Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

If you didn't want to break up the midfield partnership it would make sense.

If that's what he's decided so be it.
    Zebo has probably the most experience at playing full back of any of the other options this season and that experience includes international experience from the RWC.

And we're back to the classic conservative selection again. I don't care if he has the most experience, I don't accept for a moment having him in there gives us the strongest backline we can field.

The other question is; if Kearney is out injured and Zebo isn't picked, then why was Zebo in the squad to begin with?

Good question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't understand the problem with Zebo at 15. Last times he's played there for Ireland he's looked very good. He's not Kearney but it looks like he's unavailable. Seems he's a natural replacement for Kearney despite probably not being quite as good at anything bar his attacking play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

The other question is; if Kearney is out injured and Zebo isn't picked, then why was Zebo in the squad to begin with?

To keep Toulouse from sniffing about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd have reservations about Tommy O'Donnell coming up against Warburton and Tipuric as well. Bit of a disaster that Henry is injured at the moment.

• Advertisement

I don't understand the problem with Zebo at 15. Last times he's played there for Ireland he's looked very good. He's not Kearney but it looks like he's unavailable. Seems he's a natural replacement for Kearney despite probably not being quite as good at anything bar his attacking play.

Against Italy? Don't think he was "very good", and his form has been a bit all over the place this year for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Ah but Payne is leagues ahead of Zebo. Henshaw probably is too. we also now have an option at 12 who (from all evidence available to us) seems to be the business. Zebo is good cover in an emergency and given the small squad size for the WC it made some sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If we're going to use primarily a kicking game to suffocate Wales and go after the back three then Zebo is your man rather than Payne.

With a fully fit squad to choose from SoB is still our most important player. In an injury hit side without O'Brien we're at praying to God status.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Harry FM

Zebo, Earls, Payne, Henshaw, Trimble, Sexton, Murray, McGrath, Best, White, Toner, McCarthy, Stander, O'Donnell, Heaslip.

Very conservative team....
    Welsh will have a field day with earls and Zebo defence

How do we know this is the team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I know it's been said by others but this whole "conservative selection" thing being thrown around is ridiculous. It really is just a term used by people who want all their favourites in the team.

Wholesale changes to teams have been a hallmark of France for the last 4 or 5 years, and of England when at their worst in the mid to late 2000s. Neither of these are examples to model ourselves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I know it's been said by others but this whole "conservative selection" thing being thrown around is ridiculous. It really is just a term used by people who want all their favourites in the team.

Wholesale changes to teams have been a hallmark of France for the last 4 or 5 years, and of England when at their worst in the mid to late 2000s. Neither of these are examples to model ourselves on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

It's funny how this forum has gone from "Why no Zebo?" to "Why Zebo?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Jackson on the bench for Ulster. Go Mads, go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jackson on the bench for Ulster tomorrow night. Madigan benches then.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

bilston wrote: »
    Jackson on the bench for Ulster tomorrow night. Madigan benches then.

Is McC released also?

I understand Madigan offers better positional cover but with Sexton in his current state not picking Paddy Jackson on the bench is, to me, 100% a mistake.

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Ah but Payne is leagues ahead of Zebo. Henshaw probably is too. we also now have an option at 12 who (from all evidence available to us) seems to be the business. Zebo is good cover in an emergency and given the small squad size for the WC it made some sense.

Payne will be starting at 13, which is much more important.

andymx11 wrote: »
    Is McC released also?

No. Herring and Jackson the only Ireland squad members released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Zebo, Earls, Payne, Henshaw, Trimble, Sexton, Murray, McGrath, Best, White, Toner, McCarthy, Stander, O'Donnell, Heaslip.

Very conservative team....
    Welsh will have a field day with earls and Zebo defence

Both Earls and Zebo would be significantly stronger defenders that the Kearney brothers they are replacing. Earls' defence is actually very strong anyway.

McCloskey must be spitting to be ignored. Jackson would be very unlucky to be behind Sexton too, but Sexton has plenty of the credit in the bank.

McCarthy is a worry as he can barely last 50 minutes at provincial level. We only have the one accomplished (Toner due to his height) lineout forward in that pack.

• Advertisement

At least it means Sexton is fit.

He was improving game on game over the last few months so hopefully the progression will continue.

Both Earls and Kearney would be significantly stronger defenders that the Kearney brothers they are replacing. Earls' defence is actually very strong anyway.

McCloskey must be spitting to be ignored. Jackson would be very unlucky to be behind Sexton too, but Sexton has plenty of the credit in the bank.

McCarthy is a worry as he can barely last 50 minutes at provincial level. We only have the one accomplished (Toner due to his height) lineout forward in that pack.

Fair play to Kearney on being a better defender than himself. Some achievement.

Schrödinger's Kearney

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The team hasn't been announced has it?

Both Earls and Kearney would be significantly stronger defenders that the Kearney brothers they are replacing. Earls' defence is actually very strong anyway.

There's a third Kearney?

Stheno wrote: »

No, tomorrow. Another poster claims to know the team so that is what is being discussed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Stheno wrote: »

The only thing we know for sure is Jackson is in the Ulster squad this weekend so Madigan on the bench seems a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    .ak. And that basically was his reasoning.

Well I see he said that after the post you quoted. Had he said it before it? Honest question.....

No, tomorrow. Another poster claims to know the team so that is what is being discussed.
    I'd be very surprised if the team was settled already given the 'slight' doubts on RK's and SOB's fitness.

There's no training today and the next session is tomorrow, I would have thought that no decision would be made until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

There's a third Kearney?

Yeah, Simon zKearney.

Changing his name was the only way of getting in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

John Hayzebo? :)

Jackson playing for Ulster at the weekend. Farcical yet comprehensively unsurprising selection from Joe tbh.

Repeating the mistakes that helped cost us the RWC quarter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Tommy O'Donnell. Jesus wept.

Jackson playing for Ulster at the weekend. Farcical yet comprehensively unsurprising selection from Joe tbh.

Repeating the mistakes that helped cost us the RWC quarter?

Which mistakes are you referring to here? :confused:

On the "conservative selection" issue.... looking at the squads the other countries have selected, bar France, has anyone selected a surprising or exciting team? Most of us could have named the England, Wales and Scotland squads before they were announced.

Which mistakes are you referring to here? :confused:

Ignoring Jackson for Madigan.

"Helped cost us" is overly harsh, but it was definitely contributory.

Hopefully the Journos fields questions about Jackson's exclusion. The best 10 on the island this season by a considerable margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

so its Mads on the bench then...

All the better for Ulster...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Is there not a chance that this rumored "two different starting XVs" for the first two games is going ahead, and Jackson's been released to play at the weekend to keep him ticking over?

Both Earls and Zebo would be significantly stronger defenders that the Kearney brothers they are replacing. Earls' defence is actually very strong anyway.

Red > Blue

FYP

Is there not a chance that this rumored "two different starting XVs" for the first two games is going ahead, and Jackson's been released to play at the weekend to keep him ticking over?

It would make more sense than picking Madigan over him.

Hopefully the Journos fields questions about Jackson's exclusion. The best 10 on the island this season by a considerable margin.

How so? :confused:

It seems like some people's reasoning behind that loss changes as often as the weather.

FWIW, I'd have Jackson on the bench, given that he's a far better 10 than Madigan, and is also now in far better form than him, but I'm absolutely bemused (though patently unsurprised) by your assertion above regarding the WC. Revisionist at best.

• Advertisement

So instead of 'repeating the mistakes that cost us'

It's actually, 'continuing with a mistake that was contributory to the eventual outcome'

I'd pick Jackson over Madigan every day of the week but unless we're extremely unlucky and Sexton picks up an injury very early on we're pretty much looking at his replacement getting between 10-20 minutes at the end, depending on how tight the score is. I'm disappointed it's not Jackson but it's not like Schmidt has picked Madigan to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I just hope for one thing: That Sexton has suddenly become a chop tackle maestro. I really do fear for him this championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

No Jackson in the 23 is a bizarre choice to be honest if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

leakyboots wrote: »
    No Jackson in the 23 is a bizarre choice to be honest if that's the case.

There's no question it's the case.

It's now two years since Jackson was last ahead of Madigan in the pecking order.

People can't seriously claim that this was unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I've always thought if Sexton was injured, Jackson would start, if not Madigan would bench. It's that oul flexibility argument striking again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Farcical yet comprehensively unsurprising selection from Joe tbh.

lol.

I would love to see the team you would field including comprehensive details on why you picked those players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

There's a third Kearney?

Mick Kearney. He wasnt even there but he is guilty by surname ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

on a slightly unrelated note, does anyone know how Paul OConnell's recovery from his hamstring injury is going?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement