Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Henshaw's been released? That's a surprise.... I think.

either he needs gametime badly or its McCloskey, Payne v wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

aimee1 wrote: »
    Define progressive?

Kind've like Leinster from 2010-2013

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Didn't think of it like that, he could still be in contention for the Wales game. Was just about to rush off and change my Fantasy Rugger team too :D

If Fitzgerald really has pulled out of training with an injury I wonder if Schmidt might ask Connacht to pull Henshaw from the Scarlets game?

If Fitzgerald really has pulled out of training with an injury I wonder if Schmidt might ask Connacht to pull Henshaw from the Scarlets game?

Depends on why he released him. If it was because he wanted him to get some game time before the 6 Nations probably not. If it was because he wasn't in contention for the match day 23, then maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

probably game time, he's only played 80 minutes since the Munster match at the end of November. That 80 minutes was in an 8 try demolition of Enisei so not really the best of preparations for a game against Wales

Depends on why he released him. If it was because he wanted him to get some game time before the 6 Nations probably not. If it was because he wasn't in contention for the match day 23, then maybe.

Doesn't really depend, if they saw Fitzgerald as contingency at 12 (IE McCloskey not considered ready) and they see Henshaw as the starting 12, it would be a big risk to play him and potentially end up down to their 3rd choice 12.

twitter post said Fitz left the field

Hard to know without much details in how he left.

Michael O'Donnell ‏@MOD_sportsmgmt 2h2 hours ago
    Worrying signs as @lukefitz11 leaves the @IrishRugby open session, here's hoping it's nothing too serious #ShoulderToShoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Didn't think of it like that, he could still be in contention for the Wales game. Was just about to rush off and change my Fantasy Rugger team too :D

I think everyone was expecting him to be released to get some more time under his belt before the 6 nations, or at least Connacht fans certainly were.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think everyone was expecting him to be released to get some more time under his belt before the 6 nations, or at least Connacht fans certainly were.

Yeah, I just saw "released" and thought cut. Had I taken a few more minutes I would have come to the same conclusion myself. He's played very little rugby all season, really. He missed the first few WC games and then has only had 3 or 4 games for Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Henshaw starting at 13 for Connacht do we dare to dream?

Doesn't really depend, if they saw Fitzgerald as contingency at 12 (IE McCloskey not considered ready) and they see Henshaw as the starting 12, it would be a big risk to play him and potentially end up down to their 3rd choice 12.

That's still a depends though, isn't it.

It depends on what their plan for him and Fitzgerald was.

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    Henshaw starting at 13 for Connacht do we dare to dream?

Dream what? He always plays 13 for Connacht, unless he's playing 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

the42.ie are spinning it as a big game for Connacht - home to Scarlets who are top of the league. Sky Sports is the broadcaster as well.

Dream what? He always plays 13 for Connacht, unless he's playing 15.

There was talk of players being released to "get game time in their Irish positions" or something along those lines so people are extrapolating that Robbie being picked at 13 might mean that's where Joe is looking at him.

There was mention in Joe of players being released to "get game time in their Irish positions" or something along those lines so people are extrapolating that Robbie being picked at 13 might mean that's where Joe is looking at him.

Ah, I see. Which could also point to McCloskey at 12. Dare we dream? :D

jm08 wrote: »
    the42.ie are spinning it as a big game for Connacht - home to Scarlets who are top of the league. Sky Sports is the broadcaster as well.

It's probably one of the most important games of the season for Connacht. It's do or die here really, a win and they're in with a good shot of the top 6 and playing in the champions cup next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's probably one of the most important games of the season for Connacht. It's do or die here really, a win and they're in with a good shot of the top 6 and playing in the champions cup next season.

Not to mention their victory in general is good for all the Irish provinces, getting Scarlets out of the top 4 will probably mean 3 Irish teams in the top 4 again.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Not to mention their victory in general is good for all the Irish provinces, getting Scarlets out of the top 4 will probably mean 3 Irish teams in the top 4 again.

unfortunately it'll take a couple of weeks to get Scarlets out of the top 4 they are 5 points ahead of Connacht, so unless Connacht absolutely trash then they will still be ahead of Connacht by the end of the weekend. Ulster and Munster are a further 3 points behind Connacht. If Edinburgh lose without a bonus point they'll fall out of the top 4 and all the Irish provinces win then the top 5 will be Leinster, Scarlets, Connacht, Munster and Ulster in that order assuming all Irish teams pick up non BP wins

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    unfortunately it'll take a couple of weeks to get Scarlets out of the top 4 they are 5 points ahead of Connacht, so unless Connacht absolutely trash then they will still be ahead of Connacht by the end of the weekend. Ulster and Munster are a further 3 points behind Connacht. If Edinburgh lose without a bonus point they'll fall out of the top 4 and all the Irish provinces win then the top 5 will be Leinster, Scarlets, Connacht, Munster and Ulster in that order assuming all Irish teams pick up non BP wins

Oh I know it's not likely to happen any time soon, but basically I think the point stands that all the provinces benefit a lot from Connacht winning this match, because we're all in a tustle with Scarlets.

twitter post said Fitz left the field

Hard to know without much details in how he left.

Michael O'Donnell ‏@MOD_sportsmgmt 2h2 hours ago
    Worrying signs as @lukefitz11 leaves the @IrishRugby open session, here's hoping it's nothing too serious #ShoulderToShoulder

Luke Fitz nips off to pinch a quick jobby and comes back to discover he's injured and out of the six nations.

#winnersdontpoop

Oh I know it's not likely to happen any time soon, but basically I think the point stands that all the provinces benefit a lot from Connacht winning this match, because we're all in a tustle with Scarlets.

Oh yeah definitely, there is also the fact that Scarlets have had a bad run of results lately, bar their last gasp win against us, so if we could add to that it might help knock them back a bit

Luke Fitz nips off to pinch a quick jobby and comes back to discover he's injured and out of the six nations.

#winnersdontpoop

I know we joke but he must be the most injury prone player ever involved with Ireland. There must be something he's not doing right, or he's just a very delicate flower.

I know we joke but he must be the most injury prone player ever involved with Ireland. There must be something he's not doing right, or he's just a very delicate flower.

Yeah he has been unfortunate. Either terrible coincidence or just one of those people who tend to break down more often. That said, all we have to go on is some randomer on twitter with no actual detail.

He could have a flu or a finger in the eye, or he could be injured and it's a couple of days soft tissue. Hope for the best.

That or my original suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Confirmation of what we always suspected. Even the pros get very excited about free gear.
    Apologies if posted before (probably many, many times)

• Advertisement

dub_skav wrote: »
    Confirmation of what we always suspected. Even the pros get very excited about free gear.

You get around 3 times more gear than you'll ever need. I think it's done intentionally so that you have plenty to give away / trade with other teams.

I'd love to see their faces if they showed up and were told "ah now, lads! Most of you got all this gear for the World Cup. You can't have gone through it all already. Go on now. Go home and root it out."

I'd love to see their faces if they showed up and were told "ah now, lads! Most of you got all this gear for the World Cup. You can't have gone through it all already. Go on now. Go home and root it out."

Can't remember whose book it was but not that long ago this was the case. It's certainly the case in other sports without the financial support the IRFU has.

I remember there was a big hoopla when Sonya O'Sullivan went to wear ASICS gear who sponsor the AAI (Athletics Ireland) in the Olympics when the Olympic Committee of Ireland who were sponsored by PUMA forced her to change in a tunnel leading to the track (with a fine big audience) right before she competed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not sure if whether Mike Mac is excited by the gear, or if he's recently joined this coffee club with Heaslip etc. He appears completely wired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

dub_skav wrote: »

Am I the only person who realises he is taking the piss in this video? I thought it was obvious, but then I see loads of twitter posts, messages etc exclaiming how excited he is getting as if that is his actual reaction to the getting the gear. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I saw that vid on their FB page the other day and I thought it was obvious he was playing it up. Could be a comedian that fellow, the overly aggressive shaking of the bag, "Christmas all over again", and "everything, everything...we've just got everything" made me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Noopti wrote: »
    Am I the only person who realises he is taking the piss in this video? I thought it was obvious, but then I see loads of twitter posts, messages etc exclaiming how excited he is getting as if that is his actual reaction to the getting the gear. :confused:

Well Sean Cronin tweeted he was clinically insane, so maybe he's like this all the time... :D

It's as if he had a bet to go through the bag as quickly as possible. The boot bag got the better of him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,956 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got an official padded jacket for 45 euro just after the world cup. It adds about 5 pounds to ur weight buts it so warm and good for this weather

Don't own an Irish jersey but have a few polo shirts. Can't stand those lidl/aldi jerseys

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Heard that in training today it was Jackson playing at 10.

Apparently it was Murray, Jackson, Kearney, Fitz, Payne, Trimble and Kearney.

awec wrote: »
    Heard that in training today it was Jackson playing at 10.

Apparently it was Murray, Jackson, Kearney, Fitz, Payne, Trimble and Kearney.

Could Sexton still be being rested after the head knock? I know they said it wasn't concussion but they might still be taking precautions.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Could Sexton still be being rested after the head knock? I know they said it wasn't concussion but they might still be taking precautions.

Well we've always heard that under Schmidt if players don't train they don't play.

That said, it was an open training session so might not really mean anything.

Well we've always heard that under Schmidt if players don't train they don't play.

The match isn't this weekend either.... is it?

If he's not training next week then it might mean something. Was he actually there, do you know?

Don't say that lets engage in wild speculation based solely on todays session :D

Based on this pick you could for instance speculate that Heaslip, Kearney, Sexton and Toner have all been dropped, or that they're the only ones who kept their places, and Zebo has been brought into the starting 15 :)

CZ5Jm_SWYAA2x5l.jpg:large

Don't say that lets engage in wild speculation based solely on todays session :D

Based on this pick you could for instance speculate that Heaslip, Kearney, Sexton and Toner have all been dropped, or that they're the only ones who kept their places, and Zebo has been brought into the starting 15 :)

Why dropped? Because they have bibs on?

• Advertisement

All the free gear they get and Zebo is wearing a pair of sports socks.

Why dropped? Because they have bibs on?

In general the group is split into two groups, bibs and no bibs. Given that the no bibs contains the captain and a large number of what would be considered guaranteed starters, O'Brien, Murray, Mc Grath etc, it would look like those with bibs on are not going to be in the starting 15.

Also I should note my post was very firmly tongue in cheek

In general the group is split into two groups, bibs and no bibs. Given that the no bibs contains the captain and a large number of what would be considered guaranteed starters, O'Brien, Murray, Mc Grath etc, it would look like those with bibs on are not going to be in the starting 15.

Also I should note my post was very firmly tongue in cheek

I know it was tongue in cheek. I was just wondering what the connection between the named players was. Bibs. Obviously.

Ah lads, bib theory more than a week out is a mugs game for sure.

I know it was tongue in cheek. I was just wondering what the connection between the named players was. Bibs. Obviously.

15 guys in red bibs?

13 in the navy tshirt. Maybe the curveball is JS is going to get them playing League :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah lads, bib theory more than a week out is a mugs game for sure.

It's a ploy to confuse Welsh spies and troll boards posters. Joe isn't sure which he gets more satisfaction from... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Is that Harrison Brewer and Josh Murphy on the left?

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's a ploy to troll boards posters

We will finally get Joe to come on boards for an AMA and he'll immediately get hit with a 3 week ban for trolling...

hype101 wrote: »

Brewer yes, think Ian Fitz-something is the other Leinster academy guy that was there today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

hype101 wrote: »
    Probably is. Academy players are regularly used to fill in as extra bodies on training weeks with irish team. All depends on where irish team are based for the week as to who is used

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement