Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Stheno wrote: »
    It was a genuine question :) I only remember you dislike Clancy/lacey

Outside of his love for Nigel Owens, awec hates all refs

What ref would you not have complained about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Lac ... err :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Stheno wrote:
    By the time the team is announced tomorrow we'll all have hit acceptance

Oh Stheno.

You're going to learn so much in the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Oh Stheno.

You're going to learn so much in the next week.

The next phase is the brief glorious "everyone is excited" phase.

But then it is always followed by the horrendous "I hope we win but I hope the people I don't like play badly" match day phase.

And the finally the "here are some post match thoughts I wrote before the game" phase.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

But then it is always followed by the horrendous "I hope we win but I hope the people I don't like play badly" match day phase.

And the finally the "here are some post match thoughts I wrote before the game" phase.

Eh are you not missing the during the match phase?

The match is irrelevant. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Im always there so I assume the boards are absolutely divine

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Barnes. Pollock.

I love most referees, there's just a few that regularly get on my wick. Unfortunately that few seem to follow my teams around like a really bad smell.

Oh man.

This is the most accurate post of the last week.

Dave Kearney could emerge to the field on Sunday, charge into the Welsh with the combined power of a thousand BOD's, consume them in a flurry of tries whilst single handedly hitting every single ruck, winning 4 line outs and filling in for the scrum while Heaslip fixes his hair and someone would still point out that he is slow for international rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

awec wrote: »
    So the ref on Sunday is Garces.

*bites tongue*

Gatland said something earlier about the ref on Sunday influencing his team selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Oh man.

Dave Kearney could emerge to the field on Sunday, charge into the Welsh with the combined power of a thousand BOD's, consume them in a flurry of tries whilst single handedly hitting every single ruck, winning 4 line outs and filling in for the scrum while Heaslip fixes his hair and someone would still point out that he is slow for international rugby.

This'll never happen....

Cos Stander will be starting instead of Heaslip :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Im always there

La de ****in dah.

I'm always in the pub. Except for when we won the championships in Paris and Scorland :D

Oh man.

Well if he cant convert his own tries he shouldnt be in the 23 :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

aimee1 wrote: »
    Well if he cant convert his own tries he shouldnt be in the 23 :eek:

And he'd be craps in the lineout too

Gatland said something earlier about the ref on Sunday influencing his team selection.

I have a reputation for being tough on referees, and so do all Ulster fans it seems. I feel obligated to point out that I and the rest of us are a fair, forgiving bunch who are not easily riled. I do not get angry at referees without due cause, and minor discretions are immediately forgiven.

We (and I) like all of them, except for the ones that have really screwed us over. At this point the scale tips. We never forget and we never forgive. :D

awec wrote: »
    Barnes. Pollock.

I love most referees, there's just a few that regularly get on my wick. Unfortunately that few seem to follow my teams around like a really bad smell.

bookmarked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

I find it strange how people seem to be overly pessimistic before a match/tournament, but will still be giving out if we lose any games.

bookmarked :pac:
    The list is not permanent! Barnes and Pollock are currently favourable.

As I said I love most referees. I didn't say I always like the same ones though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

It's now two years since Jackson was last ahead of Madigan in the pecking order.

People can't seriously claim that this was unexpected.
    I would claim that's unexpected!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Yes, but not seriously.

Yes, but not seriously.
    Yes seriously. While I'm all for change, I call a halt at mental

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Paddy Jackson on the bench for Ulster tomorrow night. Criminal that he isn't involved in the match day 23. Has been showning good form for Ulster, certainly more than both Sexton or Madigan.

This exemplifies the weakness of Schmidt as a coach, his reluctance to pick players other than those he knows from his Leinster days.

We should be bringing the likes of Jackson into the match squads and getting minutes on the pitch. Instead we will be stuck with Leinster plus some tokens from the other provinces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

slingerz wrote: »
    Paddy Jackson on the bench for Ulster tomorrow night. Criminal that he isn't involved in the match day 23. Has been showning good form for Ulster, certainly more than both Sexton or Madigan.

This exemplifies the weakness of Schmidt as a coach, his reluctance to pick players other than those he knows from his Leinster days.

We should be bringing the likes of Jackson into the match squads and getting minutes on the pitch. Instead we will be stuck with Leinster plus some tokens from the other provinces
    Amazing insight. So glad you took the time to share it with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yep - Jackson has been in great form for Ulster IMO - very surprised at this turn of events.

I think Paddy is likely to get a decent run over the course of the six nations. I don't think he is playing better than Sexton, I've watched more of Sexton but still a fair bit of Jackson and I still think even off form that Sexton is still ahead by a margin.

I also think Sexton is not as "off form" as those wanting alternatives want him to be. He was imperious against Ospreys, no other 10 has gotten anywhere near that level of performance this season.

Also, suggesting that Joe in someway favors Leinster is pretty unfair to the guy, especially at this stage of his tenure. He's delivered a lot with his selections.

Do you honestly think he has some bias loyalty to Leinster? He'll be coaching Ireland for longer pretty soon.

Strangely there are those of us who agree with this 'insight' as you call it. Others would call it common sense based on a rational analysis of player performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think Paddy is likely to get a decent run over the course of the six nations. I don't think he is playing better than Sexton, I've watched more of Sexton but still a fair bit of Jackson and I still think even off form that Sexton is still ahead by a margin.

I also think Sexton is not as "off form" as those wanting alternatives want him to be. He was imperious against Ospreys, no other 10 has gotten anywhere near that level of performance this season.

Also, suggesting that Joe in someway favors Leinster is pretty unfair to the guy, especially at this stage of his tenure. He's delivered a lot with his selections.

Do you honestly think he has some bias loyalty to Leinster? He'll be coaching Ireland for longer pretty soon.

Sexton has been improving his form at Leinster, and is certainly our best 10. I was expecting Jackson to bench on Sunday. And it makes no sense for Schmidt to favour Leinster players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

While I don't agree at all with Madigan over Jackson, Madigan is more versatile and is a better goalkicker. There's two reasons for you other than what bloody province he's from.

• Advertisement

Strangely there are those of us who agree with this 'insight' as you call it. Others would call it common sense based on a rational analysis of player performance.

munster captain
    ulster captain

Ireland could have a backline with 1 [sexton] player starting on sunday if the rumours about RK are true, yet there is still a leinster bias nonsense thrown around. With a further 4 or so Leinster players in the pack.

That bias knows no bounds.

Did I not say it was amazing?

It's so refreshing to see such blue sky thinking. It's taken me completely by surprise. Why has nobody seen this before? How could it be that such bias has gone unnoticed through two six nations wins and so few losses?

We are in the presence of genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Did I not say it was amazing?

It's so refreshing to see such blue sky thinking. It's taken me completely by surprise. Why has nobody seen this before? How could it be that such bias has gone unnoticed through two six nations wins and so few losses?

We are in the presence of genius.

Mod: This is not constructive. Please familiarise yourself with the zero tolerance sticky. Benefit of the doubt this time that you haven't seen it, but no more of this rubbish.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Sexton has been improving his form at Leinster, and is certainly our best 10. I was expecting Jackson to bench on Sunday. And it makes no sense for Schmidt to favour Leinster players.
    Sexton has been simply appalling. So he is improving to reach moderate, nothing more than moderate. Its back to Joe picking the known rather the unknown. Jackson is way ahead of sexton under current form, McCloskey is simply outstanding as is stander. But it doesn't matter. It simply DOES NOT MATTER. We can discuss it to the nth degree. Joe goes with experience. Always has, always will. While earls, zebo and Murray signed of recent times for Munster I think that this will be a final jesture to the international team. Young exciting players will simply leave as they have no future with Ireland.

Sexton has been simply appalling. So he is improving to reach moderate, nothing more than moderate.

thats simply not true. He was excellent in his last full game, and was quite good in several games before that. He was poor away to Toulon with some terrible execution. He hasnt been at his best but he has not been "appalling" either

Sexton has been simply appalling. So he is improving to reach moderate, nothing more than moderate. Its back to Joe picking the known rather the unknown. Jackson is way ahead of sexton under current form, McCloskey is simply outstanding as is stander. But it doesn't matter. It simply DOES NOT MATTER. We can discuss it to the nth degree. Joe goes with experience. Always has, always will. While earls, zebo and Murray signed of recent times for Munster I think that this will be a final jesture to the international team. Young exciting players will simply leave as they have no future with Ireland.
    Nonsense. He completely schooled Dan Biggar in every facet of the game in the match against Ospreys.

Absolutely and comprehensively. There was no doubt who was the better ten and Biggar has recently been touted as a Lions starter. Jackson has never reached that level.

• Advertisement

Sexton at his worst this season has been worse than Jackson at his worst but at his best he's been better than Jackson at his best. To be fair though, I don't think anyone is genuinely suggesting that Jackson, or Madigan for that matter, should be contesting the 10 shirt with Sexton. If they are they need their heads checked.

Sexton at his worst this season has been worse than Jackson at his worst but at his best he's been better than Jackson at his best. To be fair though, I don't think anyone is genuinely suggesting that Jackson, or Madigan for that matter, should be contesting the 10 shirt with Sexton. If they are they need their heads checked.

Rumsfeldian! :pac:

Agreed.

ON the kicking front Jackson was pretty solid this season though no? Didn't he land a monster kick in a recent game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Agreed.

ON the kicking front Jackson was pretty solid this season though no? Didn't he land a monster kick in a recent game?

Yeah, Oyonnax away.

Jackson's technical kicking ability is fine. It's his consistency that is his downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

At least Sexton is a known unknown. It's the unknown unknowns we need to worry about... ;)

• Advertisement

I'm simply trying to say that Jackson has been at a consistently good level all season. Sexton has been up and down but even so there's no chance anyone starts at 10 over him unless he's injured.

Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

The thread is now moving into the surreal. Not only should Jackson have made the bench, he should have started ahead of a fit Sexton?

Paddy Jackson is becoming the Wes Hoolihan of Irish Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Some people say building a wall between Mexico and the US and getting Mexico to pay for it is common sense. Just saying.....

I don't think anyone is genuinely suggesting that Jackson, or Madigan for that matter, should be contesting the 10 shirt with Sexton.
    Sexton has been simply appalling. So he is improving to reach moderate, nothing more than moderate. Its back to Joe picking the known rather the unknown. Jackson is way ahead of sexton under current form

I'm not sure if the above are wind-up's or opinion but there is two examples for ya!

For what it's worth, of the Irish players Ian Keatley has actually scored the most times from the boot so far this season, 32. Statistically Ian Madigan is the most successful with 100% accuracy but he's only had 10 kicks.

Sexton and Jackson must be below 80% because they're not in the top 5 and #5 is on 80.95% Biggar isn't there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You're not discussing anything though. You're making wholesale absolute statements and declaring them as fact without actually backing them up with anything. You are then ignoring what anyone else has to say on the matter and just repeating yourself ad nauseam. I hate to break it to you, but that isn't discussion.

I'm simply trying to say that Jackson has been at a consistently good level all season. Sexton has been up and down but even so there's no chance anyone starts at 10 over him unless he's injured.

Simples.

Variance is the term you're looking for.

Jackson's got lower variance in his performance ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Gethin Jenkins is on the bench as garces has pinged him before about not scrummaging properly...boring in and up.

I'm going to go against the grain a bit here. We should win this game. We're back to back 6N champions. We're at home. Brilliant coach. Best, Toner and Heaslip will form the spine of the pack. Murray and Sexton are settled and should dictate the game. Stander will be bulling to get on and cause mayhem. Remember we did a lovely number on them at the last home game.

HON IRELAND!!

While I don't agree at all with Madigan over Jackson, Madigan is more versatile and is a better goalkicker. There's two reasons for you other than what bloody province he's from.
    I understand why you might need a versatile player at province level. I don't understand why you might need a versatile player at international level unless we have poor players in certain positions that need such cover. If such is the case should we not simply replace them with in-form players rather than requiring a 'versatile' player who in my opinion is ordinary in all named positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I understand why you might need a versatile player at province level. I don't understand why you might need a versatile player at international level unless we have poor players in certain positions that need such cover. If such is the case should we not simply replace them with in-form players rather than requiring a 'versatile' player who in my opinion is ordinary in all named positions.

Actually, this is dead right. We just need to name 15 substitutes. Why has no one thought of this before?!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement