Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

molloyjh wrote: »
    But sure so is Heaslip then. He's lying still for almost as long.

Not sure if serious?

Heaslip is lying still because he's presenting the ball back. Earls is out for the count.

As soon as the ball moves away, Heaslip gets up. Earls very much does not, because if he's not unconscious, he's not far off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think that's unquestionably him getting knocked out, and it's pretty scary tbh - you can see him go to clutch his face and then his body just collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

He seems to glance off Furlong's back. Its very unusual alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Well there you have it. The video evidence shows it clearly. His immediate reaction is one of pain and he bring his hand to his face. Anyone arguing that he was out cold must be saying it happened after that initial reaction. Which is complete guesswork and pretty farfetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He's completely motionless for six or seven seconds.

He's on the ground and not moving for a few seconds. That does not mean he is out cold. This is exactly the kind of alarmist thing we need to get away from. You simply cannot know whether Earls is conscious there or not. It is impossible for you to know. Maybe he is, but then maybe he isn't. There is literally nothing definitive about that video other than the fact that Earls went into contact, hurt himself and went to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Hagz wrote: »
    Well there you have it. The video evidence shows it clearly. His immediate reaction is one of pain and he bring his hand to his face. Anyone arguing that he was out cold must be saying it happened after that initial reaction. Which is complete guesswork and pretty farfetched.

Glad you aren't a doctor.

That's just him repositioning as the ball was dropped and he intended to go for it before it was picked up. I wouldn't worry about that.

He put's his hand on his face and then blacks out. No noticble hit to his head. I'd say it's more to do with the position his neck was forced into and casued a lack of blood to his brain.

Not sure if serious?

Heaslip is lying still because he's presenting the ball back. Earls is out for the count.

As soon as the ball moves away, Heaslip gets up. Earls very much does not, because if he's not unconscious, he's not far off it.

Very much not serious. Heaslip lies completely still for almost as long as Earls does. By the definition of "visibly and unmistakably out cold" we're seeing here then it follows that Heaslip was also out cold. Which we all know simply wasn't the case.

My point is that from our position we can guess as to whether Earls was unconscious or not. But that's all we're doing. And second guessing trained, skilled and professional doctors and medics is just a little bit ridiculous. Especially if the whole extent of our examination of the patient is a gif and a youtube video.

Very much not serious. Heaslip lies completely still for almost as long as Earls does. By the definition of "visibly and unmistakably out cold" we're seeing here then it follows that Heaslip was also out cold. Which we all know simply wasn't the case.

My point is that from our position we can guess as to whether Earls was unconscious or not. But that's all we're doing. And second guessing trained, skilled and professional doctors and medics is just a little bit ridiculous. Especially if the whole extent of our examination of the patient is a gif and a youtube video.

What has this got to do with doctors or medics though? They (through Joe) clearly stated he was concussed. Nobody is second guessing that.

Glad you aren't a doctor.

That's just him repositioning as the ball was dropped and he intended to go for it before it was picked up. I wouldn't worry about that.

He put's his hand on his face and then blacks out. No noticble hit to his head. I'd say it's more to do with the position his neck was forced into and casued a lack of blood to his brain.

So what I've said is that there is no definitive evidence that he was out cold and that the video evidence suggest he wasn't. You on the other hand are purporting that he lost consciousness after bringing his hand to his face because the positioning of his neck restricted the blood flow to his brain.

And you're glad I'm not a doctor?!

MJohnston wrote: »
    What has this got to do with doctors or medics though? They (through Joe) clearly stated he was concussed. Nobody is second guessing that.

Concussed does not mean unconscious. Unconscious does not mean concussed.

• Advertisement

Concussed does not mean unconscious. Unconscious does not mean concussed.

That's not relevant though, you said people were second guessing the medics, who have not said anything about whether he was knocked out or not. They only said he was concussed. How are we second guessing them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Doesn't really matter if he was unconscious or not.

He was taken off for a head injury and Schmidt said after it looked like he has a concussion. That's what they're dealing with whether he was passed out or not.

You can get knocked out and not necessarily have a concussion. You can have a concussion without being knocked out.

Doesn't really matter if he was unconscious or not.

He was taken off for a head injury and Schmidt said after it looked like he has a concussion. That's what they're dealing with whether he was passed out or not.

You can get knocked out and not necessarily have a concussion. You can have a concussion without being knocked out.

So what I've said is that there is no definitive evidence that he was out cold and that the video evidence suggest he wasn't. You on the other hand are purporting that he lost consciousness after bringing his hand to his face because the positioning of his neck restricted the blood flow to his brain.

And you're glad I'm not a doctor?!

Sorry my mistake I had meant to quote another poster in there who was worried about him being unstable on his feet before going to the ruck.

Yes, he didn't bang his head. You don't need to to loss consciousness - blood from your heart travels through your neck to your brain an interruption in that flow in a high intensity environment like that could fore him to black out.

This isn't hard stuff we're talking about here and it's entirely possible, based on what I can see it looks the most likely scenario.

That's not relevant though, you said people were second guessing the medics, who have not said anything about whether he was knocked out or not. They only said he was concussed. How are we second guessing them?

About the severity of the injury. People are saying "oh look he was clearly knocked out so its a really bad concussion and he shouldn't play for the next few weeks". There are a few problems with that entire line of thinking:
    1. There is absolutely no clear evidence Earls was knocked out.
    2. Whether he was knocked out or not gives no clear indication as to the seriousness of the concussion.
    3. Just because he is undergoing the HIA doesn't even mean he was concussed. And I never heard anyone confirm that he was (Joe post match said he looks like he was).
    4. The medics and doctors are best placed to decide when Earls is fit to return to play, not a load of armchair pundits, the vast majoriy of whom have no medical training whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

McFadden is the best winger available. He was always going to be called up.

And of course, he has that ability which defines all rugby players, versatility.

He's also got a pretty decent strike rate

phog wrote: »
    From Twitter

I hope they're not rushing Earls back.
    Not sure how they can say that. If he's following the back to play protocols the most he would have done today is 20 minutes on a bike/treadmill and they'd probably still be monitoring him.
    The most they could say with any certainty is he had no immediate reaction to activity today.
    Surely they cannot name Earls in the team? Best case scenario, he can only pass the return to play protocol the morning of the match.
    What worried me about Earls is that he went completely out cold and it's hard to see where the impact came from. I watched it back last night and just couldn't figure how it happened.

As others have said, I hope he isn't rushed back, but at the same time I do have faith in the medical team to put his well being first.
    About the severity of the injury. People are saying "oh look he was clearly knocked out so its a really bad concussion and he shouldn't play for the next few weeks".

But the only people who said that were you and Hagz!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ah lads, he clearly drops like a dead weight with no movement for about 5 seconds.

if someone drops in pain at a minium his feet would squirm a bit... but they dont... they also remain motionless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Did Joe in a post match interview not say that Earls was concussed?

• Advertisement

Whether he was knocked out or not gives no clear indication as to the seriousness of the concussion.

Nobody said this either, what Venjur said was he was worried about Earls seeming to be knocked out without any specific impact, which CAN BE a sign of serious concussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think the exact words were 'looks like concussion' (open to correction).

My initial reaction when it happened (and I didn't take my eyes off Earls while play went on) was that he was knocked out, but then his feet moved after a few seconds... so I'm not sure.

Not that I'm even remotely resembling an expert anyway, I trust the medical staff to make the correct call in all of this

Just watched it

He said:

"he probably suffered a concussion. again at this stage i don't know the full story. I think he passed his HIA, but he may have staggered. Therefore he would have been considered o have had a concussive impact and that would certainly put him in doubt for next weekend."

4:28 into the post match press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Just watched it

He said:

"he probably suffered a concussion. again at this stage i don't know the full story. I think he passed his HIA, but he may have staggered. Therefore he would have been considered o have had a concussive impact and that would certainly put him in doubt for next weekend."

4:28 into the post match press conference.

Does this mean that they saw a stagger on the pitch or is it part of the assessment? I'm not familiar with the test.

fyi this isn't me desperately defending my comment on him looking unsteady on his feet. It probably was him considering going for the ball.

POM was Ireland's best player in 2015. He is our next captain and is one of the first names down on the teamsheet. It will be interesting to see how Joe manages the backrow with every one fit, though.

I think its going to be a tug-of-war between Stander and Heaslip for the 8 jersey, with the younger guy eventually winning out.

I don't think this is as definitive as you state. He could be stuck behind Stander, Heaslip and SOB injury permitting for a few years until Heaslip gets over the hill.

What I'm saying, and I won't speak on behalf of Molloy, is that there is a definite alarmist atmosphere surrounding the incident. First initially as people were very quick to declare that he was knocked out even though the video evidence shows no clear evidence that he was.

Secondly when news emerged that he might be fit and clear to play, there was definite questioning of such a report.

Yes Earls was diagnosed with having suffered a concussive impact, but it's not a black and white situation. He didn't go for a scan and receive results. The medics erred on the side of caution based on the fact that he staggered. They have to apply a certain amount of guesswork, and in this particular instance the call was made purely on feeling. Evidence suggests he wasn't knocked out after a minor impact, and he passed the HIA. Like I said, they erred on the side of caution because he staggered. It's entirely plausible that he didn't in fact suffer a concussion and that he's fine to play this weekend.

• Advertisement

It's probably worth looking back to my first post on this where I wasn't addressing anything in particular that someone was saying here, but more making a general point about reactions to this kind of thing. What followed was a specific conversation then about whether Earls was knocked out or not. That said....
    I hope they're not rushing Earls back.
    Anatom wrote: »
    Definitely. He was out of it. I would hesitate to bring him back in at all for a couple of weeks at least. Its not worth it, for his own sake.
    I think that's unquestionably him getting knocked out, and it's pretty scary tbh - you can see him go to clutch his face and then his body just collapses.

Given what we know about the situation (as opposed to what we're assuming) is it really "pretty scary"? Or are the things you are assuming to be true about this case "pretty scary"? We don't know for a fact if he was unconscious or if he even picked up a concussion. For all we know he could be fit and good to go on Saturday. So what exactly (from a factual perspective) was "pretty scary"?

You may not have specifically said anything about resting him for a few weeks, but there is an element of alarmist reaction to what you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

What I'm saying, and I won't speak on behalf of Molloy, is that there is a definite alarmist atmosphere surrounding the incident. First initially as people were very quick to declare that he was knocked out even though the video evidence shows no clear evidence that he was.
    People said he looked like he was out cold. Nobody can be definitive about it seeing as we're looking at video but he's motionless for six or seven seconds which is an indication of that. That's all. Nobody's making any qualitative judgments about it and if the medics say he's ok, then he's ok.

There's also a possibility that he's not. I think that's as much as can be said about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

He's on the ground and not moving for a few seconds. That does not mean he is out cold. This is exactly the kind of alarmist thing we need to get away from. You simply cannot know whether Earls is conscious there or not. It is impossible for you to know. Maybe he is, but then maybe he isn't. There is literally nothing definitive about that video other than the fact that Earls went into contact, hurt himself and went to ground.

Personally I don't think it's "alarmist". If someone gets a bang and lies motionless for a while I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution and get them off the field.
    I'd let the medics make the call then. I hope Earls is ok but I wouldn't like to see him rushed back.

People said he looked like he was out cold. Nobody can be definitive about it seeing as we're looking at video but he's motionless for six or seven seconds which is an indication of that. That's all. Nobody's making any qualitative judgments about it and if the medics say he's ok, then he's ok.

There's also a possibility that he's not. I think that's as much as can be said about it.

Well I disagree. Looking back there were certainly posts that were definitive on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

leakyboots wrote: »

Nothing tops Wallace though, the best forward Munster and Ireland have ever had, in my opinion.

Don't answer the door when you hear the knock tonight.....Stevie Ferris will be there ready to batter you!!!!

• Advertisement

Can you imagine if Stephen Ferris was still around. Holy mother of god.

Caption contest:

INPHO_01017146.jpg

It's probably worth looking back to my first post on this where I wasn't addressing anything in particular that someone was saying here, but more making a general point about reactions to this kind of thing. What followed was a specific conversation then about whether Earls was knocked out or not. That said....

Given what we know about the situation (as opposed to what we're assuming) is it really "pretty scary"? Or are the things you are assuming to be true about this case "pretty scary"? We don't know for a fact if he was unconscious or if he even picked up a concussion. For all we know he could be fit and good to go on Saturday. So what exactly (from a factual perspective) was "pretty scary"?

You may not have specifically said anything about resting him for a few weeks, but there is an element of alarmist reaction to what you said.

I think you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on what is alarmist or not. One person said he should stay out for a couple of weeks, someone else expressed a hope that it wasn't rushed, and I said that watching someone apparently get knocked out like that is pretty scary (which has no inherent connection to whether or not I think he should be back this weekend) - in the specific way that someone could be sent out cold without any kind of impact (which is unfortunately true in the world of concussion).

Alarmist to me would be saying that Earls should retire now, not that maybe he needs to sit out this one match - which I'm not even saying myself, I'll trust in the medical staff for now (I will say that there are still lingering questions over how effective Return To Play protocols are)

Caption contest:

INPHO_01017146.jpg

Richardt: Incomprehensible Afrikaans.
    CJ: HAHAHA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If there's any concern about Earls being concussed he should be out for 2 weeks and then evaluated. It's as simple as that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

be more like HAW HAW HAW i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Similar to Sexton if the experts reckon Earls is fine then that is good enough for me.

I don't see how any of us can say he should or shouldn't play.

bilston wrote: »
    Similar to Sexton if the experts reckon Earls is fine then that is good enough for me.

I don't see how any of us can say he should or shouldn't play.

Team has to be named on Thursday. Earls can't resume full training until Friday and can only be finally passed fit on Saturday.

I think they have to leave him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If the words "braai", "boerewors" or "biltong" didn't feature, I want an investigation into where these lads are really from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just on McFadden getting called up, never mind Gilroy I'd have liked to have seen Scholes involved. Of McFadden knows the systems which stands to him, but given whoever was called is unlikely to have played maybe Scholes could have gone for the experience, a bit like Ringrose last week.

Maybe versatility is more important than form but (Matt Healy notwithstanding who I haven't seen play much) I'd be hard pushed to think of a more in form winger than Scholes in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Caption contest:

INPHO_01017146.jpg
    Richardt: Which national anthem were you singing?
    CJ: Amhran na bhFiann, in Afrikaans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

jacothelad wrote: »
    The question that should be asked of any player is "What has he done this season to deserve a call up to the Ireland side / squad?" That may not be the only criterion that is used but it is always relevant.

Actually the question that a coach asks is 'what can a player bring to the team?'

Gilroy is an absolutely top class runner but in the half dozen or so times that I've seen him play I've not once seen him pass the ball. I'm sure that he can and indeed has done. I'm also sure that if selected he would make a contribution to the team but it's far from unreasonable to consider that his one huge plus might be outweighed by someone else's multiple pluses in other aspects of the game. Remember also that we're talking about two players who are not first choice for their provinces when all are fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Clearlier wrote: »
    Actually the question that a coach asks is 'what can a player bring to the team?'

Gilroy is an absolutely top class runner but in the half dozen or so times that I've seen him play I've not once seen him pass the ball. I'm sure that he can and indeed has done. I'm also sure that if selected he would make a contribution to the team but it's far from unreasonable to consider that his one huge plus might be outweighed by someone else's multiple pluses in other aspects of the game. Remember also that we're talking about two players who are not first choice for their provinces when all are fit.

You must keep going out for refills.....

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/team/player.php?PlayId=96567#.Vrom19CdP7w

If there's any concern about Earls being concussed he should be out for 2 weeks and then evaluated. It's as simple as that.

The documentary about concussion that was on RTÉ just before the World Cup didn't say anything about waiting 2 weeks.
    They said day after the impact is complete rest. Next day is 20 minutes light exercise and they're monitored. If there are no negative reactions activity is increased the next day and so on. Fail at any stage and you have to go back to the very start.

That said George North was told to take a month off before they'd assess him. I suppose it depends on the individual and their history of head injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

aimee1 wrote: »
    Or mcfadden can be useful on the bench to cover a few positions. Criticism for the sake of it

It's really not "criticism for the sake of it"
    Healy and indeed Gilroy are in great form where as McFadden is not playing well
    If McFadden is called in as replacement for the winger Earls it is totally justifiable to point out there are players more deserving going on form..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

But the pros don't work under that system. They have full time medics and are looked after. Amatuers RTP is different. Any amateur player minimum rest period is 2 weeks but pro players are different.
    The documentary about concussion that was on RTÉ just before the World Cup didn't say anything about waiting 2 weeks.
    They said day after the impact is complete rest. Next day is 20 minutes light exercise and they're monitored. If there are no negative reactions activity is increased the next day and so on. Fail at any stage and you have to go back to the very start.

That said George North was told to take a month off before they'd assess him. I suppose it depends on the individual and their history of head injuries.
    Yes its completely about past history/the individual and how bad the impact was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You're referring to the return to play protocols for someone where there is the possibility of a concussion. That's different than when there is suspicion of a concussion.

Arbitrary layoffs have no medical or scientific basis.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/concussion-tests-wont-fix-the-concussion-problem/
    A randomized trial published early this year found no benefit from putting concussed kids and adolescents on a regimen of strict rest for five days, compared with one or two days of rest followed by a gradual return to normal activities. “I don’t know why we treat concussion any differently from any other injury where we use our clinical judgment about when someone is ready to go back to play,” Randolph said.

It would probably depend on how obvious the symptoms are. If someone is blacking out or throwing up for a few days the impact you're obviously going to tell them to take a little break. If they're a bit groggy imidiately after the impact and then fine an hour later the normal day off and then assess would be fine.

• Advertisement

It would probably depend on how obvious the symptoms are. If someone is blacking out or throwing up for a few days the impact you're obviously going to tell them to take a little break. If they're a bit groggy imidiately after the impact and then fine an hour later the normal day off and then assess would be fine.

that's exactly the point. Arbitrary layoffs i.e "after KO you must take 5 days rest" have zero medical grounding.

Some cases the person may be okay within a day, others months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement