Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

.ak wrote: »
    I would've liked to see ruddock on the bench but I think TOD coming on against a tired French pack could rip them to shreds, like having an extra back out there.

I think if there's any doubt whatsoever about SOB's ability to last the 80, that TOD is the right call on the bench.

He'd a very decent outing last week, and would slot straight back in if SOB had to come off early. That back row were very good as a whole against Wales, and I'd have pretty good faith in them to reproduce if were called upon.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did he mention Jackson?

Said Madigan was picked just because of versatility and the need to cover positions (he actually said versatility is what is keeping Madigan ahead of PJ for now).

Said Jackson going really well in training, released to Ulster this weekend just to keep him ticking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Did he mention Jackson?

Yeah, he said he just doesn't rate him at all, and that Madigan is out and out the better out half, and versatility doesn't come into it at all.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's grand lads, look: McFadden starts for Leinster tomorrow. It was all a bad dream. Pack away the pitchforks.

LEINSTER (Leinster caps in brackets):
    15. Zane Kirchner (56 caps)
    14. Adam Byrne (2 caps)
    13. Garry Ringrose (11 caps)
    12. Ben Te'o (28 caps)
    11. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN (139 caps)
    10. Cathal Marsh (9 caps)
    9. Isaac Boss (131 caps)
    1. Cian Healy 147 caps)
    2. James Tracy (13 caps)
    3. Mike Ross (125 caps)
    4. Ross Molony (13 caps)
    5. Hayden Triggs (5 caps)
    6. Dominic Ryan (97 caps)
    7. Josh van der Flier (19 caps)
    8. Jordi Murphy (69 caps)

16. Sean Cronin (103 caps)
    17. Peter Dooley (12 caps)
    18. Michael Bent (60 caps)
    19. Tom Denton (46 caps)
    20. Dan Leavy (9 caps)
    21. Luke McGrath (39 caps)
    22. Noel Reid (53 caps)
    23. Fergus McFadden (137 caps)

Clearly this means Darragh Fanning gets the 23 shirt in Paris :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Did he mention Jackson?

He said that Madigan's versatility put s him ahead of jackson for now and that he should be released to Ulster to keep him ticking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Still worries about our scrum. That front 5 got minced in the first half last week. Hope at least McCarthy packs down at 5 this time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I hate to be on about Sextons fitness again but how can Schmidt say Zebo and Earls trained well but he couldn't risk them when travelling to France yet his out half is clearly wincing in discomfort next to him while wearing a chest support?
    I fear that with Sextons history in France and not being 100% that Danty will target him and we won't see him for a few after Saturday.
    Jackson can't be that far off the pace that we have to keep risking Sextons career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

molloyjh wrote: »
    They may not have massively different roles. This is where Heaslips versatility comes into play I reckon. He'll be doing a lot of the BS work around the pitch I reckon. That'll free the other 2 up a bit more to get involved further out.

Can look forward to some "Heaslip was anonymous" posts so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

When exactly did every Ireland team announcement and match build up turn into a moaning contest about the players being picked?

I know it's a discussion board but the default position from some people is outrage at selection as opposed to any sort of excitement about the game itself.

Having watched Ireland for the last 25 years or so, I can well remember the times when we went to Paris without a hope. We are now traveling there as 2 times Champions and having not lost to France since 2011. We should be confident in coming away with a win and keeping the defense of the Six Nations going strong.

The reason why we have not lost to France since 2011 is because they have been terrible, not ireland improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Quint2010 wrote: »
    SOB and Stander very similar players. What differing roles will each have?

They don't need to have specific roles; the beauty of playing them together is neither of them will be overloaded with one task. Of course in a micromanaging level they'll do different things, like who steps out on set pieces, who helps defend the midfield in open play, who might be used to support power plays on the wing etc.

The fact though that they can both carry, both jackal, both have monster clear outs and can both passes just means neither will be overloaded and wrecked after 60 min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

wp_rathead wrote: »

Well once Dave Kearney scores 2 tries and puts in a try saving tackle in his 16/16 tackles completed game with Redser and Ferg both coming on for scoring cameos people will need someone to complain about. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Who is ref? French looked kike they were boring in. Different ref might ping them for it.

Who is ref? French looked kike they were boring in. Different ref might ping them for it.

one of awec's favourites no doubt! :pac:

It's Peyper I think. He's alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

awec wrote: »
    It's Peyper I think. He's alright.

Coming from you, that's pretty much declaring love for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

jm08 wrote: »
    The reason why we have not lost to France since 2011 is because they have been terrible, not ireland improving.

Despite winning two six nations we haven't improved.

Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

molloyjh wrote: »
    Well once Dave Kearney scores 2 tries and puts in a try saving tackle in his 16/16 tackles completed game with Redser and Ferg both coming on for scoring cameos people will need someone to complain about. :D

How will they complain when they aren't watching the game ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Heh, I suspect well actually see more of him. He might have the chance to start hanging back a bit further, coming on at speed and supporting breaks more than we've seen him do in a long while. Just a guess though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Stander and O'Brien together is going to be immense. Stander is more comfortable further away from the breakdown than O'Brien but I'm sure we'll see both pop up at first receiver. Maybe we'll see more of SOB carrying close in to keep their defense honest with Stander staying a little wider ot take advantage of it. Maybe those roles will be swapped due to fitness.

Either way, I cannot wait. The only way I would be more excited about watching our forwards carrying the ball this weekend would be if Bill Henderson was fit.

.ak wrote: »
    Despite winning two six nations we haven't improved.

Okay.

Ireland went from finishing 5th in the 6 Nations to winning it without even needing to improve. That's impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No, I was on about McFadden

Ah ok. The post you quoted was referring to DK.

Would agree I'm not thrilled to see McFadden there.

Stander and O'Brien together is going to be immense. Stander is more comfortable further away from the breakdown than O'Brien but I'm sure we'll see both pop up at first receiver. Maybe we'll see more of SOB carrying close in to keep their defense honest with Stander staying a little wider ot take advantage of it. Maybe those roles will be swapped due to fitness.

Either way, I cannot wait. The only way I would be more excited about watching our forwards carrying the ball this weekend would be if Bill Henderson was fit.

Preach it brother buccy!

Am I the only one who read:

"Can look forward to some 'Heaslip was anonymous' "

to the tune of:

"is the dawning of the age of Aquarius..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

The Henderson/SOB/Stander backrow has to get played at some stage. We missed out on the Ferris/SOB/Wallace backrow, I'll never forgive Schmidt if he doesn't give us a taste of Henderson/SOB/Stander in tandem.

All I'll say is...

We lost in Rome....

Next year, we put Dave Kearney in the team...

We then won the Six Nations...

#keyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Never heard of Peyper!

The Henderson/SOB/Stander backrow has to get played at some stage. We missed out on the Ferris/SOB/Wallace backrow, I'll never forgive Schmidt if he doesn't give us a taste of Henderson/SOB/Stander in tandem.

Henderson shouldn't be anywhere near the back row. Imagine leaving out Heaslip in order to play someone like McCarthy in the 2nd row, that'd be bonkers.

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if we see Earls feature against France. During the press announcement, Schmidt said Earls missed out because he will have to complete his final HIA assessment on Saturday before the match. If he passes that, Schmidt might bring him in ahead of Kearney or McFadden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ah ok. The post you quoted was referring to DK.

Would agree I'm not thrilled to see McFadden there.

Yeah I actually thought poster was on about McFadden
    I don't mind Dave Kearney starting tbh considering the injuries

Just McFadden on the bench just seems so "Ah really?"
    Hopefully he proves us doubters wrong come Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

vienne86 wrote: »
    Never heard of Peyper!

He reffed the sluggish opening match of the RWC (England vs Fiji) where there were a lot of TMO shenanigans.

Henderson shouldn't be anywhere near the back row. Imagine leaving out Heaslip in order to play someone like McCarthy in the 2nd row, that'd be bonkers.

It doesn't have to be for a full game or during the 6N. I don't care how it happens, it just has to.

Missing out on seeing Ferris/SOB/Wallace tearing it up together in green has to be one of my bigger rugby regrets. Schmidt will have the opportunity to give us a taste of what could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

McFadden is about our 8th choice winger at this stage. The one thing about him is while he might not improve a team he wont significantly weaken it defensively and that is what you want from your 8th choice winger to not be a liability, he wont let anyone down

So give him a break

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if we see Earls feature against France. During the press announcement, Schmidt said Earls missed out because he will have to complete his final HIA assessment on Saturday before the match. If he passes that, Schmidt might bring him in ahead of Kearney or McFadden.

Is there a technical issue there regarding the HIA? (as in, 'you can't name someone on a team sheet unless they're cleared')

If not, then the above scenario would make zero sense. It would make more sense to not name McFadden, but have him travel, and if Earls doesn't pass fit before kick off, we can change the team sheet (just like Williams & Anscombe last weekend).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

He never said that.

Is there a technical issue there regarding the HIA? (as in, 'you can't name someone on a team sheet unless they're cleared')

If not, then the above scenario would make zero sense. It would make more sense to not name McFadden, but have him travel, and if Earls doesn't pass fit before kick off, we can change the team sheet (just like Williams & Anscombe last weekend).

It might just be publicity based.

Naming Earls in the side, but having to pull him out due to failing a HIA looks a lot worse than naming Kearney/McFadden in the side, but pulling them aside when Earls passes his HIA. Its just idle speculation, but I think it was odd that Schmidt mentioned that Earls will have to do his finial HIA before the match.

• Advertisement

Naming Earls in the side, but having to pull him out due to failing a HIA looks a lot worse than naming Kearney/McFadden in the side, but pulling them aside when Earls passes his HIA. Its just idle speculation, but I think it was odd that Schmidt mentioned that Earls will have to do his finial HIA before the match.

Doesn't need to mention a HIA as a reason if he's pulled on the day. Say he's got a virus.

Wouldn't be the first lie we've been told about players not starting games, wouldn't be the last.

The final HIA is supposed to involve a full contact session

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

No. Just no. That didnt happen. Never. Ever. In a month of Sundays. That sentence is all wrong on so many levels. The rest is OK. The BOD bit. No.

Yeah, he wasn't a great defender when he first burst onto the scene. You've got to remember that defensive systems were rudimentary at that stage. It's testimony to just how hard he worked that he has essentially defined the defensive role of the 13 in professional rugby.
    I had a quick look at the Leinster site to see what years each player made their debut in. If it helps your cause, I could amend it to 7.5 seasons of provincial rugby?

Gilroy has played significantly more provincial rugby than Kearney. There's no doubt that that Gilroy's strike rate is higher (39 in 123 compared to 19 in 96) but there more to being a winger than scoring tries and there are a lot of wingers in Ireland who do a lot of other stuff better than Gilroy. He'd be in my Baa Baa's team for his running skills but not in my team to win matches. There's still time for him to develop but at the moment I'd see him as a Shane Jennings level player - good enough to get a few caps but never that near becoming a starter.

Doesn't need to mention a HIA as a reason if he's pulled on the day. Say he's got a virus.

Wouldn't be the first lie we've been told about players not starting games, wouldn't be the last.

You're right, but I still think it would be smoother to just not name him in the first place. Concussion is a hot issue at present, and it would be smart/expected for the IRFU to do their best to avoid any bad publicity if possible.

You're right, but I still think it would be smoother to just not name him in the first place. Concussion is a hot issue at present, and it would be smart/expected for the IRFU to do their best to avoid any bad publicity if possible.

Is there a single precedent ever for a fit player dropping out of the named XXIII and another player coming in?

In your suggested setup, McFadden has to 'take a knee' and be declared unfit to play.

Not sure it's smooth!

• Advertisement

Mahatma is right; Earls was never going to be named. To do so would have been pre-judging the outcome of the RTP protocol and that would create war.

He might yet be on the bench on Saturday but technically, since he can't have done full contact training this week, he won't have gone through all steps of the protpcol, so I doubt it.

Mahatma is right; Earls was never going to be named. To do so would have been pre-judging the outcome of the RTP protocol and that would create war.

He might yet be on the bench on Saturday but technically, since he can't have done full contact training this week, he won't have gone through all steps of the protpcol, so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Haven't seen McFadden play this year, what form has he been in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think anyone was really expecting to see him, were they? Actual concussion or suspected concussion the turn around was just too short. 3 days in reality. He may well be fine come Saturday but to be named in the team on Thursday it was never going to happen.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »

Angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Pretty rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

kilns wrote: »
    McFadden is about our 8th choice winger at this stage. The one thing about him is while he might not improve a team he wont significantly weaken it defensively and that is what you want from your 8th choice winger to not be a liability, he wont let anyone down

So give him a break

The Dave Kearney argument. "He won't win you a match but he won't lose you one either".

Fast forward to RWC QF in October 2015, solid Dave managed to miss 60% of his tackles in one of Ireland's biggest ever games.

Nothing against McFadden but I just can't see how he's on that bench ahead of McCloskey or even Gilroy.

Up and down. Had some really good games, others he's been a bit anonymous. Had a few injuries, then his suspension for stamping, it's hard to judge overall.

He hasn't been as bad as is being made out here, not by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

So is SOB going to be told to give em hell for 50-60 then bring TOD on for him or is Stander (given he seemed to tire a lot last week - understandable) emptying the tank early and going off instead?

You're answers may or may not affect my fantasy team and I'm currently 69th in the world on ESPN so I have faith in my internet brethren here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

McFadden being in the team is completely unsurprising since he was called in to the squad.

I don't think that means there's anything wrong with thinking he shouldn't be ahead of players like Gilroy, Healy or even Scholes. He's what 4th? 5th? choice at Leinster when everybody is available and he hasn't been playing great this season, not to mention he's had some issues with discipline on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think McFadden being called up is a bit of a joke. Hardly inspires performances from Gilroy or Healy who have performed much better than McFadden this season. Surely they are worth a call up ahead of him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement