Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

freyners wrote: »
    Completely random aside.

We gave ye a perfectly good nickname in macca and ye go with that??? My biggest problem with the henshaw transfer at this stage it what ye impose on him.

Henchie.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hysteria or not, and some statto may have the figures to check the accuracy, it does seem that Jonny's completion rate capability to play a full 80 is shockingly low. Whether out and out injury, HIA, 'precautionary', or due to 'just a knock', etc, it does seem that the sound of a final whistle is not one which which he is very familiar over the last year or two.

I think I looked it up last week, I think he has played 80 minutes three times since the AIs 2014.

It was either the AIs or the 6nations.

awec wrote: »
    I think I looked it up last week, I think he has played 80 minutes three times since the AIs 2014.

It was either the AIs or the 6nations.

I would grant him also, games where he was fully fit but subbed in a game already won, or when he was clearly just shagged. But guess they are very few as well.
    Nevertheless, thats a shockingly low number.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Henchie.

Robbie henshaw
    Rob hen shaw
    Robshaw?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Completely random aside.

We gave ye a perfectly good nickname in macca and ye go with that??? My biggest problem with the henshaw transfer at this stage it what ye impose on him.

Blow in? :D

Joe Schmidt weights in on boards.ie dispute to try to prevent all out war

“I think it’s really exciting that we’re going to see some young talent and we’re going to give them an opportunity going into Twickenham, Italy and a Scotland.
    It’s an opportunity for us that we haven’t really had before. We’ve always been right in the mix for the Six Nations and going as hard as we can in every game knowing that the differential in just as important as the result.”

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/0219/769398-schmidt-tells-young-guns-to-seize-their-chance/

“I think it’s really exciting that we’re going to see some young talent and we’re going to give them an opportunity going into Twickenham, Italy and a Scotland.
    It’s an opportunity for us that we haven’t really had before. We’ve always been right in the mix for the Six Nations and going as hard as we can in every game knowing that the differential in just as important as the result.”

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/0219/769398-schmidt-tells-young-guns-to-seize-their-chance/

I like the bit about having the U20's train with the senior squad at least once every 6 Nations. They're being exposed to the highest level years before they might be at it themselves. Can't be a bad thing.

I wonder though does he mean we'll actually see some new faces or just that obviously the starters that are missing mean someone else will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I like the bit about having the U20's train with the senior squad at least once every 6 Nations. They're being exposed to the highest level years before they might be at it themselves. Can't be a bad thing.
    This is the kind of thing that many people are ignorant about Joe Schmidt. It was clear from the comments about Ringrose having trained with the squad as long as two years ago that made it clear that many of the younger and fringe players get lots of exposure to the national coaching squad without a big song and dance being made of it.

This is the kind of thing that many people are ignorant about Joe Schmidt. It was clear from the comments about Ringrose having trained with the squad as long as two years ago that made it clear that many of the younger and fringe players get lots of exposure to the national coaching squad without a big song and dance being made of it.

I think we all knew that some players had exposure to the squad, I assumed it was through the academies though, there were a few Leinster guys training with them before the Wales game, for example.

I didn't realise they brought the entire U20's side out for a full session.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Sexton's rolled his ankle. Ian Keatley better get his bench warming padded trousers ready!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

.ak wrote: »
    Gotta feel for Maccer. He's had another awesome season, got his reward, and then injury takes it away. At his age you find it difficult to see another opportunity for caps.

I also think we'll miss him against England. He's easily the strongest tight 5 player in Ireland.

Gutted for the guy. He got a bad injuries v Ospreys a couple of years ago that put paid to his chances green jerseys that season too. He was one of our best guys on the pitch in Paris IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So it sounds like Dillane, Van Der Flier and McCloskey will get a shot over the next three games. I still think we'll go to Twickenham with as much experience as possible, but beyond that there could be some interesting selections ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Completely random aside.

Henners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

awec wrote: »
    Dunno about that, pre-injury his form wasn't good.
    Henners.

Attila......the Hen

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Surely it will be Henno?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

George Bernard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Gmaximum

.ak wrote:
    Henners.

Hendersonofbod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

rsh118 wrote: »
    Surely it will be Henno?

Hieno

Or the H bomb

Or vitamin-H...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Hieno

Or the H bomb

Or vitamin-H...

The simple Robbo surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Go Brazilian.

"Roberto".

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

It appears that the surname Henshaw has ties with a Parish in Cheshire.

Therefore I now propose from here on Henshaw is either called Chesh, or Alice.

Henchie
    Hench
    Hensie
    Shawser
    The H Man
    H Block
    Hens
    Henchers
    Henno
    Hencho
    The Henchinator
    Robbo
    Bobby H
    Haychers
    Natural Twelve
    Connacht
    The Henman

H Bomb and Robshaw are good though.

What was the guys real name again?

If Payne is injured who do we think will partner The Saw in the centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So based on Schmidts comments we're likely to see McCloskey start at least once this Six Nations. Considering the situation with our locks we may as well throw in Dillane. Ryan and Toner showing nothing to suggest they're worthy of keeping a starting spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Based on Schmidt's comments we will see minor changes if we Lose to england but if we win then nothing changes.
    Schmidt is some man for the spin.
    Its the injuries, the weather, the referees and now sensing an England victory he offers experimentation to quieten the doubters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

"Rob-Shaw"

No, wait...

It'll only fuel arguments about him being played out of his best position.

Based on Schmidt's comments we will see minor changes if we Lose to england but if we win then nothing changes.

Followed by
    Schmidt is some man for the spin.

Displays an stunning lack of self awareness, it really does.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Shawshank
    Henchman

Followed by

Displays an stunning lack of self awareness, it really does.

your post makes no sense. please explain.

your post makes no sense. please explain.

You've tried to attribute the opposite meaning of what Schmidt said to his words, you're engaging in spin while accusing him of it.

Anyway I would bet the house Healy will be back in for England. Really hope Schmidt follows through with saying he'll give youth a chance, there's no point at all in just picking the same team again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

For England, there'll have to be a few changes because of players missing, but I'd guess Schmidt will pick the more experienced options where available.

Regardless of the result in England, the 2 games at home against Italy and Scotland should give him better chances to test new players and I'd be surprised if he would not use those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Can we go with "hencho" for Robbie?

Pint of Henshaw there barman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I'm presuming Bendict Arnold is out

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    I'm presuming Bendict Arnold is out

I don't know if he's out but he's obviously camp.

You've tried to attribute the opposite meaning of what Schmidt said to his words, you're engaging in spin while accusing him of it.

Anyway I would bet the house Healy will be back in for England. Really hope Schmidt follows through with saying he'll give youth a chance, there's no point at all in just picking the same team again now.

You are guilty of spinning a post that was guilty of spinning Schmidt's words.
    Who is the true villain here.

Spinning :)

tumblr_nhu8zj1Ngr1tmxne6o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

Any idea where you could go about getting tickets for Ireland games in South Africa?

timaru89 wrote: »
    Any idea where you could go about getting tickets for Ireland games in South Africa?
    I would say the SARU would be selling the tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

just been reading the star sports supplement there. Apparently in Mullingar yesterday Earls was running in the outside centre channel in the absence of Payne. That makes me sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

You are guilty of spinning a post that was guilty of spinning Schmidt's words.
    Who is the true villain here.

You're named after a Sith...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

calico77 wrote:
    just been reading the star sports supplement there. Apparently in Mullingar yesterday Earls was running in the outside centre channel in the absence of Payne. That makes me sad.

Dear God not that carry on again. My faith in Joe will be rock bottom if that occurs ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

calico77 wrote: »

Puke

Not unexpected if it happens though

bilston wrote: »
    Puke

Not unexpected if it happens though

I've signed up for Scottish Boards in anticipation of my boycott.

It's worse than we thought... he's playing 10!

INPHO_01022492.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

nah he's just practising his lineout throwing, he's going to be playing hooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

As Shane Horgan said today, Healy Strauss and Ross. Go Joe, you're on a roll, do what you do best, stick with it. In the meantime matt Healy will continue to roll in the tries and tiernan o'halloran shows how a full back plays and how a full back releases a winger. Not this rob (yawn) kearney , let's just take the contact. And god knows the young rob Kearney reminds me exactly of o'halloran these days. Waltzing thru defenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

As Shane Horgan said today, Healy Strauss and Ross. Go Joe, you're on a roll, do what you do best, stick with it. In the meantime matt Healy will continue to roll in the tries and tiernan o'halloran shows how a full back plays and how a full back releases a winger. Not this rob (yawn) kearney , let's just take the contact. And god knows the young rob Kearney reminds me exactly of o'halloran these days. Waltzing thru defenses.

Thats not What horgan said though

Zebre didn't have a defence. Neither did Connacht :rolleyes:

And god knows the young rob Kearney reminds me exactly of o'halloran these days. Waltzing thru defenses.
    Joe is unlikely to be considering a fullback that the might of a well beaten Zebre can waltz through.
    I would say Rob is safe for another 2-3 seasons in green. Who gets the gig then will depend on how the centres issue develops in the meantime. Olding or Henchie woulb be my guess at this stage but usual caveats on long range forcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I know some fullbacks playing junior rugby that are brilliant at cutting through defences. Maybe Joe should consider them for the international team too. It's funny that when Connacht played Leinster TOH looked very very ordinary, maybe that had something to do with the strength of Leinsters defence? But hey sure Leinsters defence has to be miles better than anything at international level?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement