Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Mods, are we doing a write up sticky for the Six Nations again?

Sure if you want. I'll stick one up later today

What's Tom James like on the wing? Never heard of him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

What's Tom James like on the wing? Never heard of him
    He's very quick and strong but a bit of a loose cannon discipline wise. Numpty head.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think Ruddock makes more sense at 6 given the way Joe likes to play. He wants his blindside to have a line-out presence and do a lot of dog work in tight. To me that negates Standers best attributes as he works better when he's carrying further out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Strong pack. Gonna be a tough day at the office for our lads I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mods, are we doing a write up sticky for the Six Nations again?

Yes, but your latest efforts have not impressed. We may have to interview applicants... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Is Sexton a serious doubt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Is Sexton a serious doubt?

He trained today so I would say he'll be OK.

As well as Ringrose, Jordi Murphy was also training.

At what point do the players know what 23 will be playing? A week before? The day before? How long will the 23 for example be actually practicing together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yes, but your latest efforts have not impressed. We may have to interview applicants... :p

Careful now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

At what point do the players know what 23 will be playing? A week before? The day before? How long will the 23 for example be actually practicing together?

Based on training etc I would say they have a pretty good idea. Luke Fitz seemed to be well aware he would be benching in this game had he not been injured. He said as much on Off The Ball and then sort of rowed back a bit to say something like "well, we don't really know until Thursday or Friday".

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am pretty sure the team are told on the Monday / Tuesday (depending on what day they have off) and they spend the week training for the position they'll play.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think there's that many positions where there'd be too much doubt about who is playing anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/complex-formula-predicts-ireland-most-likely-to-win-six-nations-from-england-on-points-difference-34420715.html

Indo article saying that we are most likely to win the 6n
    QBE Business Insurance today released its findings and predicts that Schmidt's Ireland and Eddie Jones' England will both finish top of the table with just one defeat each, with the Boys in Green expected to fall to a four-point defeat in Twickenham, while Dylan Hartley's side are to come a cropper on the final day in an agonising one-point defeat to France.

The QBE Rugby Predictor, which has an 83pc success rate and correctly predicted the outcome of 38 out of the 47 games during the Rugby World Cup, has produced results for all five rounds and expects Ireland to emerge victorious courtesy of a superior points differential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted to hear Ringrose has been called up in place of Luke, though we could do with him in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Harry FM

I think it's pretty clear Wales are going to target the breakdown with two 7s. I think we're going to struggle to counteract that with O'Mahony and Henry both injured.

I know I've been hoping we wouldn't do this, but I think our best chance of winning is by targeting Anscombe and James with the same kicking game we played last year.

I can only see Schmidt picking a pretty conservative side. The conditions are forecasted to be windy and cold so it will be a case of Murray and Sexton kicking the leather off the ball and testing the welsh back 3. Anscombe is no Halfpenny and it doesnt really make much sense for us not to do this. Ireland played that way 2 years ago and Wales couldn't handle it. Wales have picked a team to play an open game with Evans at loose head and Tipuric at 7. They will want the tempo fast and loose. Its who ever gets on top in the tight will win the game and I think Ireland have an edge here. The challenge for Ireland will be that Wales will expect us to play this way and will have prepared accordingly. The bookies have Ireland as 3 point favourites. I can see Wales beating that handicap somehow but fancy Ireland to eek out a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

eek out a win.

Vision of the lads crying in unison in a shrill voice, making a mockery of singing in the valleys, and shaming the Welsh into a loss.

But hopefully they eke out a win.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Delighted to hear Ringrose has been called up in place of Luke, though we could do with him in Leinster.

Don't think he has been called up in place of Fitzgerald. He's just training with the squad the same way Jordi Murphy is.

• Advertisement

Don't think he has been called up in place of Fitzgerald. He's just training with the squad the same way Jordi Murphy is.

... and he certainly won't miss any Leinster games.

I'm happy for Murphy that he's back in the fold, even peripherally. Must have been a serious blow not to be named only a short time after a good World Cup.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Vision of the lads crying in unison in a shrill voice, making a mockery of singing in the valleys, and shaming the Welsh into a loss.

But hopefully they eke out a win.

No I meant eek like the way you described it...:-)

In other news-SOB doubtful with a tight hamstring. Didnt train today. Marvellous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think Lydiate's best games have been against Ireland. IIRC he was hugely influential when they beat us in the world cup. Without him there I think we can make a lot of gains just going route one. I'd go for ball carriers and try to just bully them. Stander, O'Brien, Heaslip with Ruddock to come on at 60 for whoever is the most shagged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

SOB sat out training with a tight hamstring but is apparently "not a major concern for the match"

:(

If SOB is ruled out who will he got with? Got to have one genuine 7 on the park? TOD presumably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cometh the hour...

?width=630&version=2471740

• Advertisement

If SOB is ruled out who will he got with? Got to have one genuine 7 on the park? TOD presumably?

If SOB is out I think were in trouble personally. Sexton and SOB need to be vying it out for MOTM for this to go our way.

I'd say TOD in at 7 though for sure if SOB out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

If SOB is out we are in big trouble and I'm not sure TOD would be able to make much of that up. I would not be totally shocked to see Stander, Ruddock and Heaslip all start if that is the case with either VdF or TOD on the bench. My thinking is that TOD is not going to be able to compete on the ground as well as SOB was (and would find it very tough against Warburton), so change the approach and go for power. Who needs a 'real 7' anyway!

If SOB is out we are in big trouble and I'm not sure TOD would be able to make much of that up. I would not be totally shocked to see Stander, Ruddock and Heaslip all start if that is the case with either VdF or TOD on the bench. My thinking is that TOD is not going to be able to compete on the ground as well as SOB was (and would find it very tough against Warburton), so change the approach and go for power. Who needs a 'real 7' anyway!

England in the World Cup.

Well we will be going up against two "real 7's" in Warburton and Tipuric so we will need one at least.

Zzippy wrote: »
    SOB sat out training with a tight hamstring but is apparently "not a major concern for the match"

Might go some way to explaining Murphy's presence today.

If he was ruled out, I'd expect Stander, Ruddock and Heaslip to start with TOD on the bench.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't fancy our chances with no 7s against two 7s.

The last time we played Wales without a real 7 Tipuric ate us alive.

We'll just have to keep the ball alive. No breakdowns -> no jackal opportunities.

Baa Baas stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Well we will be going up against two "real 7's" in Warburton and Tipuric so we will need one at least.

True, but this real 7 also needs to be good enough, and I don't think TOD is good enough at the stuff a 'real 7' typically does at top level rugby. So get your best players on the pitch.

We'll just have to keep the ball alive. No breakdowns -> no jackal opportunities.

Baa Baas stuff

awec wrote: »
    Wouldn't fancy our chances with no 7s against two 7s.

The last time we played Wales without a real 7 Tipuric ate us alive.

Whatever about TOD's chances-Schmidt is very unlikely to throw VDF in against two wily campaigners like Warburton and Tipuric. Be amazed if he picks Murphy ahead of either of those two mind you. He's been dreadful since the world cup.

Henry would play ahead of Murphy or VdF.

TOD too.

Henry would play ahead of Murphy or VdF.

TOD too.

... if he wasn't injured.

... if he wasn't injured.

When did that happen?

Probably shouldn't be taking January holidays in future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

When did that happen?

Probably shouldn't be taking January holidays in future!

Henry hasn't been selected for the squad. If he's fit by round 3 then he can be called up, but for now he's definitely out for the Wales and France games.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,871 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I dunno lads, i see that wales team and im not too overly worried, i think they have had better teams in the recent past (or should i say better players to play the way gatland likes).

high pressure games like these can turn on single brain fart or nervous moments, and i think in Anscombe they have a player that could be found wanting in these moments. Im happier to see anscombe there than williams.
    While wales back row looks strong, its also perhaps our strongest area, and both reserves are strong too... so whether its stander starting with ruddock benching, or ruddock starting (which i think is more likely). I think that welsh 2nd and back row selection calls for Maccer to start and empty the tank on 55 doing feck all but tackling and rucking, and have Donnacha ryan coming in foaming.

Half backs are strong on both sides but we need jonny to be on top form.

James has a point to prove on the wing but i hope he spends the day catching balls over his shoulder.

i dont want to make a call on it until we see our selection, but that welsh team is has areas of weakness

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,871 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I dunno lads, i see that wales team and im not too overly worried, i think they have had better teams in the recent past (or should i say better players to play the way gatland likes).

high pressure games like these can turn on single brain fart or nervous moments, and i think in Anscombe they have a player that could be found wanting in these moments. Im happier to see anscombe there than williams.
    While wales back row looks strong, its also perhaps our strongest area, and both reserves are strong too... so whether its stander starting with ruddock benching, or ruddock starting (which i think is more likely). I think that welsh 2nd and back row selection calls for Maccer to start and empty the tank on 55 doing feck all but tackling and rucking, and have Donnacha ryan coming in foaming.

Half backs are strong on both sides but we need jonny to be on top form.

James has a point to prove on the wing but i hope he spends the day catching balls over his shoulder.

i dont want to make a call on it until we see our selection, but that welsh team is has areas of weakness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Just looking at the balance of players in the squad covering different areas of the back line. So its as follows

Players that can cover fullback
    Rob Kearney, Dave kearney, Zebo, Madigan, Payne, Henshaw. (6)

Players that can cover centre
    Madigan, Ringrose, Marshall, Earls, Henshaw, Payne, McCloskey. (7)

Players that can cover wing
    Earls, Dave Kearney, Zebo, Trimble (4)

Credit to ringrose but the team needs an out and out winger like gilroy called up and not another centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Just looking at the balance of players in the squad covering different areas of the back line. So its as follows

Credit to ringrose but the team needs an out and out winger like gilroy called up and not another centre

He hasn't been called up. I don't think anyone will be called up unless we ship a few more injuries in the first two weeks.

Rob kearney can also cover wing. He's played there for Leinster-albeit not for a couple of seasons
    He hasn't been called up. I don't think anyone will be called up unless we ship a few more injuries in the first two weeks.

He was in the training photos from today?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Rob kearney can also cover wing. He's played there for Leinster-albeit not for a couple of seasons

Yeah but not part of the official squad.

And doesn't Ringrose sometimes play for Leinster on the wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ringrose has a couple starts on the wing this year for Leinster.

Is four wingers not enough? What's the point of calling up more?

McFadden would be next in line but see above, he's not needed.

Lads from the Leinster academy and fringe players are often called up to hold tackle bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

awec wrote: »
    Lads from the Leinster academy and fringe players are often called up to hold tackle bags.
    They do a bit more than hold tackle bags. If that's all that is needed, the office staff would suffice. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement