Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

swiwi_ wrote: »
    What I would chuck out for the next game anyway from 9 to 15 and 21 to 23

Murray, Sexton, Earls, McCloskey, Henshaw, Zebo, Payne

Marmion, Jackson, (if only Fitzgerald was fit - not really sure for the 23 shirt, maybe Gilroy deserves a shot again...)

If going with your backline, probably Rob on the bench is the sensible option.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If going with your backline, probably Rob on the bench is the sensible option.

Sure he's not versatile enough, can't be having lads on the bench who can't play two or three positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Marmion, Jackson, (if only Fitzgerald was fit - not really sure for the 23 shirt, maybe Gilroy deserves a shot again...)

I'd swap Henshaw and Payne, today showed how critical Payne is to our defense, plus that would maintain a provincial partnership.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unfortuntaely swiwi I have as much chance of being picked for Ireland as Gilroy does.

There is no way too that the two Kearneys and Trimble will be dropped, and I genuinely would not be surprised to see Schmidt stick with McFadden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

awec wrote: »
    Unfortuntaely swiwi I have as much chance of being picked for Ireland as Gilroy does.

There is no way too that the two Kearneys and Trimble will be dropped, and I genuinely would not be surprised to see Schmidt stick with McFadden.

DK out for some time according to JS

awec wrote: »
    would not be surprised to see Schmidt stick with McFadden.

Assuming Earlsie and Zebo will be fit again, he probably wont. Disappointing to his fans here who might say he should hang on anyway, but unlikely. If they arent back though, McFadden could start in Twick. Word seems to be Dave is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

When does Schmidt get the criticism? Gilroy/Healy all better claims than McFadden. Not to mention McCloskey. With the prospect of winning the tournament gone the shrewd choice would be to blood McCloskey, Jackson, Marmion, Dillane and see how they go

slingerz wrote: »
    When does Schmidt get the criticism? Gilroy/Healy all better claims than McFadden. Not to mention McCloskey.

They dont have better 'claims'. There are no claims. 'Form' also is a red herring people trot out. This is not international rugby of old, where a few good games or showy displays for your club or province got you noticed and gave you a 'claim' to a starting international place - and amateur, or amateurish coaches and selectors (remember them : 5 of them !) would roll the dice on form players, hope they were up to international level, and that a team performance would gel and resutl. In many cases, players would have gotten their 'call-up' (wow, all these archaic terms) and been given 'a run'.

But that is the past. Form today, over a period, brings you into the extended squad. For training sessions over a year or more. Then maybe the restricted squad and some time in a minnow summer game, off the bench in the Autumn, or against the minnow in the AIs. Then, if you are still in form for your club, have done well in the minor trial games, and are fully up to speed and have the teams systems down pat in training, if an opening comes, you might get your chance. Flinging in the likes of Healy, Ringrose, FVdF, etc, is just the height of fancy in modern professional international rugby.
    Much of the chit-chat is still in the amateur era.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

swiwi_ wrote:

swiwi_ wrote:

swiwi_ wrote:

I like your selection. The fact that your a "foreigner" and a kiwi makes it more right ha!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Christ that was awfully depressing.

We are beginning to look like we are more conservative in selection and tactics now than we ever were under Kidney.

I believe that Schmidt is under huge pressure from the IRFU to keep the money coming in. This pressure is causing him to trust the lads he knows when push comes to shove and to take a low-risk approach. We are a very well drilled side, but the Joe Schmidt who wanted Leinster to be the best passing side in Europe is nowhere to be seen.

The IRFU don't want a side that plays good rugby and develops. They want a side that guarantees the bottom line year on year.

Murray kinsella says SoB is a hamstring injury and DK will be out for some time with AC joint injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Christ that was awfully depressing.

We are beginning to look like we are more conservative in selection and tactics now than we ever were under Kidney.

I believe that Schmidt is under huge pressure from the IRFU to keep the money coming in. This pressure is causing him to trust the lads he knows when push comes to shove and to take a low-risk approach. We are a very well drilled side, but the Joe Schmidt who wanted Leinster to be the best passing side in Europe is nowhere to be seen.

The IRFU don't want a side that plays good rugby and develops. They want a side that guarantees the bottom line year on year.

I don't think that is true MG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

They dont have better 'claims'. There are no claims. 'Form' also is a red herring people trot out. This is not international rugby of old, where a few good games or showy displays for your club or province got you noticed and gave you a 'claim' to a starting international place - and amateur, or amateurish coaches and selectors (remember them : 5 of them !) would roll the dice on form players, hope they were up to international level, and that a team performance would gel and resutl. In many cases, players would have gotten their 'call-up' (wow, all these archaic terms) and been given 'a run'.

But that is the past. Form today, over a period, brings you into the extended squad. For training sessions over a year or more. Then maybe the restricted squad and some time in a minnow summer game, off the bench in the Autumn, or against the minnow in the AIs. Then, if you are still in form for your club, have done well in the minor trial games, and are fully up to speed and have the teams systems down pat in training, if an opening comes, you might get your chance. Flinging in the likes of Healy, Ringrose, FVdF, etc, is just the height of fancy in modern professional international rugby.

That's pure rubbish in fairness. Do you reckon the players are so stupid that they couldn't get to grips with these 'systems'?? Not that the 'systems' are pulling up trees eithrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

But that is the past. Form today, over a period, brings you into the extended squad. For training sessions over a year or more. Then maybe the restricted squad and some time in a minnow summer game, off the bench in the Autumn, or against the minnow in the AIs. Then, if you are still in form for your club, have done well in the minor trial games, and are fully up to speed and have the teams systems down pat in training, if an opening comes, you might get your chance. Flinging in the likes of Healy, Ringrose, FVdF, etc, is just the height of fancy in modern professional international rugby. Much of the chit-chat is still in the amateur era.

You seemed to forget stander who proves your theory to be wrong.
    He was involved in one training camp and started on his debut in a 6N game.
    McCloskey like stander deserves a chance to showcase his talent on the international stage, henshaw moving to fullback would be the best option imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The centres aren't changing. Payne was very good today. He hit some hard lines and picked some nice angles as well, but defensively he was outstanding. Look like all Ulster fans I believe he is a better FB but I can see why he fits the bill for Ireland at 13. And while Robbie made a mistake for the try he was good apart from that. That is pretty much the first tackle I've seen him miss and even then he slipped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Would Stander have made his debut so soon if POM, SOB, Henderson and Henry were all fit last week?

He's done well and it seems he has made the step up to international rugby almost seamlessly but it's a different situation he was introduced in. To play McCloskey you're talking about dropping someone who is playing well just for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Would Stander have made his debut so soon if POM, SOB, Henderson and Henry were all fit last week?

He's done well and it seems he has made the step up to international rugby almost seamlessly but it's a different situation he was introduced in. To play McCloskey you're talking about dropping someone who is playing well just for the sake of it.

Rob Kearney isn't playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

With the Championship gone Ireland must make the most of this and introduce some new players to international rugby. Players that won't be around in 1-2 years shouldn't be used bar an injury crisis. Eoin Reddan is 35 and done. He is not that much better than other options available. Mike McCarthy had a good gane today but is 34 and coming to the end of his career. Nathan White is 34. England in Twickenham is going to be tough regardless of who we play. We should beat Scotland and Italy regardless of who we play. I'm not advocating changing 7 or 8 players but I'd like to see how new faces can integrate to the incumbents.

Let's give the management the benefit of the doubt until the selections are made. It's the first time under Schmidt that Ireland have been 'out' of the Six Nations. He may well use new players, aside from those forced due to injury.

You want McCloskey to play FB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Jesus people really want him on the pitch ! Wouldn't be surprised if he turned up as a goalpost at this rate...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

With the Championship gone Ireland must make the most of this and introduce some new players to international rugby. Players that won't be around in 1-2 years shouldn't be used bar an injury crisis. Eoin Reddan is 35 and done. He is not that much better than other options available. Mike McCarthy had a good gane today but is 34 and coming to the end of his career. Nathan White is 34. England in Twickenham is going to be tough regardless of who we play. We should beat Scotland and Italy regardless of who we play. I'm not advocating changing 7 or 8 players but I'd like to see how new faces can integrate to the incumbents.

Let's give the management the benefit of the doubt until the selections are made. It's the first time under Schmidt that Ireland have been 'out' of the Six Nations. He may well use new players, aside from those forced due to injury.

would you take last place if we were to give debuts to say, 6 players before the end of the competition?

6 carries for over 50 metres and made a few half breaks. Dont think its fair to say he isnt playing well.

He isnt the problem. He came into the line a few times today and was those times we looked most likely to get the decisive scores

Pretty obvious no? McCloskey in and henshaw to 15.
    Olding is a good shout for the bench also, vastly superior player to McFadden.

sydthebeat wrote:
    would you take last place if we were to give debuts to say, 6 players before the end of the competition?

Who are the 6 players? No one is advocating that.
    Dillane and McCloskey are two uncapped players who should see game time and they won't be the reason if we finish last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sydthebeat wrote: »

Strange question (which 6 players?) but on balance: Yes. The placing is irrelevant to me now.

case885 wrote: »
    Pretty obvious no? McCloskey in and henshaw to 15.
    Olding is a good shout for the bench also, vastly superior player to McFadden.

You're missing the point of what my original post was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Strange question (which 6 players?) but on balance: Yes. The placing is irrelevant to me now.
    Exactly, who gives a ****.
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

aimee1 wrote: »
    6 carries for over 50 metres and made a few half breaks. Dont think its fair to say he isnt playing well.

He isnt the problem. He came into the line a few times today and was those times we looked most likely to get the decisive scores

Last week, 7 linebreaks. This week, 0.

jm08 wrote: »
    Last week, 7 linebreaks. This week, 0.

Thats not down to RK. He came into the line 2-3 times today and very nearly got clear a few times. He tried one offload when it wasnt on . Our biggest issues in attack to me seem to be in the centres. It is a manufactured midfield and McCloskey needs to be given a go there. If that means Henshaw gets a go at full back with an eye on the future then it needs to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Thats not down to RK. He came into the line 2-3 times today and very nearly got clear a few times. He tried one offload when it wasnt on . Our biggest issues in attack to me seem to be in the centres. It is a manufactured midfield and McCloskey needs to be given a go there. If that means Henshaw gets a go at full back with an eye on the future then it needs to happen.

Zebo last week: 1 clean Breaks. 4 Defenders beaten.
    Kearney this week: 0 Clean Breaks. 0 Defenders beaten.

The same centre partnership last week v. Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

RK and very nearly.
    Time moves on. He is no longer very nearly. He is disappointing

different games with different styles from opponent. Doesnt reflect on a player this week.

Time moves on. He is no longer very nearly. He is disappointing

He was our only player to look like making a break. Taking the ball at pace. Several others dropped the ball multiple times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Zebo is injured. It's kind of irrelevant what he did in a different game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

He was our only player to look like making a break. Taking the ball at pace. Several others dropped the ball multiple times.
    Wow. So he looked like he could make a break or did he in fact make a break. I do have poor memory but am searching archives to remember rob Kearney as he used to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

different games with different styles from opponent. Doesnt reflect on a player this week.

*bookmarked*

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Poor game devoid of any quality.

The pressure mounts on Joe. His career is on s downward spiral unless he acts promptly. He needs to ring Cotter and be reminded of what made him successful @ Clermont.

Noves must be laughing tonight. A shambolic French team pulled off a heroic result, beating Ireland by a point. Laughable if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Just pointing out - we are currently down one defence coach so Joe is having to take on a lot more work than he normally would.

Just pointing out - we are currently down one defence coach so Joe is having to take on a lot more work than he normally would.

And some would argue our defence is the only part of our game still functioning well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

2nd place is as good as last. If you're not in a position to win it, everything else is just rearranging deck chairs at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Noves had six new caps in his match day 23 on the first day. Jones had three, none of whom had been in the EPS before; Lancaster capped I honestly can't remember how many. Gatland had none, but that's largely because he's probably capped more teenagers than any other man out there. New Zealand rocked up to the World Cup with two brand new wingers in Naholo and Milner-Skudder. I wish I had time to sketch out the point fully, but it really isn't unusual to see players given the nod for big internationals in only their first or second international window spent with the squad.

Not to say the slow and measured approach is wrong. It isn't. You can see plenty of coaches going for it from time to time, particularly with younger players. But neither is plucking out a highly talented player in form, giving him a crash course, and saying "Good luck, we're all counting on you", wrong or amateur or a flight of fancy or anything like that either. Or all the approaches in between. They're all right when they work, wrong when they don't; and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

And some would argue our defence is the only part of our game still functioning well.

Defence is the easiest part to function well, in my opinion.

Developing a playing style that allows you to score tries against a well-drilled defence would be a much harder task.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

For England:

1. McGrath
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan
    5. Toner
    6. Stander
    7. Ruddock
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Earls
    12. Henshaw
    13. Payne
    14. Trimble
    15. Kearney

16. Cronin
    17. Cronin
    18. Furlong
    19. Dillane
    20. TOD
    21. Marmion
    22. Jackson
    23. Zebo

I know it's time to try a few guys out, but getting a hiding away to England wont help any of the young players

For Italy/Scotland:

1. Cronin
    2. Best
    3. Furlong
    4. Dillane
    5. Toner
    6. Stander
    7. VDF
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Jackson
    11. Earls
    12. McCloskey
    13. Henshaw
    14. Gilroy
    15. Payne

16. Cronin
    17. Buckley
    18. White
    19. Ryan
    20. Ruddock
    21. Marmion
    22. Sexton
    23. Zebo/Olding

That 23 would beat Italy and give Scotland a right good game which I'd still expect us to win narrowly, being at home. Decent mixture of youth and experience and everybody is playing in their natural positions. The starting 15 are all guys who will have been in the squad for the guts of what, 2 months at that stage? They should all know the systems etc. well enough by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I don't expect to see a huge change in the squad unless forced by injury. The fact seeding's are decided this year makes it more likely nothing will change.

If players like McC, Gilroy and Jackson are brought in without injuries forcing it. It would almost be like admitting the original selections were wrong, no coach would want that so I expect a fairly static selection rest of 6n

Wow. So he looked like he could make a break or did he in fact make a break. I do have poor memory but am searching archives to remember rob Kearney as he used to be

If you watched the game you will have noticed Kearney coming into the line in similar fashion to leinster under JS. People bemoaned ireland not playing like leinster under JS but there has been glimpses of this the past two weeks. It just hasnt worked out for us as well as it could have.

Ireland did the donkey work to get good field position but a number of poor things such as overthrown lineout, dropping the ball numerous times and poor protection at rucks killed momentum and gave turnovers and penalties

The team doesnt require wholesale change or a new approach tactics wise. It needs a few new faces and some minor tactical changes. I wouldn't expect much change for england but for the two home games McCloskey, Dillane, Furlong, Marmion, Jackson must get meaningful gametime. Two week* lead in after the england game. Id also like to see Henshaw get a go at 15 with a view to the future.

*know players have time off but still plenty of time to implement a few new faces for Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Yeah, its such a pity that a certain defence coach just walked away and gave no notice at all he was leaving

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

2nd place is as good as last. If you're not in a position to win it, everything else is just rearranging deck chairs at that point.

But you see that's COMPLETELY WRONG.

in a rwc selection year.... Second absolutely is not the same as last.

After yesterday, and if we get beat by England, we will be sitting in 8th position. A loss to Scotland will improve their rankings and they will be challenging us for that spot.

With the games we have coming up in the summer and Autumn.... We could quite easily end up 3rd seed in rwc 2016, especially if we experiment now

Beating England is a real goal now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Yeah, its such a pity that a certain defence coach just walked away and gave no notice at all he was leaving

It's also not a lot more than he normally would given he did it the entire time he was at Leinster. Not a valid excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

But you see that's COMPLETELY WRONG.

in a rwc selection year.... Second absolutely is not the same as last.

After yesterday, and if we get beat by England, we will be sitting in 8th position. A loss to Scotland will improve their rankings and they will be challenging us for that spot.

With the games we have coming up in the summer and Autumn.... We could quite easily end up 3rd seed in rwc 2016, especially if we experiment now

Beating England is a real goal now

Without being all doom and gloom...

Does the seedings matter that much?

We got no further last year having a good seeding. And Eng had a good seeding for the last one... didn't help.

Would 'dropping' to the 3rd rank seed but getting a team into a RWC cycle (which Schmidt could take the idea way - fingers crossed) be such a bad idea?

I agree though, the 6N is the breadwinner and I think the IRFU will pressure Schmidt for results. Living in England the amount of abuse I get when Ireland don't win is insane, hopefully we get a few people back from injuries before Eng match!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Apologies for the double post but:

Who all are we expecting to be back in contention by the Eng game?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement