Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

""We've got to win the Aussie Rules contest," said Jones.
    "That is the first thing we have got to do. They kick 60pc of their possession. If we can win that Aussie Rules battle, we will go a long way to winning the game.
    "Ireland are a clever side. They're one of the best-coached sides in world rugby, full stop. They're very resourceful. They've chosen to go in this direction in terms of their style of play and they've won the last two Six Nations titles doing it. Who am I to criticise them?"

LOLOLOL

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/england-coach-eddie-jones-in-aussie-rules-jibe-at-ireland-34463713.html

He also said this:
    “Look, we haven’t played anyone yet,” he said looking back on the 9 – 40 win away to Italy.
    “We haven’t done anything yet this season, let’s be honest about it. The tests are to come. I want to be respectful, but we were playing Italy on Sunday."

What a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jm08 wrote: »
    Yes you have. They are all IRFU contracts with different grades (with Central Contract being the best grade).

Edit: I saw somewhere recently that the IRFU give the first 90K towards a Senior Provincial Contract, and the Province have to come up with the rest from their own resources.

A Central Contract is fully paid by IRFU from central funds.

They are not different grades. They are with different bodies. You cant employ someone and leave any vagueness about their employer. Munster players are contracted to Munster and centrally contracted players are contracted directly to the IRFU.

If it was just different grades of the same thing when why bother to make the distinction at all, why not just contract every player in Irish rugby to the IRFU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I'd imagine that Joe Schmdt would have input on Central Contracts only.

Your imagination is running wild.

MJohnston wrote: »
    He also said this:

What a dick.

You think he'd be more humble coming from Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

They are not different grades. They are with different bodies. You cant employ someone and leave any vagueness about their employer. Munster players are contracted to Munster and centrally contracted players are contracted directly to the IRFU.

If it was just different grades of the same thing when why bother to make the distinction at all, why not just contract every player in Irish rugby to the IRFU?

Tommy O'Donnell has a Provincial Contract. This is how it was announced:

Munster Rugby and the IRFU are pleased to confirm that Tommy O'Donnell has signed a three-year deal that will see him remain with the province until at least June 2019.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/36383.php#.VsXWOuntBUQ

They are all IRFU employees, some report to Province, some report to Head Office.

It might be different with Ulster, as it is based in a different jurisdiction to the IRFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

You have a lot of free time on your hands jm08. A lot of free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

He also said this:

What a dick.

Ah its all in good fun, I love the banter, this "respectful to a fault", "dont give them any motivation" stuff is boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster Rugby and the IRFU are pleased to confirm that Tommy O'Donnell has signed a three-year deal that will see him remain with the province until at least June 2019.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/36383.php#.VsXWOuntBUQ

They are all IRFU employees, some report to Province, some report to Head Office.

It might be different with Ulster, as it is based in a different jurisdiction to the IRFU.

That means absolutely nothing. You put way way too much focus on inconsistent press releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Isn't every rugby player in Ireland a member of the IRFU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He also said this:

What a dick.

Ah bring it on!

I got all confused by the friendly likeable England under Lancaster. It feels a lot more natural to dislike them and Jones should be just the ticket for ensuring that happens.

In truth the arrogant approach suits England more anyway. There is meant to be a compliment in there somewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

bilston wrote: »
    Ah bring it on!

I got all confused by the friendly likeable England under Lancaster. It feels a lot more natural to dislike them and Jones should be just the ticket for ensuring that happens.

In truth the arrogant approach suits England more anyway. There is meant to be a compliment in there somewhere...

This approach suits Jones because no matter the outcome he comes out looking well. They win he can say "well, now we've played a "real" team and we beat them so well done us". If they lose he can say "well, like I said, it's a work in progress, I've only been working with the team x weeks and Ireland are the best coached side in the world and we'll learn from this and move on".

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

So, Payne extends his Ulster contract..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

So, Payne extends his Ulster contract..

To clarify after the lunacy of the preceding 19 pages, it's an Irish, i.e. central, contract.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/36953.php#.VsXfe_mLRMw

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

To clarify after the lunacy of the preceding 19 pages, it's an Irish, i.e. central, contract.

Does he get paid in pounds or Euro's then haha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A little bit odd at how many quality backs Ulster are hoarding.

Rugby is an attritional game, but there's no way they can keep every one of those players happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Clegg wrote: »
    A little bit odd at how many quality backs Ulster are hoarding.

Rugby is an attritional game, but there's no way they can keep every one of those players happy.

The Leinster backrow conveyor belt dislikes this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ah its all in good fun, I love the banter, this "respectful to a fault", "dont give them any motivation" stuff is boring.

Quick, he used the dreaded b-word, GET HIM

That means absolutely nothing. You put way way too much focus on inconsistent press releases.

The words kettle and pot come to mind!

What are doing when you claim that Declan Fitzpatrick is on a central contract with the words 'Irish contract' or do you have a better source.:D

and it has a quote from Nucifora and Kiss :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

its_phil wrote: »
    The Leinster backrow conveyor belt dislikes this

Well tbf the back row is one of the more likelier positions to pick up an injury. You need as many options as you can get. Plus it's spread across 3 jerseys. Ulster now have five players to two positions. Even if you discount Payne as a centre and only regard him as a FB then he still has Piutau to compete with. Move Piutau to the wing and one of Trimble, Bowe or Gilroy misses out.

The words kettle and pot come to mind!

What are doing when you claim that Declan Fitzpatrick is on a central contract with the words 'Irish contract' or do you have a better source.:D
    I think you are confusing posters. I'm sure ibf can answer for himself but I'm almost certain that it was someone else who brought up the Declan FitzPatrick situation.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well tbf the back row is one of the more likelier positions to pick up an injury. You need as many options as you can get. Plus it's spread across 3 jerseys. Ulster now have five players to two positions. Even if you discount Payne as a centre and only regard him as a FB then he still has Piutau to compete with. Move Piutau to the wing and one of Trimble, Bowe or Gilroy misses out.

Brilliant, isn't it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Weren't Payne, Bowe and Trimble all out for significant amount of time in past year though?

So which players of importance are not on Central Contracts and when are their current contracts up?

Obviously who is or isn't considered important is open to interpretation.

Given we're talking about Ulster's backs a bit there, Paddy Jackson, not on a central contract and his deal is up next year. Would assume with Madigan going to France that would be an important one to get done next season? Or does it matter if it's a central contract or not, as long as he stays with Ulster?

Anyone else?

EDIT: Just realised the thing I was looking at for Jackson says 2016 and it is in fact 2016... has he signed a newer contract recently?

These guys will never all be available at the same time though. There have been times this year where we have had to play Sam Arnold on the wing and we have only had two fit centres in the squad in McCloskey and Marshall. Ulster's aim is to have two sides of equal merit. Apart from half back and back row (a significant chunk of the team admittedly) we are there.

• Advertisement

So which players of importance are not on Central Contracts and when are their current contracts up?

Given we're talking about Ulster's backs a bit there, Paddy Jackson, not on a central contract and his deal is up next year. Would assume with Madigan going to France that would be an important one to get done next season? Or does it matter if it's a central contract or not, as long as he stays with Ulster?

Anyone else?

EDIT: Just realised the thing I was looking at for Jackson says 2016 and it is in fact 2016... has he signed a newer contract recently?

PJ hasn't re-signed contract yet. I'd imagine it will be an Ulster one for the time being as Sexton is the main man. Madigan didn't have a central contract.

edit: Only position that is not filled with a central contract holder is TH (which Mike Ross has had).

They go
    1. Healy, 2 Best, 3 TH, 4 Toner, 5 Ryan, 6 POM, 7 SOB, 8 Heislip, 9 Murray, 10 Sexton, 11 Earls, 12 Henshaw, 13 Payne, 14 Bowe & Trimble, 15 R Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Anyone else?

Taken from reading an article on independent.ie on Feb 3rd 2016 plus the few recent additions/updates (Open to correction if there are any errors):

1 Cian Healy - 28 - 2019
    2 Rory Best - 33 - 2017
    3 Mike Ross - 36 2016
    4 Devin Toner - 29 - 2017
    5 Donnacha Ryan - 32 - 2017
    6 Peter O'Mahony - 26 - 2018
    7 Sean O'Brien - 28 - 2019
    8 Jamie Heaslip - 31 - 2017
    9 Conor Murray - 26 - 2019
    10 Johnny Sexton - 30 - 2019
    11 Keith Earls - 28 - 2019
    12 Robbie Henshaw - 22 - 2019
    13 Jared Payne - 30 - 2018
    14 Andrew Trimble - 31 - 2017
    15 Rob Kearney - 29 - 2018

Sub: Centre/Wing/Fullback Tommy Bowe - 31 - 2018

Interesting it looks exactly like a full team have been centrally contracted, so arguably these would be the preferred players with everybody fit.
    I think Bowe is perhaps a long shot to get back into the Irish team again (turning 32 next Monday) with injury and other prospects coming through, so it's possible his contract may run out without further caps for Ireland.
    IMO, Henderson, McGrath, and Jackson should be added sooner rather than later.

They go
    1. Healy, 2 Best, 3 TH, 4 Toner, 5 Ryan, 6 POM, 7 SOB, 8 Heislip, 9 Murray, 10 Sexton, 11 Earls, 12 Henshaw, 13 Payne, 14 Bowe & Trimble, 15 R Kearney.
    I thought you said SOB was not on a central contract?

You need to find a hobby ;)

Taken from reading an article on independent.ie on Feb 3rd 2016 plus the few recent additions/updates (Open to correction if there are any errors):

1 Cian Healy - 28 - 2019
    2 Rory Best - 33 - 2017
    3 Mike Ross - 36 2016
    4 Devin Toner - 29 - 2017
    5 Donnacha Ryan - 32 - 2017
    6 Peter O'Mahony - 26 - 2018
    7 Sean O'Brien - 28 - 2019
    8 Jamie Heaslip - 31 - 2017
    9 Conor Murray - 26 - 2019
    10 Johnny Sexton - 30 - 2019
    11 Keith Earls - 28 - 2019
    12 Robbie Henshaw - 22 - 2019
    13 Jared Payne - 30 - 2018
    14 Andrew Trimble - 31 - 2017
    15 Rob Kearney - 29 - 2018

Sub: Centre/Wing/Fullback Tommy Bowe - 31 - 2018

Interesting it looks exactly like a full team have been centrally contracted, so arguably these would be the preferred players with everybody fit.
    I think Bowe is perhaps a long shot to get back into the Irish team again (turning 32 next Monday) with injury and other prospects coming through, so it's possible his contract may run out without further caps for Ireland.
    IMO, Henderson, McGrath, and Jackson should be added sooner rather than later.

Interesting that 26 is the youngest age on that list. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing? I suppose the trend has been for players nearing the end of their career to look abroad so they maybe don't feel it's as important to tie up the younger guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Interesting that 26 is the youngest age on that list. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing? I suppose the trend has been for players nearing the end of their career to look abroad so they maybe don't feel it's as important to tie up the younger guys?

You usually get a central contract by being first choice for the national team. Robbie Henshaw will have one next year and is 22, most players are a bit older by the time they work their way in the Ireland XV.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    You usually get a central contract by being first choice for the national team. Robbie Henshaw will have one next year and is 22, most players are a bit older by the time they work their way in the Ireland XV.

Right, so it's more like reward for work done than precautionary or preemptive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

I thought you said SOB was not on a central contract?

You need to find a hobby ;)

SOB was not on a central contract a few years ago but I think that changed about 18 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Oi, come back here with those goalposts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

its_phil wrote: »
    Weren't Payne, Bowe and Trimble all out for significant amount of time in past year though?
    And Olding...and now Nelson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

If you count Payne as a full back then he's competing with Piutau and Ludik. (But Payne will play centre)

Ulster have both recruited very well and very badly...

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Don't wanna be pedantic cos I get your point but Henshaw is 22 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Bazzo wrote: »
    Right, so it's more like reward for work done than precautionary or preemptive.

Tighthead is the interesting position left to fill for next season.
    Mike Ross would seem to have been given a Leinster contract til 2017, but no longer an IRFU Central Contract.
    It looks from the outside that Marty Moore was being lined up specifically to step into that spot, but now as he has been injured and has decided to move to Wasps next season, it throws it up in the air a bit.
    White's contracted to Connacht until 2017.
    Tadhg Furlong and Michael Bent have both signed for Leinster until 2018.
    I don't think Munster or Ulster have a Tighthead ready to force their way into the Irish team this season.
    Perhaps the spot will be left vacant for a year and will be reviewed then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Actually Robbie Henshaw is 22 but your point is well made he is the outlier in that list age wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

Is the reason for the age profile of the guys on central contracts due to the fact they are generally given to guys who are well established players?

Number 137 wrote: »
    Is the reason for the age profile of the guys on central contracts due to the fact they are generally given to guys who are well established players?
    Key players I'd suspect. The IRFU taking on the contract to ensure they stay I suppose.

• Advertisement

Makes sense I suppose. Still, there are one or two players on that list who I'm surprised got central contracts.

Number 137 wrote: »
    Makes sense I suppose. Still, there are one or two players on that list who I'm surprised got central contracts.
    Are those one or two players on contracts that end relatively soon?

Anyone else?

Good question on Jackson. I assume he has renewed somewhere along the line as there has been no mention of him. I doubt he would get a central contract yet unless his importance to the IRFU has increased in the back of Madigan going to France and Sexton's injury issues.

Henderson would someone who'd should be next in line to be upgraded, but I think he is signed on at Ulster until 2018. Can provincial contracts be upgraded mid deal?

How important are central contracts anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Have you read the last 3 million posts!!

Not significantly important really. In theory there's more money available centrally but that's not writ in stone.

Are those one or two players on contracts that end relatively soon?

They would be. I see your point. :)

mfceiling wrote: »
    Have you read the last 3 million posts!!

I don't know, I think I died after the 263rd post on the subject.

I don't know, I think I died after the 263rd post on the subject.
    What happened in the end? Did jm08 just wear the argument down to a stub as he usually does when he's wrong?*

*:D Now I've done it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Magpie1951 wrote: »
    Raw but with lots of upside in terms of ability/talent and an explosive athlete although from a Connacht point of view I would say they hope he doesn't impress too much in the Ireland camp otherwise he will be in a blue coloured jersey when his contract is up!!!!!

Def not blue, I'll guarantee you that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Def not blue, I'll guarantee you that ;)

DONT.. EVEN.. JEST..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement