Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Will absolutely need to use our bench this time. Noves looks to be targeting us in the last 30 minutes with EBA and Slimani to come in. McGrath won't be able to maintain that level for consecutive weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

That article refers to Zebo being ahead of Trimble. As I saw it, Sexton made the break, Zebo was struggling to get up with him, leaving Sexton no option but Trimble who was tackled immediately. I didn't notice Zebo over ran Trimble but by then it didn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

He's talking about Zebo being ahead of Trimble. Sexton would have had to check his run slightly to pass to Zebo and he would have been entirely reliant on Zebo communicating that to him. There's no way of knowing whether Zebo did call for it or not but even if he had I think that he was a yard behind where he needed to be in order not to be swallowed up. I disagree with D'arcy that Zebo was ahead of Trimble but this time he was a half yard ahead of where he needed to be to take the pass. Trimble could have tried for an offload but it would have been very unlikely to stick and Wales had plenty of defenders anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Clearlier wrote: »
    He's talking about Zebo being ahead of Trimble. Sexton would have had to check his run slightly to pass to Zebo and he would have been entirely reliant on Zebo communicating that to him. There's no way of knowing whether Zebo did call for it or not but even if he had I think that he was a yard behind where he needed to be in order not to be swallowed up. I disagree with D'arcy that Zebo was ahead of Trimble but this time he was a half yard ahead of where he needed to be to take the pass. Trimble could have tried for an offload but it would have been very unlikely to stick and Wales had plenty of defenders anyway.
    Regardless of where Zebo was, it was a hell of a pass from Sexton to Trimble. Amsolutely pin point off his left hand across 15 metres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Because Matt Healy has never played an international match so sending him to Paris for his first one would be...

...fun? :eek:

I'd have no worries about him debuting in Paris HAD he been involved in Irish Squad from the start of this Six Nations like his form deserved
    Agree if he got thrown in now with just a week with squad it would be foolish mind

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

Lets hope Jefferson Poirot can't detect any weakness in our front row

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Have to say I'm actually a little excited to see a French team with such a new look about it play us. Could be a real humdinger of a match.

Or you, you know, Ireland making them look like gifted amateurs...

Buer wrote: »
    Will absolutely need to use our bench this time. Noves looks to be targeting us in the last 30 minutes with EBA and Slimani to come in. McGrath won't be able to maintain that level for consecutive weeks.

He seems to recover well, remember how much rugby he played last season at times? Bit of a work horse to be honest, front row edition of Jamie Heaslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Hope we keep Ryan on the bench to come on and match that physicality. McCarthy is a great workhorse to work through 60 minutes of slog and then brig in Ryan to up the intensity for 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Le XV de départ:
    Médard ; Thomas, Mermoz, Danty, Vakatawa ; (o) Plisson, (m) Bézy ;
    Camara, Chouly, Lauret ; Flanquart, Maestri ; Atonio, Guirado (cap), Poirot.

Les remplaçants: Chat, Ben Arous, Slimani, Jedrasiak, Goujon, Machenaud, Doussain, Bonneval.

A couple of changes for France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clearlier wrote: »

Bang on. Zebo wasn't in position to take a pass from either Sexton or Trimble I don't think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

SOB, Rob K, Sexton and Earls all trained this morning. Only the first 10 minutes were "open" though, so no idea if they did a full session or not.

Zebo did the first 10 minutes too but his leg looks heavily strapped.

Team at 12:30.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/video-great-news-for-ireland-as-obrien-sexton-earls-and-kearney-all-took-part-in-training-this-morning-34444126.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

France are going to go after us in the scrum. Am amazed Ross wasn't parachuted straight back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Because Matt Healy has never played an international match so sending him to Paris for his first one would be...

...fun? :eek:

Stander seemed to do OK last week?

I think Healy would do fine...and lets be honest, McFadden hasn't been having such a great season.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

I'm really looking forward to see how the Trimble - Vakatawa battle goes.

Both very aggressive players with very different skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

McFadden released back to Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

So that means...zebo wearing 14? Or DK?
    Or we don't know?

Just saw that Sean Cronin is also named on the Leinster bench.

That's it. I'm not watching the match now.

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    Or we don't know?

It means that at least two of Trimble, Rob K and Zebo are fit. Beyond that, we'll have to wait and see.

Healy back for Leinster too. Assume he'll be back in the Ireland squad after this week, all going well.

Just saw that Sean Cronin is also named on the Leinster bench.

Strauss must be in. More powerful scrummager which with France's bench probably makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Sean Cronin also on the bench for Leinster so looks like Strauss benching for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

kuang1 wrote: »
    Or we don't know?

Rumour has it that CJ Stander will be playing blind-side, both wings, replacement scrum-half and is giving the ball-boys a hand if they get busy.

Healy, Cronin and Ross are playing for Leinster so none of those are involved. Eoin Reddan is definitely on the bench now. That's a head scratcher.

• Advertisement

Healy, Cronin and Ross are playing for Leinster so none of those are involved. Eoin Reddan is definitely on the bench now. That's a head scratcher.

Maybe not. Joe could be looking to add some pace to the game in the last 15-20 maybe? Redser is still well capable of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Strauss must be in. More powerful scrummager which with France's bench probably makes sense.

I'm still more worried about Nathan White than anyone else in the front five -starting or bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Hope there's no problem with Sexton. A bruised sternum sounds awkward...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

That seems a little strange considering it's really just 2 choices at this point.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/697760102225469440

Earls?

Rob Kearney?

Sexton?

SPECULATE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

First Up wrote: »
    I'm still more worried about Nathan White than anyone else in the front five -starting or bench.

I thought he really recovered later on in that Welsh match. With more time beside Rory and with Feek we may see a very different performance.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster team is late being announced too. I guess you could read into that...

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Hope there's no problem with Sexton. A bruised sternum sounds awkward...

No sign of an Ulster team either which might suggest Sexton is the issue. If he's out that is really bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Can someone post the team as cant open twitter things in work :)

molloyjh wrote: »
    No sign of an Ulster team either which might suggest Sexton is the issue. If he's out that is really bad news.

Even if he's passed fit, they surely have to hold on to Jackson anyway?

Likewise, they should have held on to McFadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

or picking which back row to have on the bench. Either Ruddock or O'Donnel would be perfectly reasonable.
    Ruddock: bit more power against the french pack. emergency lock.
    O'donnel: probably a bit more explosive against a tired french pack later in the game. out and out 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

awec wrote: »
    Ulster team is late being announced too. I guess you could read into that...

Trimble and jackson are the ones it would impact if you link the two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

John Hayes come back

If Ulster being late is linked it's either Sexton out, Jackson in. Or Zebo out Marshall or McCloskey on the bench, right?

• Advertisement

I actually think I'm more nervous about the squad announcement than the match itself now! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Saw one rumour that Joe is waiting for the physio's recommendation on Earls.

John Hayes come back

It's definitely the return of Hayes.

If Ulster being late is linked it's either Sexton out, Jackson in. Or Zebo out Marshall or McCloskey on the bench, right?

Sexton most likely. McFadden being released probably says that the back three is OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

This is all very exciting! 12.45 announcement.

Apparently the delay was down to training going on longer than expected......hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

First Up wrote: »

I was fairly disappointed with him at first after the game because of his scrummaging. He got through a good bit of work in the loose, more than you'd see from Ross, but a solid scrum is the main ask of your tighthead.

Having looked back on the match since though, Garces was actually letting Rob Evans away with a good bit. I'd be willing to give him another go under a different ref to see what the result it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

It's definitely the return of Hayes.

His wife? Ultimate curveball

molloyjh wrote: »
    Apparently the delay was down to training going on longer than expected......hmmmm

That's the official IRFU line. The journos are singing a different song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Pop quiz hotshots, lets do the math.
    reddan + average dave+ Mcfadden = jedi = boring
    marrimon + gilroy + healy =the sith=exciting,vibrant,sexy

Choose your side and then name your province.
    Blessed are the Parochial as they will inherit SFA.

Fionn Carr anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement