Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    Lets face it, neither does McFadden.

In reality I don't think McFadden is covering center. I think Madigan would unless Sexton is also hurt or gassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

vienne86 wrote: »
    Is Zebo injured?

Yes, knee. His situation and Earls' was the cause for the announcement delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

molloyjh wrote: »
    Better defender.

If defense is important why is Dave Kearney in the side?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm not going to reignite the Jackson v Madigan debate but a few weeks ago Schmidt pretty much confirmed (when asked about players playing abroad) they'll pick the guy who is in camp over the guy who isn't. So we're leaving ourselves in a position where next season Schmidt either has to go back on that and pick a guy who isn't in camp full time OR pick the guy who hasn't been getting any game time at a serious international level.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that back row !!!!!

Paris wont have seen such destruction since 1789

Does anyone on here have any definitive proof (such as splits over 30m/60m/100m) that there is a dramatic difference between our wingers with regards to speed / acceleration?

I hear players getting called "slow" all the time but never see proof as to which players are faster and by how much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Because he is a very solid defender in addition to being a good winger.

Harsh on Marmion, McFadden shouldn't be near the team, sny number of Ulster backs should be ahead of him. I'd take Ruddock over ToD, he's so much more powerful.

I would take take ToD against France. I think he suits what we should be doing both offensively (better link play and more useful out wide) and defensively (breakdown presence and pace for the kick chase).

Huge fan of Ruddock but I think we're going to want to be moving this French pack around the field later on in this game. Reddan/ToD/Ryan/Furlong could all play a part in that.

yeah but there was that one time that he wasn't

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Does anyone on here have any definitive proof (such as splits over 30m/60m/100m) that there is a dramatic difference between our wingers with regards to speed / acceleration?

I hear players getting called "slow" all the time but never see proof as to which players are faster and by how much.

FMF has often been praised for his speed

and DK has show some fantastic covering speed this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

awec wrote: »
    This graphic is wrong btw.

Schmidt named TOD on the bench, not Ruddock.

Yeah TOD is on the pic tweeted by murray kinsella. Regarding McFadden on the bench Bowe, Zebo and Earls are out. Trimble and DK start so he is well down the pecking order and only getting a bench spot on that basis. He is very much a fringe player at best if we have minimal injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Decent team. Very happy. We have the beating of the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Pretty happy with that squad given the injuries. That pack looks really good (White being the only possible concern, but he did well enough last week once he got the scrum sorted). The back row has the potential to do a lot of damage. Our half backs are on form at the moment and our centres are playing well too. Dave Kearney has shown a nose for the try line a fair bit this season and a real ability to link up with guys in the middle of the park off set plays. If we can build on some of the work we did last week (think of Sextons line breaks) we could be looking at a good day out.

Impressive that we can be missing 4 senior wingers through injury and still have 6N medalists on both wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Ah come on. Dave's defense has been very good aside from the Argentina game.

Do we need to go back to pre world cup quotes on this board when everyone was lauding Dave Kearney's performances in the warm ups?

One bad game (when there were other issues in the defensive line) shouldn't be hung around his neck forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

The team and bench looks to be set up to keep it tight with Sexton to keep the scoreboard ticking over. If the tight five can get parity and we can frustrate the French like the Italians did we can win. However, if the French get on top up front and start to move it wide quickly (a la Argentina), it could be a long afternoon in the Stade, particularly if they get 10+ points ahead.

Because it's a strength of his

He's a grand provincial winger. Not near international standard though. Hopefully he won't leave the side down at the weekend. It's not his fault that he was been elevated beyond his talent.

Impressive that we can be missing 4 senior wingers through injury and still have 6N medalists on both wings.

And on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I hope last week didn't take too much out of us, it was quite the battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Really, MG? He had ONE shocker. I'm sure we can find at least one game where Bowe, Trimble, Earls, Zebo have had the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Gilroy must be really gash in training, only reason I can think of that he can't get into the squad. Can he really be so much more deficient than DK or Earls in defense that his superiority in attack is ignored continuously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

People moaning about McFadden being on the bench but not taking into account that he wouldn't be near the team if Zebo, Earls, Bowe or Fitzgerald were fit.

So they're essentially giving out about the 7th choice winger spot. Remember the days of having Paddy Wallace as our outside back cover!!

And the 23 too......

Really, MG? He had ONE shocker. I'm sure we can find at least one game where Bowe, Trimble, Earls, Zebo have had the same.

Or when Ross couldn't scrum to save his life, or when POC missed lineout after lineout, or when ROG missed pressure kicks, or when Reddan couldn't hit a barn door with a pass, or when BOD left 2/3 players walk through him in defence.

Obviously that's the end of the matter, once that happens we know that they are no longer able to do it. That is it. Final. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I remember hearing a few years ago that McFadden was recorded as being faster than Zebo (can't remember over what distance). He's definitely quick if nothing else. He has a that weird leg flick when he sprints

Gilroy must be really gash in training, only reason I can think of that he can't get into the squad. Can he really be so much more deficient than DK or Earls in defense that his superiority in attack is ignored continuously?

Being good at Pro12 level and being good at international level are very different. Who are the first choice wingers at Ulster at the moment all fit? And with Piutau coming in next season and Trimble still being around who will be first choice next season all fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

sydthebeat wrote: »
    that back row !!!!!

& No picamoles..
    Don't think chouly is even close to any of our starting back row
    Their 2 flankers look decent though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I remember hearing a few years ago that McFadden was recorded as being faster than Zebo (can't remember over what distance). He's definitely quick if nothing else. He has a that weird leg flick when he sprints

Quick in a straight line for sure, always struck me as someone who hasn't much of a step though

sydthebeat wrote: »
    that back row !!!!!

Hi George! :D

• Advertisement

Because it's a strength of his

Its only a strength when you compare it to other aspects of his game, but I'm not so sure you would call it a strength.

I'm a terrible singer and dancer, but my dancing is probably better than my singing. I still wouldn't call my dancing a strength though.

Id be much happier with either of Marshall or McCloskey on the bench covering wing that either of McFadden or Madigan covering centre.

To be honest I was relieved to hear Madigan was leaving for Bordeaux so we can finally have Jackson in the team.

Its only a strength when you compare it to other aspects of his game, but I'm not so sure you would call it a strength.

I'm a terrible singer and dancer, but my dancing is probably better than my singing. I still wouldn't call my dancing a strength though.

It's a strength relative to other wingers who play in Ireland. Earls/Fitz/Trimble are better, that's about it.

Can you name a single other game apart from the Argentina game where he's struggled defensively?

Id have thought it's more his kicking that's the issue.
    I for one though would love to see him in the team.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Quick in a straight line for sure, always struck me as someone who hasn't much of a step though

No but as WW said he is behind Trimble, Bowe, Earls, Fitzgerald, Zebo and Dave Kearney. So he is well down the pecking order. He is solid without being exceptional. And as 6th or 7th choice wingers go that'll do. Remember our entire back line, both starting and on the bench, have 6 Nations medals. And that's despite the injuries. Can we really complain that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

4 munster players in the entire squad, sign of the times!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Id be much happier with either of Marshall or McCloskey on the bench covering wing that either of McFadden or Madigan covering centre.

To be honest I was relieved to hear Madigan was leaving for Bordeaux so we can finally have Jackson in the team.
    Not many were saying that after France in wc

It's a strength relative to other wingers who play in Ireland. Earls/Fitz/Trimble are better, that's about it.

Can you name a single other game apart from the Argentina game where he's struggled defensively?

Is this post not an exercise in futility?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Needs more Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    4 munster players in the entire squad, sign of the times!

Is it? POM would be there if fit and Earls and Zebo were involved last week. That makes 7 if you assume POM being there means TOD isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Aside from watching a lad struggle up the park, display zero burst in contact or finishing speed, no. Its an eye test. Zebo for example, until the game against Wales on sun, rarely displayed his full burst in contact at international level, he look a less explosive player then Earls for example, ordinary in my eyes. Earls has a great burst over 10-20m, same with the likes of Fitz, neither has great finishing speed.

Compare say Mick Grath when he broke through at Leinster(before injury) and McFadden from about two or more years ago. Very similar players, straight, hard running physical players. If you look at McFadden now, he just isnt that player. I dont have any data to back this up, only what I see, he is just sluggish and doesnt display power or venom with ball in hand.

Its like when you say a players legs have gone, you just know, you can see it in his play, you dont need data to tell you. A foot race in training over 10-20-30 etc would give you an indication, but it wouldnt be accurate. Take Trimble for example, hes still quick and powerful over short distances, but his agility and finishing speed is pot, that kick in behind him being a painful example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Like a lot of people here I'm absolutely shocked by the inclusion of McFadden. Personally think he is nothing but an average player who will bring nothing to that Irish team.

he is a reasonably solid defender but doesn't offer anything in attack IMO.

He can barely get a game at Leinster while the likes of gilroy, Healy and ringrose are bang in form.

Also, what is the reason for dropping marmion?? Can't understand that decision either.

Other than those two decisions I'm very happy with the actual team and expect us to win by 6 points.

Back row to cause havoc :)

Being good at Pro12 level and being good at international level are very different. Who are the first choice wingers at Ulster at the moment all fit? And with Piutau coming in next season and Trimble still being around who will be first choice next season all fit?

The thing is, Kearney and McFadden don't even excel at Pro12 level.

Craig Gilroy has scored more provincial tries in the last 1.5 seasons than Fergus McFadden has scored in his 9 year provincial career.

Craig Gilroy has scored the same amount of provincial tries in the last 1.5 seasons as Dave Kearney has scored in his 8 year provincial career.

No but as WW said he is behind Trimble, Bowe, Earls, Fitzgerald, Zebo and Dave Kearney. So he is well down the pecking order. He is solid without being exceptional. And as 6th or 7th choice wingers go that'll do. Remember our entire back line, both starting and on the bench, have 6 Nations medals. And that's despite the injuries. Can we really complain that much?

The back 3 and reserve backs all played in paris 2014. Only the centres are different

Not many were saying that after France in wc

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

People see his high goal kicking percentage and flat passes and think he's the next big thing when in fact Jackson is much better at getting his backline going, is a better passer and has proven recently that he can kick under pressure. Im a Leinster fan and id take Jackson every day.

• Advertisement

Craig Gilroy has scored the same amount of provincial tries in the last 1.5 seasons as Dave Kearney has scored in his 8 year provincial career.

An 8 year provincial career for Kearney, the 26 year old who broke his leg when playing for Landsdowne his first year out of school.

Not only is he strong on the ball, in support play and defense, he's also a time lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I hate to be on about Sextons fitness again but how can Schmidt say Zebo and Earls trained well but he couldn't risk them when travelling to France yet his out half is clearly wincing in discomfort next to him while wearing a chest support?
    I fear that with Sextons history in France and not being 100% that Danty will target him and we won't see him for a few after Saturday.
    Jackson can't be that far off the pace that we have to keep risking Sextons career.

An 8 year provincial career for Kearney, the 26 year old who broke his leg when playing for Landsdowne his first year out of school.

Not only is he strong on the ball, in support play and defense, he's also a time lord.

Kearney first played for Leinster in the 2008-2009 season. He has featured for Leinster every year since. Hence, he has played provincial rugby for 8 seasons.

An apology would be most welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

In 2014 he was
    This season? Been muck

Even with Bowe, Fitzgerald, Earls and Zebo all injured he has no right to be near the Irish set up imo

That said: PHWOAARR what a backrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Two questions for the rugby experts:
    1. Does McFadden/D Kearney/Reddan involvement mean that schmidt is morphing into Steady Eddie
    2. What jerseys are they wearing sat, is it the white or the blue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement