Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

bilston wrote: »
    Phew I see you were.

McCloskey not involved for Ulster at all...a few ways of looking at that...interesting...

Joe didn't have anyone big enough to mind the tackle bags and discourage local wastrels from punching them. Big Stu clearly perfect for the job.

If I am wrong on this, I shall be posting St. Joe a can of the North's finest mass produced lager as a thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

rsh118 wrote: »
    Joe didn't have anyone big enough to mind the tackle bags and discourage local wastrels from punching them. Big Stu clearly perfect for the job.

If I am wrong on this, I shall be posting St. Joe a can of the North's finest mass produced lager as a thank you.
    Don't forget to send him the antidote too. :pac:

Panadol.jpg

Don't forget to send him the antidote too. :pac:

Panadol.jpg

I thought Bucky was the antidote to all things?

On a side note, I've been trying to make a list of centres for the next 10 years. So far I've got

Payne
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Marshall
    McCloskey
    Olding
    Aki

Apart from McFadden; who am I missing? And what combos would you make out of those names??

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

On a side note, I've been trying to make a list of centres for the next 10 years. So far I've got

Payne
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Marshall
    McCloskey
    Olding
    Aki

Apart from McFadden; who am I missing? And what combos would you make out of those names??

Hanrahan Madigan :pac:

Fitz is a legit addition though I guess. Earls is a winger for me.

Sammy Arnold may start lighting it up down thonder and become a potential too

Payne
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Marshall
    McCloskey
    Olding
    Aki

Tom Daly?

Combos (12/13)
    Henshaw/Payne (current one)
    McCloskey/Payne
    Henshaw/Ringrose (Probably will be the Leinster pairing so would make sense with Sexton)
    McCloskey/Olding (same thinking as above)
    Henshaw/Aki

Lots of possibilities, but the best combos would always be the ones that play together at provinicial level like D'Arcy and BOD did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Payne
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Marshall
    McCloskey
    Olding
    Aki

Olding, Ringrose and Henshaw should be the guts of our backline for the next 8-10 years. Ringrose will be 13, Olding and Henshaw ought to be 12 and 15 in whatever order.

Tom Daly?

Lots of possibilities, but the best combos would always be the ones that play together at provinicial level like D'Arcy and BOD did.

Ahhh the propaganda for Henshaw/Ringrose begins...

Always liked Daly at 20s level. Where has been in the last couple of years? Plays for Lansdowne I think?

Forgot about Fitz, his name does belong on the list even as a moderate long shot!

Olding, Ringrose and Henshaw should be the guts of our backline for the next 8-10 years. Ringrose will be 13, Olding and Henshaw ought to be 12 and 15 in whatever order.
    :eek:

For your penance write out: "Stuart McCloskey is the future at centre for Ireland" 1000 times :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Payne
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Marshall
    McCloskey
    Olding
    Aki

Rory Scannell is one of the (few!) standout performers for Munster this season

Ahhh the propaganda for Henshaw/Ringrose begins...
    Really? This from the guy who forgot Stuart McCloskey :p

The argument could equally be made for Jackson/McCloskey/Olding

Which strangely enough I made...

Do you want me to edit it out to fit your narrative? :pac:

:eek:

For your penance write out: "Stuart McCloskey is the future at centre for Ireland" 1000 times :pac:

Can I copy and paste?

His form deserves a call up but long term we will see.

Really? This from the guy who forgot Stuart McCloskey :p

The argument could equally be made for Jackson/McCloskey/Olding

Which strangely enough I made...

Do you want me to edit it out to fit your narrative? :pac:

I didn't forget McCloskey! I don't think he has as high a ceiling as the trio I mentioned.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Just like "he will be fine for Argentina"?

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Just like "he will be fine for Argentina"?

Apparently the medics said he should be fine to train on it today but Schmidt decided to have him sit it out.

Also, I think we knew this, Dave K certainly...

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/700659977816403969

Phew I see you were.

McCloskey not involved for Ulster at all...a few ways of looking at that...interesting...

Yeah but he's only on a 2 year contract rather than 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Mike McCarthy's concussion has seemingly resulted in him being ruled out for the rest of the season: http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/2016/0219/769349-mccarthy-obrien-and-keraneys-six-nations-over/

That was obviously quite a serious head injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I don't see how we can pick him when he's over there to be honest if we're hoping to keep players in Ireland.

We will, if Joe still thinks he's the best man for the job. The non-picking of overseas players is only hot air now.

Payne
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Marshall
    McCloskey
    Olding
    Aki

Peter Robb is potentially added to that list
    Also Arnold who joined Munster from Ulster seems the business, he may develop into an option

• Advertisement

Yes, he did. I am positing the outrageous theory that a coach may not share all his innermost thoughts on players at a media briefing.

Are you suggesting Joe's innermost thoughts in reality are :
    "Jackson is no great shakes, and fack it but I cant abide international kickers as flaky as that either. Mads is head and shoulders above Jackson in every respect, but since the public dont see that, I better feed them the old versatility line. It seems to be the one they at least accept to some degree. Saying Mads is better would have serious consequences for boards.ie, the internet in general, the price of crude oil, and the stability of the middle East. I just can give risk all that. Right : "Jackson is doing really well for us but it is Ian's ability to cover a few positions that is keeping him in the side right now.". Phew. Got away with!"

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Peter Robb is potentially added to that list

Potentially. But not seriously surely ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

We will, if Joe still thinks he's the best man for the job. The non-picking of overseas players is only hot air now.

Meh we'll see next season I guess but not sure what you're basing it being hot air on, only exception in recent years is Sexton. Think Nucifora commented recently about it being tougher for overseas players to get selected too.

Think Nucifora commented recently about it being tougher for overseas players to get selected too.

He did. But thats in the class of 'he would wouldnt he'. He is part of the negotiating team and will use any manner, smokescreen, spin, veiled threat etc, as necessary to do the best for the IRFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

wittycynic wrote: »
    Mike McCarthy's concussion has seemingly resulted in him being ruled out for the rest of the season: http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/2016/0219/769349-mccarthy-obrien-and-keraneys-six-nations-over/

That was obviously quite a serious head injury.

While this is a disaster for Leinster and Ireland, I'm glad he's taking plenty of time out. He's had so many head knocks in the last two years that a long break is not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

He did. But thats in the class of 'he would wouldnt he'. He is part of the negotiating team and will use any manner, smokescreen, spin, veiled threat etc, as necessary to do the best for the IRFU.

No doubt.

But I wouldn't think he has such a short term focus that he doesn't recognise such comments will haunt him if they're not accurate. Madigan as an emergency sub is one thing, Madigan as still a regular part of the 23 quite another.

Potentially. But not seriously surely ???

Over next 10 Years - who knows?
    Alot of quality options ahead of him no doubt
    But still young, a massive unit, good hands, pace, solid tackler - who is to say..
    Probably just be a very good Connacht player though, might get a few Wolfhound caps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Dunno if it was mentioned but Ryan was released back to Munster while Dillane wasn't to Connacht, could be in for a shock selection in a week's time?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Dunno if it was mentioned but Ryan was released back to Munster while Dillane wasn't to Connacht, could be in for a shock selection in a week's time?

Well, Dillane will have to bench anyway with McCarthy's season over. I would be shocked to see him start though.

Stuart McCloskey and Josh van der Flier were also retained by Ireland and neither have any hope of playing in Twickenham so I wouldn't read too much into it, probably just a case of giving more time in camp to the newer faces.

In other news, Zebo didn't train with Ireland today and isn't playing for Munster either. Slightly worrying, we're getting really thin on back three cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

While this is a disaster for Leinster and Ireland, I'm glad he's taking plenty of time out. He's had so many head knocks in the last two years that a long break is not a bad thing.

Huge huge loss - he has been magnificent this season. Let's hope he does well on this enforced break and thankfully he is signed up again with Leinster. I wonder if he would be considered for the summer tour.

Well, Dillane will have to bench anyway with McCarthy's season over. I would be shocked to see him start though.

Stuart McCloskey and Josh van der Flier were also retained by Ireland and neither have any hope of playing in Twickenham so I wouldn't read too much into it, probably just a case of giving more time in camp to the newer faces.
    With Sean O'Brien confirmed out for the tournament, the options are getting tighter in the back row too. We're not down to the stage we're at at lock but we're close enough that VdF could be one place from the bench.

Meh we'll see next season I guess but not sure what you're basing it being hot air on, only exception in recent years is Sexton. Think Nucifora commented recently about it being tougher for overseas players to get selected too.

Schmidt said just before the 6 Nations this year that players overseas aren't unavailable to them but they have less access so 9 times out of 10 they're going to defer to the guy who is in camp full time. That 1 out of 10 leaves him a little wriggle room but it will really depend on the player and the situation.

The one thing they've been 100% clear on is that moving abroad doesn't rule you out completely but if you're in competition with someone else for a place it will.

In other news, Zebo didn't train with Ireland today and isn't playing for Munster either. Slightly worrying, we're getting really thin on back three cover.

Olding playing FB for Ulster this weekend. I think?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Huge huge loss - he has been magnificent this season. Let's hope he does well on this enforced break and thankfully he is signed up again with Leinster. I wonder if he would be considered for the summer tour.

It could be a case of something similar to how they dealt with George North last season. He was told to take a long break before they'd even let him do the return to play stuff. I think he did one full contact session before the WC.

The IRFU medics will presumably still have to assess McCarthy before he can return to play, even if he takes a few months off.

With Sean O'Brien confirmed out for the tournament, the options are getting tighter in the back row too. We're not down to the stage we're at at lock but we're close enough that VdF could be one place from the bench.

Chris Henry is playing for Ulster this weekend so he's back in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Chris Henry is playing for Ulster this weekend so he's back in the mix.

I thought he already played last weekend??

techdiver wrote: »
    I thought he already played last weekend??

Yeah, didn't remember him from the team but he was on the bench alright. Either way, I'd imagine he could leapfrog Van Der Flier in selection if it gets down to it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah, didn't remember him from the team but he was on the bench alright. Either way, I'd imagine he could leapfrog Van Der Flier in selection if it gets down to it.

Dunno about that, pre-injury his form wasn't good.

awec wrote: »
    Dunno about that, pre-injury his form wasn't good.

Form? Now hang on a second...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Form? Now hang on a second...

His form was pretty poor, but you are right, that might actually increase his chances with Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gotta feel for Maccer. He's had another awesome season, got his reward, and then injury takes it away. At his age you find it difficult to see another opportunity for caps.

I also think we'll miss him against England. He's easily the strongest tight 5 player in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

All conjecture here and still open for debate and could change by next week (particularly if there are injuries over the weekend), but looking at the team selections for the provinces this weekend, it's possible to guess what the selection will be against England:
    James Cronin, Richardt Strauss and Mike Ross all on the bench for their provinces looks like they are being saved for a call up to the bench for Ireland. Cian Healy, Sean Cronin and Findlay Bealham all starting for their provinces looks more like giving him game time but perhaps a good performance could see them get up to the bench for Ireland against England, particularly Healy.
    Ryan being released to play for Munster while Dillane is tied is possibly more about giving Ben Marshall game time for Connacht and saving the 3rd choice lock in case of another injury, but would expect Ryan to still be first choice against England.
    If another lock is to be called up to replace Mike McCarthy it could perhaps be Billy Holland or Dave Foley from Munster, while Aly Muldowney from Connacht is an outside bet.
    Rhys Ruddock playing 6 while Stander is tied would seem to underline the hierarchy there.
    Tommy O'Donnell playing 7 for Munster while JVdF is tied could indicate a change at 7, although seems more likely to give O'Donnell game time and as above with the locks, to keep the next choice safe from injury should anything happen to O'Donnell. It also gives Jack Conan game time at 8 and see Jordi at 7 for Leinster. And Henry back at 7 for Ulster will be watched closely by Joe Schmidt I'm sure.
    Eoin Reddan and Kieran Marmion both playing 9, perhaps a performance could decide the No 21 jersey.
    Paddy Jackson (captaining Ulster) and Madigan both playing 10, perhaps a performance could decide the No 22 jersey.
    Luke Marshall playing 12 and McCloskey tied would suggest he is being kept free in case Payne can't recover in time for the England match, and could possibly be McCloskey at 12 and Henshaw at 13, or perhaps the other way around. Also giving game time to Cave at 13.
    McFadden playing 14 for Leinster, but with Zebo out for Munster through injury to his knee, perhaps it's between those two for the No 23 jersey.
    It will also be interesting to watch the back 3 for each province this weekend for any good performances to put pressure on the established choices.

Prediction for England match:
    1 Jack McGrath
    2 Rory Best
    3 Nathan White
    4 Devin Toner
    5 Donnacha Ryan
    6 CJ Stander
    7 Tommy O'Donnell
    8 Jamie Heaslip
    9 Conor Murray
    10 Jonathon Sexton
    11 Keith Earls
    12 Robbie Henshaw
    13 Jared Payne
    14 Andrew Trimble
    15 Rob Kearney

16 Richardt Strauss
    17 Cian Healy
    18 Mike Ross
    19 Ultan Dillane
    20 Rhys Ruddock
    21 Eoin Reddan
    22 Ian Madigan
    23 Simon Zebo

Stuart McCloskey to be the reserve if Payne doesn't recover.
    McFadden to replace at 23 if Zebo doesn't recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

.ak wrote:
    I also think we'll miss him against England. He's easily the strongest tight 5 player in Ireland.

Healy, Henderson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

case885 wrote: »
    Healy, Henderson?

think he meant currently available. We dont know what Healy is going to bring at the moment.

I always reckon Joe looks at Madigan like a long lost son. He has a fondness for the lad, and wants to give him every chance to prove himself. Has to be something like that alongside him being The Most Versatile Player in Ireland (c).

You would if you had watched the lad play his way up through the ranks. That's not a dig at Joe wearing Blue-tinted specs by the way, I really don't think he's especially provincially biased in any direction, but I do think Madigan warms his cockles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

If Madigan goes to France and is playing week in week out at 10 and suddenly looks like Dan Carter

Dye his hair black, change hairdresser, ditch the 80s wristbands

Yip it's possible alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

Just read a very good article on the42 with Keith Earls. After the team left for Paris he went home and had delayed symptoms on his way home hours after the contact training. He also has a lot of praise for Joe Schmidt and how he puts players welfare before a game. Maybe now the hysteria around Sexton will stop. It seems clear that the player comes first.

calico77 wrote: »
    Just read a very good article on the42 with Keith Earls. After the team left for Paris he went home and had delayed symptoms on his way home hours after the contact training. He also has a lot of praise for Joe Schmidt and how he puts players welfare before a game. Maybe now the hysteria around Sexton will stop. It seems clear that the player comes first.

The hysteria around Sexton is coming from George Hook and unfortunately for some reason people still listen to him.

The idea that anyone beyond Sexton and his medical team could possibly know what's best for him is laughable. The same goes for Keith Earls, Mike McCarthy, Luke Marshall, George North and any player you want to name.

What concerns me is that Sexton hardly ever seems to finish a match these days, as I've said many times I'd be selecting the bench with that in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

.ak wrote:
    Maccer.
    Completely random aside.

We gave ye a perfectly good nickname in macca and ye go with that??? My biggest problem with the henshaw transfer at this stage it what ye impose on him.

The hysteria around Sexton is coming from George Hook

What concerns me is that Sexton hardly ever seems to finish a match these days, as I've said many times I'd be selecting the bench with that in mind.

Hysteria or not, and some statto may have the figures to check the accuracy, it does seem that Jonny's completion rate capability to play a full 80 is shockingly low. Whether out and out injury, HIA, 'precautionary', or due to 'just a knock', etc, it does seem that the sound of a final whistle is not one which which he is very familiar over the last year or two.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement