Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jacothelad wrote: »
    McCloskey has been playing at 12.

Do you realise that those figures for Ireland include just about every child in Primary School. They also include guys like me who is still a paying subscriber to a club but hasn't thrown a ball for almost 30 years.

Ah don't put yourself down Jaco, I'm sure you could still do a job at fullback... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Do you realise that those figures for Ireland include just about every child in Primary School. They also include guys like me who is still a paying subscriber to a club but hasn't thrown a ball for almost 30 years.
    The figures are doctored but you're slightly exaggerating things jaco....

Ticket prices for 6 Nations announced
    http://www.balls.ie/rugby/the-irfu-have-announced-the-ticket-prices-for-six-nations-2016/313322

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

@ leinster fans

Where will Luke Fitzgerald be playing this season - centre or wing? if it's been decided yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

derek foley in the Star is claiming there is a rift between the non leinster players and JS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

aimee1 wrote: »
    derek foley in the Star is claiming there is a rift between the non leinster players and JS.

Ah, the star.

Must be true.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

McCloskey has been playing 12.

I don't care where he's been playing, he'll play where I tell him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Any quotes or suggestions what caused it? Or is it just speculation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Any quotes or suggestions what caused it? Or is it just speculation?

Ah it's One F, he's mad as a box of frogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I've no idea who they include, they might even include me who hasn't played in a while, but gives an idea of the base or pool to select from - the number of professionals playing in a country means little to me, Argentina themselves probably have very fews , but those they have would be quality , whereas I'm sure many professionals in England or France for instance wouldn't be anywhere near international level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Here we go...

Watching the likes of Rory Best, Peter O'Mahony, Paul O'Connell and Chris Henry giving everything for the cause during WC makes.me think that is nonsense.

bilston wrote: »
    Here we go...

Watching the likes of Rory Best, Peter O'Mahony, Paul O'Connell and Chris Henry giving everything for the cause during WC makes.me think that is nonsense.

Unless O'Connell and O'Mahony got injured on purpose! Bowe and Payne too :eek:

.ak wrote: »
    Ah, the star.

Must be true.

true or not its the usual everything must be wrong nonsense. He bangs on about 2007 and compares the prep this time and lays into JS

JS = Johnny Sexton
    or
    JS = Joe Schmidt

?

JS = Johnny Sexton
    or
    JS = Joe Schmidt

?

JS = Joe

There is a backpage article that also claims sexton is going to quit international rugby because of the physical demands of it

will take pics and upload soon

Could I bother you to snap a pic of Page 3 whilst you're at it?
    There's an article on there about .... that I think was worth reading.

• Advertisement

pics of star article

pics of star article

I never doubted that this was written in the newspaper. I believed you. I don't believe them though.

Load of rubbish tbh. Not even worth reading. Just a bitter opinion piece.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sexton thing was true although would missing 5/6 games a year really make that much difference? He'd probably be lining out for Leinster instead for a few of those weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sexton thing was true although would missing 5/6 games a year really make that much difference? He'd probably be lining out for Leinster instead for a few of those weeks.
    he would be insane to retire from international rugby on his day he can be magical and would be a waste of his talent to playing in the pro 12 and ECC only. That miss vs the all blacks 2013 will haunt forever unless we beat them soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

He's contractually obliged to play internationals. He'd have to negotiate a release and go abroad. Not really plausible.

The "rift" thing is possible, even if very unlikely.

Fairly gas (and ignorant) to highlight that a player 'capable of outrageous matching-winning larceny' in Simon Zebo wasn't on the bench vs Argentina.

Correct.

Luke Fitzgerald was, and came on and laid the foundations for us getting back into the game.

Zebo not being on the bench was almost wholly irrelevant. If Fitz had come on and stank the pitch up, perhaps he'd have had somewhat of a modicum of a point!

'The 2015 crew had no outlet to alleviate their boredom'

IrishPlayersAltonTowersSep2015_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Fitz is from Leinster, I think that was his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That article is a massive pile of turd. He makes vague references to the rift and says it was all Joes fault followed by good news Joe is staying. Gutter press. Although thanks for the photo, meant not having to give them a click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭phog

pics of star article

"a coach" Is JS the only coach in the set up?

Either way, I doubt it's true. I'd think people are unhappy with not being selected or getting more gametime but that's surely a good thing. I'd have a bigger concern if the unused players were happy to be in the stand for the Italian, French & QF games.

Could I bother you to snap a pic of Page 3 whilst you're at it?
    There's an article on there about .... that I think was worth reading

sorry for the delay, never realised you were a big fan ..........

sorry for the delay, never realised you were a big fan ..........

mcfieling giving the jocky back there like a champ.

So now that we've seen the article, it doesn't actually say that at all.

So now that we've seen the article, it doesn't actually say that at all.

"rumours also swirled of a rift with the camp between the non leinster players and a coach they find difficult to understand and to strike up a relationship with"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

"Rumours also swirled"

What does that even mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

He overheard it down in the local.

Overheard the little voices in his head...

"rumours also swirled of a rift with the camp between the non leinster players and a coach they find difficult to understand and to strike up a relationship with"

What coach? Clearly not Easterby as he has no connection with Leinster (bar his brother), it can't be Kiss otherwise the first Ulster session next week will be a little awkward. I can't see it being Schmidt as I have never heard a negative thing said about him by players from Ulster or Munster before.

I was reading an article in the Indo today who very scientifically ranked the 31 players in order of who performed and who didn't perform at the WC.

However there was one interesting aspect to it and that was the age of each player in 2019. There were only 6 players from the original 31 who will be under 30 in 2019. Henshaw, Henderson, Jackson, Murphy, Zebo and Furlong. Ruddock who came along later is another but is the age profile of the squad a concern?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I was reading an article in the Indo today who very scientifically ranked the 31 players in order of who performed and who didn't perform at the WC.

However there was one interesting aspect to it and that was the age of each player in 2019. There were only 6 players from the original 31 who will be under 30 in 2019. Henshaw, Henderson, Jackson, Murphy, Zebo and Furlong. Ruddock who came along later is another but is the age profile of the squad a concern?

Why is that a concern? I'd imagine players are in their peak in their mid to late 20s(depending on the position you could easily argue it's actually later), suggesting that the majority of them would be in their 30s in 4 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

"Rumours also swirled"

That he started a rumor that swirled around the room back into his own ear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

What coach? Clearly not Easterby as he has no connection with Leinster (bar his brother), it can't be Kiss otherwise the first Ulster session next week will be a little awkward. I can't see it being Schmidt as I have never heard a negative thing said about him by players from Ulster or Munster before.

Remember 'Face doesn't fit' Cave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

jm08 wrote: »
    Remember 'Face doesn't fit' Cave?

But Cave wasn't competing with a Leinster player for his position.

I'm going to say this again.

THE STORY IS NOT REFERRING TO JOE

• Advertisement

Then who?

Not that it matters, the article is 100% bogus.

rrpc wrote: »
    But Cave wasn't competing with a Leinster player for his position.

:confused:

I know the article refers to a coach but do you know who it actually refers to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ok. Which coach? And what was the issue?

.ak wrote: »
    Then who?

Not that it matters, the article is 100% bogus.

We don't know if it's bogus at all, it's entirely possible that players don't work well with coaches, it happens all the time, unless we're seriously saying that these things happen everywhere else but not in Ireland, no way.

Less than a week ago, people were willing to believe that the French players had deposed their head coach and were picking the team themselves...

But the piece couldn't possibly be referring to Schmidt. It says the non-Leinster players didn't get on with a coach "they find difficult to understand and to strike up a relationship with". Now, Joe has been in place for two years. It's not plausible that guys are only now raising issues like this.

So it needs to be someone that the Leinster guys would be familiar with, but the others players not so much, and someone that is not so deeply established in the set-up that players would still only be getting used to him. It's not a long list.

phog wrote: »
    :confused:

Sorry, wrong article. Hadn't read the other one until just now.

Ignore :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We don't know if it's bogus at all, it's entirely possible that players don't work well with coaches, it happens all the time, unless we're seriously saying that these things happen everywhere else but not in Ireland, no way.

Less than a week ago, people were willing to believe that the French players had deposed their head coach and were picking the team themselves...

But the piece couldn't possibly be referring to Schmidt. It says the non-Leinster players didn't get on with a coach "they find difficult to understand and to strike up a relationship with". Now, Joe has been in place for two years. It's not plausible that guys are only now raising issues like this.

So it needs to be someone that the Leinster guys would be familiar with, but the others players not so much, and someone that is not so deeply established in the set-up that players would still only be getting used to him. It's not a long list.

I'm not sure that just because a problem hasn't been raised until now that it didn't exist before now. It may well have. But given the success it wasn't something that players felt they could say. Now that there's has been a real disappointment they could feel more at ease with talking about it.

That said I actually don't believe the story to be true at all.

I can't think of anyone that really fits the bill.

Easterby is the newest and he was never with Leinster.
    Greg Feek has been working with Ireland since 2010
    Richie Murphy has been working with the squad since before Joe
    Les Kiss goes back even further

Unless I'm missing someone, but the rest are more technical, support roles rather than coaching.

rrpc wrote: »
    I can't think of anyone that really fits the bill.

Easterby is the newest and he was never with Leinster.
    Greg Feek has been working with Ireland since 2010
    Richie Murphy has been working with the squad since before Joe
    Les Kiss goes back even further

Unless I'm missing someone, but the rest are more technical, support roles rather than coaching.

All of the above is correct, but if you're willing to consider the possibility that it's true, then there's really only one name you'll come up with.

I don't have any insider knowledge on this, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hmm..and rala is "retiring"?

I reckon there was a putsch and he was forced out.

/Swirling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

RuggieBear wrote: »
    hmm..and rala is "retiring"?

I reckon there was a putsch and he was forced out.

/Swirling

He only goes to Inisbofin to get away from the bullying he's subjected to by Joe

#overheardOneF

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement