another player I was quite surprised by their lack of stature was Dom Ryan. Have met him a couple of times and compared to some of our other back rows he looks quite small. Same with Jordi Murphy but not quite as obvious as he is taller.

Are you sure you're not mixing the two up?

I guess the point of all this is that it probably doesn't matter if Olding is a hobbit.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In his early career he did, I thought around 2004 he looked a bit out of place at times as he physically hadn't quite developed into the athlete he became.

By 2007 he had gained a good bit of mass and it showed in terms of how he played the game, much more solid. By 2009 I thought he was at his very best, and I'd say he was at his best balance of pace, speed and power.

Certainly by his last six nations he was playing his smartest rugby, but was being physically outmatched at times and his lack of height probably saved him being able to tackle so low on much larger units.

Dom Ryan is the tallest back row at Leinster. Same height as Heaslip.

Murphy, O'Brien and Ruddock are all shorter.

Though the stats could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time! :D

Are you sure you're not mixing the two up?

Ha!

You're right. Dominic Ryan is actually 5cm taller, Jordi is just heavier (and I'd argue more than what is listed on their stats page).

I'm the same height as Jordi but could have sworn Ryan wasn't any much taller.

Proves the point about perspective being unreliable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dom Ryan looks very big in person. Jordi Murphy however is quite small for a backrow

Ha!

You're right. Dominic Ryan is actually 5cm taller, Jordi is just heavier (and I'd argue more than what is listed on their stats page).

I'm the same height as Jordi but could have sworn Ryan wasn't any much taller.

Proves the point about perspective being unreliable!

Jordi isn't listed as heavier on the Leinster site anyway. Ryan is naturally a lot bigger than Murphy but I think he's had conditioning issues at times since that period where he was injured, he's starting to look like he's past it now.

Jordi isn't listed as heavier on the Leinster site anyway. Ryan is naturally a lot bigger than Murphy but I think he's had conditioning issues at times since that period where he was injured, he's starting to look like he's past it now.

Actually thought Ryan has been going well the last few games and is probably more on par with Murphy than he has been.

I met Ryan last March and honestly, he looked like a regular bloke that spends a bit of time in the gym. I was taken aback by how ordinary he looked when most rugby players (and especially forwards) are noticeably bigger than everybody else in the room. At least that was the impression I was left with.

Anyway, off topic for an Ireland thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

:(

I remember watching him playing a Vinny Murray game for Gonzaga and it doesn't seem that long ago. I know I'm getting on a bit but that's really hammering it home.

Thanks for that :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Past it! You've changed your tune from yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

bilston wrote: »
    Past it! You've changed your tune from yesterday!

Think by "past it", he means his conditioning issues are behind him and is in good shape again.

Think by "past it", he means his conditioning issues are behind him and is in good shape again.

tumblr_ncfq6g41ib1ru1wbho2_500.gif

IBF:

russell7.jpg

"Dom Ryan's folks, I have Dom Ryan's for sale. You will not find a better product than this anywhere else. Two for a pound, can't say bad to that can you?"

That's exactly what I meant but it was poorly worded

IBF:

russell7.jpg

"Dom Ryan's folks, I have Dom Ryan's for sale. You will not find a better product than this anywhere else. Two for a pound, can't say bad to that can you?"

That's exactly what I meant but it was poorly worded

Suuuuuuuuuure you did. :pac:

awec wrote: »
    Suuuuuuuuuure you did. :pac:

I'm looking forward to him proving you wrong next season ;)

Wait till we hear Ulster fans calling for Dippy for Ireland!

I'm looking forward to him proving you wrong next season ;)

Wait till we hear Ulster fans calling for Dippy for Ireland!

Certainly hope he does prove me wrong if this happens! I'll be the first to admit it and the first card carrying member of the Dom Ryan fan club. ;)

• Advertisement

Is it in any way interesting that Henshaw has been released to play at 13 for Connacht tomorrow?

Is it in any way interesting that Henshaw has been released to play at 13 for Connacht tomorrow?

By itself no, but in the context of neither Payne nor McCloskey being released then potentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Dom Ryan is the tallest back row at Leinster. Same height as Heaslip.

Murphy, O'Brien and Ruddock are all shorter.

Though the stats could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time! :D

Conan's huge. I'm 6'4" and I look up at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Interesting that he's been released to play, or interesting that he's named at 13?

I'd say most likely he just needs game time. A single run-out against Enisei isn't exactly great prep work for the Six Nations.

Interesting that he's been released to play, or interesting that he's named at 13?

I'd say most likely he just needs game time. A single run-out against Enisei isn't exactly great prep work for the Six Nations.

Both.

Payne has only played twice since the world cup and both at 15. And one of those games may as well have been a training session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well it suggests that possibly Payne doesn't need gametime at centre, as he's being considered for 15, or possibly that Henshaw is being considered for 13 but needs gametime, so a McCloskey/Henshaw midfield... then again it probably means sweet FA, as Henshaw and Aki interchange a lot when they play together.

Yea I am probably reading way too much into it.

I have decided I won't get frustrated no matter what the selection is next week! :D

Yea I am probably reading way too much into it.

I have decided I won't get frustrated no matter what the selection is next week! :D

Zzippy wrote: »
    Well it suggests that possibly Payne doesn't need gametime at centre, as he's being considered for 15, or possibly that Henshaw is being considered for 13 but needs gametime, so a McCloskey/Henshaw midfield... then again it probably means sweet FA, as Henshaw and Aki interchange a lot when they play together.

There's a few little signs that we might see Payne/Henshaw at 15. Schmidt's comments suggested it, Henshaw at 13 etc... I'd still rate it as maybe < 5% chance that Rob Kearney isn't starting there but wouldn't be the first time Joe has thrown a curve ball of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There's a few little signs that we might see Payne/Henshaw at 15. Schmidt's comments suggested it, Henshaw at 13 etc... I'd still rate it as maybe < 5% chance that Rob Kearney isn't starting there but wouldn't be the first time Joe has thrown a curve ball of course.

Yeah we never know with Joe, but his previous comments that we need to change and adapt our game to keep winning, plus how we weren't able to do so in the WC, suggest perhaps we might expand our game a bit more, so he might change things up a bit. Like you say though, RK being dropped is probably a very small possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

It would only be a curve ball because most people would consider Joe to be too conservative to make such an unenforced change.

It would only be a curve ball because most people would consider Joe to be too conservative to make such an unenforced change.

If by "most" people you mean people with an agenda, then I'd certainly agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

I hate to be the party pooper but anyone expecting Schmidt to bring in a new expansive running game may be disappointed.

Quote from this article
    “It’s funny, the game plan in the World Cup, I thought, served us really well and we still did get two tries against Argentina and I could show you a bit of footage that one good decision gives us another one at least,” said Schmidt. “That makes you competitive against a really good side.”
    “Are we that far away? We’ve beaten all the Southern Hemisphere sides in the last two years apart from the All Blacks. I don’t think we’re that far away and ironically we change our game plan a little bit week to week, so we don’t do the same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There's no way in hell we will chuck the game plan out the window. If the levels of execution are good enough it may well become more expansive. It will adapt as it always has from game to game. Anyone expecting a rip it up and start again approach would be nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well the fatalistic interpretation of the released players is that we will see

15. Kearney
    13. Payne
    12. McCloskey

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,868 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

fitzy injured in todays training :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

If by "most" people you mean people with an agenda, then I'd certainly agree with that.

Shoot me for wanting to play progressive rugby by getting our best, and most-exciting players on to the field at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Shoot me for wanting to play progressive rugby by getting our best, and most-exciting players on to the field at the same time.

No, shoot me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

play progressive rugby

Define progressive?

Henshaw's been released? That's a surprise.... I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement