Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Hagz wrote: »
    Doctor says its in his directives to ask those questions. It seemed the kid got a cut on his head and because its in his directives the medic asked him HIA questions. The ref hearing these questions assumed there were suspicions of a concussion and ordered the kid off. The medics were adamant that he didn't have a concussion but I think at that point the ref probably felt like he had no choice but to stick to his original decision. Feel bad for the kid. Works all year to play in the SCT and has it cut short because of a misinterpretation.

Yeah. I guess the ref is erring on the side of caution and you can understand why. Problem though is that you could now end up with people not asking HIA questions when they should be just to avoid a player being sent off unnecessarily.

I think either way though the guy arguing with the ref the whole way across the pitch isn't a great example for his kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

stephen_n wrote: »
    Since when? Do you have anything to back that up other than a preconceived bias?

Eh, bit of an overreaction? Fitzgerald, Kearney and Nacewa are all comfortably ahead of him, possibly Kirchner too, putting him at 4th or 5th choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Nacewa and Dave Kearney seem be first choice for Leinster
    Then Ringrose and Kirchner (assuming Fitzgerald and Te'o are Centre)
    So 5th sounds about right

On the wing? Ringrose definitely not, Kirchner maybe, he's been in really good form of late. So he has two or maybe three internationals ahead of him. For shame!

Seriously, we all need to get some perspective here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Hagz wrote: »
    Doctor says its in his directives to ask those questions. It seemed the kid got a cut on his head and because its in his directives the medic asked him HIA questions. The ref hearing these questions assumed there were suspicions of a concussion and ordered the kid off. The medics were adamant that he didn't have a concussion but I think at that point the ref probably felt like he had no choice but to stick to his original decision. Feel bad for the kid. Works all year to play in the SCT and has it cut short because of a misinterpretation.

On the bright side, it often takes things like this to make an organisation realise they might need to tweak their policies and you shouldn't have a misunderstanding in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Nacewa and Dave Kearney seem be first choice for Leinster
    Then Ringrose and Kirchner (assuming Fitzgerald and Te'o are Centre)
    So 5th sounds about right

Neither Ringrose or Kirchner are ahead of McFadden at Leinster Nacewa maybe but it would be a toss up between DK and McFadden for the other wing.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The IRFU fly these lads to France in economy Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

awec wrote: »

Economy? That's the emergency exit row. Those seats could be €10-20 extra a pop!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You wouldn't get that up in Ulster!

Bazzo wrote: »
    Economy? That's the emergency exit row. Those seats could be €10-20 extra a pop!

Even Leinster charter their own flights to away matches!

IRFU are as tight as a gnat's chuff.

• Advertisement

I see that France have selected Teddy Thomas on the wing. I thought that he was really impressive when he came onto the scene a couple of years ago. He was dropped for some indiscipline and then was out with injury which he's not long back from. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a stormer against Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

On the wing? Ringrose definitely not, Kirchner maybe, he's been in really good form of late. So he has two or maybe three internationals ahead of him. For shame!

Seriously, we all need to get some perspective here.

Okay so 4th choice
    I get people (including me tbf) may be overreacting but I also think people have a right to be aggrieved to see McFadden in Irish Squad ahead of other players
    That said I understand WHY he is: he knows the set up and Joe trusts him- I mean not like he wouldn't be in 23 if Zebo, Earls, Fitzgerald or Bowe were fit so not a Joe conspiracy in that sense :P

Neither Ringrose or Kirchner are ahead of McFadden at Leinster Nacewa maybe but it would be a toss up between DK and McFadden for the other wing.

Fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

jm08 wrote: »
    France has been uncompetitive in the 6ns since they won their last Grand Slam in 2010. They won the wooden spoon in 2013.

France are not the team they were prior to 2011 - so Ireland really didn't have to improve much to beat them - they are beating themselves.

That's not what you said, but okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Okay so 4th choice
    I get people (including me tbf) may be overreacting but I also think people have a right to be aggrieved to see McFadden in Irish Squad ahead of other players
    That said I understand WHY he is

Why would you feel aggrieved if you understand the reason behind it ? Do you not agree with the reasons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

glasso wrote: »
    I see that France have selected Teddy Thomas on the wing. I thought that he was really impressive when he came onto the scene a couple of years ago. He was dropped for some indiscipline and then was out with injury which he's not long back from. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a stormer against Ireland.

I agree with this, and I think by the looks of it he would have Irelands wingers for pace as well! With him and Vakataki France have an exciting back line but one that could make mistakes though.

The reason why we have not lost to France since 2011 is because they have been terrible, not ireland improving.

So Ireland 2012 and 2013 were as good as Ireland 2014 and 2015 ? Really.
    Interested to hear the rationale for this one (unless its a post meant for a different forum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

So Ireland 2012 and 2013 were as good as Ireland 2014 and 2015 ? Really.
    Interested to hear the rationale for this one (unless its a post meant for a different forum).

France were bottom in 2013, they won 5/10 in the 2014 and 2015 campaigns, so they definitely improved, but we also improved and followed two draws [2012 & 2013] with two wins in 2014 and 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

France has been uncompetitive in the 6ns since they won their last Grand Slam in 2010. They won the wooden spoon in 2013.

France are not the team they were prior to 2011 - so Ireland really didn't have to improve much to beat them - they are beating themselves.

Come on lad. You seriously don't believe that codswallop, do you?

Ireland. Back to back winning 6 Nations Champions Ireland. That Ireland. That Ireland have not improved? Really? Come on. Give over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Why would you feel aggrieved if you understand the reason behind it ? Do you not agree with the reasons ?

Like said, I understand the reasons - but it is depressing to see him in the squad the way he has played this season he hasn't earned it hence I feel aggrieved

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    I think McFadden being called up is a bit of a joke. Hardly inspires performances from Gilroy or Healy who have performed much better than McFadden this season. Surely they are worth a call up ahead of him.

The aim of calling up The McFaddinator is to maximise Ireland's chances of winning in Paris. Inspiring performance from Gilroy or Healy would not have been one of Joe's targets in making the choice.

I've watched a couple of Heaslips video's and this is easily his best since 2009. You can see Tommy O'Donnell sitting 3 seats over. Coincidence? I think not.

I've watched a couple of Heaslips video's and this is easily his best since 2009. You can see Tommy O'Donnell sitting 3 seats over. Coincidence? I think not.

it all went downhill after SOB arrived late [did he forget his passport?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

I am not sure about that LEINSTER and friends team being sent out against France, they got walloped by Wasps twice, how will they fare against the combined player power of all the French clubs.
    Just hope the friends can make the difference.

MOD: banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

I am not sure about that LEINSTER and friends team being sent out against France, they got walloped by Wasps twice, how will they fare against the combined player power of all the French clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Most of the criticism of Schmidt seems to centre around a few buzzwords:

Inspiration: selections typically being labelled "uninspiring", e.g., McFadden benching ahead of Gilroy, Reddan benching ahead of Marmion, etc.

Embarrassment: certain aspects of a performance being labelled "embarrassing", like shipping 40 points to Argentina, not scoring a try last year against Wales in Cardiff..

Conservatism: selections or indeed tactics not being "progressive", e.g. resorting to an aerial game against France (if we do) or picking players who know the system ahead of players who are showing good provincial form, but are still greenhorns in the international game.

Can anyone think of any more? I am trying to develop a drinking game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Meh, sure you won't be watching, remember?

Neil3030 wrote: »

Inspiration: selections typically being labelled "uninspiring", e.g., McFadden benching ahead of Gilroy, Reddan benching ahead of Marmion, etc.

Embarrassment: certain aspects of a performance being labelled "embarrassing", like shipping 40 points to Argentina, not scoring a try last year against Wales in Cardiff..

Conservatism: selections or indeed tactics not being "progressive", e.g. resorting to an aerial game against France (if we do) or picking players who know the system ahead of players who are showing good provincial form, but are still greenhorns in the international game.

Provincial Bias??

and how have some of the other provinces fared in europe this season? I seem to remember one getting quite badly beaten by a team down to 14 for an entire half for starters.

aimee1 wrote: »
    Provincial Bias??

Interesting proposition... would this fall under conservatism though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Cronyism? One-eyed? Old pals act? Stale?

• Advertisement

Interesting proposition... would this fall under conservatism though?

not really, he could after all ask players from other provinces to do the exact same thing

aimee1 wrote: »
    not really, he could after all ask players from other provinces to do the exact same thing

So are we saying that the 'conservatism' is strictly a tactical measure?

The starting XV is pretty good, could have made an argument for Furlong and Ryan.

Our numbers 6-10 have the potential to be properly outstanding and that's where games are often won and lost.

So are we saying that the 'conservatism' is strictly a tactical measure?

The the misuse of the word conservatism by some trying to criticise Joe is really inadvertant praise of how good his selection judgement is.

Consistent selection is one of the hallmarks of Joe's coaching genius : he identifies the best players to do a job for him very quickly - from the off almost. So he doesnt need to chop and change, parachuting a hot shot du moment into the team because of one flashy run, or dropping someone because of a missed tackle, or resorting to reshuffling the deck after a bad result.

He sees the big picture, overall ability and all aspects of each player, long term performance, ability to slot into the system and execute Plan Joe, and that it is the 'whole' that bring rugby success rather than just the simple sum of the parts.

What those people are really saying without fully understanding themselves is : "wow, Joe is so 'conservative', he really knows what his best team is, sticks with them, and works on perfecting how they work as a unit. We are so lucky to have such a 'conservative' coach who keeps winning stuff with this strategy".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Okay so 4th choice
    That said I understand WHY he is: he knows the set up and Joe trusts him- I mean not like he wouldn't be in 23 if Zebo, Earls, Fitzgerald or Bowe were fit so not a Joe conspiracy in that sense :P

but what other players? The only other winger at this stage would be Gilroy and he's brilliant in attack but lacks in defense. It's not like McFadden is being put ahead of players who are way better than he is or deserve the jersey more.

"Confidence ruining" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

but what other players? The only other winger at this stage would be Gilroy and he's brilliant in attack but lacks in defense. It's not like McFadden is being put ahead of players who are way better than he is or deserve the jersey more.

Some would be arguing Healy or O'Halloran deserved a call up more. McCloskey or Marshall are also better options to come off the bench in my mind in the first place. And that's as a Leinster fan.

Boards Bingo anyone?

here's some ideas...

drink if...
    The Lost Sheep posts something in defence of the UBL
    jm08 says something outrageous and then spends 23 posts explaining how Leinster did it worse
    .ak likes your post
    Vaughn Happy Ramp and irishbucsfan have a 'who's the bigger know-all' competition, neither of them likely to give up
    Mahatma Geansai goes out of his way to post a disparaging remark about 'Joe'
    awec complains about the referee, or the weather, or anything really in general
    former total gets a new username
    jacothelad mentions a player you've never even heard of
    Billysays no has a good oul fashioned (post midnight) rant

I resent the fact you think I complain about the weather or anything else!

I resent the fact you think I complain about the weather or anything else!

does this count as a drink?

• Advertisement

does this count as a drink?

I'm a very happy go lucky guy emmet.

You'll all end up sober if you drink to me complaining!

There's no drinking in Bingo! Unless it's a nice cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

MattD wrote: »
    Some would be arguing Healy or O'Halloran deserved a call up more. McCloskey or Marshall are also better options to come off the bench in my mind in the first place. And that's as a Leinster fan.
    Defensively, Healy and O'Halloran need to improve before they could get near an international start. McCloskey and Marshall are not wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Boards Bingo anyone?

here's some ideas...

drink if...
    The Lost Sheep posts something in defence of the UBL
    jm08 says something outrageous and then spends 23 posts explaining how Leinster did it worse
    .ak likes your post
    Vaughn Happy Ramp and irishbucsfan have a 'who's the bigger know-all' competition, neither of them likely to give up
    Mahatma Geansai goes out of his way to post a disparaging remark about 'Joe'
    awec complains about the referee, or the weather, or anything really in general
    former total gets a new username
    jacothelad mentions a player you've never even heard of
    Billysays no has a good oul fashioned (post midnight) rant

Connachta makes the case that half the Connacht team should be in the Irish starting 15
    Swiwi mentions New Zealand
    Ouncer complains that it's the worst game he ever saw in his life
    Lucky lloyd appears if we lose
    Bilston asks us to spare a thought for Paddy Jackson
    A two day old account says that Ireland are an embarrassment and only succesful because hardly anyone even plays rugby anyway

Defensively, Healy and O'Halloran need to improve before they could get near an international start. McCloskey and Marshall are not wingers.

Healy and O'Halloran both on the score sheet tonight. Not doing their Irish chances any good. ;)

Tox56 wrote: »
    Connachta makes the case that half the Connacht team should be in the Irish starting 15
    Swiwi mentions New Zealand
    Ouncer complains that it's the worst game he ever saw in his life
    Lucky lloyd appears if we lose
    Bilston asks us to spare a thought for Paddy Jackson
    A two day old account says that Ireland are an embarrassment and only succesful because hardly anyone even plays rugby anyway

Down your drink as soon as a mod steps in to break things up.

Healy and O'Halloran both on the score sheet tonight. Not doing their Irish chances any good. ;)
    You know that's not what I said :p

You know that's not what I said :p

I know but it's a well known fact that Schmidt doesn't like try scoring wingers. It's why Gilroy never gets a look in.

I know but it's a well known fact that Schmidt doesn't like try scoring wingers. It's why Gilroy never gets a look in.
    Oh! A fact. As in Fact. End Of? ;)

• Advertisement

Oh! A fact. As in Fact. End Of? ;)

Now we're on the same page. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement