Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Declan Fitzpatrick was given a central contract in January 2014.

Declan.

Fitzpatrick.

Can we agree that getting a central contract may not be a foolproof indication of anything?

That looks like an Ulster contract to me. It was announced with Stephen Ferris (who had lost his central contract) and the only quote is from David Humphreys . For Ryan's contract there are quotes from Philip Browne and Rob Penney.
    IRFU Chief Executive Philip Browne said: "Donnacha has proven his worth to Irish rugby with his intelligent and high intensity performances for both Munster and Ireland. The IRFU are delighted to secure his future in Ireland for the next three years."

With regard to Fitzpatrick - I think that might have had more to do with John Afoa leaving than anything else.

http://www.the42.ie/stephen-ferris-ulster-fitzpatrick-1256932-Jan2014/

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fitzpatrick definitely got a central deal.

I remember it because it was at the time when the talk was that Heaslip and O'Brien were heading to France and there was frustration at the IRFU spending money on Fitzpatrick instead of those two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

jm08 wrote: »
    That looks like an Ulster contract to me. It was announced with Stephen Ferris (who had lost his central contract) and the only quote is from David Humphreys . For Ryan's contract there are quotes from Philip Browne and Rob Penney.

No, Fitzpatrick got a central contract. A man who had one start for the national team. One start, ever.

I don't even know what your point is, I doubt you do either, but your facts are wrong.

Central Contracts are not Insurance.

How many central contracts were there then? How many now?
    Link?

Of course I don't. Not sure that has to do with anything. You are the person who suggested that we infer from the awarding of a central contract that the person is deemed to be an international starter. You are the one who must make that case in light of the offered examples of both Leamy and Fitzpatrick which suggest otherwise.

Cool. Tangential to the discussion, not really got anything to do with your statement about Ryan's contract suggesting him as a starter though?

You ignoring the examples which directly contradict the logic that you're trying to apply to Ryan's contract offer.

Declan Fitzpatrick didn't get a Central Contract.

You know its a Central Contract if the announcement includes a quote from Nucifora (and before his appointment Philip Browne).

This fact doesn't suit my argument, so I'm just going to flatly deny that it's true

He got a central contract.

You know its a Central Contract if the announcement includes a quote from Nucifora (and before his appointment Philip Browne).

Article you linked with details of Fitzpatrick's contract date is Jan 9th 2014, 5:38 PM

This press release here announcing Nucifora's role is dated
    17 April 2014 13:08

Try again. Unless time travel is part of the next attempt?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That looks like an Ulster contract to me.

no it was a central contract, for 2 years

http://www.emeraldrugby.com/_page-flip/Contents/Feb14cts/files/assets/common/downloads/publication.pdf

No, Fitzpatrick got a central contract. A man who had one start for the national team. One start, ever.

I don't even know what your point is, I doubt you do either, but your facts are wrong.

You have produced no evidence that Fitzpatrick was on a Central Contract.

Yes, he did.
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/28816.php

Declan Fitzpatrick, who has been capped seven times for Ireland, has signed a new two-year Irish contract that will keep him at Ulster until at least the summer of 2016.

• Advertisement

You have produced no evidence that Fitzpatrick was on a Central Contract.

Siiigh.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/28816.php
    Declan Fitzpatrick, who has been capped seven times for Ireland, has signed a new two-year Irish contract that will keep him at Ulster until at least the summer of 2016

sydthebeat wrote: »

The only reference I can see in that publication is this at the bottom of the major signings:

In addition to this, Rory Best (2yrs), John Muldoon (2yrs), Donncha Ryan (3 yrs), Declan Fitzpatrick (2yrs), Conor Murray (2yrs) and Keith Earls (2yrs) have also signed new IRFU contracts which will help ensure the home based supporters will continue to be able to watch Ireland’s best players in action week in week out for their province.

John Muldoon didn't have a central contract, and he is included along with the others who did get them.

Press Releases to demonstrate the difference between the contracts:

from IRFU website:
    The IRFU and Munster are pleased to announce that Donnacha Ryan has signed a new three-year contract with the IRFU which will see him remain at Munster until at least June 2017.

Donnacha Ryan made his senior debut for Munster against the Ospreys in September 2004. The Munster Rugby Academy graduate has made 123 appearances for the province and has scored seven tries.
    He made his Ireland debut in the 17-3 win over Argentina in November 2008. The 30-year-old has won 28 caps for Ireland. His last appearance for Ireland was in the final game of last season's RBS 6 Nations against Italy.

IRFU Chief Executive Philip Browne said: "Donnacha has proven his worth to Irish rugby with his intelligent and high intensity performances for both Munster and Ireland. The IRFU are delighted to secure his future in Ireland for the next three years."

Munster head coach Rob Penney added: "We are delighted that Donnacha has signed a new IRFU contract which will ensure that he remains a Munster player until the end of the 2017 season.

"Donnacha's quality and versatility will continue to be major asset for the squad as well as the key leadership role he plays both on and off the field."

Commenting on the new IRFU-funded contract, Donnacha Ryan said: "I am delighted to sign a new IRFU contract and to continue my playing career with Munster. It is an exciting time to be involved in Irish rugby and I hope to play an important role in achieving success for both Munster and Ireland."
    The IRFU and Ulster Rugby are pleased to announce that forwards Declan Fitzpatrick and Stephen Ferris have both agreed new contracts

Declan Fitzpatrick, who has been capped seven times for Ireland, has signed a new two-year Irish contract that will keep him at Ulster until at least the summer of 2016.

The tighthead prop made his debut for Ulster against Biarritz in 2006. He has played 86 times for Ulster, scoring two tries. His last international cap appearance was against the All Blacks in November.

Commenting on the new contract for the 30-year-old front rower, Ulster's director of rugby David Humphreys said: "Declan is a hugely important member of our squad and has proved at both provincial and international level that he is a top performer.

"His opportunities have been restricted in recent seasons due to injury, so it is great to see him fully fit and playing some of the best rugby of his career. I am delighted that he has committed to Ulster for a further two years."
    Stephen Ferris has signed a short-term extension to enable him to continue his rehabilitation from the injury that he sustained against Edinburgh in November 2012.

While the former British & Irish Lions flanker (28) has made great progress, no date has yet been set for his return to action with Ulster.
    Humphreys added: "Stephen has shown remarkable drive and determination over the past year as he has worked to overcome the injury that has kept him out for so long.

"We are committed to helping him in every way possible and his new contract extension will mean that he will continue to have the best medical, physiotherapy and strength and conditioning teams around him, to help his recovery."

you literally quoted the bit that said he got a central contract...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Did this whole argument stem from the idea that Donnacha Ryan getting a new central contract meant he was a guaranteed starter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Just admit you were wrong.

Hanging a central contract on the use of the word Irish. Could have been someone using a template for someone else.

The way you know is by who issues the Press Release first of all and if it has a quote from either Philip Browne or David Nucifora.

If it is only the Provincial coach/representative - its not a central contract. Go check the ones we know who have central contracts and you will see that is what they all have in common - quotes from IRFU & Province (sometimes).

Keith Earls central contract renewal in 2014 announcement:
    The IRFU and Munster Rugby are pleased to announce that Keith Earls has signed a new two year contract with the IRFU which will see him remain at the province until at least June 2016.

Keith made his senior debut for Munster against the Ospreys in April 2007. The Munster Rugby academy graduate has made 91 appearances for Munster scoring 26 tries.

He made his Ireland debut in the 55-0 win over Canada in Thomond Park in November 2008. The 26 year old has won 39 caps for Ireland scoring 12 tries.
    Earls was Ireland's top try scorer at RWC11 with 5 tries and he toured with the Lions in 2009. His last appearance for Ireland was in the final game of last year's 6 Nations against Italy.

IRFU, CEO, Philip Browne, said, "Keith is a proven finisher and has shown guile and determination throughout his rugby career for both Munster and Ireland. We wish him a speedy recovery from his recent injury and look forward to seeing Keith play for Munster and Ireland over the next 2 years."

Munster Coach Rob Penney said; "We are delighted that Keith has signed a new IRFU contract which will see him remain a Munster player until the end of the 2016 season. Keith is an exciting player whose speed and acceleration can cause havoc for opposition defenses. As a senior member of the squad he will play a huge role in the future success of the province."

• Advertisement

Did this whole argument stem from the idea that Donnacha Ryan getting a new central contract meant he was a guaranteed starter?

It stems from this comment and the inaccuracy of him only featured in the 2013 6Ns.
    Donnacha Ryan tends to get overstated on here, he's 32 years old and has only featured in one 6N as a starter, 2013. He's suffered with injuries the last few years but he still hasn't shown enough in his career to claim that he would have been or will be a certain starter for Ireland.

I contend that that he has shown enough in his career to get a 3 Year Central Contract from Uncle Joe.

It stems from this comment and the inaccuracy of him only featured in the 2013 6Ns.

I contend that that he has shown enough in his career to get a 3 Year Central Contract from Uncle Joe.

What's the relevance of a Central Contract though, other than keeping the player in Ireland. The deal could just as likely have been to ensure his Munster future rather than his international one. A CC means the IRFU pay the wages, right? And he's there and available IF they need him. It doesn't necessarily mean they see him as a first choice player.

you literally quoted the bit that said he got a central contract...

It said Irish contract, not IRFU contract which is how D Ryan's and Keith Earls central contracts are announced.

I can't find another contract announcement that describes a contract as 'Irish'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Hanging a central contract on the use of the word Irish. Could have been someone using a template for someone else.

The way you know is by who issues the Press Release first of all and if it has a quote from either Philip Browne or David Nucifora.

If it is only the Provincial coach/representative - its not a central contract. Go check the ones we know who have central contracts and you will see that is what they all have in common - quotes from IRFU & Province (sometimes).

Keith Earls central contract renewal in 2014 announcement:

Seriously, you need to learn when to stop digging.

In regards to Declan Fitzpatrick, is he still playing? I try to watch Ulster whenever I get the chance and I don't remember seeing him recently. In fairness, I never thought he was that good and about 10 guys would need to be injured before he gets a green jersey again.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

In regards to Declan Fitzpatrick, is he still playing? I try to watch Ulster whenever I get the chance and I don't remember seeing him recently. In fairness, I never thought he was that good and about 10 guys would need to be injured before he gets a green jersey again.

unfortunately retired due to concussion issues :(

• Advertisement

He had to retire from concussion, last year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Feel for Deccie Fitz, he really was a very solid scrummager.

Yes. It's the new way of selecting the match day 23. Only players with central contracts can be picked.

rsh118 wrote: »
    Feel for Deccie Fitz, he really was a very solid scrummager.

More than a scrummager tbh. Had a great cameo vs the ABs I thought.

Now I feel kinda bad for having a dig at him.:o

And it's passed.

Yes. It's the new way of selecting the match day 23. Only players with central contracts can be picked.

yeah... such a "poor mouth" argument

It said Irish contract, not IRFU contract which is how D Ryan's and Keith Earls central contracts are announced.

I can't find another contract announcement that describes a contract as 'Irish'.

Rory Best, undisputed first choice and Irish captain, only got an "Irish contract"
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/36323.php#.VsXFCvmLRpg

Andrew Trimble, he's not too bad:
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34003.php#.VsXFPfmLRpg

Renowned journeyman Tommy Bowe:
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/mobile/news/32959.php

I await the next twist in the tale with what can only be described as morbid fascination.

What's the relevance of a Central Contract though, other than keeping the player in Ireland. The deal could just as likely have been to ensure his Munster future rather than his international one. A CC means the IRFU pay the wages, right? And he's there and available IF they need him. It doesn't necessarily mean they see him as a first choice player.

The relevance is that IRFU central contracts are worth more than a Provincial Contract and the Ireland coaching staff manage playing time - i.e., first priority is Ireland, not Province.

He has shown enough though to suggest that the IRFU considered him a first choice player as at that stage he and POC were the only 2 Locks with Ireland CC contracts. Toner was still on a Provincial Contract back then and has only recently now secured one.

It seems all the players want them - Marty Moore wanted one and is now heading off to England.

What do you think an "Irish" contract is then?

They're just contracted to play international rugby and don't have to play for a province?

9b53351ca4b3ec5c2ed117dbf9b42c4a.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

awec wrote: »
    9b53351ca4b3ec5c2ed117dbf9b42c4a.png

Grammar Nazi, but its important to get SW details right : Should be "Digging, stop you must".

Rory Best, undisputed first choice and Irish captain, only got an "Irish contract"
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/36323.php#.VsXFCvmLRpg

Andrew Trimble, he's not too bad:
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34003.php#.VsXFPfmLRpg

Renowned journeyman Tommy Bowe:
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/mobile/news/32959.php

I await the next twist in the tale with what can only be described as morbid fascination.

Thanks for linking all of those. You will notice that all of those three Central Contracts have a quote from Nucifora and an Ulster Representative (Logan/ Kiss or Bryn). Using 'Irish' must be an Ulster thing as the other Provinces refer to contracts as IRFU

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/muldoon-extends-impressive-career-at-connacht/#ConnachtNews

I've have brought to your attention that on the Declan Fitzpatrick / Stephen Ferris joint announcement, only David Humphreys is quoted and the42 goes onto say that securing Declan Fitz was important as John Afoa was leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The relevance is that IRFU central contracts are worth more than a Provincial Contract and the Ireland coaching staff manage playing time - i.e., first priority is Ireland, not Province.

He has shown enough though to suggest that the IRFU considered him a first choice player as at that stage he and POC were the only 2 Locks with Ireland CC contracts. Toner was still on a Provincial Contract back then and has only recently now secured one.

It seems all the players want them - Marty Moore wanted one and is now heading off to England.

Hold on a second here...

You are making no sense here at all.....

is your point that Irish players with central contracts are treated better than Irish players without a central contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I wonder what price the pints will be in Twickers?
    How many burgers will they sell?
    How many pints of Guinness will the cabbage patch pub sell?

Everybody, please engage with my new direction of gripping questions; answer them, add your own, for the love of BOD anything but this

What do you think an "Irish" contract is then?

They're just contracted to play international rugby and don't have to play for a province?

I think it is how Ulster write their Press Releases. Both Munster & Connacht refer to them as IRFU rather than Irish.

Leinster lump them all together, but still refers to them as new IRFU contracts (even though they are Provincial contracts - they mention that SOB is on a central contract in the press release).

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/14649.php#.VsXLvOntBUQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

dub_skav wrote: »
    I wonder what price the pints will be in Twickers?
    How many burgers will they sell?
    How many pints of Guinness will the cabbage patch pub sell?

Everybody, please engage with my new direction of gripping questions; answer them, add your own, for the love of BOD anything but this

Depends on if the vendors are on central contracts or....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hold on a second here...

is your point that Irish players with central contracts are treated better than Irish players without a central contract?
    The whole point is to drag the discussion out to the point where nobody remembers what the point was and he can claim he was right all along. :rolleyes:

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hold on a second here...

If you regard being better paid, yes they are treated better.

That is incorrect but I am sure you will post 50 times to try and convince me you are correct but you will still be incorrect:P

• Advertisement

I will quote yourself in regards to this
    I do recall that Luke Fitzgerald was offered a central contract at the time at a reduced level which he turned down and which the IRFU later withdrew.

Luke rejected the IRFU contract and got a better contract direct from Leinster.

So you can now start to argue with yourself :P

The whole point is to drag the discussion out to the point where nobody remembers what the point was and he can claim he was right all along. :rolleyes:

The point was that Donnacha Ryan was highly regarded by Uncle Joe as he got a 3 year Central Contract.

The secondary debate is whether Declan Fitzpatrick had a central contract or not.

Those who claim he had are hanging it on the use of the word 'Irish contracts' in Ulster Press Releases whereas the other Provinces refer to them as 'IRFU contracts'.

For me the deciding factor is who is quoted.

For Central Contracts you will get a combination of Nucifora/Browne and Provincial Coach/CEO

For Provincial contracts, you will get a quote only from the Provincial Coach/CEO.

Please note that they are all IRFU contracts.

I'd just like to say I'm sorry to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

""We've got to win the Aussie Rules contest," said Jones.
    "That is the first thing we have got to do. They kick 60pc of their possession. If we can win that Aussie Rules battle, we will go a long way to winning the game.
    "Ireland are a clever side. They're one of the best-coached sides in world rugby, full stop. They're very resourceful. They've chosen to go in this direction in terms of their style of play and they've won the last two Six Nations titles doing it. Who am I to criticise them?"

LOLOLOL

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/england-coach-eddie-jones-in-aussie-rules-jibe-at-ireland-34463713.html

The point was that Donnacha Ryan was highly regarded by Uncle Joe as he got a 3 year Central Contract.
    Are you sure that contracts and their agreement is in the domain of Joe Schmidt?

Especially since (as you say) their announcement is made by either Nucifora or before him Browne.

"That is the first thing we have got to do. They kick 60pc of their possession. If we can win that Aussie Rules battle, we will go a long way to winning the game.
    "Ireland are a clever side. They're one of the best-coached sides in world rugby, full stop. They're very resourceful. They've chosen to go in this direction in terms of their style of play and they've won the last two Six Nations titles doing it. Who am I to criticise them?"

LOLOLOL

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/england-coach-eddie-jones-in-aussie-rules-jibe-at-ireland-34463713.html
    He's such a joker that Eddie Jones lad. 60% of possession kicked :D

Now the real question is what he's trying to acheive with that grossly exaggerated stat. Stop us kicking?

• Advertisement

I think it is how Ulster write their Press Releases. Both Munster & Connacht refer to them as IRFU rather than Irish.

So they're the same thing, just worded differently, is what you're saying.

But....

For me the deciding factor is who is quoted.

For Central Contracts you will get a combination of Nucifora/Browne and Provincial Coach/CEO

For Provincial contracts, you will get a quote only from the Provincial Coach/CEO.

Please note that they are all IRFU contracts.

.... only if they have quotes from one or both of these people on the press release.

So essentially there are IRFU central contracts, Irish contracts, provincial contracts but they're all IRFU contracts....

Have I got that right?

LOLOLOL

Send on eddie this video and say it is from the France match : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRBaGMMKCCs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

LOLOLOL

England's ganmeplan in the first two matches under Jones has been to leather the ball up in the air as soon as they got into the opposition half. Who are you to criticize is right Eddie!

Are you sure that contracts and their agreement is in the domain of Joe Schmidt?

Especially since (as you say) their announcement is made by either Nucifora or before him Browne.

I'd imagine that Joe Schmdt would have input on Central Contracts only.

So they're the same thing, just worded differently, is what you're saying.

But....

.... only if they have quotes from one or both of these people on the press release.

So essentially there are IRFU central contracts, Irish contracts, provincial contracts but they're all IRFU contracts....

Have I got that right?

Yes you have. They are all IRFU contracts with different grades (with Central Contract being the best grade).

Edit: I saw somewhere recently that the IRFU give the first 90K towards a Senior Provincial Contract, and the Province have to come up with the rest from their own resources.

A Central Contract is fully paid by IRFU from central funds.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement