Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mite be the cider talking but I'm feeling a bit optimistic about Irish rugby going into the future. Ringrose, stander, olding and the decline of French rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Last but not least. How is the entire forum not completely splooging over Heaslip. Where else could he have been? What more could he have done. Jesus what a performance, every time I thought we were in trouble, Heaslip showed up.

Good full, post, but the above deserves an edit especially. Really titanic game from Heaslip. We would not have scraped the draw had he even been slightly below the top drawer game he had. Show Pony days are well and truly distant history for him now. Less flash than some of his other great games - but this one was possibly his finest yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

minutes 30 - 80 Wales 16 Ireland 3
    we were lucky wales took time to get going and our defense was good.
    Also does heaslip carry more than 1 metre at a time, thought Toby outplayed him like usual today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Also does heaslip carry more than 1 metre at a time, thought Toby outplayed him like usual today.

well you clearly didnt watch the game then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Considering Heaslip made 43m of 15 carries it's safe to assume that yes he does
    But hey don't let facts get in your way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Was that the best Irish backrower performance in years today from Stander? He has the speed of a back with the power and size of a forward. Quite good handling too.

If by years you mean since 2015 then possibly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I don't think we'll see too many changes. We've heard from coaches that it's better to build momentum with the team. I'd like to see Ryan come in but I'm not even sure we'll see that. I'd guess we'll see

McGrath, Best, White, McCarthy, Toner, Stander, SOB, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Kearney, Henshaw, Payne, Trimble, Kearney

And that's a damn fine team. Weak in the tight five again but the addition of SOB to that back row is mouth watering.

That's how I see it going also. I wonder if Ross might be snuck in?

I was very impressed by Furlong's cameo. I'd be tempted to start him next week.

That aside SOB to come in for the excellent TOD who really doesn't deserve to be dropped and if fit I guess Kearney comes in at FB, although unlike a few on here I thought Zebo was overall pretty good with two or three poor moments.

Other than that (maybe Earls notwithstanding) same again for Paris.

to beat france all we have to do is get parity at scrum, thats it.
    france are a poor outfit, and there is plenty of evidence.

• Advertisement

to beat france all we have to do is get parity at scrum, thats it.
    france are a poor outfit, and there is plenty of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Frankly I dont think any of the other teams back rows are as strong as ours or wales.

Thinking back, every other ruck (maybe more) had one of McG, Best, White, Stander, TOD, Heaslip or even a back trying to compete and at very least making a nuisance of themselves. Only some ferocious counter rucking from Wales stopped the turnovers.

There is no way I can see any of the other teams living with that pressure; I hate to admit it but I'm very optimistic going into next week, hoping SOB is back and plays like he did last time against the French.. no punching though!

I still think Payne to 15, but I can see why he's a 13 and I can live with it.

For me,

SOB in TOD bench,
    maybe change Ryan and McCarthy (I dont know about about Dillane?).
    I'm guessing DK in for Earls,
    Trimble still in to try and subdue Vakatawa

McCloskey or LM to 12 and Henshaw to 15 (pie in the sky but I really think it could be onto something.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

White was all right. I'd think Furlong might be slightly better though. When is Ross due back?

And will Jackson be left out again??????

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

vienne86 wrote: »
    White was all right. I'd think Furlong might be slightly better though. When is Ross due back?

With Earls out and Fitz out our most versitile backs are gone, unfortunately can't see anything but Madigan benching for cover at 22. Zebo to 23?

just heard on Radio just now says Healy and Ross could be called up

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Notfrontrow

I don't think we'll see too many changes. We've heard from coaches that it's better to build momentum with the team. I'd like to see Ryan come in but I'm not even sure we'll see that. I'd guess we'll see

McGrath, Best, White, McCarthy, Toner, Stander, SOB, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Kearney, Henshaw, Payne, Trimble, Kearney

And that's a damn fine team. Weak in the tight five again but the addition of SOB to that back row is mouth watering.

Generally agree with that team. I suspect that Zebo may start on the wing instead of Dave Kearney, and I have heard that Ross may well be back as the starting TH. Furlong did very well when he came on and if Ross starts I think he may still retain his place on the bench. TOD or Rhys on the bench assuming SOB is back??

• Advertisement

aimee1 wrote: »
    just heard on Radio just now says Healy and Ross could be called up

Jack McGrath played the 80 minutes yesterday, so perhaps he will bench in Paris. I think he is better than Healy though. I would expect Ross to start if available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

McGrath will definitely start. Ross hasn't played in nearly two months so I'd say he'll get a run with Leinster on Friday.

McGrath will definitely start. Ross hasn't played in nearly two months so I'd say he'll get a run with Leinster on Friday.

True, though he has shown himself in the past to be someone who is almost instantaneously up to to speed when he come back after injury.....OK, 'speed' it probably not the right word to apply to Ross, but you know what I mean.

True, though he has shown himself in the past to be someone who is almost instantaneously up to to speed when he come back after injury.....OK, 'speed' it probably not the right word to apply to Ross, but you know what I mean.

ok he wasnt injured a year ago but he hardly played through January IIRC but started all 5 games in the 6n.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I doubt any of Jackson, McCloskey or Marshall will see any game time this 6N unless there are injuries...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Mite be the cider talking but I'm feeling a bit optimistic about Irish rugby going into the future. Ringrose, stander, olding and the decline of French rugby

vpu801.gif~c200

anchorman-yes-jumping.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

This is the kind of lazy rubbish that's trotted out time after time without any reference to the facts.

Stander is rightly being lauded for his 23 carries for 38 metres. In 15 carries, Heaslip made 43 metres.

Toby Faletau made 15 carries as well. Guess what? He only made 22 metres. So if you're looking for someone who only makes 1 metre at a time...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Considering Heaslip made 43m of 15 carries it's safe to assume that yes he does
    But hey don't let facts get in your way

Heaslip carried for 43m to Faletaus 22m (both running the ball 15 times) so Jamie was almost twice as good as him there. Bizarre post really.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I doubt any of Jackson, McCloskey or Marshall will see any game time this 6N unless there are injuries...

If Earls is out this weekend then Luke Marshall may make the bench based on the fact he was the spare back yesterday.

Jackson may have to travel to Paris after Sexton's knock but hopwfully he is ok.

McCloskey will need an injury to have any involvement, but even then I have a feeling Schmidt would go to Marshall first.

Edit - If R.Kearney is back then Zebo will be on the bench in the absence of Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I'm hoping that if the english game goes reasonably well then maybe some guys will be rested before Scotland. We'll have to see how their form goes in the next few games.

It could be seen as an opportunity to explore other options without throwing away a win/championship. Not wholesale changes mind but maybe include McCloskey to see if there's a good alternative to Henshaw and maybe see how Dilanne does.

Thought our backrow and centres both did really well vs Wales' all-stars there yesterday.

My Henshaw love is getting ridiculous. He works so hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Jaysus if Rob Kearney isn't fit and Earls is out we're going to be seriously stuck for back three players. Might see McFadden brought into camp this week.

Jaysus if Rob Kearney isn't fit and Earls is out we're going to be seriously stuck for back three players. Might see McFadden brought into camp this week.

Id like to see Gilroy get a call but Joe just doesn't seem to like/trust him. Could be many years before he see's action with Ire again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I gotta say dropping Henshaw to 15 and inserting one of Ulster's natural 12s in there would be the most natural solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Am I being conspiracy theorist here again in thinking Sexton looked seriously f#*ked & disorientated coming off the pitch once again.

Earls is being diagnosed as concussed almost immediately yet Johnny only took a "KNOCK" ?

The poor fecker is after taking more "KNOCKS" than boscos box!

• Advertisement

I gotta say dropping Henshaw to 15 and inserting one of Ulster's natural 12s in there would be the most natural solution.
    It's probably the best option if Kearney doesn't make it, but for the future you'd really hope to see McCloskey and Henshaw settle there (assuming McCloskey makes the step up).

But short term, since Payne is the most experienced and plays his club rugby with McCloskey it makes sense to pair them up if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I'd like to see Payne at FB. All the games he's had back with Ulster post injury were at full back so it seems like a no brainer than playing him in a position that he last played 4 months ago.

Am I being conspiracy theorist here again in thinking Sexton looked seriously f#*ked & disorientated coming off the pitch once again.

Earls is being diagnosed as concussed almost immediately yet Johnny only took a "KNOCK" ?

No, he looked in pain. A lot of pain.

He managed to kick a penalty before going off, so if that's disorientation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think he looked in pain rather than disoriented. Hopefully it wasn't a concussion.

I don't think he was disorientated at all, he was just in pain. If he was he did a great job knocking over that penalty!

In saying that where I THINK he got injured it did look like he got a bang on the back of his head/neck area, yet it is his chest that he has hurt. It didn't look like the worst collision ever and it sounds like he will be fine dor next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

His shoulders were extremely tight looking coming off, and I don't think he was clutching his chest, seemed like the jersey around his neck was bothering him and he was pulling it down to get some relief. He barely reached out to slap hands with Madigan too.

Something i think is going to influence team selection going forward is that, aside from winning, I think last year and yesterday showed us thar we're going to need to rack up a big points difference to win this thing. Maybe there will be thoughts that we cant afford to experiment in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

bilston wrote: »
    If by years you mean since 2015 then possibly

The ball protection at rucks by the backrow was amazing. Clearing past the ball and not really letting that very good Welsh back row disrupt us.

Heaslip was really outstanding. In an era of brilliant no. 8's with Read, Parisse, Picamoles etc he is on their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Looks like both Healy and Ross will be in contention for next week with hopefully SOB and Kearney as well. I would expect Ryan to start in the second row too. We could see as many as five changes for next week with Ross, Ryan, SOB and Dave and Rob Kearney all starting.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    His shoulders were extremely tight looking coming off, and I don't think he was clutching his chest, seemed like the jersey around his neck was bothering him and he was pulling it down to get some relief. He barely reached out to slap hands with Madigan too.
    Looks like his left shoulder high up that's being treated. I think he's holding onto his jersey to take the weight off the shoulder. Kind of like a sling.

INPHO_01015630.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

It's probably the best option if Kearney doesn't make it, but for the future you'd really hope to see McCloskey and Henshaw settle there (assuming McCloskey makes the step up).

But short term, since Payne is the most experienced and plays his club rugby with McCloskey it makes sense to pair them up if needed.

It's also possible that if Ringrose emerges the way we hope he will then Henshaw at 15 might be the way to keep our best 15 on the pitch.

Although by then Bundee Aki could be knocking around too so who knows.
    Going to be interesting all the same.

The ball protection at rucks by the backrow was amazing. Clearing past the ball and not really letting that very good Welsh back row disrupt us.

Heaslip was really outstanding. In an era of brilliant no. 8's with Read, Parisse, Picamoles etc he is on their level.

I mentioned yesterday just how classy Heaslip is. He doesn't do the flash rampaging runs but thats not needed when you have SOB, CJ, POM & Hendo in the team. he just does everything to an incredibly high level. Is he made of diamond 'cause the guy takes serious punishment and never seems to get hurt!!??

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    It's also possible that if Ringrose emerges the way we hope he will then Henshaw at 15 might be the way to keep our best 15 on the pitch.

Ringrose can play wing as well. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets his first cap there.

I mentioned yesterday just how classy Heaslip is. He doesn't do the flash rampaging runs but thats not needed when you have SOB, CJ, POM & Hendo in the team. he just does everything to an incredibly high level. Is he made of diamond 'cause the guy takes serious punishment and never seems to get hurt!!??
    I remember reading about how he does his pre-season and what he does before each match. Apparently he spends his pre-season sleeping in an altitude tent to improve his training and spends 30 minutes before the warm up doing pilates stretches and exercises. He swears by it as an injury prevention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Three cracked vertebrae, fit less than a month later.

(touch wood it continues)

• Advertisement

Mr Tickle wrote: »

our centre options in 2 years time are crazy

Ulster: Olding, McCloskey, Cave, Marshall, Payne, Stockdale
    Munster: Arnold, Scannell?
    Leinster: Reid, Ringrose
    Connacht: Henshaw, Aki

Apologies if i've missed anyone......

Looks like his left shoulder high up that's being treated. I think he's holding onto his jersey to take the weight off the shoulder. Kind of like a sling.

Very likely it was that actually - RTE had a very close up and clear shot of him coming off and he was doing that the whole way. Ironically until Best came over and slapped him on the back!

our centre options in 2 years time are crazy

Ulster: Olding, McCloskey, Cave, Marshall, Payne, Stockdale
    Munster: Arnold, Scannell?
    Leinster: Reid, Ringrose
    Connacht: Henshaw, Aki

Apologies if i've missed anyone......

It was quite innovative of Ulster Rugby to transform their Academy into a Centres Only Academy.

Bold I'd say!

How much has Rory Scholes played at full back? I don't think I've ever seen it, but Ulster list it as one of his positions

It was quite innovative of Ulster Rugby to transform their Academy into a Centres Only Academy.

Bold I'd say!

We're trying to innovate by having 15 centre's on the pitch. You've heard it here first. Next the All Blacks will be copying it....:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement